• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mandalorian Season 2 | DIsney+ | October 30th

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Disney needs to de-canon the sequel trilogy for me to be truly excited at all these story beats. Knowing this all leads up to Luke sucking on alien milk tit makes this all bittersweet.

This.

Them now having to make everything make sense with he nonsense that is the sequel trilogy is just depressing.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
That was before Disney owned Marvel and Wall Street was giving Disney a pounding for spending $4 billion on Star Wars, so I guess they felt pressure to get a "BIG NAME" director that'll make the investors happy. Thus JJ Abrams got to remake A New Hope.

And even so how was Ryan Johnson a better bet that Favreau, you know, from a “wall street” point of view.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Well I was hoping they would finally close out the Child arc this season and they did it in pretty much the most baller way imaginable, so I'm good.

Romulus

I’m no expert on CGI but why can’t Disney take the idea of deep faking , develop their own screen ready version and put some money behind it. It looks much better than trying to place a built from scratch face over someone else’s body.

It's what I've been saying. That esposide has been out for 4 days and the cheap, underdeveloped deepfake already looks better. Compared to expensive CGI that looks worse and likely took months to develop.

There will be alot better deepfakes too, give another month.

EDIT: The guy in the video said he didn't have access to many of the tools needed to make the deepfake much better and its still much improved over CGI.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I fully concede JJ on the first. But then I ask, why no Favreu for TLJ?

Probably because after Iron Man 2 (which people thought wasn't as good as the first) Favreau made Cowboys & Aliens (which almost bombed) and Chef.

They were also trying to do the "up and coming" directors thing following JJ launching the new movies by hiring Johnson, Trevorrow, Edwards, and Trank (ROFLMAO).

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Probably because after Iron Man 2 (which people thought wasn't as good as the first) Favreau made Cowboys & Aliens (which almost bombed) and Chef.

They were also trying to do the "up and coming" directors thing following JJ launching the new movies by hiring Johnson, Trevorrow, Edwards, and Trank (ROFLMAO).

I see.

In any case, I'm happy Favreau got a bite out of star wars.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I see.

In any case, I'm happy Favreau got a bite out of star wars.

I'm actually glad he didn't do any of the movies. I love Mando, but it's an even bigger nostalgia wank than JJ Abrams' movies.

Star Wars movies need to introduce new things (new ships, planets, etc). Not show the same old X-Wings and TIE Fighters looking the same 35 years later (and fuck, the Y-Wings are SIXTY years old by the time of Rise of Skywalker). Trevarrow understood this and had new ships designed for his Episode 9. One of his TIE designs made it into Galaxy's Edge and Disneyland and WDW.

Nostalgia wank is fine for a TV series. But I'm most excited for Taika's movie (which sounds like it's in the far future) and Acolyte (which is 500 years before the Prequels).

Last edited:

Cocksman

^ they should have went with Trevorrow . For better or worse, it would have been an actual sequel to TLJ. oh well.

I love what Favreau is doing with the tv side . It’s like he and Filoni are doing there own little cinematic universe within the larger Star Wars universe. It’s filled with OT fan service, sure. But it’s fun. And that’s the most important thing . TLJ and TROS weren’t any fun IMO.

ManaByte

Gold Member
^ they should have went with Trevorrow . For better or worse, it would have been an actual sequel to TLJ. oh well.

I love what Favreau is doing with the tv side . It’s like he and Filoni are doing there own little cinematic universe within the larger Star Wars universe. It’s filled with OT fan service, sure. But it’s fun. And that’s the most important thing . TLJ and TROS weren’t any fun IMO.

I think TROS is fun but extremely frustrating because JJ played it safe. I like it more than TFA because it's not just a remake of ANH.

EruditeHobo

I fully concede JJ on the first. But then I ask, why no Favreu for TLJ?

Was there any indication he wanted to do it?

Surface-level is always going to be more "fun", it's natural. Mandalorian is like the best, most expensive possible version of "star wars fan fic: the series".

I'm not gonna defend ROS, since it was a mess... but TLJ in particular actually has a point. It's engaging with the mythos, it's got something to say. And because of that it can't just be composed of a series of vignettes which are built around dusting off the greatest hits, from the OT to the EU.

Mandalorian has nothing to say. I know people love it, and to your point I'd agree on a cotton candy-level it has some really enjoyable moments, or even full episodes sometimes... but overall, in terms of story and character, it's barely there.

Last edited:
It's what I've been saying. That esposide has been out for 4 days and the cheap, underdeveloped deepfake already looks better. Compared to expensive CGI that looks worse and likely took months to develop.

There will be alot better deepfakes too, give another month.

EDIT: The guy in the video said he didn't have access to many of the tools needed to make the deepfake much better and its still much improved over CGI.
The Sassy Justice episode from the south park guys shows how much better the deepfake tech can look when worked properly.
Sassy Justice with Fred Sassy (Full Episode) | From Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Peter Serafinowicz - YouTube

jason10mm

Gold Member
When in timeline does Ren go ballistic? It's still 10-15 years after Mando, right? So I think Mando S3 should just jump 5-10 years up and have a more "aware" Grogu call on Mando for more adventures. If OT characters are gonna play more than a single scene going forward, I would have preferred a recast, because super stiff deaged versions, while cool, are far too limiting.

ManaByte

Gold Member
When in timeline does Ren go ballistic? It's still 10-15 years after Mando, right? So I think Mando S3 should just jump 5-10 years up and have a more "aware" Grogu call on Mando for more adventures. If OT characters are gonna play more than a single scene going forward, I would have preferred a recast, because super stiff deaged versions, while cool, are far too limiting.

Ben Solo destroyed Luke's academy about 5 years before TFA, which is about 30 years after Mando.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Disney needs to de-canon the sequel trilogy for me to be truly excited at all these story beats. Knowing this all leads up to Luke sucking on alien milk tit makes this all bittersweet.
Eh, we still need the filler to see what really broke the guy. The porblem with movies is your restricted to 2-3 hours to cram in a plot and character development, growth etc while trying to knock it out of the park and keep proper pacing. The reason why I like the shows better is because they have more room to breathe and have like 10-16 hours of content to work with over however mang episodes they have.

if the do a Luke show, they could show him arriving on act II, slowly becoming a shut in and hermit whilst dealing with flashbacks of his reminiscing of the past to see his successes, rises and also greatest failures to what actually broke him over time other than "oh no, burning temple"

sol_bad

Eh, we still need the filler to see what really broke the guy. The porblem with movies is your restricted to 2-3 hours to cram in a plot and character development, growth etc while trying to knock it out of the park and keep proper pacing. The reason why I like the shows better is because they have more room to breathe and have like 10-16 hours of content to work with over however mang episodes they have.

if the do a Luke show, they could show him arriving on act II, slowly becoming a shut in and hermit whilst dealing with flashbacks of his reminiscing of the past to see his successes, rises and also greatest failures to what actually broke him over time other than "oh no, burning temple"

People will one day realise that The Last Jedi is not Luke Skywalkers story and the missing 30 years of his life do not need to be told in that film.
One day we might get his story though.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm actually glad he didn't do any of the movies. I love Mando, but it's an even bigger nostalgia wank than JJ Abrams' movies.

Star Wars movies need to introduce new things (new ships, planets, etc). Not show the same old X-Wings and TIE Fighters looking the same 35 years later (and fuck, the Y-Wings are SIXTY years old by the time of Rise of Skywalker). Trevarrow understood this and had new ships designed for his Episode 9. One of his TIE designs made it into Galaxy's Edge and Disneyland and WDW.

Nostalgia wank is fine for a TV series. But I'm most excited for Taika's movie (which sounds like it's in the far future) and Acolyte (which is 500 years before the Prequels).

JJ didn't do a nostalgia wank, he just remixed the og trilogy, imho.

To me that's different from what Favreau is doing.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

People will one day realise that The Last Jedi is not Luke Skywalkers story and the missing 30 years of his life do not need to be told in that film.
One day we might get his story though.
Oh i know that but I wouldnt mind the filler and backstory. We didnt need mgs3 about big boss etc but boy did it help understand his character more

-Arcadia-

Banned

Do that yourself.

Why in the world would you consider

1: Abysmal quality writing
2: A non-Lucas entry in the series

Canon? One or the other, sure, but both? It’s expensive filmed fan-fiction and presents like it to boot. Legal dealings don’t contribute to the authenticity of a work, outside of the right to legally call it Star Wars, and sell it.

Put that nonsense out of your head, and enjoy Mandalorian.

Last edited:

WildBoy

I 💯 think that Grogu comes back. Luke doesn't train him. His first student was kylo right? It's all a ruse to get us to think Season 3 won't involve him... They teased that he would be taken to his origin planet. I think he will come back toddler Yoda and have a bigger part than he ever did. Don't forget season 2 was being filmed with season 1 and in essence they are one big season. Baby Yoda won't be back. But Grogu will return.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I 💯 think that Grogu comes back. Luke doesn't train him. His first student was kylo right? It's all a ruse to get us to think Season 3 won't involve him... They teased that he would be taken to his origin planet. I think he will come back toddler Yoda and have a bigger part than he ever did. Don't forget season 2 was being filmed with season 1 and in essence they are one big season. Baby Yoda won't be back. But Grogu will return.

Leia was Luke’s first student. Luke said he founded the academy with Ben and a handful of other students.

Was talking with a friend yesterday and the idea of Grogu showing up in Taika’s movie came up, if it is set in the far future.

eot

Banned

I’m no expert on CGI but why can’t Disney take the idea of deep faking , develop their own screen ready version and put some money behind it. It looks much better than trying to place a built from scratch face over someone else’s body.

Doesn't looked markedly better in my opinion, but part of the problem is with the animation of the facial muscles and the deepfake isn't going to fix that.

Affinity

I sympathize with both the nostalgic folks and people who want new things. I love some of the original art and direction (especially X-Wings) and Mando really went for nostalgia. But I also loved the Prequels for its expansive universe and NEW art, ships, characters, etc. I wish the sequels had taken the direction of the prequels with expanded planet hoping, different tech and ships. The shows would bridge that gap and help usher in the nostalgic folks to the new era. Too late for that I suppose, unless they completely throw away the sequels. I fired up Rise of Skywalker as I'm typing this and my god its garbage. Bring back Palps with "the largest fleet in the galaxy"... rehashed bullshit. Ugh.

Jethalal

Banned
Do that yourself.

Why in the world would you consider

1: Abysmal quality writing
2: A non-Lucas entry in the series

Canon? One or the other, sure, but both? It’s expensive filmed fan-fiction and presents like it to boot. Legal dealings don’t contribute to the authenticity of a work, outside of the right to legally call it Star Wars, and sell it.

Put that nonsense out of your head, and enjoy Mandalorian.
Even Mandalorian is non-Lucas.

Sybrix

Best Star Wars since ROTS

One thing still niggles me... Bo Katan is supposed to be 30+ years older than Luke?

will-luke-skywalker-show-up-on-the-mandalorian-again-or-other-star-wars-disney-plus-shows.jpg

the-mandalorian-bo-katak-kryze-how-old-age.jpg

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

They should have just got sebastian stan to come in and do a voice over with lukes voice so he didnt look so fake.

Alcibiades

Rewatched the entire Season 1 in a single night, and then watched all of Season 2 the next night.

Loved it, even though it does have some problems here and there. It's a big improvement over the Disney sequels. I feel like it is telling it's own little side story while being respectful towards the original canon and characters.

While it may not have been their intent, the Disney sequels felt like a giant middle finger to Lucas, SW fans, original trio of Hamill, Ford, Fischer, etc... I get that TFA is supposed to be a "remake" but the lead character is pretty boring (Rey) and they never bothered to put the original heroes together at all. The story really sucked, unlike Mandalorian which actually had me hooked and wanting to know what came next. With every passing scene in the new trilogy I wanted it to go faster so it could be over. Going to the movies to watch it felt like an obligation as a long-time Star Wars fan rather than anticipating it.

Best thing they can do is retcon the whole thing out and forget it ever happened.

I noticed something interesting this past summer when studios were doing re-releases of classic movies into theaters being that there was little new product out. Universal was basically putting out the big hitters (Jaws, Jurassic Park, etc...) and leaving them to play week-after-week, but Disney was doing rotating three different movies each week.

During one of the weeks, Disney re-released Deadpool, Jungle Book (live action) and TFA, and TFA came out last of the three (on top of losing to a bunch of other re-releases)

'

Yet, the next week when Empire Strikes Back was put on the rotation, it came out #1:

You might think, well duh this is the fan-favorite and it's the 1997 SE so fans are going to seek it out, but considering how TFA is #1 in the box office of all time with almost a billion in the US alone, it's it a little sad that it's losing to a Jumanji: The Next Level re-release, and also to Jungle Book.

Granted, I consider Jungle Book their best live-action remake by a mile, but still I was left thinking how far SW had fallen in popular culture.

Maybe it's fluke, but I think the entire sequel trilogy is getting a worse reputation as time goes on.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I actually had a fun experience last night with the final episode of season 2. My wife was getting her hair cut at our house and her hair dresser was talking about the Mandalorian and trying to finish the last episode. I told her I can put it on the TV for her, but she watched on her phone while she cut my wife's hair. (My wife doesn't care for SW but she tolerated this) I made sure to walk in during the Luke reveal and the hair dresser just went crazy. It was fun to see a fellow fan experience the moment.

GreyHorace

I loved the ever living piss out of the Luke scene.

Now THAT was Heir to the Empire/Thrawn Trilogy Luke. In fact, they can take a lot from that book series since Thrawn is still out there. Wipe out the ST trash.

There's a lot to like in Timothy Zahn's trilogy.

But one thing I hate in it that I hope to God is not introduced in the Disney canon, is the character of Borsk Fey'lya.

borsk4.jpg

I hated this fucking guy. I get that they needed to have some sort foil for our heroes within the New Republic government. But Borsk didn't have the charm to pull off being a slimy politician that justified his existence within the Expanded Universe. He was just annoying.

Romulus

Doesn't looked markedly better in my opinion, but part of the problem is with the animation of the facial muscles and the deepfake isn't going to fix that.

The fact that it's any improvement at all is an embarrassment. It takes almost no budget for deepfake and some guy did it without much of what he needed. Its literally incomplete. Took him hours versus disneys weeks or months, and with a monster budget.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
There's a lot to like in Timothy Zahn's trilogy.

But one thing I hate in it that I hope to God is not introduced in the Disney canon, is the character of Borsk Fey'lya.

borsk4.jpg

I hated this fucking guy. I get that they needed to have some sort foil for our heroes within the New Republic government. But Borsk didn't have the charm to pull off being a slimy politician that justified his existence within the Expanded Universe. He was just annoying.

Ya know what I didn't like in the Thrawn series......The Palpatine clone. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom