• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man sentenced for stabbing date 119 times after learning she was trans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? A guy got banned in this thread for a, granted poorly thought out, but different takeaway from the story.

That's horseshit.

After reading the OP, his takeaway was "Trans people really have to do the very thing that ultimately led to the victim's death." That's not just a different opinion, it's a black hole of thought. It's like if someone were accosted by the police and were then shot after raising their hands as they were told, and then someone decided to post "Well, people really should obey the police."

If the guy wanted to say something more nuanced, he should have put enough thought into his post so it wasn't worded in the worst possible way. People get banned all of the time for posting parodies that look really horrible at face value.

Mahonay

Banned
How in the fuck did this motherfucker only get 40 years? Should be a life sentence.

Is brutally murdering transgender people less of a crime in the eyes of Mississippi judges?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Unfortunately, it seems like 90% of the thread is just going to be more variations of "he deserves WORSE!", which is about what you can expect from the majority of US posters at this juncture.

I already feel bad enough about the killing (which, by the way, is one of many trans-related murders that happen every year), but the reaction to the killing itself only adds to the pain...

I see what you're saying. I personally do feel he should be locked away for life, but at the same time I think there's a serious discussion to be had for seeking blood, revenge, and punishment only out of something like jail. It's a very thin line though, on one hand he deserves every bit of his punishment and very well more for what he did, but on the other hand I think people closing off their minds and becoming nothing but hateful and vengeful is a bigger rooted problem that doesn't help anything and is rather destructive rather than productive. I can understand the feeling, but I think there's value in realizing rooting for no rehabilitation is a dark desire, it's not that the person in question doesn't deserve it but then that same line of thought is in a twisted way not the same obviously but in a broad ballpark the sort of hate that fuels this. Obviously not saying people who want to see the fucker rot are the same or went violent psycho, but the reasoning "It's okay since this person is ________," can be a disturbing form of hate that is seen too often with the justification they deserve it, which while they very well maybe do doesn't mean that hate from within oneself is something to delve into I think... There's more to this but I can never think how to word this properly.

Jeez, this is always so hard to talk about. I personally would be fine with him being in jail for the rest of his life, I feel terrible for the victim and her family and can understand the mother's feelings in this, and I also think too often in these threads there's a blood-lust.

I wish there wasn't twisted fucks out there in the world period, I hate that stuff like this happens and I wish there was just more love, understanding, acceptance, and that between all people. That's how I feel about all of this in general.

ERotIC

Banned
Yeah, I don't care anymore.

I'm calling out what I see as sou me standards that go on around here.

The guy made a poorly worded "Unfortunately trans have to disclose these things before it endangers them for their own protection" post, instantly banned.

Meanwhile, people are literally wishing death on someone and it's fine if it's the wrong party.

The guy made a poorly worded "Unfortunately trans have to disclose these things before it endangers them for their own prorection" post, instantly banned.

Meanwhile, people are literally wishing death on someone and it's fine if it's the wrong party.
McCain got off his deathbed to try and strip millions off healthcare, try again. It has nothing to do with being in a different political party and everything to do with being a reprehensible scumbag.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Putting someone in prison for life and the death penalty are not solutions to this.
It is an option and a very profitable one in the United States. People get life for shit not even close to this and are made slaves of the prison complex. We might as well put actual people that are more deserving of those sentences instead like this scumbag. The entire system is fucked, as demonstrated time after time again. That being said, I'm always for rehabilitation and I mean actual rehabilitation and help. Something which I firmly believe the current system does not provide. It is designed to keep you in and enslaved. You are also fucked after you get out.

I already feel bad enough about the killing (which, by the way, is one of many trans-related murders that happen every year), but the reaction to the killing itself only adds to the pain...
Well unfortunately the entirety of human history has already come to a consensus on whether people should be punished for murder, so I'm afraid your position is a bit untenable

Azuran

Banned
You get banned if you don't, apparently.

Unless it's wishing death on a Republican, that's fine.

Fuck John McCain and I'm glad he's going to die soon. Just for you because it's obvious you couldn't get enough of that in the other thread.

Seriouusly, you had to bring that from the other thread didn't you. That's what you entered this thread for? To complain that GAF is not saying nice thing about the so-called maverick?

Opto

Banned
That's 40 for a guilty plea. He'll be 61 when he gets out. Sure if he was given life I wouldn't mind but it's not like it's a slap on the wrist unlike some of the other trans panic defense cases have turned out.

The guy made a poorly worded "Unfortunately trans have to disclose these things before it endangers them for their own protection" post, instantly banned.

You know what's cool making a thread about a trans woman being stabbed 119 times to death about John McCain.

Kthulhu

One hundred and nineteen times? Jesus Christ, guy can't be right.

After reading this:

“I lost. I lost it,” he said, saying he really didn’t remember much afterward.

I'm assuming any bigotry he may have had + a possible feeling of violation (regardless of how valid you do or don't think that feeling was justified) = blind rage resulting in a crime of passion.

Or maybe he's just a bigot, I'm no psychologist.

shit's pretty light for 119 stabbings; 40 years as punishment doesn't match the deed. but hey, hopefully it's long enough for him to die in prison

Well it's clear you only care about being vindictive and not actually solving the problem of rehabilitating a murder so that he can become a productive citizen.

ERotIC

Banned
Fuck John McCain and I'm glad he's going to die soon. Just for you because it's obvious you couldn't get enough of that in the other thread.

Seriouusly, you had to bring that from the other thread didn't you. That's what you entered this thread for? To complain that GAF is not saying nice thing about the so-called maverick?

I don't care about John McCain, the double standards and bias of what is considered acceptable and unacceptable posting here is just baffling to me.

a916

Thats what Im saying, wtf... She told him. And still gets fucking killed. That shit sounds terrifying not knowing if some lunatic is gonna lose their minds.

According to the report, she told him after the "form of sex." So maybe it wasn't the idea of her being transgender, but that he had a "form of sex" with someone he didn't know was transgender.

(I am not, for the record, excusing what he did, I'm just going off the report and trying to piece it together)

As a transperson I am one of the last people who wants to defend folks like this...

But this is not the way to go. We can fix people like this. Instead of this eye-for-an-eye, throw a life away for another life sort of crap, we could reform their mentality to recognize the humanity in anyone and never hurt anyone again.

But that's not the easy route, no. Of course it's much simpler to just want to make them pay. I get that... but listening to our baser desires rarely improves things over the long haul.

He stabbed a person 119 times.

Sorry, but that is the kind of insanity I don't want back on the streets. I am all for criminal reformation, but there is a limit.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Or he was stating a sad fact that disclosing this information at the wrong time is incredibly dangerous?

If that was their intention, then that was not portrayed at all from that post and I'm not sure how you're able to extrapolate that meaning from it. That post just says that it's fucked up the person died, but hey, she should've told him about being trans, which is just straight up victim blaming someone who was murdered.

The Kree

Banned
I don't care about John McCain, the double standards and bias of what is considered acceptable and unacceptable posting here is just baffling to me.

You should contact the moderation team with your complaints. This thread isn't the place for it.

I get what your saying and perhaps something can be learned from this tragic murder, but the poster worded it terrible...

So lets assume he's saying its the girl's fault because he didn't immediately begin his post with the same platitudes as everyone else?
Everyone so concerned with his "takeaway". The guy can have thoughts beyond his first post of the thread, regardless of how poorly worded it may or may not be.

People seriously.

Let's not pretend that things might have ended up the same whether or not the timing of the disclosure was different.

If there is ANY reason at all a partner may not want to have sex with you because of reasons that you know but willingly do not disclose, then this is wrong. No matter which condition, ranging from medical to religious to fertility issues, full disclosure should be required.

The vastly preferable scenario is one where both walk away disgusted by the other person but still very much alive.

So lets assume he's saying its the girl's fault because he didn't immediately begin his post with the same platitudes as everyone else?
Everyone so concerned with his "takeaway". The guy can have thoughts beyond his first post of the thread, regardless of how poorly worded it may or may not be.

Look, I didn't ban him... LOL

According to the report, she told him after the "form of sex." So maybe it wasn't the idea of her being transgender, but that he had a "form of sex" with someone he didn't know was transgender.

(I am not, for the record, excusing what he did, I'm just going off the report and trying to piece it together)
It was probably just a bj

Speely

Banned
When has someone been stabbed to death for being cisgender? Wouldn't it be fucked up to not let someone know that your gender identity lines up with your chromasomal setup before meeting them? Why aren't straight, cisgender folks more honest?

Sounds like grounds for a murder to me.

How fucking ridiculous does that sound? Well, this situation is 100% equally ridiculous and tragic and infuriating.

Being trans or nonbinary isn't "abnormal." As long as people keep seeing it as such, this shit will keep happening.

Kthulhu

He stabbed a person 119 times.

Sorry, but that is the kind of insanity I don't want back on the streets. I am all for criminal reformation, but there is a limit.

Unless you're about to show us this guy's psychological evaluation, then he's not at that limit as far as we know.

I know, your post just worked best to make my point I guess, didn't intend to cast blame on anyone.

It's just after hearing the news of somebody murdered by getting stabbed 119 times, very few people are trying to immediately hear what the victim could've done to possibly prevent it or what others can learn from this tragic incident.

Timing is everything.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
People seriously.

Let's not pretend that things might have ended up the same whether or not the timing of the disclosure was different.

If there is ANY reason at all a partner may not want to have sex with you because of reasons that you know but willingly do not disclose, then this is wrong. No matter which condition, ranging from medical to religious to fertility issues, full disclosure should be required.

You must submit a criminal background check, full medical history, and 23andme test before a bang.

ERotIC

Banned
You should contact the moderation team with your complaints. This thread isn't the place for it.

I recognize this isn't the place for this and it's insensitive, but it bugs me. I'm probably risking a banning but I feel that this is a dialogue that should be addressed on the forum. I don't actually know the protocol to discuss this sort of thing with mods.

Yea erm we are against the brutal killing of this young Woman but that guy is wishing death on Senator McCain for politcal reasons, God Bless America.

Sakura

Is 40 years really that light? He's got 15 for robbery too so by the time he gets out he would be in his 70s right? I mean, I guess when you look at it like 15 years for robbery and 40 for murdering someone it looks light. But his life is pretty much over regardless.

It's just after hearing the news of somebody murdered by getting stabbed 119 times, very few people are trying to immediately hear what the victim could've done to possibly prevent it or what others can learn from this tragic incident.

Timing is everything.

Sure but discussion is part of making threads like this, unless the whole point was really for 5 pages of "40 years? not enough." etc.

nomis

what mccain did today could directly cause the deaths of millions of uninsured

false moral equivalencies abound among liberals and conservatives

FiggyCal

Banned
I am kind of surprised by how many people are for the death penalty, though.

Is 40 years really that light? He's got 15 for robbery too so by the time he gets out he would be in his 70s right? I mean, I guess when you look at it like 15 years for robbery and 40 for murdering someone it looks light. But his life is pretty much over regardless.

Yep. He gave up 40 years of his young life in prison. It's over for him anyway.

Edit: And as you said, with the additional 15 years for the robbery.

Sure but discussion is part of making threads like this, unless the whole point was really for 5 pages of "40 years? not enough." etc.

I completely understand, but hey... this board may not be the place for it... I've learned to conform to the forum standards...

When in Rome, right?

The guy is a psycho, theres no way to predict that.

I do have a question though, as Im not sure of the answer. I'll spoiler tag it. Please don't answer it or respond to it, if you think it will derail the thread.

Does "rape by deception" apply to a situation like this, if trans person wait until after having sex to disclose that information to their partner?
Rape by deception is a crime im the USA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_deception

55 years and you're already in your 20's, that's pretty much a life sentence, yeah.

norinrad

A piece of shit human being. Hopefully he rots in jail and is reminded every single minute of his miserable life for what he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom