• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga Discussion/News Thread |OT5| We Post on Wednesdays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

The fact that Smoker was defeated so easily is really bad. Smoker is at the same power level since before the time skip. He could not do anything against Law. Smoker is at the mercy of Law now. It´s really a shitty way to treat a character that´s suppose to be one of Luffy´s main rivals/enemies.

Law's DF is just broken as fuck. It's actually one of the perfect counters for a Logia since he can disable them easily. I really don't think, overall, Law is that far above Smoker. Smoker just ran into a guy he wasn't prepared for at all and had his Logia intangibility negated.

And, honestly, I've long thought people have overestimated Smoker's place in the story. The guy is not Luffy's Garp people. Get over it.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I just think this is a case of a bad matchup. Smoker's aggressive melee style is useless against Law since he'll just shift things round and say "lol nope". And now that the can create ranged rooms he's straight up broken. It'll be interesting to see how Oda handles defeating him.

Although, what's stopping Smoker from turning his heart to smoke and catching Law by surprise?
Bad matchup, okay. But who is a good matchup against Law's ability? The only one I can see being a good matchup is one that is long distance (and I mean really long distance, like Van Augur distance)...but apparently he can turn bullets into whatever the fuck he wants so that doesn't really work either. Even someone like Whitebeard (RIP) or Blackbeard would just be owned by Law's shit as he can essentially remove whatever part of his domain he needs.

I would think that his one weakness would be Logias, but he can remove the heart of a Logia, which in this case is essentially made of smoke? I'm not buying that. Well, unless he is somehow able to imbue haki into his domain/ability...

We'll see what happens by the end of the battle, it may not be over, but Smoker keeling over like that didn't look too good. It's too early to make a final conclusion.
Wiseblade said:
A warlord with a 400 mil+ bounty that's been in the game for 2+ years is a veteran IMO.
Eh, I see what you mean, but veteranship in the OP world seems more like an experience + power thing versus Power + status. Two years isn't much. Sure, he has rank, but a veteran I think not. But that's just me

survivor

Banned
I just think this is a case of a bad matchup. Smoker's aggressive melee style is useless against Law since he'll just shift things round and say "lol nope". And now that the can create ranged rooms he's straight up broken. It'll be interesting to see how Oda handles defeating him.

Although, what's stopping Smoker from turning his heart to smoke and catching Law by surprise?
The way I interpreted the attack was that Mes is a special version of Room that can suppress logia ability with haki.

Or probably that Smoker now is without a heart can't just change his body into smoke.

upandaway

I can see Rayleigh or Aokiji saying that shit because they hold weight in the world. One was the right hand man of the PK, the other was a prior admiral. They undoubtedly have tons of experience, and have been doing it for quite some time. Even if they're chill, they've seen enough of the world where it's believable.

Law was a rookie not more than 2 years ago. He came off as the chill type that wouldn't say that even in this type of situation. The type that got things done efficiently, but was mellow. Now? That's a line I would expect from someone like Kidd (who is young, but still pretty crazy/badass in his own right).
Really? I always thought Law was pretty crazy. He was mostly chill but I just never saw him pressed into doing something crazy (I think he had a few tiny moments that showed how real he can be). Plus I think his ambition is a bit complicated (at least more than wanting to be PK).

I'll go further and say I can't really see Kidd saying anything like that. I never really saw anything big in Kidd, it's like he never experienced anything ever and just rolling around with brute strength.

It's risky because even if it's smoke, Law could still stab it using haki, if he's fast enough.

But I bet Smoker could do it if he had another thing in play (like Law being really distracted). Logically it makes sense.

Mr. Fix

It will be cool if he can draw metallic objects to him from miles away.

Wasn't there that one island with that gravitational pull (which sucked the Mafia Supernova dude's ship)? Home base right there, a floating ship/island.

As for the whole Smoker-Law debate, it's either a bad match-up or Law's OPness. I don't doubt Smoker. It's weird of course, because we're watching a fight like this so early on.

If Yamamoto were to fight the new villain right now, one would surely lose. Is that any reason to doubt the other?

RagnarokX

Luffy had a bigger bounty than Law before the TS, and Luffy using gear 2 could not outrun Smoker. Smoker was beating the shit out of Luffy. That means that after the TS Luffy got so much powerful while Smoker stayed the same, which is bullshit.

Law has a power that lets him switch anything with anything. He switched himself with a piece of wood.

Law has his heart trap in side a box that looks like it made out of his DF power .
Also i really don't think Law that hax he was smart and use the surrounds vs smoker .
He hide what he was doing behind that rock , smoker was unprepared for it and was in human form and paid the price .

Law still has to get close to hit you with that and there is allot you can do to stop it from happen .

upandaway

I would think that his one weakness would be Logias, but he can remove the heart of a Logia, which in this case is essentially made of smoke? I'm not buying that. Well, unless he is somehow able to imbue haki into his domain/ability...
Wait wait wait, isn't that what he did? Am I alone here? Guys?

Didn't Law just remove his heart with Haki?

survivor

Banned

It's one of the two

1) Mes is special Room attack that can nullify logia ability but with drawback of being small in size

2) With the whole rock thing, it kinda hinted that Smoker went to human form which allowed Law to steal his heart.

Law's DF is just broken as fuck. It's actually one of the perfect counters for a Logia since he can disable them easily. I really don't think, overall, Law is that far above Smoker. Smoker just ran into a guy he wasn't prepared for at all and had his Logia intangibility negated.

And, honestly, I've long thought people have overestimated Smoker's place in the story. The guy is not Luffy's Garp people. Get over it.

This is not about Smoker´s power one way or another. This is about Smoker´s being Luffy´s rival for around 300-400 chapter and now he is at the mercy of Law. As far as i am concerned this is a very shitty writing.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car

I suppose that is what he did. At the same time I don't know if he just used his DF's ability and the zone can remove anyone's heart.

As I said, a set-in-stone conclusion would be hard to make based on just this. We'll have to see what happens...or if Law bothers to explain shit.

Or what survivor said.

Kusagari

This is not about Smoker´s power one way or another. This is about Smoker´s being Luffy´s rival for around 300-400 chapter and now he is at the mercy of Law. As far as i am concerned this is a very shitty writing.

Law is one of Luffy's rivals as well, you know?

This is Oda's way of showing Law is a higher leveled rival than Smoker.

Obviously some people don't like that.

upandaway

It's one of the two

1) Mes is special Room attack that can nullify logia ability but with drawback of being small in size

2) With the whole rock thing, it kinda hinted that Smoker went to human form which allowed Law to steal his heart.
1) there's nothing drawback-y about that, and it seems like a really weird place to put a logia-specific ability in. It's pretty much only Blackbeard's thing.
2) Man, I'm really not taking it this way what with the dialogue on the scene and all..

I don't think the name Mes holds any significance

EDIT 2)
I mean yeah, Smoker being in human form was necessary for Law to lock on his heart, but the key technique was haki

survivor

Banned
1) there's nothing drawback-y about that, and it seems like a really weird place to put a logia-specific ability in. It's pretty much only Blackbeard's thing.
2) Man, I'm really not taking it this way what with the dialogue on the scene and all..

I don't think the name Mes holds any significance

By nullifying logia, I just meant infusing haki with it allowing him to capture the heart as a physical object instead of having it disappear to smoke.

It's one of the two

I really think it's number 2 to tell the truth .
Smoker was unaware of what was going on and was in human form which allow him to get his heart taken .
Now it's trap in a room with law power and he has control over it .
For the whole chapter smoker in smoke form the one time he look like he in human form he got his heart taken .
But then it could also be Haki so only time will tell i guess.

Akira

Naruto: what everyone said.

Bleach: on hiatus. Might go back to it next year.

Magi: break.

Fairy Tail: my current favorite.

One Piece: after seeing glowing praise weekly and "suffering" through Naruto/Bleach (good or bad), why am I not reading this again..?

Wiseblade

Bad matchup, okay. But who is a good matchup against Law's ability? The only one I can see being a good matchup is one that is long distance (and I mean really long distance, like Van Augur distance)...but apparently he can turn bullets into whatever the fuck he wants so that doesn't really work either. Even someone like Whitebeard (RIP) or Blackbeard would just be owned by Law's shit as he can essentially remove whatever part of his domain he needs.

Yeah, as things stand now, a surprise snipe or an attack too fast for Law to react against is the only ticket. So maybe Luffy could sucker punch him with Gear 2, but that doesn't sound right. There has to be something else though, because I don't see Oda letting Usopp beat a Warlord either. Maybe Buggy will show up out of nowhere? He's a perfect counter!

upandaway

Maybe Buggy will show up out of nowhere? He's a perfect counter!
Buggy is such a perfect niche fighter, fuck. It's crazy.

But really Ace could fill the entire (enlarged) Room with fire in a second. Magellan could probably do something similar if he wasn't so sluggish. And Aokiji and Akainu, for fuck's sake just look at the island, Law won't stand a chance.

Fruits have a matchup mechanic to them sure, but there's still a lot of personal skill involved. To begin with Smoker isn't that good with his fruit, I bet he wouldn't be that much a different fighter without it.

Law is one of Luffy's rivals as well, you know?

This is Oda's way of showing Law is a higher leveled rival than Smoker.

Obviously some people don't like that.

Dude, Smoker has been Luffy´s rival for around 300-400 chapters. He has beating Luffy many times. It´s Luffy who should beat Smoker up. It´s has been set up for a very long time now. Smoker has a longer and more hostile rivalry than Law who appeared like 3 years ago. This is such a fucking cop out. And again this is not about power, it´s about an animosity that has been set up for a long time and now that rivalry has come to an end by a relatively new character.

Yeah, as things stand now, a surprise snipe or an attack too fast for Law to react against is the only ticket. So maybe Luffy could sucker punch him with Gear 2, but that doesn't sound right. There has to be something else though, because I don't see Oda letting Usopp beat a Warlord either. Maybe Buggy will show up out of nowhere? He's a perfect counter!

Kizaru is too fast and too destructive for Law.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
One Piece

As of now without getting an explanation...Law's power is so broken. I know we'll eventually get a reveal to how to counteract his power but for now geez.

rouken

brook would not be affected by law's df right? i guess he could do some damage too but he's not really powerful enough to fight against him.

i think he has a weakness and oda just shows how overpowered he is so that we would be surprised by it once luffy manage to beat him. :) (i hope)

survivor

Banned
Buggy is such a perfect niche fighter, fuck. It's crazy.

But really Ace could fill the entire (enlarged) Room with fire in a second. Magellan could probably do something similar if he wasn't so sluggish. And Aokiji and Akainu, for fuck's sake just look at the island, Law won't stand a chance.

Fruits have a matchup mechanic to them sure, but there's still a lot of personal skill involved. To begin with Smoker isn't that good with his fruit, I bet he wouldn't be that much a different fighter without it.

From the looks of it anyone with a logia that is offensive will fuck up Law. Smoker's problem was that he can just move faster with smoke and get behind Law but he still had to use his stick to smack Law. Someone like Akainu or Ace will just pressure Law too much. Magma Rain everywhere.

Nah all you have to do is not get close to him any admiral could beam spam him .
BB would just suck in everything and take away his power along with all the other characters with range attacks .
Then there Haki and we don't know what that could do .
If that move was that hax Law would have not have wait to get close to smoker to do it or hide what he was doing .
He would have just pull out his heart anywhere in the room .

In terms of Logias, Smoker's power really isnt that great...what makes him strong is that combined with his good CQ and seastone weapon...

Most of the other logias we have seen have had MASSIVE areas of effect for their powers....

Aokiji could easily freeze Laws room,
Akainu could blast everything in it to pieces and blast through law with any of his punches without getting close etc

I think a fight between luffy and Law would be interesting, but I think it might be zoro who takes him on. He has a sword.

Kusagari

Dude, Smoker has been Luffy´s rival for around 300-400 chapters. He has beating Luffy many times. It´s Luffy who should beat Smoker up. It´s has been set up for a very long time now. Smoker has a longer and more hostile rivalry than Law who appeared like 3 years ago. This is such a fucking cop out. And again this is not about power, it´s about an animosity that has been set up for a long time and now that rivalry has come to an end by a relatively new character.

Okay, I get your issue now. I do kind of agree that this makes Smoker's inevitable defeat to Luffy kind of lame, since Law already owned him.

upandaway

From the looks of it anyone with a logia that is offensive will fuck up Law. Smoker's problem was that he can just move faster with smoke and get behind Law but he still had to use his stick to smack Law. Someone like Akainu or Ace will just pressure Law too much. Volcano Rain everywhere.
Still, if Smoker was good enough to fill the entire room with smoke, he might have been able to do something. But like before, the only smoke he has is 1:1 with his body, maybe slightly more.

Logia that hurt the touch are definitely better against Law, yeah, but if you think about an Ace that can only use his fire like Smoker, that's not that big of a threat. Even Marco has more fire than that.

Smoker is a bit of a shitty Logia user, even if he's a good melee fighter.

Wiseblade

brook would not be affected by law's df right? i guess he could do some damage too but he's not really powerful enough to fight against him.

i think he has a weakness and oda just shows how overpowered he is so that we would be surprised by it once luffy manage to beat him. :) (i hope)

Why wouldn't Brook be affected? He wouldn't really be in a position to fight with his bones separated and I don't think his soul can interact with the living.

Steroyd

Dude, Smoker has been Luffy´s rival for around 300-400 chapters. He has beating Luffy many times.

You keep saying that but they've only met 3 times, 2 of them where Smoker had a go at Luffy and the latest one at Marineford, where he got his ass handed to him by Hancock.

Also doesn't help that Luffy can now attack Logia's, where he couldn't before.

I don't see why the rivalry would come to a end .
This is OP so smoker is not going to die he got beat and after this arc he will keep on going after luffy maybe after he train some more.
Also it's not like Luffy really gave a fuck about smoker .
He got beat by Hancock before any way like Steroyd said the problem is you seem to be looking down on Law.
He has the highest bounty we have seen in the manga so far and while bounty does not equal strength fully it give you a idea not to mess with him .

survivor

Banned
Still, if Smoker was good enough to fill the entire room with smoke, he might have been able to do something. But like before, the only smoke he has is 1:1 with his body, maybe slightly more.

Logia that hurt the touch are definitely better against Law, yeah, but if you think about an Ace that can only use his fire like Smoker, that's not that big of a threat. Even Marco has more fire than that.

Smoker is a bit of a shitty Logia user, even if he's a good melee fighter.

Ace has that Fire Spirit Bomb attack. Probably has as much area of effect as Law's Room

I am calm.

Law has Smoker´s heart in his hands, and he can kill him at any time. Smoker is Law´s bitch now.

Luffy had a bigger bounty than Law before the TS, and Luffy using gear 2 could not outrun Smoker. Smoker was beating the shit out of Luffy. That means that after the TS Luffy got so much powerful while Smoker stayed the same, which is bullshit.

Try hard to what? Oda has already made Smoker a big enemy to Luffy many times in the past. It was Luffy who is suppose to defeat Smoker, no one else.

so you're just upset things isn't playing out all predictably like it would in Bleach eh?
trololol

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Nope, I don't see an offensive Logia being able to beat Law's DF (and his apparent mastery of it) either. Law had his domain focused on the ship and crew just prior to that. If Law was focused solely on one opponent, he could take them out with his domain as well. It just doesn't really make sense that he couldn't. So what if they could fill the room up if Law can do whatever he wants with it? Then, if Law can throw Haki into the mix? That's a sure defeat for a Logia in his domain.

I was too occupied with how Luffy would react to Law but how would he react to a defeated Smoker? He always has the weirdest reactions to Smoker.

Who knows one thing for certain is he would not have to run anymore.
Maybe Oda wants to set up the fight after both of them get stronger .

Nope, I don't see an offensive Logia being able to beat Law's DF (and his apparent mastery of it) either. Law had his domain focused on the ship and crew just prior to that. If Law was focused solely on one opponent, he could take them out with his domain as well. It just doesn't really make sense that he couldn't. So what if they could fill the room up if Law can do whatever he wants with it? Then, if Law can throw Haki into the mix? That's a sure defeat for a Logia in his domain.

All the opponents has to do is not get close or allow him to hit them with that attack.
If smoker saw the attack coming he could have just avoid like normal but he got surprise.
Plus other Logia user don't have to get close to attack which is something smoker had to do .
for eg Kuma could just teleport or even reflect his attack just like most 1 hit kill move in OP just don't get hit .

survivor

Banned

But he was focused on one opponent. He was mostly fighting Smoker for the majority of the time and from that fight if someone had an offensive logia like Akainu, Law won't be able to repel his attacks that easily.

upandaway

Ace has that Fire Spirit Bomb attack. Probably has as much area of effect as Law's Room
My point is that Smoker doesn't have the equivalent of that (like engulfing someone with a fuckton of really dense smoke), and there's really no excuse for him. If Ace's best was moving fast by turning into fire in small amounts, he wouldn't be nearly as impressive.

@ Stat
Law vs Ace. Fight starts, they're both at opposing ends of the room. Ace fills entire room with fire. Law... cuts the fire with haki. Something in Ace's body gets cut (and he doesn't get hurt because it's Law's ability). Law gets damage and Ace doesn't and Law can't lock on on any of Ace's body parts. Fight over.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Ace in Law's domain.

Law removes Ace's heart.

Law crushes it.

Fight over. Ace doesn't do shit.

Law's shit is really broken.

One Piece
tumblr_m1lr34eoAu1qf6rio.png

Law is a pretty cool character but Oda, again, under-utilizes cool characters for the sake of plot. I was disappointed by the lack of cool poses for him in action. I kind of wish more attention to detail had been given to battle choreography and character modeling, for this had the potential to be one of the best fights this arc, but it still remains that the dragon, Luffy, Zoro as the best one. Smoker barely put up any fight and Tashigi embarrassed swordsman in the series. If she cant even land a blow how will she even last against Zoro? Oh well, at the end of the day Luffy brightened things up, showing that there is no way that Law is an antagonist.

You keep saying that but they've only met 3 times, 2 of them where Smoker had a go at Luffy and the latest one at Marineford, where he got his ass handed to him by Hancock.

Also doesn't help that Luffy can now attack Logia's, where he couldn't before.

And? The point is that Smoker has been set up to be Luffy´s rival for a freaking long time. He had at him 3 times btw. Logue town, Alabasta and the war. Smoker followed him, hell when he knew that Luffy was on the island he went straight to it. Don´t tell me that Smoker and Luffy did not have rivalry/animosity going on for the longest time. The only one i can see to have a more important rivalry is Akainu and Coby.

so you're just upset things isn't playing out all predictably like it would in Bleach eh?
trololol
That´s just shitty writing, but it´s Oda i should have expected it. I guess my expectations for one piece was higher than i thought.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
But that's not how it works cause otherwise Law would have done the same to Smoker from the start.
Sure he could have, but that would've been counteractive to a fight that Oda wanted to show.

If we're talking about hypothetical situations where one is pitted against the other, I'm not sure why it wouldn't go like this. I mean, how much shit did Law do before doing that? It was simply a bit of dodging and shit.

survivor

Banned
Sure he could have, but that would've been counteractive to a fight that Oda wanted to show.

If we're talking about hypothetical situations where one is pitted against the other, I'm not sure why it wouldn't go like this. I mean, how much shit did Law do before doing that? It was simply a bit of dodging and shit.

Or maybe there is a restriction to the move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom