• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man sentenced for stabbing date 119 times after learning she was trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://nypost.com/2017/07/24/man-sentenced-for-stabbing-date-119-times-after-learning-shes-trans/

PASCAGOULA, Miss. — A former Navy sailor has been sentenced to 40 years in prison for the 2016 stabbing death of a transgender woman in Mississippi.

Dwanya Hickerson, 21, pleaded guilty Thursday to murder in the killing of Dee Whigham in a St. Martin hotel room on July 23. Hickerson will also have to serve 15 years for a robbery charge. He could have faced the death penalty if he had gone to trial on the original charge of capital murder.

Autopsy results show Whigham, 25, was stabbed 119 times. Many of the wounds were to the victim’s face, and her throat was slashed three times.

Jackson County Sheriff’s Deputy Leo Allen said surveillance video showed Hickerson and Whigham walking together into a Best Western Hotel room around 8:30 p.m. He said Hickerson was seen leaving the room alone about 23 minutes later, his shirt around his neck, WLOX-TV reported. Before leaving the room, he took a shower.

Hickerson, a New Orleans native, was training at Keesler Air Force Base to be a weather forecaster, according to the Sun Herald .

Hickerson said in court Thursday that he and Whigham had been chatting online for a couple of months but had never met in person. He said they decided to meet while she was in Biloxi with friends.

He said Whigham picked him up at the gate of Keesler and the two went straight to the hotel where Whigham was staying. He said after they had a form of sex at the hotel, she told him she was a transgender woman.

“I lost. I lost it,” he said, saying he really didn’t remember much afterward.

Whigham’s mother, Vickie Blackney Whigham, criticized Hickerson’s punishment.

“I think the plea is a slap in the face,” she said. “He gets a chance to see his family and I don’t have that chance with my child.”

Well if you are transgender you should let the person know. I mean it's fucked up but you gotta let the person know.

Yeah then they can stab you before you guys have sex what a great plan.

Don't you dare try to put you in an ounce of this on herm there is never any excuse in any situation to assault someone like this.

Vestal

Gold Member
Not trying to defend the guy, cause yeah he deserves to rot in jail.. But why did she wait till after sex to tell him?

Given how fucked people are in the head in this country that sort of information should come first if it is ever is going to be discussed.

Barzul

Only 40 years? Fuck that. This psycho needs to be put away for life.

40 years isn't exactly a small amount of time. Life is definitely warranted for this case though, so I agree with you. I hope the sentence is without parole.

RIP to the victim.

ohlawd

40 years is nothing

this dude stabbed somebody 119 times and only gets 40 years. how

He also has another 15 years for robbery. He's not getting out anytime soon.

goddamn, I think everything put together isn't enough. dude should be locked away forever

God damn.

This is why rigid masculinity is so toxic. Some men are so irrationally terrified of being "gay" that they feel the need to destroy the "threat" to their straightness.

I mean, in the abstract, it's probably better to get this out into the open before getting sexual, but nothing justifies this.

I'm honestly surprised they sentenced him as long as they did, considering America's general attitude toward trans people.

Vestal

Gold Member
God damn.

This is why rigid masculinity is so toxic. Men are so irrationally terrified of being "gay" that they feel the need to destroy the "threat" to their straightness.

I mean, in the abstract, it's probably better to get this out into the open before getting sexual, but nothing justifies this.

I'm honestly surprised they sentenced him as long as they did, considering America's general attitude toward trans people.

It is a sad reality. Its sort of a ticking time bomb in some men. Personally I don't give a shit lol. I once got into a very good convo with this girl at a bar, after a bit she came out and told me she was trans (You seriously could not fucking tell, like holy shit) and well I told her I wasn't interested in that kind of thing, but we kept chit chating the rest of the night. She did tell me however that in other instances it has been pretty fucked up when she tells a guy, which is why she had mostly given up going to "normal" bars.

I'll never understand the sentencing structure of America. It's all over the place. This dude murdered someone and stabbed them 119 times and only gets 40 years?? I just don't get this country.

ohlawd

mods were quick on that one.

she told someone and paid for her life. and you post that bullshit? enjoy the vacation and think next time you post.

Only 40 years? Should've been a year for every stab.
VAaBpei.gif

Nice to see justice being served. This is why I always play it safe, disclose before hand, have friends for back up, and play it maybe a bit paranoid.

The Mule

119 times in the face?

I'm usually against the death penalty, but in cases like this I think it's appropriate. World doesn't need people like that and they don't deserve a second chance.

Steel

Banned
That King post is rather disheartening. The worst part is that there's a large segment of people who will think that the moment they see this headline.

Guy should at least be looking at life. I doubt he'll serve the whole 40.

Laiza

Only 40 years? Fuck that. This psycho needs to be put away for life.
As a transperson I am one of the last people who wants to defend folks like this...

But this is not the way to go. We can fix people like this. Instead of this eye-for-an-eye, throw a life away for another life sort of crap, we could reform their mentality to recognize the humanity in anyone and never hurt anyone again.

But that's not the easy route, no. Of course it's much simpler to just want to make them pay. I get that... but listening to our baser desires rarely improves things over the long haul.
It's 40 years guys, his life is over. Do we really need a circle jerk of "he should've gotten 1000!"
And this, too.
Well if you are transgender you should let the person know. I mean it's fucked up but you gotta let the person know.
kingdaddy157
Banned
(Today, 11:00 PM)

Thank you moderators for your timely intervention.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Should have been life in jail at the very least. I'm politically left on almost every issue. Murder is one of my big hangups. IMO if you take innocent life...

Hero

What a piece of shit. That's absolutely terrifying. That's such a light sentence.

I am asking for educational purposes but is there a best practice for revealing that you're transgender to someone? Nobody should ever have to be fearful of their lives but given so many horror stories like this, I would think that has to be a subject that needs to be approached carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom