• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gintama 490

sWbTGk6.png

the face of horror.

Gintama 492

Golden shower.

OTP CONFIRMED

Just one so far really. I guess the author doesn't know what to do with her story?

She was even killed by a totally unrelated event!

That was a very low punch, indeed. I remember being speechless, I had to recheck what happened.
The last page we saw them they were together and happy. then timeskip, she left him for another one, and then she is dead in two pages??! I couldn't believe it myself. Story wise it serves to make the MC depressed and start doing some drugs, which I think that's why the author wanted, for thematic reasons

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kaiji DJ - My Dear Mikoko NSFW 18+++

Alternate scenario in part 3. Instead of being involved in crazy ass mahjong game, Kaiji become a family man instead. Yeah, Mikoko outsmart Kaiji in this one.

Shin Kurosawa 2

I'd pay good money to see Fukumoto making uncensored yaoi. But damn, Kurosawa just couldn't take a break A minute he wake up, he almost got molested.

Usobuko

Banned
It's just Hiroki Endo's style and arguably fits the tone of Eden. The post-apocalyptic world they live in was depressing in nature but the character interactions and dialogue are occasionally light-hearted in contrast. Along the way, there are more noticeable comedy elements so it's no surprise that not everyone is fond of this transition. I can't say I am a fan of these changes but compared to Mohiro Kitoh and Kengo Hanazawa whom I always felt had the burning desire to destroy and/or deconstruct the characters in their manga, Hiroki Endo's strike me as someone that tend to make light otherwise serious subject matter while still trying to tell a (in)coherent story.

I love that aspect, just not in Eden because it got too prominent for my liking. I think somewhere in Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu he talk about his up-bringing in a slum that filled with triads and prostitution.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
TOKYO DTED

Childhood nakedness, broken childhood promises, NTR, FRIENDZONE, an all-girls bar, AND an impotence claim ALL IN THE FIRST CHAPTER?

Okay, this is the manga that I will definitely follow.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's just Hiroki Endo's style and arguably fits the tone of Eden. The post-apocalyptic world they live in was depressing in nature but the character interactions and dialogue are occasionally light-hearted in contrast. Along the way, there are more noticeable comedy elements so it's no surprise that not everyone is fond of this transition. I can't say I am a fan of these changes but compared to Mohiro Kitoh and Kengo Hanazawa whom I always felt had the burning desire to destroy and/or deconstruct the characters in their manga, Hiroki Endo's strike me as someone that tend to make light otherwise serious subject matter while still trying to tell a (in)coherent story.

I love that aspect, just not in Eden because it got too prominent for my liking. I think somewhere in Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu he talk about his up-bringing in a slum that filled with triads and prostitution.

I haven't really checked out his other works other than all rounder meguru, which is kind of the opposite to this in that there is zero plot and zero characters.

Usobuko

Banned
I haven't really checked out his other works other than all rounder meguru, which is kind of the opposite to this in that there is zero plot and zero characters.

Surely you meant zero characters you care about.

As for Eden, well, a train-wreck can still be interesting with the way it is executed. I think what I like about Eden is less about its setting, story, thematic themes and action scenes. It's more about the character, their dialogue and interactions. His style is hard to capture but I guess that doesn't matter anymore. Both him and Inio Asano need to feed their family.

Zweizer

Banned
Kaiji DJ - My Dear Mikoko NSFW 18+++

Alternate scenario in part 3. Instead of being involved in crazy ass mahjong game, Kaiji become a family man instead. Yeah, Mikoko outsmart Kaiji in this one.

That the one with the not-Fukumoto looking Mikoko? Yeah that was pretty funny.

Antiwhippy

Surely you meant zero characters you care about.

As for Eden, well, a train-wreck can still be interesting with the way it is executed. I think what I like about Eden is less about its setting, story, thematic themes and action scenes. It's more about the character, their dialogue and interactions. His style is hard to capture but I guess that doesn't matter anymore. Both him and Inio Asano need to feed their family.

It's pretty much what I implied. :p

I actually like the thematic themes in eden a lot actually. But yeah, goddamn it can be hard to follow at times.

Lain

Just learned that Maria the Virgin Witch is getting released over here starting from December. Naturally right after I put a preorder for the American edition on Amazon. I can only hope Soma isn't the next one to be announced right after I ordered my copy.

On the flip side, Adachi's Short Program Girl's Type got announced for next month. Hype!

Renai Idenshi XX 1-17 (END)
HOORAY FOR LEARNING

Problem: All men are dead. Solution: Divide women into 'Adams' and 'Eves'. Problem: Two 'Adams' fall in love with each-other. Solution: Who the fuck cares?

I feel like I just read something that was half yuri and half yaoi. It began with the promise of sociopolitical drama, then it just went into full doki doki relationship silliness, which may or may not have been an improvement. The lead pairing was insufferable, so I choose to take solace in the hints that the two rejected Eves eventually hooked up. Nothing special, but not unreadable either.

Zweizer

Banned
Hayachine! ch6

Cliché development, but that sickle, ahaha, holy shit.

Seeking for Death ch11

Uh, uhhh, huh, uso da?

Zweizer

Banned
At least he actually confessed in the first two volumes. That alone puts him above 98% of romance MCs, even if he's 100% incompetent in everything else.

True, I'll give him that much, but the shit he pulled on Honoka destroyed any modicum of respect he could have gotten out of me.

Quixzlizx

Girls of the Wild's 157

Damn, Miss Inu has it going on. I guess I can't blame comic relief tracksuit coach too much for being so thirsty.

I hope this incident doesn't end without more violence.

Antiwhippy

Eden: It's an endless world 110

Endo is really concerned about HIV huh?

"He might be hooked on drugs till the point of near death, but hey at least he ain't got no HIV!"

Eden: It's an endless world 116

VPa8yKQ.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Suzuka ch55

It's not a matter of confidence but a matter of the object of your affection being an oblivious prick.

Suzuka ch56

Noo don't get close to this guy. Nothing good will happen out of it.

Suzuka ch57

That obsession.

Suzuka ch58

You two pieces of shit deserve each other.

Suzuka ch59

Holy fucking shit you know how bipolar she is and you still like her? Well, fucking congratulations. May you two imbeciles stay together forever so that you don't infect anyone else with your stupidity.

Suzuka ch60

Dead guy drama again, with a cliché and stupid goal to overcome it.

Seond week is done. The stupid train is already on full swing. Yay.

Usobuko

Banned
Just finished Maneater by Takahashi Yousuke. I know his art isn't popular with the new audience anymore but it was still nice to see his collaboration with other artists by being the one responsible for the story.

Reminds me of Watashi wa Kagome which I read quite a while back.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck, if I knew I was going to be so busy I wouldn't have joined in on this fucking Suzuka readalong. I have like 0 time for manga.

When's the time Suzuka impressions are due

kasane

Masamune-kun no Revenge 18
HdflKBM.png

Ugh, of all of the shitty developments you could come up with, this is the they chose?

Already on this, releases don't seem to be that constant though which is a shame.

is he back to fat mode or something

Antiwhippy

Eden: It's an endless world END

bgNPd4E.png

I... I think I might need to sleep on this one. Might post full impressions later.

edit: I feel like I'm having an existential crisis right now.

Kurita

Punpun vol.12
Kind of a weird volume, guess it was just here as a transition. Not a lot happened, only the final page has some kind of big event to make you want to read the next volume. Don't know what to expect from the last volume to be honest. Anything can happen in this manga... One month remaining until the last volume hnnnngh
The characters' presentation at the beginning of the volume was hilarious, with the "Good Vibrations" cult shown as characters from an action shonen :lol
This volume had some great panels, such as Aiko running on the beach etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom