• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major Xbox influencers and Ambassadors pulling support over multiplatform rumours

Nydius

Seems premature. Let’s hear what MS actually has to say first.
Over the top, sure.

Premature? Maybe not. Phil Spencer had an opportunity to nip ALL this handwringing in the bud yesterday and, instead, posted what could be considered one of the worst things imaginable: No denial and a “we’ll get back to you soon”. That fuels speculation further and leaves the damage festering.

Shut0wen

Normies like these are weird, also users on here that console war are also sad, imagine sucking a companys dick lmao

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Over the top, sure.

Premature? Maybe not. Phil Spencer had an opportunity to nip ALL this handwringing in the bud yesterday and, instead, posted what could be considered one of the worst things imaginable: No denial and a “we’ll get back to you soon”. That fuels speculation further and leaves the damage festering.
This was the tweet that he deleted....

y12K1Mx.png

Topher

Gold Member
I sometimes wonder why this is the case, we can attribute it to the "paid shills" stuff - but I think if you do more digging you'll get some interesting answers, I noticed following the Xbox One launch, many Xbox fans wanted to voice their opinions about their frustration, which lead to many of them making Youtube channels, podcasts, websites - and Xbox's past few years have been bad to say the least and these Xbox voices have been getting more and more relevant because of it amongst their userbase.

I think it is a combination of things. Clearly these guys have funding to help establish themselves. I think Phil Spencer and company started identifying a number of those youtube channels early on as a space where they could create a "grassroots" type of movement and began sending money their way. I think a lot of folks who relish the underdog role (I'm talking about the warrior types) have been attracted to all of this and that has established a dedicated core for Xbox. So they have created quite the network on social media, but just not enough to grow past that "grassroots" status and that was never going to be enough for Microsoft.

Wait, are people really losing their shit because Microsoft might go multiplat?

Say it is a bad joke... People are fighting over a plastic box :messenger_tears_of_joy:

FeralEcho

While their reactions are exaggerated I trully understand why these meltdowns are happening and people saying it's "just a game console bro" are missing the point and clearly don't game on the same level as these people and their responses are more childish than these guys having the meltdowns.

If you're in an ecosystem for years it's an investment,same way a sports fan gets attached to the team he's championing only even moreso because if you have a huge library of games, let's say at least 100 games,then you are invested in this thing fully and hearing things like going multiplatform turns your investment into a ticking time bomb because sure there will be a new xbox now as I doubt they'd scrap the R&D work but what about 15 years into the future,will there even be a new xbox now that there is less reason than ever to own one...

With that in mind put yourself in dedicated xbox fans' shoes,what are you gonna do,keep investing into the ecosystem not knowing whether in 10/15 years that thing will even be around? Do you buy another console or PC and spend thousands of dollars to rebuild your library? What do you do in this scenario?

This is why it's hard for someone who invested time and money in this thing,because it leaves them in limbo and I fully understand why these reactions are happening all over.

I personally have an insanely huge phisical library for my Playstation so if that were to happen to Playstation I'd be losing my shit too.

T4keD0wN

Instead of being happy that they wont have to waste space and money on having 2 different plastic boxes in order to not miss out on stuff anymore theyre sad/upset?

I fail to see how having everything everywhere is a bad thing provided that no company takes advantage of it, not to mention these are rumours and theyre missing information. Like theyre not losing anything, others are simply gaining stuff which has no impact on them.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

These people are annoying crybabies. How does Microsoft selling games on other platforms harm them? I mean I have purchased nearly a thousand games on Xbox since the early 2010's so I am definitely invested in the platform, but why should I care if Microsoft sells games on more platforms? My only real concern is what happens to my ability to download and play my digital library if Xbox stops making consoles.

Mr.ODST

Instead of being happy that they wont have to waste space and money on having 2 different plastic boxes in order to not miss out on stuff anymore theyre sad/upset?

I fail to see how having everything everywhere is a bad thing provided that no company takes advantage of it, not to mention these are rumours and theyre missing information. Like theyre not losing anything, others are simply gaining stuff which has no impact on them.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv
No competition for Sony now in a way, 100% Sony starts taking the piss and increasing prices of games, consoles and more, not any competition to try and keep them in check.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is any of this shit really that important? It's not like there's much personality between the Playstation, Xbox, and PC these days anyway - that died off with Gen 6 almost 20 years ago. Why get so animated about it?

Zheph

While their reactions are exaggerated I trully understand why these meltdowns are happening and people saying it's "just a game console bro" are missing the point and clearly don't game on the same level as these people and their responses are more childish than these guys having the meltdowns.

If you're in an ecosystem for years it's an investment,same way a sports fan gets attached to the team he's championing only even moreso because if you have a huge library of games, let's say at least 100 games,then you are invested in this thing fully and hearing things like going multiplatform turns your investment into a ticking time bomb because sure there will be a new xbox now as I doubt they'd scrap the R&D work but what about 15 years into the future,will there even be a new xbox now that there is less reason than ever to own one...

With that in mind put yourself in dedicated xbox fans' shoes,what are you gonna do,keep investing into the ecosystem not knowing whether in 10/15 years that thing will even be around? Do you buy another console or PC and spend thousands of dollars to rebuild your library? What do you do in this scenario?

This is why it's hard for someone who invested time and money in this thing,because it leaves them in limbo and I fully understand why these reactions are happening all over.

I personally have an insanely huge phisical library for my Playstation so if that were to happen to Playstation I'd be losing my shit too.
Time has shown that most shills don't play that much. Many examples have occured when checking their Xbox profiles

Pelta88

All jokes aside. I find it fascinating that there are "fans" out there raging because Phil didn't give them a heads up, personally.

Like that doesn't run foul of the SEC's rules against securities fraud and insider trading. Like Phil is willing to go to jail over their feelings.

Last edited:

Sojiro

Lol well that is some reaction. It's not like the console still doesn't have value, you can still play the games you bought on it even if those games start going to other platforms. What a bunch of drama babies, this is likely more about getting attention for their social media accounts than anything else.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Exactly my thoughts. I understand they get paid from Xbox somehow but this is ridiculous.
Its pretty obvious from all this that they don't. They are just drama queens making money and 'fame' off drama. Unless you honestly think these guys are so noble that they would stop taking those paychecks to remain true to themselves.

Taycan77

What always surprised me was just how many Xbox podcasts, Youtubers, sites, influencer's and so on there where. You have to assume many where getting kickbacks and it was an attempt to usurp traditional games media. These where people who weren't treating Xbox (or gaming as a whole) as a hobby, it was like a second job. Well, it probably was a second job for some!

So I can understand why many are taking this personally. They where used by MS to do their dirty work, and in turn spread lies and bull**** to the wider Xbox community. It was one big echo chamber that was out of touch with the gaming market as a whole.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Exactly. They will start small to condition their fanbase not to be overly concerned and then it’ll gradually increase.

A year ago, Xbox faithful were absolutely convinced Starfield and HiFi Rush were permanently Xbox/PC exclusives and would never be anywhere else. Now they’re spinning and beginning to accept they’ll be on other platforms.

Eventually they’ll be rationalizing Halo and Gears being on PlayStation. That’s the entire plan. Like I wrote in a different thread the other day, it’s the classic frog in a pot scenario.

It's inevitable that Microsoft's biggest games will be released on other platforms now. If Xbox's operational costs have become unsustainable and additional revenue streams are needed to keep the business running, what's going to bring in the most cash: releasing niche games like Hi-fi Rush or the big guns that will move millions of additional copies on PS5/Switch 2? Let's not forget that Bethesda once believed it could sell 10 million copies of Starfield on PlayStation alone?

It'll probably take a year or so for Xbox only studios to get to be able to support PS5 fully, but when that's the case expect the PS5 version to be released day 1. MS will sell more copies with simultaneous multi-platform releases than when the PS5 version is delayed by a year. That will be especially true with badly reviewed games that arrive 6-12 months late on other platforms. Games like Redfall or Starfield won't sell on PS5 either.

reinking

Gold Member
Here is my no insider, not trying to be funny, common sense take.

I believe there have been internal conversations about abandoning the console but I do not think it will be the the upcoming generation. I believe they need at least one more console generation to make/keep Game Pass sustainable while they figure things out. I am sure they already have a lot of R&D invested in new console(s).

I also believe they over invested in Game Pass early on and tried to grow it too fast. In some ways, I think that was an attempt to spend Sony out of business (or significantly impact them). I mean, at face value, Game Pass should have brought gamers over to the Xbox eco system. Unfortunately, like always online, the mass market was not there yet.

They were in a tough spot and once again they were trying to buy their way out of it with a ABK acquisition. If they could have gotten COD away from Sony it would have crippled PlayStation revenue. When regulators did not let that happen that way it was the writing on the wall. Regardless of how much or how little MS/XB wanted to invest in multi platform gaming, that is where they were headed.

With new rumors of a handheld in addition to a new console, I think the future of the rumored third party vendors for consoles might be on the horizon (after the next generation). At least a serious look into it. Regardless, I do not see MS/XB investing heavily into producing consoles after this next generation unless there is a seismic shift in the market.

I am probably way off base but it makes sense to me. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Time has shown that most shills don't play that much. Many examples have occured when checking their Xbox profiles
For them sure,most don't play as much as talk about the brand ,but for the average hardcore xbox fan that's why it would be devastating.

T4keD0wN

No competition for Sony now in a way, 100% Sony starts taking the piss and increasing prices of games, consoles and more, not any competition to try and keep them in check.
That is yet to be seen, we dont actually know what will happen. Theyve already raised the price of games to 70 and theyve also raised the price of disc consoles post-launch to 550 with "competition being around", doesnt that prove that its not xbox thats keeping them in check, but the customers? Because if that were the case this proves they cannot "keep them at check".

Cant really tell for sure if they will raise prices as a result of xbox potentially pulling out of hw space, but as of right now that is jumping to way too many conclusions at too many possibilities.

Elysium44

Banned
Wait, are people really losing their shit because Microsoft might go multiplat?

Say it is a bad joke... People are fighting over a plastic box :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Not another person who thinks they're smart by saying it's just a plastic box. That's like saying your house key is just a piece of metal, or your pension fund is just 0s and1s on a computer hard drive. It is that, but it's also a lot more than that too.

Ar¢tos

Stop with this shit.

Hardware doesn't make profit, the higher the price, the less people can afford to buy it and the install base will be small and stagnant.
They will still be forced to take price in consideration and will, most likely, need to subsidise at launch.
Higher console prices mean direct competition with PC that has cheaper games and free online and opens the gate for a new competitor to introduce hardware in the 400-600$ range, since there will be nothing sold in that slot.

Regarding games prices, they only control prices of their own games, not of 3rd party publishers, and they only release one boring AAA game per year, also, very expensive games will push more people to PC gaming.
Games' profit are also dependent on install bases, so they need to sell consoles to make money from games.

I suggest you stop and think for a minute before posting.
Unless you are intentionally spreading FUD...

//DEVIL//

To be fair, I'd be the same if anything were to happen to Steam.
You will fucking cry.. because steam decided a business plan to stop supporting deck or change their business strategy ?

U fucking kidding me now ? Gtfo man and enjoy life or master are or something wtf is wrong with u .

Mr.ODST

Stop with this shit.

Hardware doesn't make profit, the higher the price, the less people can afford to buy it and the install base will be small and stagnant.
They will still be forced to take price in consideration and will, most likely, need to subsidise at launch.
Higher console prices mean direct competition with PC that has cheaper games and free online and opens the gate for a new competitor to introduce hardware in the 400-600$ range, since there will be nothing sold in that slot.

Regarding games prices, they only control prices of their own games, not of 3rd party publishers, and they only release one boring AAA game per year, also, very expensive games will push more people to PC gaming.
Games' profit are also dependent on install bases, so they need to sell consoles to make money from games.

I suggest you stop and think for a minute before posting.
Unless you are intentionally spreading FUD...
There is released documents of them wanting to push $100 games ... how is that spreading fud you bellend

Love how when you post anything negative about Sony your instantly a fanboy and spread "Fud" it's simple, see the documents and more, Sony has had some shitty practices, they weren't event going to add backwards compact properly until MS came in with their functionality and forced Sony's hand.

I game on PC and PS5 as my main platforms, people need to stop licking Sony's arse and see the amount of bullshit they have pulled in the past to see they will just take advantage of their consumers.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

There is literally released documents of them wanting to push $100 games ... how is that spreading fud you bellend
Doubt that. Show me those official documents...
If they are emails forget it, there are also emails of MS saying a LOT of shit, but none of it is true.

Anyway, The max I pay for games is 30€. If Sony wants to charge 100, good luck with that! I dont mind waiting 2-3 years for a game, but I don't really play Sony games because they are booooring!
As long as 3rd party publisher keep their prices, who cares what Sony charges for their games.

Top Bottom