• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man sentenced for stabbing date 119 times after learning she was trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a piece of shit. That's absolutely terrifying. That's such a light sentence.

I am asking for educational purposes but is there a best practice for revealing that you're transgender to someone? Nobody should ever have to be fearful of their lives but given so many horror stories like this, I would think that has to be a subject that needs to be approached carefully.
the only experience I have with this in rural Ohio is she clearly labeled on her dating profile that she was in transition. it shouldn't have to be like that.

What a piece of shit. That's absolutely terrifying. That's such a light sentence.

I am asking for educational purposes but is there a best practice for revealing that you're transgender to someone? Nobody should ever have to be fearful of their lives but given so many horror stories like this, I would think that has to be a subject that needs to be approached carefully.

I would think it's best to do so straight away, if they are cool with it... proceed. If not part ways. Will be doing yourself a favour in case it's a unstable fucking nutjob like this guy here

So he was carrying a knife to a date?

They were in a hotel room, maybe ordered food.

Speely

Banned
Oh my god... This is beyond sad. I can't believe that there was a gaffer who jumped to victim-blaming that quickly.

We are in a fucking crisis right now. I grew up with people that I could see doing something like this in certain situations. That's scary.

This person was murdered for hiding something initially, when almost EVERY FUCKING PERSON HIDES TONS on their first date.

The difference? It's ok when it's something negative like a substance abuse problem or trust issues. That's "human."

But a trans person being hesitant to talk about it with a stranger? OH HELL NO.

Case in point that trans and non-binary folks cannot try to live outside their (threatened) bubbles without fear of getting literally fucking killed.

Goddamnit.

Pray that the person you're telling won't murder you, apparently.

It's 40 years guys, his life is over. Do we really need a circle jerk of "he should've gotten 1000!"

It's 40 years with the possibility of parole, so it's not really 40 years. It seems like they wanted to go murder in the first/capital murder, but the defense would have argued crime of passion/no premeditation, so they went for the lesser murder charge. Life sentence with parole wouldn't seem out of place here, so honestly I think 40 is a little light.

Man is a psycho. Deserves a life term.
Not victim blaming but the she could've been more open during introductions, would have saved her life. Again, not excusing what the crazy did but finding out something like this will surely bother most people, best to be upfront if you plan on getting intimate knowing how fucked some people can be in the heads.

I make it clear in bold letters at the top of my profile, and generally only date girls or bisexual guys who I know are okay with for this reason.

Hero

the only experience I have with this in rural Ohio is she clearly labeled on her dating profile that she was in transition. it shouldn't have to be like that.

Yeah I've had a handful of interactions but only one where it was directly involving me and the girl told me after there was some mutual interest. Nothing ever came of it but she thanked me for being polite and 'cool' about it since obviously it's a taboo subject for a lot of people. Totally agree it shouldn't have to be like that.

Laiza

Ask a moderator.

Then ask yourself why is this bothering you?
Well, it bothers me because we shouldn't be using the justice system for retribution and revenge.

But that's just me. And apparently I am a tiny, tiny minority in the United States of A. What a shame, that.

I'll never understand the sentencing structure of America. It's all over the place. This dude murdered someone and stabbed them 119 times and only gets 40 years?? I just don't get this country.

Caitlyn Jenner killed someone and didn't even serve any time. US laws make no sense.

For him to stab her 119 times, I wouldn't be surprised if the guy already had "uncomfortable" sexual feelings that he's been trying to repress and has internalized hatred for.

AoM

It's 40 years with the possibility of parole, so it's not really 40 years. It seems like they wanted to go murder in the first/capital murder, but the defense would have argued crime of passion/no premeditation, so they went for the lesser murder charge. Life sentence with parole wouldn't seem out of place here, so honestly I think 40 is a little light.

Yeah, lack of premeditation is what came to mind.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
While what he did was bad, prison should be about rehabilitation and not punishment or else the system is not much better then him.

Edit: what Laiza said.

Azuran

Banned
”I lost. I lost it," he said, saying he really didn't remember much afterward.

Wow. I think he did a little bit more than that. He deserves to be locked away in solitude for the rest of your life. 40 years is a fucking joke.

It's amazing how fucking terrified some people are of being seen as anything less than masculine. Violent masculinity is so fucking toxic.

While what he did was bad, prison should be about rehabilitation and not punishment or else the system is not much better then him.

Edit: what Laiza said.

Not every piece of shit out there deserves the chance at rehabilitation.

119 TIMES

ONE HUNDRED NINETEEN

I wouldn't want someone like that living among people.

Laiza

Unfortunately, it seems like 90% of the thread is just going to be more variations of "he deserves WORSE!", which is about what you can expect from the majority of US posters at this juncture.

I already feel bad enough about the killing (which, by the way, is one of many trans-related murders that happen every year), but the reaction to the killing itself only adds to the pain...

Cipherr

Thats what Im saying, wtf... She told him. And still gets fucking killed. That shit sounds terrifying not knowing if some lunatic is gonna lose their minds.

Wow. I think he did a little bit more than that.

It's amazing how fucking terrified some people are of being seen as anything less than masculine. Violent masculinity is so fucking toxic.

I'm pretty certain back in the day, I used to hear casual talk about if I slept with a woman that used to be a man, i'd kill her.

Speely

Banned
The idea that gender can lead someone to stab someone to death is terrifying, full stop.

Gee, I wonder why folks are hesitant to be up front? Might it be all the abusive and/or murdery men?

I wonder.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Well, it bothers me because we shouldn't be using the justice system for retribution and revenge.

But that's just me. And apparently I am a tiny, tiny minority in the United States of A. What a shame, that.
I don't think most are asking about "retribution" or "revenge." We are asking about justice and this can veer off into a whole other conversation. I respect and understand where you're coming from and had that exact mentality when I was younger but personal life experiences over the years can bring a different perspective into the picture and how we realistically can deal with unfit individuals for society as a whole.

Kthulhu

I don't think most are asking about "retribution" or "revenge." We are asking about justice and this can veer off into a whole other conversation. I respect and understand where you're coming from and had that exact mentality when I was younger but personal life experiences over the years can bring a different perspective into the picture and how we realistically can deal with unfit individuals for society as a whole.

Putting someone in prison for life and the death penalty are not solutions to this.

Phu

Banned
I just watched the video in the linked article and I was caught off guard when the victim's sister was talking. She didn't/doesn't accept her sister's identity but obviously still cared for her and is a wreck over her death.

I'm sure the two had some rough patches in the past, but I dunno, my brain can't even parse how it must be to love somebody but not love them [if that makes sense].

commedieu

Banned

Save the snark.

Our justice system is a total joke. Prisons are a joke as well. I'm not for the death penalty at all. And I'd like to believe that people should all get an actual chance at rehabilitation, even this person, and everyone else. But I'm not going to shit post others literally saying to stop "circle jerking" over the issue. Like the person did who I responded to -- To discuss the fantasy of rehabilitation in the United states. Donald trump was voted into office. We've got for profit Prisons. Maybe in 100 years the United States will actually try to rehabilitate. It doesnt at all, and posts on a gaming forum aren't going to make it so. I mean as soon as we make lobbying illegal. And give equal rights to everyone...and restructuring the dea.. etc..etc.etc.

People get life sentences for a whole lot less.

Astral Dog

As a transperson I am one of the last people who wants to defend folks like this...

But this is not the way to go. We can fix people like this. Instead of this eye-for-an-eye, throw a life away for another life sort of crap, we could reform their mentality to recognize the humanity in anyone and never hurt anyone again.

But that's not the easy route, no. Of course it's much simpler to just want to make them pay. I get that... but listening to our baser desires rarely improves things over the long haul.
You are far too lenient on this case, at least this one gets 40 years to think about what he did, but surely there are many other transphobics deserving of this understanding and education, this monster deserves to rot as an example

WarLox

Thats what Im saying, wtf... She told him. And still gets fucking killed. That shit sounds terrifying not knowing if some lunatic is gonna lose their minds.

The guy is a psycho, theres no way to predict that.

I do have a question though, as Im not sure of the answer. I'll spoiler tag it. Please don't answer it or respond to it, if you think it will derail the thread.

Does "rape by deception" apply to a situation like this, if trans person wait until after having sex to disclose that information to their partner?

Kthulhu

You are far too lenient on this case, at least this one gets 40 years to think about what he did, but surely there are many other transphobics deserving of this understanding and education, this shit hithead deserves to rot as an example

Long prison sentences do little if anything to deter crime.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

I do have a question though, as Im not sure of the answer. I'll spoiler tag it. Please don't answer it or respond to it, if you think it will derail the thread.

Does "rape by deception" apply to a situation like this, if trans person wait until after having sex to disclose that information to their partner?
What the...? No?

Is a person is Jewish and doesn't disclose that fact, and the person they sleep with is an anti-semite bigot who would never sleep with a Jew if they knew, ask yourself if it's "rape by deception"...

You get banned if you don't, apparently.

Unless it's wishing death on a Republican, that's fine.
??? No one got banned for NOT saying they should get 1000 years. The only banned poster so far was blatantly victim blaming. And Republicans, wut? What are you even talking about?

ERotIC

Banned
??? No one got banned for NOT saying they should get 1000 years. The only banned poster so far was blatantly victim blaming. What are you even talking about?

Huh? A guy got banned in this thread for a, granted poorly thought out, but different takeaway from the story.

Speely

Banned

He's prolly not psychotic. He's prolly "normalized."

And no. Consentual sex is consentual sex. You can't retcon it after the fact.

Depends where. In the UK it does apply.

You get banned if you don't, apparently.

Unless it's wishing death on a Republican, that's fine.
Holy fuck not only is the persecution complex of a shitheel like McCain strong, not only ia this a pretty fucking gross false equivalence and not only is this a completely irrelevant shitpost in a completely inappropriate thread, but it's also factually wrong. You can say you think he doesn't need 1000 years without getting banned, you just can't blame the victim.

Good riddance.

Tarydax

Banned
Stabbing a person once would be bad enough, but 119 times? Jesus fucking Christ.

And he only got 40 years when people have been gotten far worse for less.

Nice victim blaming. What the fuck is wrong with you?

I'm not sure victim blaming was the poster's (now banned, apparently) intention. I don't think they are suggesting that the victim had it coming or anything, so much as expounding (perhaps insensitively) a practical rule of thumb to be gleaned from this heinous act. Had this woman told this asshole she was transgender while they were still chatting online and not in the same room after just having sex with him, she would probably still be alive today. Sadly, acts of violence against trans women in situations like this are all too common and it's critical that they vet prospective partners for any signs of homophobia as early as possible.

As for the sentence, this asshole should've received a life sentence. One fatal stabbing followed by signs of remorse and maybe I could buy that it was a crime of passion or temporary insanity... But 119 stabbings... I just can't fathom how anyone could do that and be capable of meaningful reform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom