• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

upandaway

So it is the series from Thailand Webtoon, figures.

Well, I don't really know how it is there but if my own country to go by, extra-marital pregnancy (and sex, dunno about Thailand on this though) is frowned upon because most of Southeast Asia still have a strong familial bond and kinship.
I guess that would explain some things in the manga, it wasn't really presented in that way though

Good morning guys.
Me and my girlfriend are looking for a manga to read together, maybe something like a "hidden gem" kind of stuff.. do you have some advice? Thanks a lot
What kind of genre/what do you like?

You could try any of those (first 3 are episodic slice of life)
Hakumei & Mikochi
Flying Witch
Kaguya Wants to be Confessed To
Welcome to the Ballroom

Zweizer

Banned
Good morning guys.
Me and my girlfriend are looking for a manga to read together, maybe something like a "hidden gem" kind of stuff.. do you have some advice? Thanks a lot

Keijo
Prison School
Okusan
Nozo x Kimi
Nana to Kaoru
Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou
Koe de Oshigoto!

Have fun, and get back to us for the result!

If you're feeling on a less audacious mood, read these instead:

Goodnight Punpun
Solanin
Planetes
Once Again
Spirit Circle
Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki

Teen Mom 25

Did you just read a whole series in one sitting? How rare

Good morning guys.

That really depends on what you both enjoy. There are a lot of "hidden gems" but some most likely won't appeal to you due to their genre or nature. I mean, at the moment these are what I'd class as "gems":

- Watashi No Shounen
- Machida-kun No Sekai
- Wotaku Ni Koi Wa MuzuKashii
- Beastars
- Mousou Telepathy
- Golden Kamuy
- Ballroom E Youkoso
- Saotome-Senshu, Hitakakusu

Jitsu wa Watashi wa Ch185: See... this is the problem I have with Shoujo manga and a lot of romance in manga in general. The characters always seem to be as mature as the scene needs them to be, often forgoing other, more sensible development/reactions. I should go on a whole rant about it, but instead, I'll just link this.

Smokin' Parade Ch10-14.2: And things start to happen. Finally.

Good morning guys.

Keyman
Helck
7 Seeds
Grand Blue
Golden Kamuy

Also would love to see your and your girlfriend impressions.

upandaway

My Hero Academia 152

I'll just say real quick that if the bullets were made using a quirk, then it should be possible to revert the effects using a quirk. Still can't see him losing his quirk forever. Honestly I wouldn't really like that development, dunno how to feel about this chapter.

I wonder what'll happen if they shoot All for One with that bullet though...

Dr Stone

Well holy crap, who was that? Was it those two bodyguards from the village or what? I'm really interested now

DNAbro

My Hero Academia 152

Mirio is my fucking hero.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

When he started immediately fighting without his Quirk I flipped. I knew he would either come out of this Quirkless or dead and I'm honestly happy it's just (so far) being Quirkless. These few chapters easily put Mirio in to my top favorite characters. Fuck man what a hero.

Chase17

Kimetsu no Yaiba 76
Random body building mice out of nowhere lol. Battle ready Inosuke is back!

Tanjiro surprisingly holding his own in this fight. Though I'm sure that will change very soon.

Zweizer

Banned
Strawberry Fields Once Again ch3

Guess the date could have went better, but they've still gotten a bit closer, so success?

1801mix9i.png

Translator's note: bacio means kiss.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch185

The calm before the storm. Gotta wonder how structurally sound that school is.

Someday, We’ll Get There ch6

So more fighting games it is.

Yeah right piece of cake.

Nejimaki Kagyu ch64

A bunch of savages indeed.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! ch630

That's a cute bunny girl Carol alright.

Shokugeki no Soma ch230

Poor Tadokoro getting bullied.

My Hero Academia ch152

lol, figures this would happen.

Mirio is still pretty damn badass though. Wish he was the protagonist instead.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch212-213

She's pretty forthcoming, huh.

PK Gaming

My Hero Academia

Mirio didn't die, but he experienced something almost just as bad.

:(

But still, what a badass. I hope he can still factor into the story after this arc.

Tomo-chan ch.629-630
Well, the mother seems to approve for now...

...and now Robbie the Rabbit has come to school. Well not exactly, but that is not a good aura if it has Misuzu shook.

Engaged to the Unidentified Vol.8 Ch.4
Socializing is so hard...but I guess it is understandable when all people at school want to talk to you about is Benio.

Saotome-Senshu ch.20
Good job Satoru for turning the situation around by putting yourself at risk to get your clothes back.

Someday, We'll Get There ch.6
You've chosen...wisely.

A victory well earned.

Strawberry Fields Once Again ch.3
Only thing worse than waiting in a long line is waiting for something that was different from what you thought it was. Even though a fuck ton of steak sounds appealing in its own right.

Distance shrinking ever so slowly.

Yankee Shota to Otaku Onee-san ch.1-3
You know, I'd always come across these on pixiv at random, but not being able to read Japanese I never got the full context for what was happening. And now I know.

Pretty alright start so far. Kid is made to be surprisingly harmless in contrast to his Yankee appearance and the fact he's stalking an older girl he's got a crush on everywhere.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 185

Well that was a nice chapter before things start getting intense. I think there's only like 11 chapters left, so something is going to happen soon.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
My Hero Academia latest
Mirio is a hero ;_:
Fuck, i feel bad if he's retire after this arc...

SHokugeki no Soma 230

That is definitely parody of Ace o nerae, but pingpong version\

Golden Kamuy 117

Reminder that Sugimoto is one badass motherfucker who don't give a fuck

Mousou Telepathy Ch441: This is gonna be good! Mana's evil plan, let's go!

Kimetsu no Yaiba Ch76: Those mice have been doing some hard steroids. No other explanation will suffice.

Golden Kamuy Ch107: You can't just threaten to kill people like that Sugimoto.

Kengan Asura Ch74: Flashback incoming?

My Hero Academia Ch152: Welp, knew it was going to happen. Let's just hope everything ends up being resolved in an amicable way. Either way, Miro earns his spot on my list of manga bad-arses. Well done young lad, true hero material.

Haikyuu!! Ch269: Good ending to that match. Looking forward to the upcoming boss fight.

Promised Neverland Ch54: My uneasiness boner grows.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
MHA Kay, I would have enjoyed this a hell of a lot more if this fight wasn't filled with so much needless narration. Upon reflection, I think this arc is bad. Legit bad. There's a lot of bits of what I'd consider bad writing all over the place. Still, Mirio is fucking great.

Attack on Titan I don't think I wrote up anything for this yet? Shits good, and clearly building up to a shit hits the fan moment. Maybe Eren and the gang plans on
destroying that nation like they did with the walls? It would certainly be good payback...

Dr Stone The blood pack idea is great and I adore it. Same with the thing about cola. This manga is building itself well to incorporate genuinely touching human moments. I'm kinda shocked actually.

Promised Neverland Fuck I love the bits of abstract art every now and then. I wish this manga incorporated them into its actual story though :/ Also I'm swinging around on Yugioh hair, he's just plain nuts and I kinda like it.

Sherrif Evan's Lies Ch21: Well, she played herself to perfection there. Textbook one might say.

Violence Action Ch7: Kay is too precious. I also love that her excuse for the blood splatter was, and I quote: I was in the middle of cutting up a deer and suddenly, the blood from its nose splashed on me.

Saotome-Senshu, Hitakakusu Ch21: In order now:
- That was cute? I mean he did call himself a pervert like four times...
- She looks good in his clothes.
- The trickster was caught!
- Secret girlfriend Vs Overly affectionate (former) upper-classmen begins!

Promised Neverland Fuck I love the bits of abstract art every now and then. I wish this manga incorporated them into its actual story though :/ Also I'm swinging around on Yugioh hair, he's just plain nuts and I kinda like it.

On this note, I really wish they made A3/A4 size posters of the colour pages/spreads of this manga. I would buy several in a heartbeat. The abstract art of them is amazing. It's kinda sad this artist hadn't had much luck in Jump until now.

Lain

I Hear The Sunspot volume 1
CJ3c.jpg

Another beautiful shonen ai story that was both nicely drawn and very delicate.
It follows Taichi and Kouhei, two university students who ends up meeting by chance. Kouhei has a (degenerative) hearing sickness while Taichi is a poor students always looking for jobs to be able to get food in his stomach.
The two end up making a deal: Taichi will take notes for Kouhei during lessons and Kouhei will bring lunches for Taichi in return.

I really appreciated the way the friendship between the two grew up and the misunderstanding felt completely believable because of past events and how a person with hearing issues ends up not being able to (obviously) hear certain things.
I also appreciated how the only intimate moment in the whole volume was handled: a delicate kiss which, going by how the volume ends, will spark a lot more.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
On this note, I really wish they made A3/A4 size posters of the colour pages/spreads of this manga. I would buy several in a heartbeat. The abstract art of them is amazing. It's kinda sad this artist hadn't had much luck in Jump until now.

God that would be so dope. This will be a little controversial, but for the eventual anime adaptation, I think SHAFT would be the best studio just because this manga is mostly talking in uninteresting environments, and if there is one SHAFT is good at, it's making conversations visually interesting to look at. They're the only studio I can imagine saying "Fuck the source material" and throwing abstract art in there for the hell of it.

God that would be so dope. This will be a little controversial, but for the eventual anime adaptation, I think SHAFT would be the best studio just because this manga is mostly talking in uninteresting environments, and if there is one SHAFT is good at, it's making conversations visually interesting to look at. They're the only studio I can imagine saying "Fuck the source material" and throwing abstract art in there for the hell of it.

Who's making the Made In Abyss anime adaption? As that's been amazing so far.
Oh, apparently it's Kinema Citrus, they made... a load of rubbish, mainly. Though they did do the Black Bullet anime and are making the Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari anime. So, I don't know. A bit of a mixed bag in all...

But yeah, SHAFT could work. But as you said, the whole 'Fuck the source material' worries me. A lot!

Who's making the Made In Abyss anime adaption? As that's been amazing so far.
Oh, apparently it's Kinema Citrus, they made... a load of rubbish, mainly. Though they did do the Black Bullet anime and are making the Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari anime. So, I don't know. A bit of a mixed bag in all...

But yeah, SHAFT could work. But as you said, the whole 'Fuck the source material' worries me. A lot!

They have done Barakamon and Code Breaker which have been great though......

They have done Barakamon and Code Breaker which have been great though......

Hadn't watched either anime adaption - as neither had been some of my favourite manga - so I kinda ignored them. But, that does instill in me a greater confidence than before, in regards to their pedigree as a studio.

So, in summary: SHAFT or Kinema Citrus would get my vote for a Promised Neverland anime adaption.

Hadn't watched either anime adaption - as neither had been some of my favourite manga - so I kinda ignored them. But, that does instill in me a greater confidence than before, in regards to their pedigree as a studio.

So, in summary: SHAFT or Kinema Citrus would get my vote for a Promised Neverland anime adaption.

I suggest watching them because they are great. Barakamon is one of my favorite sol series.

Edit: Man I still can't believe Ancient Magus Bride is getting an anime adaptation. One of the few manga's I believe that really capture the sense of magic and fantasy.

Such a underrated gem that will hopefully be introduced to a lot more people.

I Hear The Sunspot volume 1
CJ3c.jpg

Another beautiful shonen ai story that was both nicely drawn and very delicate.
It follows Taichi and Kouhei, two university students who ends up meeting by chance. Kouhei has a (degenerative) hearing sickness while Taichi is a poor students always looking for jobs to be able to get food in his stomach.
The two end up making a deal: Taichi will take notes for Kouhei during lessons and Kouhei will bring lunches for Taichi in return.

I really appreciated the way the friendship between the two grew up and the misunderstanding felt completely believable because of past events and how a person with hearing issues ends up not being able to (obviously) hear certain things.
I also appreciated how the only intimate moment in the whole volume was handled: a delicate kiss which, going by how the volume ends, will spark a lot more.

I still need to read mines, I cant wait, the art is so good.

Chase17

Our Lonely War 1-3
Pretty good so far, I like the premise. Thought the endings of chapter 1 and 3 were particularly well done.

Veedot

I don't know if this is the proper thread for this but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask:

So Kodansha comics is releasing the "Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set" in October with the six volumes in hardcover with the original right-to-left reading format( opposed to 2009 prints left-to-right), with Otomo's original hand-drawn sound effects (a first in the English language).

As a huge Akira fan Im conflicted as I already own the first six volumes of the 2009 print and was wondering if it seems crazy to double dip? Part of me wants it as part of my collection and another part of me is saying that I really don't need it as the differences don't seem big enough to warrant purchasing another set.

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing Endless Waltz Glory of the Losers V1

Manga mecha always looks so good because of how detailed they can make it seem. I loved all the action scenes.

The page with the Specials, Trieze Kushrenada, Zechs Merquise, Lucrezia Noin looked amazing in their pose. I also liked when Zechs got the Tallgesse. Im so ready.

Heero Duo was still the best, Duo and Heero so similar at times.

AM I IN LOVE OR JUST HUNGRY? v1 END
DJK3IsmVwAEQFLa.jpg:small

Thought its digital only from the bl publisher here, it was just as good as a few more I have read. I loved the college age setting along with the club (sweets/desserts) setting. First year Hinata trying to branch out from sports and do other things to meet people perfectly set him up to encounter the seemingly clingy yet insecure Nao who eventually managed to improve himself by being around him. The usual drama was here, but it was hilarious at times and very emotional. I did especially like the part where at least Hinata wasnt feeling himself forced to remain in the straight type of mindset and remaining open minded and willing to pursue things with Nao, and Nao at least gave his liking straight guy thing another chance.
DJK-MY1UIAEtYS-.jpg:small

The lunch prepared by Nao will forever me memorable lol.

The extra oneshot was cute too, good size difference and character design. Didnt know about the drugging part but glad it ended up just being a lie. Loved seeing Taigi in nothing but the oversized shirt from his friend Asahi, and eventually him sitting on Asahi while playing games, memorable.
DJLE8imUQAABZNk.jpg:small

Quasar

Minamoto-kun 211-214 - A new story arc. It’s an older woman who is familiar with the whole deal. Is reminding me of Aoi a little, which makes me happy.

Seifuku no Vampiress Lord 8

That was classic denial from someone who's definitely trying to build a harem. Let's skip over the male-focused misunderstanding garbage quickly, please and thanks. Also I want to trying sleeping in a coffin, preferably before I die.

Robot x Laserbeam Ch24: Look, I'm not a golf aficionado, by any stretch of the imagination, but that didn't seem like a legal move...

Ao No Flag Ch13: Feels bad man. An' who that? At the end, I mean.

Azumi Ch170: Another great arc concluded. Can't wait to see what's next.

Man I still can't believe Ancient Magus Bride is getting an anime adaptation. One of the few mangas I believe that really capture the sense of magic and fantasy.

Such an underrated gem that will hopefully be introduced to a lot more people.

High-fantasy magic as well, at that. Which is - in my opinion- harder to show off than, the more modern magic we often see since early 2000's. Mainly due to its slow process and smaller scale, as well as a few other things I won't bother boring you all with.

EDIT: On that note, which does everyone prefer? The older high-fantasy style of magic, or the newer more battle-ready style.

Zweizer

Banned
Seifuku no Vampiress Lord ch8

She's forthcoming about her harem at least. Hopefully she'll manage to keep the riff-raff out of it.

Shoujo Kishidan x Knight Tale ch4.5

You never encounter this problem in video games!

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! ch631

Does getting a smooch from Carol really counts as a loss though?

Kingdom ch530

About time he showed up I guess.

Minamoto-kun Monogatari ch214

You know, I'd have preferred that she looked a bit more her age.

Top Bottom