• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manafort Notes of Russian Meeting Mention "RNC Donations"

How do you tamper with votes, do states have Republican counters or something and not a neutral overseeing the counts?

They have Republican Secs of State who oversee voting, and if they're anything like Brian Kemp of Georgia they can be some unapologetic Trump dick guzzlers.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The guy on NPR saying that it's 100% possible and has been tested didn't really go into specifics that I remember.
One speculated method from less knowledgeable people was to attack the software that programs the voting machines before they go out.

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/jill-stein-election-recount_us_58507032e4b092f08685ff68

Stein crowdfunded a recount and the recount just confirmed the result -but they only got the recount in one state. And if Stein is a Russian stooge, and knew which one state didn't tamper... Well, now we're full-on conspiracy all the way down.

Link to this?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wa...5f6f8a-3aff-11e7-8854-21f359183e8c_story.html

“There’s two people I think Putin pays: Rohrabacher and Trump,” McCarthy (R-Calif.) said, according to a recording of the June 15, 2016, exchange, which was listened to and verified by The Washington Post. Rep. Dana Rohrabacher is a Californian Republican known in Congress as a fervent defender of Putin and Russia.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) immediately interjected, stopping the conversation from further exploring McCarthy’s assertion, and swore the Republicans present to secrecy.

I thought a sitting POTUS couldn't go to trial. If he's got proof of obstruction, what course of action does Mueller take? He can round up all of his cronies on state charges, and I'll be happy as a pig in shit, but the orange turd is the ultimate prize.

Even if Trump is basically immune due to GOP inaction in Congress, the result of this investigation completely ruins is stranglehold on public opinion. It makes his case for reelection even more daunting than it already is.

Nafai1123

Banned
If you know exactly what districts you need to fuck with to get a win, manipulating voter rolls seems much more feasible. Not that it happened, but we already know that their efforts were lazer focused on the exact districts they needed to win, and we know they needed cooperation to have such detailed voter information. The only question is who and how.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I thought a sitting POTUS couldn't go to trial. If he's got proof of obstruction, what course of action does Mueller take? He can round up all of his cronies on state charges, and I'll be happy as a pig in shit, but the orange turd is the ultimate prize.

The whole thing is beyond complicated. We're literally in uncharted waters constitutionally. All we have to guide us is what happened with Nixon, which stopped just before shit got real, and random constitutional theory. Unless Trump steps down when shit starts getting real, and Congress doesn't move, expect the Supreme Court to get involved at some point.

Yeah I have no idea what happens if we get past Nixon territory

I would say GOP could try to force the issue, but they seem A: complicit and B: spineless

We're basically at the point where he needs the Presidency to defend himself from allegations, but when he's out of office..

Dartastic

The whole thing is beyond complicated. We're literally in uncharted waters constitutionally. All we have to guide us is what happened with Nixon, which stopped just before shit got real, and random constitutional theory. Unless Trump steps down when shit starts getting real, and Congress doesn't move, expect the Supreme Court to get involved at some point.
...and this could ALSO be a shit show, because Gorsuch was nominated by Trump. Conflict of interest.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Even if Trump is basically immune due to GOP inaction in Congress, the result of this investigation completely ruins is stranglehold on public opinion. It makes his case for reelection even more daunting than it already is.

*looks into 2020 crystal ball*

"Crooked Mueller, witch-hunt, MAGA, low-energy (insert Democratic opponent here), bigly."

*Trump wins electoral college*

edit: I simply mean, there is a subset of the population that thinks this is all "fake news" and "deep state," and are perfectly fine with Donald "he's new at this" Trump.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
...and this could ALSO be a shit show, because Gorsuch was nominated by Trump. Conflict of interest.

Trump's basically testing the limits of the Constitution. Also, I imagine the other justices would pressure him to recuse himself if he's reluctant to.

Nominated by Trump then confirmed after lowering the necessary congressional votes from 60 to 51. A vote that ran along party lines.

Even if this wasn't the case it would be a shitshow of epic proportions.

Sephzilla

*looks into 2020 crystal ball*

"Crooked Mueller, witch-hunt, MAGA, low-energy (insert Democratic opponent here), bigly."

*Trump wins electoral college*

edit: I simply mean, there is a subset of the population that thinks this is all "fake news" and "deep state," and are perfectly fine with Donald "he's new at this" Trump.

Trump's hardcore demographic is small, don't forget that.

Even the lawyers are dumb

tumblr_mn9l448ThR1qgr0y2o1_250.gif

Oh hey, Sheriff Clarke has resigned.
Probably getting a sweet White House gig.

They already tried getting him a job at DHS which didn't happen.

Clarke was visiting Russia too, I wonder if that's at
play here.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/top-trump-ally-met-with-putins-deputy-in-moscow

Clarke reported that Butina’s organization paid $6,000 for his meals, hotel, transportation, and excursions during his time in Russia. Brownell, the CEO of a prominent firearms company and an NRA board member, paid for the remainder, including his airfare and visas.
It is unclear where Butina’s firearms advocacy organization gets her money—it is a puzzling group, considering that Russia does not have a large grassroots movement for gun rights like the United States does.
Butina does, however, have a close relationship with Alexander Torshin, the former deputy governor of Russia’s central bank who has been accused by Spanish authorities of laundering money for the Russian mob. Neither Butina and Torshin responded to requests for comment.

Why is a county sheriff getting paid to go to Russia?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/jill-stein-election-recount_us_58507032e4b092f08685ff68

Stein crowdfunded a recount and the recount just confirmed the result -but they only got the recount in one state. And if Stein is a Russian stooge, and knew which one state didn't tamper... Well, now we're full-on conspiracy all the way down.

I have bad news for you. Jill Stein's communications were subpoenaed by Mueller.
There's also this...

Also, Wisconsin doesn't have paper ballots everywhere. There was a large difference in Hillary's performance between electronic and paper ballots in that state, easily enough to make the difference.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
So when is this investigation going to have its stumbling on Clay Davis of The Wire moment? A crushing pushback from the establishment because this goes beyond Trump.

Jordan117

New Lawfare podcast is out explaining why the Trump lawyer story qualifies as a (subtle) BOOM.

In the past 24 hours, the Financial Times reported that Russian lobbyist Rinat Akhmetshin testified before Robert Mueller's grand jury; Politico carried that the Mueller team is cooperating with the New York Attorney General to investigate Paul Manafort; and the Wall Street Journal broke that the President's lawyers have provided memos to the Special Counsel arguing that the president cannot commit obstruction of justice and questioning Jim Comey's credibility. Shane Harris and Paul Rosenzweig joined Susan Hennessey and Benjamin Wittes to discuss the recent developments.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
I have bad news for you. Jill Stein's communications were subpoenaed by Mueller.
There's also this...

Also, Wisconsin doesn't have paper ballots everywhere. There was a large difference in Hillary's performance between electronic and paper ballots in that state, easily enough to make the difference.

Conspiracy time... was Stein recruited as a backup plan spoiler candidate?

Open your eyes. The Russians already infiltrated the Republican party. Pretty soon they'll get into our courts. Looks like we're gonna have to start learning the Cyrillic alphabet.

RICO pls

They have Republican Secs of State who oversee voting, and if they're anything like Brian Kemp of Georgia they can be some unapologetic Trump dick guzzlers.

Of the three states Trump won that swung him the election narrowly, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin have Democratic Secretaries of State, one of which (La Folette in WI) ran as a candidate in the previous election.

Michigan has a Republican SoS. So does Ohio, but vote integrity is Husted's baby so much that him rigging the vote for Trump at the state level would end him politically forever, as well as Kasich and the governor's entire cabinet. And he knows that 2018 was his shot to win the governorship; I can't believe he'd be stupid enough to ruin his life forever and seem like a completely phony human being.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Still going through this thread but wanted to pause to note that this post from stinkles should be the real fear here.
I think this and the still not totally clear "were the actual election tallies altered?" could lead to a magnificently awful constitutional crisis.

If the actual results of the election were mechanically rather than socially altered, then we'd be in a situation that the constitution has no remedy for.

And the GOP would turtle, if you'll pardon the pun. There aren't any grownups left in it.

If we're talking about a conspiracy that includes any more than the trump team itself, even one more person like Ryan or McConnell, or just one media outlet / person at that outlet, we are in a place that we cannot recover from. This experiment is over. Money and greed and white power won.

Hope I'm wrong.

Still going through this thread but wanted to pause to note that this post from stinkles should be the real fear here.

If we're talking about a conspiracy that includes any more than the trump team itself, even one more person like Ryan or McConnell, or just one media outlet / person at that outlet, we are in a place that we cannot recover from. This experiment is over. Money and greed and white power won.

Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, it's terrifying to think about. And to add on to this, think about the millions of people who either don't care about what the GOP does or feverishly defend them, even if it means to the death. If there really is a dreaded article about confirmation of blatantly tampered votes in the election, I'm afraid all hell would break loose from the Republicans that would go frothing mad if we even try to get justice.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Hope I'm wrong.
If only agree if we try to do something about it and all attempts are quashed somehow. As in gop walks away after whichever major election follows the revelations with the same if not more power.

Realistically you've got to think that congressmen are already secretly preparing laws and regulations to cover the gaps we've just identified, in fear they will be used against them in the future. Demographics are changing, and I think they all realize it.

ErichWK

There's also this...

Emir Kusturica?!?!

Maaaaaaan...I love his music, too...

Manafort's gonna flip, just a matter of when if he hasn't already.

I am pretty convinced he's been flipped for a while. He's been the only smart Trumpite; quiet and hidden. Because he's a mercenary. People like Sater and Manafort know that information is a great way to mitigate hard time in prison when the chips are down.

These came from his personal notes. Mueller subpoena'd that stuff months ago. I have yuuuuuuuge doubts about Manafort's steadfastness when it's obvious he's caught dead to rights for money laundering and who knows what else.

RCSI

I am pretty convinced he's been flipped for a while. He's been the only smart Trumpite; quiet and hidden. Because he's a mercenary. People like Sater and Manafort know that information is a great way to mitigate hard time in prison when the chips are down.

These came from his personal notes. Mueller subpoena'd that stuff months ago. I have yuuuuuuuge doubts about Manafort's steadfastness when it's obvious he's caught dead to rights for money laundering and who knows what else.

I can see Sater flipping and helping the investigations (prior news on his character, recent news on this whole story), but Mueller might be pressuring Manafort because he has not flipped and is still a work in process.

Linkura

I can see Sater flipping and helping the investigations (prior news on his character, recent news on this whole story), but Mueller might be pressuring Manafort because he has not flipped and is still a work in process.

If Manafort doesn't flip, I can see him being the first arrest to be made an example of. Someone else mentioned Flynn in the thread, but I think he's probably flipped by now.

Top Bottom