• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MaLDoHD 4.0 Final for Crysis 2 released

MaLDo

Cleanly installing the mod after deleting the folder did the trick, methinks. Found a bug in mine though. When you first approach the guy and lady talking/arguing as they leave in a helicopter, the window's bottom is missing and I can see through the mesh/geometry.

Runs at a fabulous 60fps.

I have a question. Do you plan to take a bit of time off during the C3 release? Or are you going in head first? I'd imagine you'll be taking time off, yes?

You must install two FIXES (day-one fixes) you can download in my blog.

Here, after download links

http://maldotex.blogspot.com/2013/02/maldohd-40-final-version.html

FIX 1
Lower alphatest value for Lockhart and Faraa hair material. It helps to hide the unwanted effect of hair that appears through the face.
Fix a problem with invisible concrete details in FDR abandon building.
Various fixes in Flooded Streets level

FIX 2
Due to a last minute error, the final version of the mod includes an old version of SweetFX (1.1) and SMAA shader misconfiguration.
This fix includes SweetFX 1.3 and corrected settings.

I haven't read the thread, so excuse me if it has been mentioned already, but did Maldo make gameplay tweaks as well?

I made a clean install and started a new game and I'm 99% certain Alcatraz runs way faster than normal (potentially spending less energy too / maybe jumping higher). Gould didn't even have the time to finish his speech and I was out of the building where the game starts.

If I am right, it seems like an important change to go undocumented no?

Sorry, I can't remember where I wrote all the changes into the mod. There are gameplay changes: higher power jump, fast sprint speed, more enemies, less ammo crates, enemies more agressive, etc, plus more objects, less graphical glitches, new textures, materials, effects, etc.

nashb81

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been asked before but Maldo, how long do you normally take to release your mods for the game. If they do boost performance, I may hold out on playing Crysis 3 till you release them.

MaLDo

Sorry if this has been asked before but Maldo, how long do you normally take to release your mods for the game. If they do boost performance, I may hold out on playing Crysis 3 till you release them.

I'm currently evaluating whether it is worth doing something with crysis 3. I don't like at all some aspects of modding games using your soul. For example, I'm amazed at the spread of dx10 mod for Aliens Colonial Marines. It is a "mod" that does nothing. Zero. It's a fake. The second version of that mod adds sweetfx and nothing else. But a lot of people says it's an amazing mod that improves lighting, shadows, textures.... and does nothing! Or BlackFireX mod for crysis 2, a mod that changes time of day settings for all levels. Setting all levels and all zones to the same time of day (in the morning) and deleting all lighting variations. So all the game is plain, no coloured fog and no sun movement along the game. It's a mod that can be created in two hours (and 80% of the time is opening, saving and exporting maps), but a lot of people see a lighting improvement.

However I dedicate a lot of months in virtually redo all textures of crysis 2, fixing bugs and changing gameplay, and this is the most serious review of MaLDoHD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lwsk58aLSA0

So, I'm a bit depressed. Because thousand of people demands high quality textures for every game but actually, most of them can not distinguish one texture from another.

I want no one is misleading. I am delighted with the acceptance of the mod, and I've had very good user critics. But the feeling I have is that there are few people able to appreciate the work and dedication required. I've even seen people happy with the mod and using screenshots and they did not have the mod activated. That is, they played the original game and said that the mod was great!. It is disheartening.

GHG

I'm currently evaluating whether it is worth doing something with crysis 3. I don't like at all some aspects of modding games using your soul. For example, I'm amazed at the spread of dx10 mod for Aliens Colonial Marines. It is a "mod" that does nothing. Zero. It's a fake. The second version of that mod adds sweetfx and nothing else. But a lot of people says it's an amazing mod that improves lighting, shadows, textures.... and does nothing! Or BlackFireX mod for crysis 2, a mod that changes time of day settings for all levels. Setting all levels and all zones to the same time of day (in the morning) and deleting all lighting variations. So all the game is plain, no coloured fog and no sun movement along the game. It's a mod that can be created in two hours (and 80% of the time is opening, saving and exporting maps), but a lot of people see a lighting improvement.

However I dedicate a lot of months in virtually redo all textures of crysis 2, fixing bugs and changing gameplay, and this is the most serious review of MaLDoHD

So, I'm a bit depressed. Because thousand of people demands high quality textures for every game but actually, most of them can not distinguish one texture from another.

I want no one is misleading. I am delighted with the acceptance of the mod, and I've had very good user critics. But the feeling I have is that there are few people able to appreciate the work and dedication required. I've even seen people happy with the mod and using screenshots and they did not have the mod activated. That is, they played the original game and said that the mod was great!. It is disheartening.

Don't listen to those jerks where its their job to be as controversial as possible just to get hits! Look at the real community response, that's why you do this. I understand what you are saying, but it would be a shame if you stopped doing all the good work that you have so far just because of a handful of people. Take some time out, then if you fancy doing some stuff for Crysis 3 then do it, don't do it just because you feel obligated to, its important for a modder to do it because they genuinely believe in what they are trying to achieve.

I'm playing through this now with your mod enabled with the latest quality mod by Shone (19.2c) and its fantastic. The textures are jaw dropping.

I'm having a bit of difficulty removing the HUD however. I have added the following lines and its not working:

Code:
bind l hud_hide 1
bind k hud_hide 0

In the console it is coming up that "bind is not a recognized command". Any way to get this working with your mod?

scitek

Maldo, I hope you consider doing some work on 3. Your improvements to 2 were incredible, and your mod has been essential to my experience with the game ever since it came out. From the looks of Crysis 3, I don't think that it's in as dire need of new textures as 2 was, but something like your configurator to help turn on and off specific effects could certainly be a huge help. You shouldn't be depressed, your mod is considered one of the best probably of all-time simply because of its comprehensiveness and ease of use. Thanks for helping me get countless hours out of Crysis 2!

KKRT00

Maldo, I hope you consider doing some work on 3. Your improvements to 2 were incredible, and your mod has been essential to my experience with the game ever since it came out. From the looks of Crysis 3, I don't think that it's in as dire need of new textures as 2 was, but something like your configurator to help turn on and off specific effects could certainly be a huge help. You shouldn't be depressed, your mod is considered one of the best probably of all-time simply because of its comprehensiveness and ease of use. Thanks for helping me get countless hours out of Crysis 2!

There is one cvar configurator released by Crytek already, it could be better, but its better than nothing :)
http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/download/file.php?id=2643

---
Maldo dont take posts in internet so seriously and do whatever You want and enjoy :) If You enjoyed working on modding, do it more, but if You are tired You have all rights to stop modding it further.

And trust me, many are appreciating Your work on C2, i've personally havent used version 4.0, but i had good time with version 3 combined with Particles Mod.

Sorry, I can't remember where I wrote all the changes into the mod. There are gameplay changes: higher power jump, fast sprint speed, more enemies, less ammo crates, enemies more agressive, etc, plus more objects, less graphical glitches, new textures, materials, effects, etc.

This should definitely be mentioned somewhere. I thought this was only a graphics/glitch-fixing mod.

Granted I like the gameplay changes, but one should know he's not getting the vanilla experience.

Hell, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far, did no one notice it?

GHG

This should definitely be mentioned somewhere. I thought this was only a graphics/glitch-fixing mod.

Granted I like the gameplay changes, but one should know he's not getting the vanilla experience.

Hell, I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far, did no one notice it?

Its better than vanilla so it doesn't really matter...

jujubeads

So, I'm a bit depressed.

:(

if it's any consolation i think your mod is the best visual enhancement mod out there, for any game. the only stuff i can think of that comes close to rivaling it in quality is the work jeanluc761 did on the mass effect games, and his was a comparatively small effort.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.

Dude, your mod makes C2 the best looking game I've ever played. This is the internet there will always be people who won't stray away from ripping people's projects to shreds regardless of their quality.

For what it's worth your mod made C2 one of my favorite games of recent times if nothing else for the tweaks ( let alone the amazing texture work ). I still have a huge folder dedicated to nothing else than screenshots I took from version 3.0 and 4.0 beta. Know that there are a lot of people out there who appreciate your work and would like nothing more for you to continue making the Crysis games better. Hell I'm seriously contemplating waiting to finish C3 until I can play it like I played C2, with Maldo ;).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
:(

if it's any consolation i think your mod is the best visual enhancement mod out there, for any game. the only stuff i can think of that comes close to rivaling it in quality is the work jeanluc761 did on the mass effect games, and his was a comparatively small effort.

Yeah, JeanLuc and Maldo's work are about as good as it gets when it comes to texture mods. Maldo takes a few more liberties, but they're always contextual and appropriate, meanwhile JeanLuc essentially made an unofficial official high res texture pack. Both took professional work and made it better.

FACE

Banned

Your mod is amazing Maldo, don't be disheartened.

Addnan

Your mod is amazing Maldo. I bought Crysis 2 a long time ago, but hardly played since it looked like shit, installed your mod over the weekend and jaws were dropped. Keep up the good work.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Spreading some love. Mostly 3.0 stuff but still.

crysis22012-10-1001-2byswk.png

crysis22012-10-1001-2jcso2.png

crysis22012-10-1020-0u1s54.png

crysis22012-10-1212-3x8spn.png

crysis22012-10-1913-5sxst5.png

crysis22012-10-1913-5sjsrh.png

crysis22012-10-2112-52csa7.png

crysis22012-11-1422-1m5s7i.png

crysis22012-11-1817-1eusw6.png

Takuan

In the Machima video, it looks like the game runs smoother using Maldo than it does using the official pack.

I'm going to buy Crysis 2 the next time it goes on sale just so I can give this mod a try. It looks like next-gen stuff.

Its better than vanilla so it doesn't really matter...

As I said I like those changes. But:

Better is subjective. For example if I run too fast and Gould doesn't have time to finish his speech before I reach a trigger of a cutscene, his speech will skip. I only played a few levels but this happened plenty of times. It definitely makes the game feel unpolished (regarding this aspect).

Better is not always.. better. What if I want to have the vanilla experience gameplay-wise, because eg I want to write a review of Crysis 2 on my blog?

All I'm saying is one should know what he gets. If anything it'll attract MORE people, since most people that found Crysis 2 disappointing, they were disappointed by both graphics and gameplay. It's win-win to mention it! :p

Spazznid

Sorry to hear about that, but, in all honesty, those guys aren't your target audience. As soon as the one dude said Foilage, I almost puked. They compared your textures in two environments which were actually the exact same level, so really one environment...

Don't take what they say too seriously. If they'd taken three minutes to look over some of your example pictures, they'd realize how retarded some of the stuff they were saying was. There are plenty of people who appreciate what you do and most of them don't/won't post it on the web. Most just enjoy the experience, and never give their input or praise. People usually only speak out when they're mad, so the fact that you've got MUCH less angry reviews and posts than FAKEFACTORY should tell you something...

If modding is a pain, then don't be pressured to do it. I'd love if you continued with Crysis 3, and I assume many others would as well, but I'd never ask you to do something you didn't enjoy. You've got to remind yourself sometimes that you should be doing this mainly for you. Everyone else comes second. That's how FAKEFACTORY works. Despite what you may think/know of his ability or his mod, you've got to commend him for walking through all the hate he gets and continuing to share what he's been working on. It's for his own use, but he shares it because there are a few people who really, truly love what he does.

From what I've seen, you get almost completely positive comments, and that's got to mean you're doing something right.

Vitor711

Having just played through Crysis 3, there are so many gorgeous, open environments that suffer from a complete lack of enemies. I think it's for pacing reasons i.e. to break up the action but a few of those areas look so perfect for a decent firefight.

Luckily the basic texture work is actually up to snuff this time but so many of the changes you made to 2 would translate wonderfully to 3.

Your mod work truly is astounding and it would be a damned shame to see you forgo any future projects due to a few negative opinions. If you had any previous intent to have a go at 3 also, you should. Not just for the benefit of us fans but also for yourself if it's something that you enjoy doing and get something out of. Don't let a few idiots out there get you down. Do what you want to do and if you're happy with the results, then that's enough.

I'm currently evaluating whether it is worth doing something with crysis 3. I don't like at all some aspects of modding games using your soul..

Well, MalDo, I will say this, I know how you feel. It's how I felt after modding Crysis 1.

I remember pouring my heart and soul into Crysis 1 with my friends and the CCC mod we developed (it was only cvar/ToD tweaking, no amazing texture work like yourself). Performance increases and ToD Tweaking was a big deal then, but that is not how Crysis works anymore, the cvar and ToD systems are much different, so is level packing and modding capabilities... so I understand why you wouldn't want to put your soul into Crysis 3. ... back in the day I started making CCC for myself and then I did it for the fans of it too, but by the end I was tired of the game, depressed of the time I spent, and I never even used my own CCC mod to play through the game, until years later when I had upgraded my PC.

I really admire your work in Crysis 2, truly. (saying that doesn't mean much coming from me) but... Even if you never touch a texture in Crysis 3: I think you could at least try to develop a cvar tweak for performance and one for maximum visuals using your vast current knowledge of the engine.I'm not sure if your Crysis 2 variable tweaking is able to work in Crysis 3, but once cvars are unlocked and more well known what they ACTUALLY DO in 3, I think the community would appreciate your efforts.

I think you could bring great benefits for those who want performance increases seen with your Crysis 2 work, along with those who want maximum visuals/graphics. Thanks.

Grief.exe

I can actually see how you would be disheartened after watching a review like that. Probably one of the biggest jokes I've every seen.

I'm pissed off after watching that, I can only imagine how you feel.

I don't know what you do for a living, but if you are looking into getting into the gaming industry, this is the way to do it.
Everyone knows your name right now and knows that it is synonymous with quality textures.

I remember reading a Valve interview where someone asked an employee what the best way to get hired is. And he replied with, 'create something.' I'm paraphrasing here, but he made apparent that if you even want to be considered at Valve, or a top firm for that matter, you need to go out there and make your own game, textures, DOTA 2 item, etc.

I would say take a break from this in general, and maybe a permanent break from Crysis. Come back and focus on a popular single player game that could use some textures, or an older game could be interesting too. Some kind of change of pace from Crysis.

maximum visuals

I keep saying this in the Crysis suit voice.

Maximum Armor
Maximum Visuals

Yasae

Banned

For those who have been down this road (again........and again................and again), it's not surprising that a lot of the feedback you get is useless. Nature of the beast.

I've used the mod myself and the difference is easily night and day. You're got a good product here - and the dust has settled. I also donated. ;)

wowzors

Sorry to bump this but I have to ask this.

Has anyone else had problems getting this to work?

I just bought crysis 2 maximum edition off of origin. Fresh install, installed Maldo HD 4.0, then copy and pasted Fixes 1 and 2, and now I get Crysis 2 has stopped working every time I try to startup the game. That and it reverts to 24hz :(

Edit: Closing out Direct3dOveride makes the game work! but its still stuck at 24hz, why?

Spazznid

Sorry to bump this but I have to ask this.

Has anyone else had problems getting this to work?

I just bought crysis 2 maximum edition off of origin. Fresh install, installed Maldo HD 4.0, then copy and pasted Fixes 1 and 2, and now I get Crysis 2 has stopped working every time I try to startup the game. That and it reverts to 24hz :(

Edit: Closing out Direct3dOveride makes the game work! but its still stuck at 24hz, why?

You're most likely playing through HDMI or using a tv, or at least the game thinks you are.

Alt-tabe a few times, or create a custom resolution like 1920x1079 so that you can get higher than 24 hertz.

wowzors

You're most likely playing through HDMI or using a tv, or at least the game thinks you are.

Alt-tabe a few times, or create a custom resolution like 1920x1079 so that you can get higher than 24 hertz.

Thanks, worked like a charm! Made a 1916x1080 and just ran it through that and 60hz registered.

I was looking at the Phantom thing and i was pleasently surprised to see that Maldo posts here. At least i didn't remember the fact recently.

First i must say i admire the work you do and even more because you share this with other gamers. Saw your mod at a friends house... astonishing piece of work.

I would like (if possible) to ask something. We keep hearing how development costs skyrocket with each new cycle. Asset creation is pointed out as one of the big culprits, high quality textures among them. So i was wondering how 1 man alone goes on to produce work that in some instances surpasses the originals and more over share it for free? Or at least hear your take in the matter?

Well at the very list i dug up the thread, needs as much exposure as possible.

Thorgal

Sorry for dragging this topic back from the dead but i just bought this game and i wanna ask if i should play through it vannila first or play imediately with the mod installed?

tauke

With Crysis 2 part of the Humble Origin Bundle, I'm interested to try out this awesome mod and I wonder if there's any working link for the fixes on Maldo site as it is not working (Dropbox missing file error message).

While I can get the installer RAR files from other torrent sites, I can't seem to find or might overlook any link to the fixes.

Is the fixes necessary for a smoother experience?

Anteater

With Crysis 2 part of the Humble Origin Bundle, I'm interested to try out this awesome mod and I wonder if there's any working link for the fixes on Maldo site as it is not working (Dropbox missing file error message).

While I can get the installer RAR files from other torrent sites, I can't seem to find or might overlook any link to the fixes.

Is the fixes necessary for a smoother experience?

I just use the direct download link on his blog that comes packaged with the 2 fixes, but I've uploaded them to mediafire if you want them:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wwzs0f26a7i8rcx/MaLDoHD_4.0_FIX_1.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/e94pzbrhsr90lkb/MaLDoHD_4.0_FIX_2.rar

I just downloaded this and gave it a try, and man the game runs better with way better textures, what kind of sorcery is this? Sad I couldn't get the fsaa+sweetfx to work though because I'm on win 8 :(

Really impressive work! I'm just running around looking at textures rather than playing the game though, lol.

tauke

I just use the direct download link on his blog that comes packaged with the 2 fixes, but I've uploaded them to mediafire if you want them:

I just downloaded this and gave it a try, and man the game runs better with way better textures, what kind of sorcery is this? Sad I couldn't get the fsaa+sweetfx to work though because I'm on win 8 :(

Really impressive work! I'm just running around looking at textures rather than playing the game though, lol.

Thanks for the links! I will be setting everything up later and see how it performs. The default Ultra settings in Crysis 2 runs really bad even on a GTX 780 at 1080p. Here's hoping the performance optimization by Maldo will improve the FPS.

Been trying to get the fixes without having to download 1.5 GB~ again, thank you very much!

Does this mod work with the Origin version? I would like to know before I install it or if I should just do it through Steam. I am not interested in the rest of the series.

I just installed the mod but it looks like I havent been running it right. Using the new shortcut to start the game it does skip intro videos but I dont see the Maldo logo on the splash screen. If I load the mod and restart the game I do see the logo. Unfortunately when I try to continue my current game it crashes. I'm guessing you cant continue from a previous non-mod save?

I have no idea what level to load either. The mod levels are listed in alphabetical order instead of chronological and they are listed by location which I dont think the game uses at all. Which mod level should I load for Dead Man Walking?

Edit: Definitely can see the improvements now. Unfortunately some bad aliasing now on the second highest setting. Weird.

Top Bottom