• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major snowstorm about to hit the South (Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

I'm in Connecticut and we're supposed to get 7-11 inches today.

I heard it was supposed to snow, but didn't find that out it was going to be that much until this morning. It's not really that big of a deal up here in the Northeast, haha.

Anyway, stay safe everyone.

VariantX

Funny, I had to work a few extra hours over my typical shift because everyone buying stuff for fear of snow today. Right now the sun is out, it is blinding, and alot of people bought 6-7 loaves of bread for nothing.

I am in DC I have drive home to Charlotte Sunday, I'm basically fucked aren't I. Southerners can't drive in the snow, or rain. I should of flown.

I'm right outside Chapel Hill and it's pretty legit here. Not a full northern blizzard or anything but about 3-4 inches on top of an inch of solid ice with some wind and temps going down to 3 degrees by tomorrow night. No one's going anywhere until at least Tuesday given our lack of infrastructure dealing with snow/ice.

I'm also in Chapel Hill and I'll echo the above poster.

Greensboro NC here, snowed quite nicely, and is still going. Glad I went to the store yesterday because I'm sure everything is shut down.

My wife, who's lived in the desert most of her life until moving with me to Los Angeles, is in Georgia, by Atlanta, till next weekend to plan and be in her friend's wedding. Shes not very prepared. Today she sent me a picture of a tiny 6" tall snowman she made. :p

Cyanity

Banned
Coastal southeastern MA here and we're supposed to get 15-20 inches today. I'm having flashbacks to 2014 already.

Dishwalla

Banned
Got about 4 or 5 inches so far where I'm at in Norfolk, cars are still going up and down Monticello Ave. without too much trouble.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Soooooo ......... I'm at work right now, looking out the window at this blizzard going on ..

At least I didn't park the open parking today, so that's something ..

15941869_10158044341060430_1122166167_n.jpg

_Ryo_

About 3-5 inches so far. The snow is really powdery, and blowing off the trees and it looks a lot like a sandstorm, but with snow instead of sand. Visibilities sucks.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing here in East Atlanta but rain, unless any ice overnight was melted by 8:30 am--seems unlikely as it was 22 out when I got up.

Actually, I take that back as I'd only looked out front where there are few trees and its sunnier. Fair amount of ice on the trees and outdoor furniture in the shady backyard.

Seirith

I live in Rochester, NY so snow is normal for us here. An hour west of me got 2.5 feet yesterday, we thankfully we missed that one.

Prior to moving I use to have a neighbor who ordered pizza EVERY single snow storm. We got 1-2 feet of snow, roads were awful and boom there is the pizza person. I hoped they tipped the poor person really good. I never saw them order pizza when there wasn't a snow storm and I could always see the front of their house because my computer faced a window in which I could see their house from. I always wondered why they only ordered pizza during a snow storm!

Downhome

They called for 5" of snow for us and we ended up with a trace/dusting. They never get it right for my area, it's very maddening.

Behold, the most depressing snowman ever! I used what was left of our trace/dusting to make a 2" snowman with toothpick arms and nose, tiny chocolate piece eyes, a bacon fat scowl, and a small piece of my clementine peeling for a weird hat/hair/helmet thing. Poor little guy.

34JTZZv.jpg

They called for 5" of snow for us and we ended up with a trace/dusting. They never get it right for my area, it's very maddening.

Behold, the most depressing snowman ever! I used what was left of our trace/dusting to make a 2" snowman with toothpick arms and nose, tiny chocolate piece eyes, a bacon fat scowl, and a small piece of my clementine peeling for a weird hat/hair/helmet thing. Poor little guy.

34JTZZv.jpg

Tis lovely

Ding II

We got, I dunno, 3-4 inches in Canton, GA. And since it stayed so cold out there today, most of it is still on the ground. Kids were out sledding down our street until about 2PM, after which time the sun started heating the street up enough to get things melting. South facing roofs and driveways also cleared themselves pretty well. Stuff that wasn't tilted towards the south, or shaded, or colored black, is still covered in snow and/or ice. (For instance the snow on our lawns didn't appear to melt at all.) The high temp today was about 29F, and it's now.... 13F at 1:00 in the morning, so anything that managed to partially melt is now solidly frozen again.

We feed some feral cats across town, so I ventured out on the roads at about 3:45PM, which I figured was peak-meltage. The "heavily" traveled roads were pretty clear. The only real probs I had were on a shaded and south facing road, here in our housing tract. Traction control actually works! Who knew?

The long hill a little further from my house that claimed 4-5 cars back in 2014 featured only one crashed truck this time around, although I suppose others may have been removed by the time I got out there.

All in all, if 2014 was a "9", I'd rate this year's Georgia Snowpocalypse at about a 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom