• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTS| Yeah I couldn't come up with a thread title ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Takkoku!!! 34

Already commented on it, but I was just thinking of how awkward this page is.

0O560tH.png

Kako is trying to look sexy but... the image really isn't sexy at all.

Relationships are complicated like that. I hope Nana will make her move next since Kaoru has proved himself to be too stubborn (and cowardly) for that.

Well given she sacrificed Social skills for Book knowledge i'm not having much hope but she is learning though (both of them are just at a slow pace). :p

Usobuko

Banned
What exactly are you implying?

Assuming Hiroki decided to do something less controversial and depressing because of manga sales, like Asano.

One of my regrets about Punpun is how I alienated so many of my readers. With every dark turn the manga took, sales dropped. The first brutal image comes in the
Uncle Yuichi
flashback, and sales took a dip there, hard. And then Punpun
kills someone
, and it takes another dip. It’s a story that I really worked hard for to reach the end, so I wish people would try reading it all the way through. It might not leave you in a great mood, but hey. (laugh)

Wolfsmund 1-10

I had previously dropped this because it was too bleak and I've never been much of a fan of the "super fucked up sadistic villain wins" thing, but I accidentally spoiled the ending for myself, so I thought I'd pick it up again.

Still fucked up, but less so than I remember. While the sexual assault on a child was damn disturbing (as was the aftermath), more people have lived than I expected. Didn't think a single person would make it through the Wolf's Maw, but I was happy to be proven wrong. Was also expecting to see a bunch of kids die, but all but one have been spared so far.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it.

Not a former assistant of Miura Kentaro for nothing. Did your ending consist of his
death
?

I'm always late to the manga party, but do tell lads & ladies, how is Area D?

Embrace the art from one of korean's best artists.

So as a palette cleanser from all the smut I've been reading in the last couple weeks, I just went through the first twenty chapters of Nukoduke.

That shit is so goddamn cute, oh my god.

Shengar

i should really just learn japanese
Started learnin', it wasn't that hard
Its very hard
Wolfsmund 1-10

I had previously dropped this because it was too bleak and I've never been much of a fan of the "super fucked up sadistic villain wins" thing, but I accidentally spoiled the ending for myself, so I thought I'd pick it up again.

I' ve no problem with this as long as its have purpose or well reasoned. So it is for shock value or something bigger? The word "villains" never ring good in my mind.

Zweizer

Banned
So as a palette cleanser from all the smut I've been reading in the last couple weeks, I just went through the first twenty chapters of Nukoduke.

That shit is so goddamn cute, oh my god.

Enjoy the diabetes.

Next you should read Nekogurui Minako-san for a slightly different take on life with cats.

Quixzlizx

I really like Nana to Kaoru, although I think it's better when I batch read through an arc. Can't get enough of Nana licking her lips.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 42

Mikan qq. Now I want all of them to win.

H0bLvsY.jpg

At some point, the author decided she needed more cute moments.

At this point, I'm struggling keep my heart calm whenever it happen.

Shengar

What's your original language?

Japanese didnt come across as too difficult when compared to other languages the times I looked at it.

Indonesian
Have to learn foreign language since grade schooler (english), I already have the right paradigm and tricks in learning new languages. It just during Kanji tests while I know what it means, I don't know how to read it >__>

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Eden - It's an Endless World Final Thoughts

Now I like this manga a lot, but at the end it starts to unravel quite a bit. The theme isn't really anything new, but I do love Endo's take on it, with humans being reduced to nothing but data in a sea of information, which to me is nicely non-spiritual for such a spiritual subject. The world is great too, which like a more gritty and run down version of ghost in the shell. The art is great, and I love that Endo is pretty keen to make this as multicultural and inclusive as possible. Also contrary to my experiences with endo's other works, he has characters that are actually really great and well-developed, especially the main character, Elijah. Which brings me to my major pet peeve...

... what was the point of Elijah's story?

Throughout the series we've seen him develop from a naive kid to a criminal comfortable with murder, a symbol of the loss of innocence in such a harsh world, but I do love that elijah still remains somewhat naive in the end, even though it may be a mask to hide his broken psyche. Thing is, we go through his development for... what? In the climatic end his character arc ends in him being nearly killed by drugs and being nursed back by miriam, while it was Enoa who went with 2 of his friends to confront propatar and the disclosure virus. Maybe Elijah was meant to show how humankind and human society inevitably gets corrupted, but to me his story arc just felt like a side activity by the end.

Don't get me wrong, the ending sequence with Enoa was pretty badass, but it felt slightly ridiculous especially seeing that we haven't seen much from Enoa, Tony and Chad. We just see them as suits pulling the strings behind the scenes and then we go from that to seeing them take out what is supposedly one of the biggest drug cartels in the world (that they found) and then a whole battalion of soldiers, which included a goddamn attack chopper? The ending actually does tie up the beginning really well for Enoa, though I have some beef with using a whole new character as the final villain in the last minute.

Another thing that bothered me a lot was also the way Endo used Sophia. The last we saw her she was made quadriplegic by her psycho daughter (to be fair on the daughter, Sophia is kind of a crappy mother), treated as some weird sex doll and then the next time we see her she's going to be the goddess mother for a whole new universe? I kind of get how it ties into her regret of not able to have familial love and her wish to try to mend that part, as well as her being able to accept the misery of the people who chose to be one with the colliod, but that's a lot of stuff for me to infer on without much development.

Don't even get me started on Helena.

TL:DR I enjoyed it but the ending just showed that endo tried to cram too many themes and characters but didn't know what to do with some of them at the end.

Antiwhippy

I'm good for now. I need something that is light and fluffy that doesn't make me question the value of my existence. Might put that on my wishlist though.

Shengar

I'm really frustated. I couldn't find Barakamon anywhere. Waiting for official license will take time (since I'm not in US), and even if that happened, I wouldn't know jackshit it getting licensed until volume 2 out because the publisher here do zero effort on marketing. Fuck, I really hate this place.

MangaGaf, give me something that can heal me.

Antiwhippy

Ya know, I probably should have figured out what kind of work a person with the pen name Yoshi milk would put out.

I...I can't believe I just blasted through 43 chapters of Nekogurui Minako-San. I think that's enough reading from me for tonight...

so much ahegao...

volgihn

Suzuka 30-60

I'm glad they broke up. Honoka deserves better. Suzuka is bipolar and is seriously mentally unstable. Yamato doesnt deserve to be the best in japan I hope he ultimately fails.

5 chapters full of muh darkness, flashbacks, an underwhelming fight, one last TnJ, and an unsatisfactory ending.

Yeah, I can see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom