• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man sentenced for stabbing date 119 times after learning she was trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
40 years plus 15 years effectively is a lifetime sentence. once he is out he will be like in his 70s.

but then i remembered its the us where you have sentences for 300 years or something like that.

Opto

Banned
He's going to prison for 40+ years and will probably live the rest of his life in poverty when he gets out.

And even if there's a lot of social reform both in and out of the prison system for criminals, it's still going to be a rightfully placed burden of regret, so yeah

KillLaCam

Banned
I'd like to know if you're trans in that situation.

But WTF was wrong with that guy??? He deserves a waaaaay worse punishment.

"oh you weren't what I expected so ill just stab you a hundred times" WHAT?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I am kind of surprised by how many people are for the death penalty, though.

Yep. He gave up 40 years of his young life in prison. It's over for him.

For a forum that leans so far left, there sure are a lot of people who advocate for the death penalty. So many shun religious views but still cling tightly to that eye for an eye mentality.

You get banned if you don't, apparently.

Unless it's wishing death on a Republican, that's fine.

It can be tricky navigating the waters where it comes to avoiding bans sometimes. In general you can voice more radical views about things in a civil manner if you do it in the proper place and at the proper time. There's a lot to be gained by being able to read the room so to speak. If one were to go into the recent thread about the shooting at the Republican baseball practice, you'd be in a lot more danger voicing your "kill all republicans" views. In the current thread, I think we can all agree that nobody deserves to be stabbed 119 for being trans. That's just ludicrous. In general, victim blaming at all is pretty much an instant ban in threads like this.

Tagyhag

I'm someone who's very pro-rehabilitation but when you stab someone 119 times, even if it's during the heat of the moment, you are likely someone who shouldn't be out in the streets ever again.

But I'm no psychiatrist.

Rest in peace Dee, I'm sorry this world is so fucked up.

People seriously.

Let's not pretend that things might have ended up the same whether or not the timing of the disclosure was different.

If there is ANY reason at all a partner may not want to have sex with you because of reasons that you know but willingly do not disclose, then this is wrong. No matter which condition, ranging from medical to religious to fertility issues, full disclosure should be required.

The vastly preferable scenario is one where both walk away disgusted by the other person but still very much alive.

While I agree with what you and others are trying to say here, considering the extreme nature of the crime, it's maybe not the best hill to die on.

But it doesn't address whether not disclosing being transgender falls under this.

The one instance from the UK is similar, but in this case it was a woman (identifying as a woman?) pretending to be a man. I admit I don't know if being transgender documents you as the transitioned gender in courts related to sexual relations (Which should be a whole other separate discussion).

How is this sentence too light? What purpose does it serve to keep him in jail for over 55 years?

Consistency?

A quick murder during a heated argument can you put away for life. Murder and mutilate a body for several minutes and you only end up with 40 years?

Zeroro

How is this sentence too light? What purpose does it serve to keep him in jail for over 55 years?

Well, his life is effectively over, so it doesn't really matter either way, but reading stories like this is just infuriating, especially as somebody who has someone important in their life who's trans. The fact that he's not locked up for life, even after doing something like that, just seems wild.

I can understand getting a little shocked or upset, but a 119 stabbing is something else, holy fuck. She absolutely did not deserve this.

The world needs so much more education about trans people, the murder rate is beyond reprehensible.

Bilix

Unfortunately, America is still very much a religious place where many of them vilify anything that's not between a biological male and a biological female. When people are told from a young age that anything that strays from heterosexuality is an automatic gateway to hell, tragedies like this will continue to happen.

Royce McCutcheon

Sure but discussion is part of making threads like this, unless the whole point was really for 5 pages of "40 years? not enough." etc.

If you wanna learn or discuss things about transgenders and such, this ain't the forum for it. Seriously, it ain't worth the risk to even ask questions. You got people spoilerin questions just to avoid being banned. When you consider how she was murdered you won't get much here. Just express your disdain for what happened and move on to google.

Baki

Wow. Glad justice was served.

What a piece of shit. That's absolutely terrifying. That's such a light sentence.

I am asking for educational purposes but is there a best practice for revealing that you're transgender to someone? Nobody should ever have to be fearful of their lives but given so many horror stories like this, I would think that has to be a subject that needs to be approached carefully.

Ideally, if you have an online profile. Put it front & centre there. Best way to filter out non-compatible people. see it quite often on Tinder and works well for both parties.

Nephtis

But it doesn't address whether not disclosing being transgender falls under this.

Hm. That does bring an interesting point - *is* it rape by deception if you have any form of sex without knowing the person is trans? is this post or pre-op? Does it make a difference? It falls on a gray area.

I think that the victim thought - ok, he obviously likes me enough to let me give him head, maybe I should disclose that I am trans and see where it goes from here. The guy could've felt misled/betrayed and killed in a moment of passion... or is it temporary insanity? I dunno. But as with anything else, it's best to disclose anything you think may be a problem, like how it's generally encouraged to do so with STD/STI's.

Whether it was temporary insanity or a moment of passion, I am glad that justice was served.

Edit: What makes this more complicated though is that trans people have no way of winning. If they disclose they're trans, someone will want to beat them up / kill them for being trans. If they do it while in a date, there's a very real danger of being hurt or worse, killed. So, it's a very tough and complicated situation to be in, I imagine. Personally, if someone told me they were trans I'd be super appreciative for the honesty. I don't know how I'd feel about it if being told after I had sex with her, though. Certainly not what that guy did, but I can't imagine not being upset.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Consistency?

A quick murder during a heated argument can you put away for life. Murder and mutilate a body for several minutes and you only end up with 40 years?

There's a reason people accept plea agreements as opposed to facing a trial. Prosecutors take a sure win and make sure the defendant doesn't walk and the defendant avoids the gamble of whether he'll go free of face the harshest penalty possible. Especially in a place like Mississippi, you don't know how sympathetic the jury might be towards the defendant.

If you wanna learn or discuss things about transgenders and such, this ain't the forum for it. Seriously, it ain't worth the risk to even ask questions. You got people spoilerin questions just to avoid being banned. When you consider how she was murdered you won't get much here. Just express your disdain for what happened and move on to google.

Then we might as well bring in the "no pointlessly tragic and shocking news" thread end. My bigger issue is with how a decent number of people absolutely crucified a guy on the front page just because of a lot of assumptions made about one poorly worded post. Other people made the point a little less bluntly and were fine but my god you would have thought the guy said the girl deserved it.

Putting someone away for life for a quick murder doesn't make sense either.

I didn't say it did

My simple point is that people get put away for far less. Here is a murderer who goes above and beyond in killing an individual, and he gets less punishment.

There is an inconsistency there. Probably related to the fact that the victim was transgender.

Then we might as well bring in the "no pointlessly tragic and shocking news" thread end. My bigger issue is with how a decent number of people absolutely crucified a guy on the front page just because of a lot of assumptions made about one poorly worded post. Other people made the point a little less bluntly and were fine but my god you would have thought the guy said the girl deserved it.

Just be careful with what you say. I know it's hard and I'll see someone say something I felt they shouldn't have been banned for just because they didn't go all out on one side.

Not saying that's the case here with the guy on the first page, but I'm just saying.

Transgender people. Transgender is an adjective not a noun.

Speely

Banned
Hm. That does bring an interesting point - *is* it rape by deception if you have any form of sex without knowing the person is trans? is this post or pre-op? Does it make a difference? It falls on a gray area.

I think that the victim thought - ok, he obviously likes me enough to let me give him head, maybe I should disclose that I am trans and see where it goes from here. The guy could've felt misled/betrayed and killed in a moment of passion... or is it temporary insanity? I dunno. But as with anything else, it's best to disclose anything you think may be a problem, like how it's generally encouraged to do so with STD/STI's.

Whether it was temporary insanity or a moment of passion, I am glad that justice was served.

FYI, you just equated STDs with queers. Being non-standard is not a disease. That so many view it as such is exactly the problem.

This is not a perception problem attributable to trans folks. It's a willfull denial of reality by everyone else.

Nephtis

FYI, you just equated STDs with queers. Being non-standard is not a disease. That so many view it as such is exactly the problem.

This is not a perception problem attributable to trans folks. It's a willfull denial of reality by everyone else.

Oh come on, I am not equating them. I'm just talking about the need for disclosure. I don't know if it could fall under rape by deception or not. So to avoid issues (legally) it's best to just bring everything to the table and be as transparent as you can be.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

Yup. This is the root of the problem that was discussed earlier by another poster. How transgender people are viewed as "non-standard" and even "less human" by a huge chunk of society as a whole. It is utterly shameful and disgusting.

Yea erm we are against the brutal killing of this young Woman but that guy is wishing death on Senator McCain for politcal reasons, God Bless America.

Who the hell do you think here is not condemning the murder? Just because people have different takeaways or thought processes doesn't make them pro murder, and it certainly doesn't make you better than others who don't open and end their posts with "needs to have it worse'. Get off your high horse.

The guy's comment was insensitive and poorly worded, nothing more. The guy was for sure crazy, but he wasn't going street to street killing transgendered people because of his misplaced phobias. This coulve been avoided had the other person been more upfront, doesn't excuse what he did, but it could have been avoided.

You can't expect everyone to be indifferent after finding about these facts just after youve made out with the other person.

JettDash

The prosecutor probably gave the murderer a plea deal for 40 years because he didn't want to risk a sympathetic jury. This is Mississippi we're talking about.

Speely

Banned
Oh come on, I am not equating them. I'm just talking about the need for disclosure. I don't know if it could fall under rape by deception or not. So to avoid issues (legally) it's best to just bring everything to the table and be as transparent as you can be.

Would it fall under rape to not disclose that you are cisgender? I understand that I am talking about ethics and morality here more than legality, btw.

But the point stands. Do you feel that you need to tell someone you are a straight male before you go any further?

If the answer is no, then I posit that making anyone else feel pressured into doing the equivalent is bullshit.

Given that the terms males and females exist to define differently gendered people I assume this isn't actually a grammar error but rather just how they prefer to be addressed? Enlighten me on this.

Trans is an adjective that elaborates on male/man female/woman and in the case of non binary people you'd either just say a non-binary person or a trans person.

It's not man, woman, trans. We aren't (not all of us) a third gender completely separate from man or woman.

Would it fall under rape to not disclose that you are cisgender? I understand that I am talking about ethics and morality here more than legality, btw.

But the point stands. Do you feel that you need to tell someone you are a straight male before you go any further?

If the answer is no, then I posit that making anyone else feel pressured into doing the equivalent is bullshit.

I get what you're saying, but that's not currently the state of the world we live in. If the mission is to survive as a transgender person in this cruel, fucked up world than full disclosure to your potential partners seems to be the best course of action for now.

I'm not transgendered, so i may be wrong about this viewpoint. Please correct me if I am.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's hard to put into words how sick this story made me.

Oh, and of course the flat-Eather also ended up being being transphobic and getting banned for it. Shocking.

Baki

It needs to be disclosed because it's a factor that the partner may care strongly about.

Back on topic, It seems some form of justice has been served here. Is 40 years normal for non-premeditated murder?

Paz

In situations that results in someone being physically hurt you can usually find something that the victim could have done at some point in time to not end up being hurt, that doesn't mean it's a good idea to 20-20 hindsight that shit and say 'why didn't they just do X' because being murdered is not an acceptable outcome to not doing whatever the fuck 'X' is.

Edit - Also I hate to bring up another issues that start arguments but I get really sad at the public response to sentences like this, people being angry that 40 years isn't enough in the awful US prison system... If you really think 40 years of a persons life being lived in hell and coming out a hardened criminal with no prospects at age 60 isn't enough, just admit you want criminals killed and be done with it.

As a family member of someone who was murdered I get the anger, but it passes, and if even people with no stakes can't see that it's better to rehabilitate than create bigger monsters then we as a society are doomed. The folks who murdered my family member served a fraction of the time this guy will serve and in much nicer conditions, I have no idea if they are rehabilitated or not but I can only hope they are because the alternative is just worse for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom