• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man sentenced for stabbing date 119 times after learning she was trans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Media

At least this is progress. I remember not to long ago a guy was let off for murder because of "trans panic", therefore he was "temporarily insane".

Fuck people who would kill someone doesn't any reason, but especially this.

Nephtis

Would it fall under rape to not disclose that you are cisgender? I understand that I am talking about ethics and morality here more than legality, btw.

But the point stands. Do you feel that you need to tell someone you are a straight male before you go any further?

If the answer is no, then I posit that making anyone else feel pressured into doing the equivalent is bullshit.

wait, what? It's a completely different scenario. Disclose that I am cisgender to whom, a trans person? If I was homosexual and went out on a date with someone that's transgender, and didn't disclose until after having sex that I am gay while my date was under the impression that I am a straight male, she would have every right to be just as offended. I think that's the scenario you're trying to paint, right?

While I consider a trans woman a woman and not a man that's trying to pass off as a woman, not everyone sees it that way. It sucks, but it's how it is. Legally, it could fall under rape by deception. Just as the scenario that I described earlier would, too, I think.

Would it fall under rape to not disclose that you are cisgender? I understand that I am talking about ethics and morality here more than legality, btw.

But the point stands. Do you feel that you need to tell someone you are a straight male before you go any further?

If the answer is no, then I posit that making anyone else feel pressured into doing the equivalent is bullshit.

If the person you're having sex with is specifically only attracted to transgendered people, then possibly? I mean, we don't even know if this does count as rape by deception, but if one does count, then I don't see why, legally, the other doesn't as well.

Ryzaki009

At most he should've had some angry words. Ideally he should've just left. It took 2 to strip. Should've took it as a lesson learned and move along.

He murdered her horribly. What an awful way to go.

Unfortunately, it seems like 90% of the thread is just going to be more variations of "he deserves WORSE!", which is about what you can expect from the majority of US posters at this juncture.

I already feel bad enough about the killing (which, by the way, is one of many trans-related murders that happen every year), but the reaction to the killing itself only adds to the pain...

When you turn someone's face into something that resembles ground meat rather than a person, I think you're beyond rehabilitation. Think about what 119 stab wounds looks like.

ERotIC

Banned
If the person you're having sex with is specifically only attracted to transgendered people, then possibly?

I would think that someone who was only attracted to transgendered people would need to establish that upfront, right? They wouldn't assume a person is transgendered. So that would probably not be categorized as deception, but rather flat-out lying.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It needs to be disclosed because it's a factor that the partner may care strongly about.
Care strongly enough to brutally and fatally stab them 119 times right? Digest on what you just typed out and think a bit deeper because there is a muuch bigger underlying issue at play here.

Speely

Banned
I get what you're saying, but that's not currently the state of the world we live in. If the mission is to survive as a transgender person in this cruel, fucked up world than full disclosure to your potential partners seems to be the best course of action for now.

I'm not transgendered, so i may be wrong about this viewpoint. Please correct me if I am.

It certainly isn't the world we live in now. But it should be. My point is that queers have to censor and change themselves just to tread water. That's fucked up, and every time I see someone say "they should have known" I want to die because all I hear is "they should be someone else."

No one can be someone else.

It needs to be disclosed because it's a factor that the partner may care strongly about.

There are a lot of factors potential partners can care about. For example, I don't wanna fuck with a Tea Party supporter. If I find out someone is, I am fairly certain I won't stab them a hundred times.

Casual bigots are writing this shit off like "Oh, this is more serious than just a straight person lying."

I don't think I've ever heard of someone being stabbed 119 times and I watch a lot of Forensic Files. That number is was gets me. The amount of anger to stab someone 119 times...I can't even...

As far as justifying that trans people need to be more careful, I mean, this is certainly true. But at the exact same time, imagine going into a thread about a black victim of a police shooting. It would be rightfully upsetting to see a user discuss why that black person should have been more mindful of their actions or behaviors.

You get banned if you don't, apparently.

Unless it's wishing death on a Republican, that's fine.

To clarify, you're referring to a particular banned user? Or are you making things up because it's easier than being intellectually honest?

It's 40 years guys, his life is over. Do we really need a circle jerk of "he should've gotten 1000!"

Who cares? On one hand, he may get out before he dies. On the other hand, people are venting about a horrible person doing a horrible thing.

Its pretty interesting that he was charged with a capital murder, aka first degree. That is usually considered in the case of premeditation, but it can also be applied if the prosecutor feels the defendant acted with malice. I'd say stabbing someone 119 times definitely counts as malice.

The guy only got 40 years (20 with parole if good behavior, not sure the second charge of robbery though) because he plead guilty and took a deal, if it went to trial he would have faced the death penalty on first degree murder. This is probably not a case to put towards a jury for the prosecutor, since he is being charged with first degree murder the defense would take the tack that what he is really guilty of is second degree murder ("he snapped and went insane") and if even one jury member felt thats a reasonable defense he would walk free. Its a tough call for a prosecutor to bring up both first and second charges or just present first and force the jury to pick guilty or innocent.

Story is pretty bizarre, how could they talk for months online and it never come up. No sexting, camming, etc?

NoRéN

I appreciate you acting like this is an acceptable course of action to be used against me.
That poster never attacked you. Way to respond to someone that can't respond back.

That post was possibly badly worded. It was a losing battle in a forum like this one.

Royce McCutcheon

What in the hell is a casual bigot.

It certainly isn't the world we live in now. But it should be. My point is that queers have to censor and change themselves just to tread water. That's fucked up, and every time I see someone say "they should have known" I want to die because all I hear is "they should be someone else."

There are a lot of factors potential partners can care about. For example, I don't wanna fuck with a Tea Party supporter. If I find out someone is, I am fairly certain I won't stab them a hundred times.

Casual bigots are writing this shit off like "Oh, this is more serious than just a straight person lying."

If you stabbed someone for being a tea party member, you'd go to jail too.

Mael

What a horrific story!
I don't know if I want to have someone capable of stabbing a person they liked enough to sleep with over a 100 times in the street.
I don't know if prison is the solution, I do know I don't want that guy in normal society.
The victim could have stolen the guy's life work for all I care.

40 years is really cheap considering people can get put for life in jail for the pettiest things in the US.
Barely a year for 3 stabs, it's insane.

Speely

Banned
Doing a bit of searching, I was able to find a Cornell Law Professor's ethics blog on the topic of disclosure and coercion in sex. There really isn't a conclusion, the blog just more eloquently presents arguments for each side.

https://verdict.justia.com/2015/06/18/is-there-a-moral-duty-to-disclose-that-youre-transgender-to-a-potential-partner

Granted, I don't know anything about this professor beyond this specific link.

Hey thanks for providing the link nonetheless. Reading now.

In regards to disclosure that could affect one or more of the partners in a physical way in the vases of an STIs or fertility I absolutely agree that the law calls that rape by deception and is a punishable offence. Same in issues related to consent.

In the cases of religion and gender related issues, nothing is actually being transmitted here that could potentially become a physical issue. At worst you offend on a personal view of morals and ethics. Now I don't believe that this is worthy of being called a crime in a court of law, but in such cases as is every case related to potentially infringing on another's views, you need to treat cases with as much transparency as one can offer, and display a willingness to disclose any and all issues.

That's as far as I can go on with this discussion related to disclosure. I'll take my leave and let the more on topic posts have more room to discuss the thread. I'll be reading that link in my spare time.

Baki

Care strongly enough to brutally and fatally stab them 119 times right? Digest on what you just typed out and think a bit deeper because there is a muuch bigger underlying issue at play here.

I was simply responding and commenting to the emerging sub-topic in this thread about disclosure.

I already posted my thoughts on the main topic (the horrific crime) in previous posts.

I did not, at any point, say the disclosure issue was in any way related to the crime. Please don't put words into my mouth.

The crime was horrific, and justice has been served.

I was responding and commenting on a separate sun topic.

Perhaps this is not the best thread to discuss.

Ekai

What in the hell is a casual bigot.

If you stabbed someone for being a tea party member, you'd go to jail too.

Someone who half-excuses this shit with claims that "trans people are liars if they don't disclose this and they're the true criminals!" *when trans people can be potentially murdered if they disclose they're trans to someone, and their murderer used to easily get away with it*

Casual bigotry where trans people are criticized for this instead of the problem at hand.

JettDash

Its pretty interesting that he was charged with a capital murder, aka first degree. That is usually considered in the case of premeditation, but it can also be applied if the prosecutor feels the defendant acted with malice. I'd say stabbing someone 119 times definitely counts as malice.

The guy only got 40 years (20 with parole if good behavior, not sure the second charge of robbery though) because he plead guilty and took a deal, if it went to trial he would have faced the death penalty on first degree murder. This is probably not a case to put towards a jury for the prosecutor, since he is being charged with first degree murder the defense would take the tack that what he is really guilty of is second degree murder ("he snapped and went insane") and if even one jury member felt thats a reasonable defense he would walk free. Its a tough call for a prosecutor to bring up both first and second charges or just present first and force the jury to pick guilty or innocent.

Story is pretty bizarre, how could they talk for months online and it never come up. No sexting, camming, etc? I wonder if the defendant knew the whole time.

The Supreme Court has ruled that in capitol cases the court must instruct the jury that they may find the defendant guilty on a lesser included offense. 2nd degree murder is a lesser included offense.

The prosecutor was probably worried that the jury might let him go on a temporary insanity defense or something.

Speely

Banned
I did not, at any point, say the disclosure issue was in any way related to the crime. Please don't put words into my mouth.

The crime was horrific, and justice has been served.

I was responding and commenting on a separate sun topic.

Perhaps this is not the best thread to discuss.

Fair enough. Sorry if I was presumptuous in my comments. I am pretty fired up about this right now. Open to future discussions outside this thread.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
A plea bargain. I am an horrible person for thinking that the prosecution made the right call, as it was too risky to take this to a jury? :(

Nephtis

Horrific story. Absolutely NO ONE should ever have to be stabbed 119 times and die a horrible death after having sex. This has got me thinking about relationship dynamics between cis-genders vs. transgendered people. When a man and a woman get together, there's no requirement to disclose genders because both parties assume that when it comes time to be intimate, that the other will have the opposite genitalia. I'm not transgendered, but I wonder if that's what trans people are aiming for too, that it shouldn't be necessary to disclose because if you identify as a certain gender that the person that likes you is attracted to, and that person likes you, then what does it matter what's between their legs? (If I'm misunderstanding, feel free to pick apart my points) It's just difficult because sexuality being what it is and people having different tastes means there will always be clashes (some very traditional either because of sexual attraction to the opposite genitalia, religion, and/or feeling less masculine if you have sex with same gender people).

Usobuko

Banned
What the fuck.

119 stabs.

This world is especially towards to trans and this is in one of the better acceptance places on earth.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Is there some odd way of counting stab wounds in forensics or is this literally 119 separate wounds? Seems sociopathic.

nomis

Is there some odd way of counting stab wounds in forensics or is this literally 119 separate wounds? Seems sociopathic.

guys can have a really tough go of things when they find out they got their dick sucked by a vulnerable innocent person who happens to have a Y chromosome

boys will be boys

you have to communicate

she was basically asking to get stabbed over a hundred times

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
guys can have a really tough go of things when they find out they got their dick sucked by a vulnerable innocent person who happens to have a Y chromosome

boys will be boys

you have to communicate

she was basically asking to get stabbed over a hundred times

Huh? Not trying to reason the amount just asking if it is literally 119 separate wounds since that is far beyond "moment of rage" levels.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Is the whole "transgender folks should properly explain their situation to their potential partner" talk really the right thing to do in here? 'Cos really it feels like "Well she should have been more clear about her being a transgender so that the man would not stab her" :(

Who the hell do you think here is not condemning the murder? Just because people have different takeaways or thought processes doesn't make them pro murder, and it certainly doesn't make you better than others who don't open and end their posts with "needs to have it worse'. Get off your high horse.

The guy's comment was insensitive and poorly worded, nothing more. The guy was for sure crazy, but he wasn't going street to street killing transgendered people because of his misplaced phobias. This coulve been avoided had the other person been more upfront, doesn't excuse what he did, but it could have been avoided.

You can't expect everyone to be indifferent after finding about these facts just after youve made out with the other person.
Totally missed the point of my post lol wow and I am not going to explain it since its off topic anyways.

nomis

Huh? Not trying to reason the amount just asking if it is literally 119 separate wounds since that is far beyond "moment of rage" levels.

i didn't mean to disparage your question, your comment of ”seems sociopathic" just triggered my frustration that there are probably an uncomfortable number of straight/cis men who would respond to this scenario with violence who wouldn't normally be labelled sociopaths

i believe that yes, they were able to deduce the actual number of times the victim was stabbed

Is the whole "transgender folks should properly explain their situation to their potential partner" talk really the right thing to do in here? 'Cos really it feels like "Well she should have been more clear about her being a transgender so that the man would not stab her" :(

That's my take, yeah. It's one thing to talk about how unfair it is that trans people have to be mindful of this. It's a whole 'nother thing when you're actively encouraging it by criticizing a victim. Like I said, we do not see this kind of victim blaming - at least not permissibly - for other protected classes. A woman is raped, anyone who blames her for her outfit or for being in a bad part of town gets a grey name. A black person is unjustly killed by police while running, the only people who criticize the person for running has a grey name. All I want to see is some consistency, you know? Not to say that mods are turning a blind eye, but I'm seeing some posts where, if certain details were flipped, I don't think would be as permissible as they are.

tl;dr Finger waving at a victim of a horrible hate crime is pretty darn victim blamey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom