• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Over the last 1.5 weeks, I read through 154 chapters of claymore against the advice of a few people and I'm really happy I did. While I admit the sound fx were a but much, even they became endearing. Clare in the end really was the vessel for the story but that didn't bother me much. There certain aspects I enjoy seeing about an MC as far as character development and progression but most of those weren't in Clare's journey but my enjoyment of the story didn't suffer a bit. It was a great read that kept pulling me along.

Nordicus

Coulomb Fille 10-12

Daaaamn, she got popular immediately as she made that confession to Kanzo in front of everyone.
iB3puMv.jpg

Coulomb Fille 13-14

Wow. WOW. Holy shit talk about mood whiplash, that turned insanely dark in a fucking instant. The ending wasn't half-bad but that chapter and a half was just over the top

Quasar

You guys are gonna love how suzaka ends. It gets much much worse IIRC

Thats the bit as a fan (well liker of) of the book I didn't like. Bad ending. But then bad endings are so common I have trouble holding it against authors most of the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Suzuka 1-30

Akitsuki's entire life is apparently doing things that makes the reader uncomfortable.

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere 1-A

Futuristic fantasy sci-fi society participates in a massive historical recreation of both the Sengoku Period and the Thirty Years' War.

Reading this, I mostly ended up looking mainly at the differences with the anime and how well it was adapted. Despite the size, the anime actually adapted most of this novel pretty well. I'm unsure what the usual volume per episode for adaptations usually are, but for this volume, at least, they spent half of the first season on it. And even then, a lot of the exposition and worldbuilding was left out, like most of the key factions/countries. And there was a ton of that. Even stuff that I thought the anime explained fairly well got an even more thorough explanation. And I love this kind of stuff.

Akito

Tokyo DTED 2
It does seems like she was a bitch and he didn't let that happen while playing around/being indecisive but I still suspect that there was more to it.

Revo

Fairy Tail 402

Well I just watched episode 135 of hxh and so many tears were shed. soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good

and then there's fairy tail
just dumb

togashi pls come back

rrvv

Parasites 1-20

Interesting setting

just like normal human being. Parasites want to survives. 1 group simply try to eat human. other try to coxist. I like the MC. especially his development about human and parasites

Usobuko

Banned
Over the last 1.5 weeks, I read through 154 chapters of claymore against the advice of a few people and I'm really happy I did. While I admit the sound fx were a but much, even they became endearing. Clare in the end really was the vessel for the story but that didn't bother me much. There certain aspects I enjoy seeing about an MC as far as character development and progression but most of those weren't in Clare's journey but my enjoyment of the story didn't suffer a bit. It was a great read that kept pulling me along.

You can also check out Kingdom, Vinland Saga, Blade of the Immortal, Berserk, Vagabond etc if you haven't yet.

These are the more popular ones.

Zweizer

Banned
Shishunki Bitter Change ch12-13

Oh boy that's gonna be an odd love triangle.

I got stuck in real life, so it's okay to get addicted to an MMO, right? ch10

Alright, dropped.

Zweizer

Banned
Eroge no Taiyou ch6

I think most publishers already do this. They just sell the games first.

Tokyo DTED ch2

Forced to drink Cola? Harsh.

Shengar

Really? It's been a pretty central theme throughout.

Hell, gotoh was defeated due to pollution.

Why suddenly MangaGaf started reading Parasyte?

Anyway, Gotoh dead is one of the most unsatisfying thing ever happened. I mean, I thougth it was the same thing that make a parasyte goes rampage in the school after got sprayed to the face by it, but in the end it is a different thing and never got explained really well. Despite that, the high-tensioned and conflict within the body is good though.

Zweizer

Banned
Why suddenly MangaGaf started reading Parasyte?

Because of this counter-Suzuka readalong:
Oh yeah, reading schedule:

Sept. 28th ~ Oct. 5th: Parasyte, Hitoshi Iwaaki (moved to week one due to anime)

Bonus Mode: Munou no Hito, Yoshiharu Tsuge (just four chapters translated so c'mon)

---

Oct. 5th ~ Oct. 12th: Gundam Sousei, Hideki Owada

Bonus Mode: Japan Tengu Party Illustrated, Iou Kuroda

---

Oct. 12th ~ Oct. 19th: No.5, Taiyou Matsumoto

Bonus Mode: Banana Bread Pudding, Yuuko Ooshima

---

Oct. 19th ~ Oct. 26th: Boys on the Run, Kengo Hanazawa

Prize: TBD

~Join me~

I feel like this is a good mix of things that are relatively well known, but not necessarily well read.

Okusan 15

Yea she should be a bit more mindful of the other tenants but damn you cant blame him too much lol

Seriously though at least he does something and they do some although i might go with Zweizer take on why there isn't a kid yet :p

Horimiya 41-42

These 2 continue to be great and it was nice seeing Miyamura still progressing in becoming a bit more confident in himself and the relationship.

Also Hori's family continues to be the best hahaha. Would like to see some more interaction from the other side though (like his Mom).

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The legendary musings of professor munakata 16

A lesson in not being too greedy or else misfortune will befall you I guess.

That's somehow tied to mad cow disease, hindu bull gods and probably bullshit claims of european contact with japan before and around the Roman period.

God I love this manga.

Tokyo DTED ch2

Forced to drink Cola? Harsh.

to be fair that's a lot of carbon/ possibly high fructose corn syrup to deal with. :p

also if that scene with the girl and his bro isn't his mind eye i could see why he suffered but i think he should have not waited so long (unless we hear later that he was never the target in the first place even after that incident).

Plus Rome wasn't built in a fucking day son, it might take a while (those girls plotting to crash his house seems like a decent start)

TSF Monogatari Append 2.0

ShindoL's English is surprisingly good.

Seriously with all the ass tapping implied infertility is the only explanation possible.

LOL

more likely its because the author doesn't want it (yet?) but yea hahaha

and fucking finally, thanks for the heads up.

Also IIRC ShindoL grew up/lives in New York or something so him having a good grasp doesn't seem as farfetched tbh.

Zweizer

Banned
Wasn't he born and raised in the US?

Which makes the whole... racism thing even weirder.

If MU is to be believed, he was, which indeed makes it rather strange. Alright it's confirmed on his site.

to be fair that's a lot of carbon/ possibly high fructose corn syrup to deal with. :p

I hope he won't get ulcers~

Also IIRC ShindoL grew up/lives in New York or something so him having a good grasp doesn't seem as farfetched tbh.

Nah according to his site he currently lives in Tokyo, but NYC is indeed his place of birth.

And holy shit, the guy likes Okusan. AHAHAHA

I hope he won't get ulcers~

given that he was like that in the bathroom, it might already be too late.

Nah according to his site he currently lives in Tokyo, but NYC is indeed his place of birth.

And holy shit, the guy likes Okusan. AHAHAHA.

also yea i didn't remember which one it was so thanks for reminding me, plus that comment about Okusan kinda places his newest story in a another light tbh (its about cows maybe? and i'll leave it at that :p)

Quixzlizx

Greetings from Kanazawa. I've been reading, but this is the first time I've had a good amount of free time to write impressions.

Suzuka v01

-You can tell that this is an earlier work of Seo-sensei. Slapstick groping is beneath him; he can create cringeworthy situations strictly through irrational reactions and insane dialogue nowadays.

-Yuuka and Megumi are a good combo, and they provide HQ nudity.

-Suzuka is mean, but semi-rational at this point. Yamato is an idiot who probably deserves some of her scorn so far. At least he's more of a realistic hot-blooded idiot than a ridiculously oblivious harem protagonist idiot.

-lol, Hattori. It's not his fault you fucked up that badly.

-Sakurai Honoka is so doomed : | Seo-sensei really loves doomed girls with promises. She seems to be better than the title girl so far, unlike Tama-chan.

Suzuka v02

-And Suzuka begins her descent into psychosis. And she can't even cook. Bail out, Yamato.

-More gratuitious bathing scenes. Yuuka is such a (hot) troll.

-Hattori is a bro, and probably more useful than Takashi from KNIM.

-Honoka is still amazingly cute, and amazingly doomed.

-I'm surprised that it only took two volumes for the protagoinst to confess. Fucking destroyed.

Suzuka v03

-Hattori is still a bro, and now Yuuka is, too. Dropping truth bombs. I think her high school look is pretty cute.

-Megami is still a joke character.

-At least on the track team, Yamato can accomplish something other than being an insensitive blockhead. The stalking is a little worrisome, though.

-I can already tell from her first appearance that Hashiba Miki is the best girl.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan. Not just a promise, but a childhood promise. I guess it's your fault for falling in love with someone you talked to once and carrying a torch for years. Doomed by the diabolical machinations of Seo-sensei.

-Why are you covering up Yuuka's nipples during bathing scenes now? It's too late for respectability.

-DAMN IT, HONOKA-CHAN. Please stop simping, I can't take it.

-Suzuka gets destroyed by Miki. Yep, the best. Also, pervy Seo-sensei always makes sure to provide ass shots of her in her track uniform.

-"What's his problem? Why's he pissed at me?" Somehow Suzuka is more deranged than anyone in KNIM, and it's only the third volume.

-Miki and Honoka both trying to play grabass with Yamato after track practice, and of course Suzuka is mad about it. I need to travel back in time and get the name of the series changed somehow.

-Even Yamato understands that Goddess Miki is ero just by wearing her running uni.

-Kobayakawa, it's your own fault that you're comic relief. That name is impossible.

-Miki just basically confessed to you. Ditch the psycho and date her instead. She's also hilarious around Hattori.

-lol, you're competing with a dead guy. I really hope Seo-sensei's sadistic inclinations are only unleashed on his own fictional creations.

Suzuka v04

-Maybe you should listen to your crippling depression. It's trying to tell you something.

-Haha, YES! Too bad she'll probably forgive him.

-"Why'd she slap me?" Maybe you two deserve each other.

-Arima looks like one of the guild guys from Last Exile.

-I like how Hattori was introduced as a total shithead, but he's probably done more to steer Yamato in the right direction than anyone else so far.

-Yamato just set himself up to get rekt.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan. Miki still looking fine and dropping truth bombs~~~

-Hahaha. I like how his teammates weren't embarrassed by him falling down, but by his chuuniesque exit.

-Nooooo, don't let Suzuka rope you back in.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan.

-Door-to-door salesgirl looks really cute in overalls.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan.

-Miki gets ass shots even when she isn't in her track uniform.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan. This is way more brutal than watching Tama-chan fuck everything up.

Suzuka Omake chapters

I don't know if these were fan-translated, but the Seo-sensei omake 4koma/stories are pretty funny. Somehow I'm not surprised that he's a sadsack.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Greetings from Kanazawa. I've been reading, but this is the first time I've had a good amount of free time to write impressions.

Suzuka v01

-You can tell that this is an earlier work of Seo-sensei. Slapstick groping is beneath him; he can create cringeworthy situations strictly through irrational reactions and insane dialogue nowadays.

-Yuuka and Megumi are a good combo, and they provide HQ nudity.

-Suzuka is mean, but semi-rational at this point. Yamato is an idiot who probably deserves some of her scorn so far. At least he's more of a realistic hot-blooded idiot than a ridiculously oblivious harem protagonist idiot.

-lol, Hattori. It's not his fault you fucked up that badly.

-Sakurai Honoka is so doomed : | Seo-sensei really loves doomed girls with promises. She seems to be better than the title girl so far, unlike Tama-chan.

Suzuka v02

-And Suzuka begins her descent into psychosis. And she can't even cook. Bail out, Yamato.

-More gratuitious bathing scenes. Yuuka is such a (hot) troll.

-Hattori is a bro, and probably more useful than Takashi from KNIM.

-Honoka is still amazingly cute, and amazingly doomed.

-I'm surprised that it only took two volumes for the protagoinst to confess. Fucking destroyed.

Suzuka v03

-Hattori is still a bro, and now Yuuka is, too. Dropping truth bombs. I think her high school look is pretty cute.

-Megami is still a joke character.

-At least on the track team, Yamato can accomplish something other than being an insensitive blockhead. The stalking is a little worrisome, though.

-I can already tell from her first appearance that Hashiba Miki is the best girl.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan. Not just a promise, but a childhood promise. I guess it's your fault for falling in love with someone you talked to once and carrying a torch for years. Doomed by the diabolical machinations of Seo-sensei.

-Why are you covering up Yuuka's nipples during bathing scenes now? It's too late for respectability.

-DAMN IT, HONOKA-CHAN. Please stop simping, I can't take it.

-Suzuka gets destroyed by Miki. Yep, the best. Also, pervy Seo-sensei always makes sure to provide ass shots of her in her track uniform.

-"What's his problem? Why's he pissed at me?" Somehow Suzuka is more deranged than anyone in KNIM, and it's only the third volume.

-Miki and Honoka both trying to play grabass with Yamato after track practice, and of course Suzuka is mad about it. I need to travel back in time and get the name of the series changed somehow.

-Even Yamato understands that Goddess Miki is ero just by wearing her running uni.

-Kobayakawa, it's your own fault that you're comic relief. That name is impossible.

-Miki just basically confessed to you. Ditch the psycho and date her instead. She's also hilarious around Hattori.

-lol, you're competing with a dead guy. I really hope Seo-sensei's sadistic inclinations are only unleashed on his own fictional creations.

Suzuka v04

-Maybe you should listen to your crippling depression. It's trying to tell you something.

-Haha, YES! Too bad she'll probably forgive him.

-"Why'd she slap me?" Maybe you two deserve each other.

-Arima looks like one of the guild guys from Last Exile.

-I like how Hattori was introduced as a total shithead, but he's probably done more to steer Yamato in the right direction than anyone else so far.

-Yamato just set himself up to get rekt.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan. Miki still looking fine and dropping truth bombs~~~

-Hahaha. I like how his teammates weren't embarrassed by him falling down, but by his chuuniesque exit.

-Nooooo, don't let Suzuka rope you back in.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan.

-Door-to-door salesgirl looks really cute in overalls.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan.

-Miki gets ass shots even when she isn't in her track uniform.

-Damn it, Honoka-chan. This is way more brutal than watching Tama-chan fuck everything up.

Suzuka Omake chapters

I don't know if these were fan-translated, but the Seo-sensei omake 4koma/stories are pretty funny. Somehow I'm not surprised that he's a sadsack.

Basically everything Akitsuki does makes me cringe. Like he does the opposite of whatever he should be doing every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom