• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Male birth control options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynar

Hang on OP, it's only because of Trump that you're looking into male contraception, what the fuck? It's your dick, just assume contraception is always your responsibility and be prepared. Fucking hell what are your schools/parents teaching you?
This is the type of shit that got Trump elected. Don't attack people and provide more constructive feedback. You're being just as militant as a Trump supporter.

Proelite

Rhythm method. Ive being successfully doing it with many different girls for over 15 years. Never had any scares.

Dehnus

With Trump becoming president and the GOP becoming more emboldened in their quest to control women's reproductive rights I'm starting to think I need to learn all I can about alternatives.

I know condoms, but when married or with a sole partner it has some downsides with sensation, obviously this is currently my default.

I read up on vasectomies thinking they were easily reversible but apparently this is not the case and you shouldn't get one unless you're absolutely certain about not wanting kids, and I think I do.

There was also a promising drug that was in the human trial stage and was proving effective but it looks like the side effects were too great to bring it to market.
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...-killed-after-men-complain-about-side-effects

So guys, is there anything I'm missing? New developments in the arena?

It's called a condom and is extremely cheap. In fact here in Norway, they can deliver them free to your house!

Use one at all times and you should be safe. They do not fail, they can hold ten liters of water without failing, so your 10cc's should be fine too. Yes Condom, cheap, efficient and reliable! If any car from the USA was as resilient, efficient and cheap as a condom they'd still be market leader, and not behind the rest of the world :).

Dehnus

wait? Planned Parenthood actually states withdrawal as a valid option in the USA?

What is this the 1950's? Everybody in school learns that even the pre-seminal fluid can impregnate you as it CAN contain spermatozoa. But I guess if you list "abstinence" then I guess withdrawal is valid too :(.

I mean, why not put Castration on that list as well. Or even better put it on the list of "Female forms of Birth control" :p. And show a hatchet chopping a carrot as a mental picture :D.

couldn't find any viable solution

after bashing our head for months, my partner decided to try the vaginal ring

she always had problems with pills and patches, but she's fine with the ring

Of course after talking with a doctor

Fliesen

Some doctors won't insert an IUD in a woman who hasn't had children (since this was previously the recommendation for IUDs). Also, I've been told the insertion is incredibly painful.

Not that IUDs aren't an extraordinary invention, it's just that there are still downsides.

Wait, she was on the pill and stopped taking it for 2 weeks? I must be understanding you wrong, because in that scenario it really shouldn't be that surprising the birth control didn't work.

ymmv. (or your partners, more specifically)
When my girlfriend has her (copper) IUD replaced every ... 3(?) or 5(?) years, i accompany her to the obgyn because - while the insertion isn't painful per se - she's just super dizzy afterwards. (like - wouldn't wanna drive a car the following hours). The following days she does experience something similar to light / medium menstruation cramps, but that seems to be about it.

The yearly check-ups are (according to her) no big deal whatsoever.

Me and my girlfriend were talking about this the other day, and we wish there were more options. Lots of conventional methods have their drawbacks for both of us.

Some doctors won't insert an IUD in a woman who hasn't had children (since this was previously the recommendation for IUDs). Also, I've been told the insertion is incredibly painful.

I had the IUD for a few months after the birth or my first child. Not only was the insertion painful, but it never fully stopped hurting. I went back to the doctor to make sure it was placed correctly and they assured me it was. My husband could also feel it and it made sex sometimes pretty uncomfortable for me. I wish I was one of the many women that can take advantage of this as an option because I HATE the pill.

Greddleok

What exactly are the Trump administration's plans for the female birth control pill? I thought Republicans were ok with the pill, just not ok with abortion.

And this thread is reaffirmation that, after children, a vasectomy was the way to go.

Before that tho, my wife used BC. In the time between Kid 1 and Kid 2, we used condoms. She didn't like having to take something every day, and I was cool with that.

this hat

M43-cap-fieldgray.jpg

Matty77

Gynaecomastia 18 (5.6%) <--- Moobs

20 people dropped due to various sides. One of those sides was limp dick. One dude had to quit because of blood pressure issues, and some other guy was having heart problems. One guy was infertile 4 years later. And the failure rate was 7.5%. That's a tough pill to market.
Where are you getting your numbers? Because I am not finding those cases, which are a very small sample and every drug test has outliers.

And it wasn't a pill it's an injection. I am not going to keep arguing with you but I stand by what I said women's birth control has just as bad effects and also failure rate, plus some of the new ones cause blood clots ( trust me those are fun) yet it's okay for them, it only becomes an issue when it's men.

Barzul

I had the IUD for a few months after the birth or my first child. Not only was the insertion painful, but it never fully stopped hurting. I went back to the doctor to make sure it was placed correctly and they assured me it was. My husband could also feel it and it made sex sometimes pretty uncomfortable for me. I wish I was one of the many women that can take advantage of this as an option because I HATE the pill.

Damn this sucks to hear. I wouldn't want to risk putting my girl in constant discomfort. Seems like everything has their drawback.

Hylian7

My fiance got Nuvaring recently (replacing the pill) and she likes it. You may or may not like it depending on what you don't like about the pill. If you don't like having to remember to take it every day, then you probably want to get the ring, but if it's side effects the ring literally does the same thing.

Also I have never felt the ring during sex.

Cappa

Banned
This thread is the most Ive ever seen "outercourse" be used before... I know its existed but people just say oral or anal. lol

Any gaffers have experience with vasectomies? Been thinking of getting one for a while as I don't want kids. How's the process and how much did it cost you?

My fiance got Nuvaring recently (replacing the pill) and she likes it. You may or may not like it depending on what you don't like about the pill. If you don't like having to remember to take it every day, then you probably want to get the ring, but if it's side effects the ring literally does the same thing.

Also I have never felt the ring during sex.

My wife did the ring. Worked great.

Greddleok

My girl really likes the pill. It's helped with her skin and made her periods more consistent. Obviously it's different for every woman though, she's just one of the lucky ones.

Keri

Yeah, I was planning on an IUD after the birth of my child, since it doesn't interfere with breastfeeding, but the possible side effects made me decide to go with the route I was more familiar with. I'm fortunate to have never had a problem with the regular pill. In particular, I was told that with an IUD there could be heavy-to-light sporadic bleeding for up to 6 months, which I really didn't want to deal with. Since I didn't have that side effect with the pill, I went with mini-pill while breastfeeding, then back to the regular pill ASAP. Sorry the pill doesn't work for you! Birth control can be really difficult to figure out and there really aren't any perfect options.

Solo

My girlfriend uses the Nuvaring and I cum inside every time. No unexpected pregnancies yet in 2.5 years. Works for us. She hated the pill so her doctor got her on the Nuva a few years ago.

Barzul

My girlfriend uses the Nuvaring and I cum inside every time. No unexpected pregnancies yet in 2.5 years. Works for us. She hated the pill so her doctor got her on the Nuva a few years ago.

You're the second poster to bring this up, researching it.

This sounds incredibly similar to my girlfriend's experience with both types of IUDs. She had pretty much constant cramps. Also even the one that supposedly wasn't hormonal made her experience terrible mental side effects of anxiety and depression. I'm so glad she got rid of them because she's so much happier now. Such a shame they didn't work for her after all the hard work that goes into having them. She hates the pill too. And the ring made her feel "crazy." I so desperately wish there were more options for men.

Zoe

Where are you getting your numbers? Because I am not finding those cases, which are a very small sample and every drug test has outliers.

And it wasn't a pill it's an injection. I am not going to keep arguing with you but I stand by what I said women's birth control has just as bad effects and also failure rate, plus some of the new ones cause blood clots ( trust me those are fun) yet it's okay for them, it only becomes an issue when it's men.

IIRC, the incident rates were higher and more severe than what occur for women.

And maybe the standards should be raised for female birth control rather than making everyone suffer?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
wait? Planned Parenthood actually states withdrawal as a valid option in the USA?

What is this the 1950's? Everybody in school learns that even the pre-seminal fluid can impregnate you as it CAN contain spermatozoa. But I guess if you list "abstinence" then I guess withdrawal is valid too :(.

I mean, why not put Castration on that list as well. Or even better put it on the list of "Female forms of Birth control" :p. And show a hatchet chopping a carrot as a mental picture :D.
The mindfuck is that the real world failure rates for condoms aren't that much better than withdrawal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Aren't all of them that require user action pretty bad when looked at on a several-year timeline? Even pills because of slip ups like:
Everything other than IUDs/implants and sterilization are pretty bad. But combining two methods can help your chances. Like condoms and the pill. There is an 18&#8453; and 9% chance that either one will fail respectively, but only a 2&#8453; chance that they will both fail at the same time.

harSon

Banned
My girlfriend has a birth control implant in her left arm (Implanon). It lasts three years, and she loves it since it stops her periods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom