• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Nelson: Xbox One and 360 Were The Top Selling Consoles In December...in USA

Eoin

Between 50k and 90k sold in France (up to 15th of december).

The rest of for the whole of 2013:
30k in Spain.
100k in Germany.
360k in the UK.

Missing EU markets in which the XB1 has launched are smaller than Spain.

They may be smaller than Spain, but going off historical marketshare, Spain is probably the most heavily pro Playstation country. I'm not sure using it as a base to extrapolate would be very useful.

I can see it doing good numbers in Australia at least and I imagine the French numbers probably finished a fair bit higher if it's missing the two weeks before Christmas.

sony dun goofed

In total LTD, they are still ahead. But giving up one month's lead in one nation to take seemingly every other nation they have launched in? And riding that to a million+ unit sales advantage worldwide?

Not that bad a gamble, really. A single month doesn't matter much when you have 5+ years left to go. And not if that single month leads to better WW numbers.

jet1911

Great numbers for MS. I'm more impressed by the 360 selling that much though. Good things that both consoles are selling so well, maybe we won't have more cross gen games announced by the end of this year!

So wait, even with a heavily supply constrained PS4 and abundant X1s in every shelve, they're still behind overall in the US? That doesn't sound very good for MS.

MS to sell the gaming division to Nintendo next week confirmed.

feli

So wait, even with a heavily supply constrained PS4 and abundant X1s in every shelve, they're still behind overall in the US? That doesn't sound very good for MS.

Where is the 3 million number coming from? it just doesn't add up.

From November and December combined in all the 13 markets? I don't see where is the problem...

RdN

I find it amazing how some of you are genuinely pissed about this numbers.. I mean, I get that you may not like what Microsoft has done with the Xbox One, but it MUST NOT fail.

Don't you remember what Sony was like when it thought it could do anything? Have you completely forgotten what they did around the 2005-2008??

COMPETITION IS GOOD. IT'S A MUST!

Stop acting like children and celebrate that both consoles are doing amazingly well! We're the ones that are going to benefit from it.

Okay, so limme get this straight:

In November 2013, the Playstation 4, releasing in NA and the EU outsold the Xbox One in whole total sales. However both the Playstation 4 and Xbox One were both fairly neck and neck back then as well (2.1 million and 2 million for the PS4 and XBone respectively)

In December 2013 from what we've heard, the Xbox One has beaten the PS4 in total sales for the month in the US so far based off what has been reported. However, the PS4 is still leading with 4.2 million total sales worldwide with the XBone behind at around 3 million.

It seriously just sounds like that there actually isn't enough PS4's to go around and suit the high demand, but the XBone is still selling at a steady rate because there are more consoles on the shelves compared to the PS4. In terms of total sales, PS4 still has a lead, and the thing isn't even out in Japan yet which is another easy million for Sony.

Amir0x

Banned
If you want to look at it comparatively, that's one thing. But on the first page:

Well the point I am making is that all fanboys are going to spin for their console of choice; but you made a specific generalized statement:

"Can't we all just concede that Microsoft had an amazing month, particularly impressive in the face of the price and 720pgate."

You asked this of ALL of us. So what I am saying is that is not an interesting discussion. On the surface, 900k is an impressive number, especially for a $500 system that we hear is at least neutral or slightly positive for profit per unit sold. But what is behind those numbers? If say Sony sold 750k or 800k and their demand is still not even close to being met (as well indications suggest), the numbers then are "impressive", but do not paint a picture of where the console war is currently actually at. We know Sony is still overall ahead in the next-gen console sales numbers in USA given the reporting, and we also know Microsoft demand is satisfied and stock is now in excess, and Sony is not yet close by all accounts.

That is why I've always said since Microsoft did the 180s that the Holidays were not going to show us what was really going on - the numbers in January, February and March and beyond are going to be when we can really start to see how things are, since now Microsoft is in a place where stock is always on shelves, and Sony is in a place where stock is almost never on shelves for more than a few hours.

Additionally, Microsoft has the biggest next-gen title so far coming out very early in the new year, and Sony has comparatively smaller guns in the first few months. Will this change anything in the US or UK, which are really the only territories Microsoft ever had a shot in?

The other question I have is if Microsoft was close to accurate with their 3 million numbers. After this number, people are starting to say there's no way the math can be right. A lie of this magnitude would be the biggest story, and would mean we could never trust Microsoft's own reporting.

RT17

Banned
God damn there is a lot of salt in here.

U45P5029T2D364691F32DT20110317212915.jpg

Raist

Banned
They may be smaller than Spain, but going off historical marketshare, Spain is probably the most heavily pro Playstation country. I'm not sure using it as a base to extrapolate would be very useful.

I can see it doing good numbers in Australia at least and I imagine the French numbers probably finished a fair bit higher if it's missing the two weeks before Christmas.

That's reaching a bit... Absolute sales in Italy can't be hugely different from the spanish ones even if you want to invoke different market shares. MS was never leading in Italy, not anywhere close to it. So it's not gonna be like 100k.

Then there's the fact that Dec NPD numbers can't be completely taken into account either given that it covers until Jan. 4th while they made their 3M+ annoucement well before the end of December.

God damn there is a lot of salt in here.

U45P5029T2D364691F32DT20110317212915.jpg

Reminds me of these pics of XB1 piles in many stores :p

Tsundere

Banned
In December 2013 from what we've heard, the Xbox One has beaten the PS4 in total sales for the month in the US so far based off what has been reported. However, the PS4 is still leading with 4.2 million total sales worldwide with the XBone behind at around 3 million.
PS4 is leading Xbox One in the US LTD.

Decent launch number but that's likely the high point of demand until a price drop. Most consoles do well in their first few weeks of supply constrained launch, it's afterward that's more telling as supply meets demand.

PS4 is still ahead overall in NA and globally, and is still facing supply constraints while Xbox doesn't seem to be. Demand for Xbox in countries MS hasn't launched yet is miniscule. PS4 global sales will pull further ahead in the coming months as global demand is much higher.

Regardless, Xbox is doing well enough to keep getting strong 3rd party support, not doomed at all. And MS can thank their DRM-180 for a lot of those sales.

That's pretty impressive. Hopefully these consoles continuing selling really well so publishers will have less reason to continue relying on cross-gen development.

I'm assuming Sony is ahead in world-wide sales and was supply constrained? Plus haven't they launched in more markets than MS? That being said, it's still kind of impressive for MS considering all the negative pre-launch hype for the One. To me it seems like it indicates that the Xbox brand is still strong - maybe not as strong now - but still strong in the U.S. and early adopters either don't care or aren't phased by the $100 price difference or all the negative stuff leading up to launch. I could also see some of those sales coming from people wanting one of the new consoles but only being able to find One's on shelves. I know that's the case with one family member I have.

Xbox is a healthy brand in of itself. Thats all the matters.

Playstation will always Playstation.

Tax checks are coming though.

Eoin

The other question I have is if Microsoft was close to accurate with their 3 million numbers. After this number, people are starting to say there's no way the math can be right. A lie of this magnitude would be the biggest story, and would mean we could never trust Microsoft's own reporting.
Australia, Austria, Brazil, Ireland, Italy, Mexico and New Zealand, would on average have needed to sell between 75k and 85k each depending on France's total. It's doable. With launch hype and enough supply even the smaller markets could have shifted good numbers.

That's reaching a bit... Absolute sales in Italy can't be hugely different from the spanish ones even if you want to invoke different market shares. MS was never leading in Italy, not anywhere close to it. So it's not gonna be like 100k.
I never said MS was leading just that compared to Spain other markets were far healthier for them. In Italy they actually had a decent marketshare.
05l.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
That's pretty impressive. Hopefully these consoles continuing selling really well so publishers will have less reason to continue relying on cross-gen development.

I'm assuming Sony is ahead in world-wide sales and was supply constrained? Plus haven't they launched in more markets than MS? That being said, it's still kind of impressive for MS considering all the negative pre-launch hype for the One. To me it seems like it indicates that the Xbox brand is still strong - maybe not as strong now - but still strong in the U.S. and early adopters either don't care or aren't phased by the $100 price difference or all the negative stuff leading up to launch. I could also see some of those sales coming from people wanting one of the new consoles but only being able to find One's on shelves. I know that's the case with one family member I have.

They are ahead everywhere, except I think Brazil and Australia maybe? They are still ahead in the US.

TomShoe

Banned
Very good numbers for Xbox going on it's 2nd month.

I can't help but be curious, does GAF think this is still an early-adopter wave? Or is it because it's the only console in stock? I've heard a lot of rumblings earlier on saying that "Oh, lots of people are buying Xbones because they can't find PS4s," but I always dismissed it assuming that people who made up their mind would wait for their console of choice. Any thoughts?

I find it amazing how some of you are genuinely pissed about this numbers.. I mean, I get that you may not like what Microsoft has done with the Xbox One, but it MUST NOT fail.

Don't you remember what Sony was like when it thought it could do anything? Have you completely forgotten what they did around the 2005-2008??

Stop acting like children and celebrate that both consoles are doing amazingly well! We're the ones that are going to benefit from it.

I guess you are pretending that history started with the PS360 generation and the PS2 generation never happened.

Mononoke

Banned
Depends on what you mean by that.

Is the demand for the Xbone higher in the US than the demand for the Xbone in Europe. Then yes, that is the case.

Is the demand for the Xbone higher in the US than the demand for the PS4 in the US. Then we don't know that.

Makes sense. I'm just surprised is all. My perception was that the PS4 was selling more than X1 in the U.S. That and, every single place I go has an overflow of X1's. So I guess I just thought they weren't selling well.

But it seems the X1 just has more units to supply whereas PS4 is more constrained (at least in comparison). I wonder why PS4 has less supply. Was it overall demand/how they allocated it around the world?

Jomjom

Banned
Makes sense. I'm just surprised is all. My perception was that the PS4 was selling more than X1 in the U.S. That and, every single place I go has an overflow of X1's. So I guess I just thought they weren't selling well.

But it seems the X1 just has more units to supply whereas PS4 is more constrained (at least in comparison). I wonder why PS4 has less supply. Was it overall demand/how they allocated it around the world?

Combination of launching in far more countries and greater demand in nearly every country. They basically produced approximately 4.2 million total and sold 4.2 million, while MS likely produced about the same number but was able to sell 3.1 million up to the end of 2013.

Chobel

Australia, Austria, Brazil, Ireland, Italy, Mexico and New Zealand, would on average have needed to sell between 75k and 85k each depending on France's total. It's doable. With launch hype and enough supply even the smaller markets could have shifted good numbers.

Australia will have that average and maybe slightly more, 100K max
Austria less than that average.
Ireland less than average
Italy less than average
New Zealand less than average
Mexico way less than average
Brazil way way... way less than that average.

Edit: what I'm trying to say, whatever sales you're missing from that 3 mil, it didn't come from these countries.

RdN

I guess you are pretending that history started with the PS360 generation and the PS2 generation never happened.

Are you crazy? Of course I'm taking the PS2/XBOX/GC generation into consideration... It was Sony's complete dominance of that generation that resulted on what I described in my previous post.

From seeing some people talking here, looks like they want that kind of dominance for the Sony/PS4 again. That's why I said what I said. Do you, really, want that Sony back?

I surely don't.

Amir0x

Banned

I'm not saying it's not possible, just saying I want to do some more digging and try to get to the truth. If it's close enough, nobody will fault the averaging up a bit, but I think it is important we try to find out how close they were. We have all had enough of their stretching and flexing in their PRs since the DRM debacle, I think, and it's worth being skeptical.

Tsundere

Banned
I'm not saying it's not possible, just saying I want to do some more digging and try to get to the truth. If it's close enough, nobody will fault the averaging up a bit, but I think it is important we try to find out how close they were. We have all had enough of their stretching and flexing in their PRs since the DRM debacle, I think, and it's worth being skeptical.

They did say "More than 3 Million" also.

Italy less than average
But there's still Canada!

Eoin

Italy less than average
Wasn't Mexico a pretty huge for 360? I remember reading a while back it was one of there biggest markets.

Raist

Banned
I never said MS was leading just that compared to Spain other markets were far healthier for them. In Italy they actually had a decent marketshare.
05l.jpg

Fine, but the "But Italy! Spain is PS-biased" is quite frankly of little relevance. Again, there won't be 100k sales coming from there in 2013 for the XB1. It's very likely fairly similar to sales in Spain. All this in the context of the 3M+ sales, and not what's the actual potential marketshare of MS based on 3 months of data for different consoles with different prices.

Amir0x

Banned
They did say "More than 3 Million" also.

Ah yes, but to be fair, that could be 3 million and 1 units given how tricksy Microsoft is in their PR wordings. Nobody is more expert at them in being super -precise- with how they maneuver words around to get the most mileage out of it.

It's not like this comment of yours is illuminating however - the tweet specifically says NPD, so it's North America, and in any event, the vast, vast, vast majority of XBO's sales have come from the USA, where demand has been met at last with excess supply. Everywhere else in the world has become a dry dock.

Meanwhile, as hard as Sony tried, they shipped in more than 50 countries (vs. 13, in which only UK and US was of concern to MS), of which demand is high in many of them, and even though they diverted stock to the USA, every report we've had suggested they were unable to meet demand. Amazon been taking pre-orders for January shipments. I mean, it's crazy.
Retailers in Sweden seem to have no clue when they're getting restocked.
One store has a date set for June.
The price differential is no more.

Expecting a draw this month.

Good post

Top Bottom