• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask teased in new official Nintendo artwork

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hey guys! Who left the Triforce on the mountains? You know very well to put it back into the Sacred Realm after you've finished using it!

You're reading too much into it. It wouldn't be a Hanabi festival without a mask and Majora is the only mask that makes sense using in a Zelda illustration.

Could someone post the wallpapers here, please? They sound nice, I would like to see them.

CassSept

as if that was ever in question. Over the past two years or so:

1. Happy Mask Man's bag is in his shop in OOT 3D
2. Miyamoto said they would move onto Majora's Mask after an original 3DS Zelda (ALBW)
3. Majora's Mask was featured in Animal Crossing and showed off by Bill Trinen
4. Majora's Mask placed inside your goddamn house, the single most visited location in A Link Between Worlds.
5. Majora's Mask soundtrack was offered as a club Nintendo prize, completely at random.
6. Majora's Mask replica at the Smash Bros invitational.
7. teases of Grezzo working on a Zelda title, including their staff advertisement.
8. and now this

amongst many other things I've since forgotten

It was mostly ignored by Nintendo for like a decade though. It was Zelda: Gaiden, and Nintendo treated it mostly like that, putting more emphasis on entries with Ganondorf (Ocarina, TWW, TP) and rarely referencing Majora's Mask. The shift only happened rather recently.

Golnei

You're reading too much into it. It wouldn't be a Hanabi festival without a mask and Majora is the only mask that makes sense using in a Zelda illustration.

5219.png

Tadaima

It's not actually that common to wear masks, although many do wear yukatas. If they're going to feature Link wearing a mask, his yellow fox mask would make more sense considering the style is a comparatively common sight at Japanese festivals.

This is most definitely a tease.

random25

I think you're digging too much into this, ZeldaGAF
When is my MM remake Nintendo!?

Just a consensus guys, if ever MM will be remade, do you prefer a portable 3D remake (3DS) or an HD remake (Wii U)?

TEJ

Just a consensus guys, if ever MM will be remade, do you prefer a portable 3D remake (3DS) or an HD remake (Wii U)?

why not both?

Golnei

I'd prefer a portable remake - the amount of work done to bring it to HD consoles isn't something that could be outsourced to a smaller developer like Grezzo, and would thus take resources away from new games.

I think we're reaching a bit on this one. >_>

HD remake. A game that "out there", zany and colorful deserves to be fully realized with the much better visuals.

L~A

I'd prefer a portable remake - the amount of work done to bring it to HD consoles isn't something that could be outsourced to a smaller developer like Grezzo, and would thus take resources away from new games.

Nintendo did just that with The Wind Waker, though. Granted, it was a from a GameCube game, but still.

I would prefer a 3DS remake. An HD remake seems like too much work, and if OOT didn't get one I don't see why its sequel should. Plus I would like Nintendo to focus on a TP HD to compliment WW HD.

StayDead

Zelda Williams also came on stage holding a Majoras Mask during the Smash bros Invitational. I mean it's pretty much confirmed it's going to happen now, it's just the case of when will it be released.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Nice, don't need to play this shit now.

I hope, that's ironic.

I'd prefer a 3DS remake over a console remake, because they could completely outsource it this way. Also, I have the game on two consoles already (GameCube, Nintendo 64), I don't need another console version. A portable version adds some real value over superficial stuff like better graphics. I'd expect a stable framerate on 3DS, too.

EDIT: Regarding the game, imo, MM ist the second best Zelda ever made. However, I think Skyward Sword is number one, so if you don't like that, this might not be too valuable to you.

It's not actually that common to wear masks, although many do wear yukatas. If they're going to feature Link wearing a mask, his yellow fox mask would make more sense considering the style is a comparatively common sight at Japanese festivals.

This is most definitely a tease.

Hey, I want it to happen as much as you do. I'm just saying, whoever did this illustration probably has no say in wether it happens or not and most likely just likes the mask.

Ok. And which of those has a whole game named after it?

Tadaima

I wouldn't write it off completely. It would be a nice title to prop up the Wii U's library and build more excitement and interest in Zelda U.

As for development resources: Grezzo could include HD assets from Zelda U, possibly contributing to the repository themselves and thereby reducing the total development time for the new Zelda. They would need to upscale a lot of MM-exclusive models and textures, but this is something that they would be doing for 3DS anyway.

I expect a 3DS port was originally planned, but the delay could be explained by the shift to an HD port. This isn't an unusual thing for Nintendo to do, so I wouldn't be surprised by either.

Golnei

Nintendo did just that with The Wind Waker, though. Granted, it was a from a GameCube game, but still.

That was also due to Wind Waker's unique artstyle combined with the higher detail afforded by the original being on Gamecube - the assets themselves wouldn't have required nearly as much updating (didn't Monolith Kyoto only retexture the vast majority of environments?) compared to a N64 game which attempts a more realistic style. In addition to the environmental geometry, textures and character models / animations being considerably overhauled, effects like fire and water would have to be completely rewritten in order to look even close to acceptable.

Tadaima

Hey, I want it to happen as much as you do. I'm just saying, whoever did this illustration probably has no say in wether it happens or not and most likely just likes the mask.

The illustrator wouldn't have sat there and prepared a random image – everything is produced according to spec. The Marketing department would have requested this image, and that department is well aware of Nintendo's release strategy for the next couple of years.

More like, it's the most "seeing teases where there are none" I've seen in a long time. How many years have we been expecting the remake now? Four?

Not even close. Miyamoto said they would consider doing Majora's Mask after making an original 3DS Zelda. That happened last year, so we've been waiting one year for MM.

And, it is happening. Probably next year. Hyrule Warriors is the Zelda game this year.

Sakura

What, no 1080p smartphone version? This is criminal.

In any case I'm not sure this is really teasing Majora's Mask. It's a festival and he has a mask on. What other Zelda mask is as popular and well known as Majora's Mask?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Majora's Mask needs to be on the 3DS so they can reused OoT3D assets so that aspect of the original MM is kept.

Haunted

As far as I know, this is the first piece of Nintendo-produced artwork to feature Majora's Mask since the game itself (discounting in-game appearances in Smash Bros. and ALBW), and could perhaps be the most conclusive piece of nonverbal evidence we have that points towards Nintendo working on a remake since the mask's inclusion in ALBW.
You're reaching harder than some of the [ridiculous math chain] = Half-Life 3 confirmed posts I've seen.

Not even close. Miyamoto said they would consider doing Majora's Mask after making an original 3DS Zelda. That happened last year, so we've been waiting one year for MM.

And, it is happening. Probably next year. Hyrule Warriors is the Zelda game this year.

But wasn't it also discussed, rumoured and commented on when OoT3D came out?

And next year is going to be Zelda U, unless Nintendo is going to launch two Zelda games next year.

random25

Looks like a 3DS version is still favored around here. I myself would want a portable remake given that it is much faster and much cheaper to develop a 3DS game, plus with OOT remake some assets are already there. But MM is the one I hope to see on the big screen once again.

why not both?

Well, it's not like Nintendo has enough resources to work on both versions.

Tadaima

You're reaching harder than some of the [ridiculous math chain] = Half-Life 3 confirmed posts I've seen.

Nintendo just drew Majora's Mask in official artwork for the first time in almost 15 years at a time of high-intensity teasing for a MM remake. How is this thread reaching more than anything else we've seen so far?!

Top Bottom