• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beelzebub 232

Did he just all of a sudden make this the final arc or something, all that final awakening, final stage, etc just felt like it came from nowhere.

I kind of wanted to see Oga get all teary eyed and depressed and need to be comforted by his friends, seems unrealistic that he'd have no feelings at all about missing Beel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
My Balls

The description pretty much tells you all you need to know. I'm not sure how to express how I felt about this, it was stupid no doubt but pretty entertaining at the same time.
It is usual for 'gimmick' manga like this to begin to outlive their welcome as they run out of ideas to keep the gimmick fresh but in this case I felt it was reasonably solid.
What's impressive in that regard is how the author managed to keep things interesting without falling in usual genre traps while remaining true to his premise.
Indeed no fetish is left unexplored in this including some pretty disturbing ones.
Zombie girl really aaaaaaa
Art was also pretty good. Nothing really special but not eye-bleeding.
If you like Ecchi silliness this is pretty real.

I remember My Balls. My Balls was tremendous. Really impressive stuff.

Lain

My Balls

The description pretty much tells you all you need to know. I'm not sure how to express how I felt about this, it was stupid no doubt but pretty entertaining at the same time.
It is usual for 'gimmick' manga like this to begin to outlive their welcome as they run out of ideas to keep the gimmick fresh but in this case I felt it was reasonably solid.
What's impressive in that regard is how the author managed to keep things interesting without falling in usual genre traps while remaining true to his premise.
Indeed no fetish is left unexplored in this including some pretty disturbing ones.
Zombie girl really aaaaaaa
Art was also pretty good. Nothing really special but not eye-bleeding.
If you like Ecchi silliness this is pretty real.

I'm waiting for the first volume to be shipped to me, before I start to dip my feet in this one.

Btw, what happened to your avatar?!

Blatant?
For someone who has never read OP that could easily be official art.
Luffy is identical
Remove the big smile from Robin and she's also identical
Fix the nose and idem for Nami
The only one that is apparently different from Oda's drawing is Zoro but again that's only if you follow OP and see Oda's work every week.

Come on. The logo looks like they pasted the first one they could find off google images.

LeleSocho

Banned
Come on. The logo looks like they pasted the first one they could find off google images.

Of course the logo has so much importance on the chara design
DBjqPeX.gif

Point is that even if that wasn't proper official art it's similar enough to the real deal and he doesn't like it.

upandaway

Curry didn't even look that good anyway. It was all thin and transparent.

Never tried any herbal nonsense so I guess I'm just ignorant.

Mortemis

Banned
Shokugeki 52

Good chapter. Alice's aide one upped Erina's aide by a point, so maybe that's saying something.

Btw when you really look at it group B can't compare to the beasts over at group A. Thank goodness though, I hope most of the people from polar star make it out fine. And I really hope that Tadakoro surprises the whole audience and judges and get's higher than Hisako.

You really think they will lose and have to run the gauntlet again? I only find Midorima boring, he is the gatekeeper for them. The Uncrowned Kings were a disappointment though, I only liked the brah from Kira Saki Daichi's ability.

Yes, because Tadatoshi does not have anywhere to go from here. I think i read that there were not going to be international tournament iirc. The league has to be rebooted or he will end the manga, which i doubt since it´s selling a lot.

Korosenai

Toriko

Midora looks pissed. Can't wait to see what kind of plans he has in the next chapter, and also for when he eventually meets Komatsu.

Big One

Banned
One Piece

A little bit of retrospect on the post-timeskip arcs of One Piece, since I purchased all the New World volumes it's given me another look at them and another assessment.

Fishman Island - Never had a huge problem with this arc tbh. The only real issue I had with it is that the pacing was bad (then again so was it in Skypeia and Thriller Bark), and the much hyped up Hody fell completely short and basically jobbed to the Strawhats with no real epic battle or conflict to settle it.

I actually really enjoyed the entire story of the Fishman. The backstory about Fisher Tiger was actually pretty awesome imo, and gave a lot of depth to characters like Arlong who resent humans. It really brought a gray area in One Piece that's never really been explored before, which really shows that for now on we ain't getting the archetypical good guy vs. bad guy crap. This is further reinforced when Luffy actually declared war against Big Mom near the end. This suggests Luffy has bigger ambitions, something more selfish and focused on wealth and power.

Actually a pretty good arc, and even though Hody failed he did provide a good outlet to showcase what the Strawhats can do. C+

Punk Hazard - This is kind of like Fishman Island, only the hyped up aspect was Law. Law did not disappoint, however, as this arc did deliver exactly what we would expect from characters like Law, Smoker, Vergo, etc. I can't even be offended that Ceasar Clown was taken out so easily, cause he was never hyped up to be a big deal outside of the realm of being a fairly intelligent, but mad, scientist.

I will admit that dragging the kids along everyting really hurt this arc, and made it feel like the characters were stilted every chapter. It really dragged this arc down.

To top it off, there was never any real interesting or crazy backstory to go along with it. The bits were very technical, by the book stuff. Nothing interesting. In a lot of ways, as a whole, it's worse than Fishman Island. However it has more action scenes, so if you care about that kind of stuff (I don't) then this is the arc for you, cause 75% of this arc is fighting scenes which imo is pretty boring as I don't really care about what's going on in this arc. C-

Dressrosa - Now this is where it's all coming to full circle. While I was wary about it at first, ever since they revealed what happened to the country, while dropping many other seeds for interesting developments, I have no doubt in my mind this could be one of the greatest arcs in One Piece. Right now, it's just as good as Water7 which imo is my favorite One Piece arc, and that's not even considering the amount of good content that will be happening in the next half of this arc. I also feel like a lot of the things going on here, have vindicated a lot of the introduced elements in Punk Hazard, making that arc not that bad. So far, this is a solid A+

Mortemis

Banned
One Piece

A little bit of retrospect on the post-timeskip arcs of One Piece, since I purchased all the New World volumes it's given me another look at them and another assessment.

Fishman Island - Never had a huge problem with this arc tbh. The only real issue I had with it is that the pacing was bad (then again so was it in Skypeia and Thriller Bark), and the much hyped up Hody fell completely short and basically jobbed to the Strawhats with no real epic battle or conflict to settle it.

I actually really enjoyed the entire story of the Fishman. The backstory about Fisher Tiger was actually pretty awesome imo, and gave a lot of depth to characters like Arlong who resent humans. It really brought a gray area in One Piece that's never really been explored before, which really shows that for now on we ain't getting the archetypical good guy vs. bad guy crap. This is further reinforced when Luffy actually declared war against Big Mom near the end. This suggests Luffy has bigger ambitions, something more selfish and focused on wealth and power.

Actually a pretty good arc, and even though Hody failed he did provide a good outlet to showcase what the Strawhats can do. C+

Punk Hazard - This is kind of like Fishman Island, only the hyped up aspect was Law. Law did not disappoint, however, as this arc did deliver exactly what we would expect from characters like Law, Smoker, Vergo, etc. I can't even be offended that Ceasar Clown was taken out so easily, cause he was never hyped up to be a big deal outside of the realm of being a fairly intelligent, but mad, scientist.

I will admit that dragging the kids along everyting really hurt this arc, and made it feel like the characters were stilted every chapter. It really dragged this arc down.

To top it off, there was never any real interesting or crazy backstory to go along with it. The bits were very technical, by the book stuff. Nothing interesting. In a lot of ways, as a whole, it's worse than Fishman Island. However it has more action scenes, so if you care about that kind of stuff (I don't) then this is the arc for you, cause 75% of this arc is fighting scenes which imo is pretty boring as I don't really care about what's going on in this arc. C-

Dressrosa - Now this is where it's all coming to full circle. While I was wary about it at first, ever since they revealed what happened to the country, while dropping many other seeds for interesting developments, I have no doubt in my mind this could be one of the greatest arcs in One Piece. Right now, it's just as good as Water7 which imo is my favorite One Piece arc, and that's not even considering the amount of good content that will be happening in the next half of this arc. I also feel like a lot of the things going on here, have vindicated a lot of the introduced elements in Punk Hazard, making that arc not that bad. So far, this is a solid A+

Really agree with this post a lot. Fishman island wasn't bad at all, it showed us another side of the world of One Piece, one where discrimination and slavery is prominent and those who are desperate take strength enhancing drugs. The topic was touched upon in the saobondy archipelago arc but this arc puts a light on the whole problem. The pacing was definitely off for me, and the fights were pretty lackluster but it was solid enough to enjoy.

Punk Hazard also expands on the whole "darker other side of the world" thing, and is likely it'll be a motif throughout the new world, and I have no problem with that. Seeing the underworld of the new world was great, and seeing that it's not all about who has the bigger cannons in the new world was great to learn about too. The biggest problem about the arc to me though was that it stayed longer than its welcome. The whole arc felt like a lead up arc to Dressrosa (which it was), and like you said, the whole children plot dragged the arc down a bit.

Dressrosa started off great and has been a good ride since. The coliseum battles kinda got a bit lackluster but ever since it's been going and hasn't slowed down. In fact, the last few chapters have been incredibly great, and I haven't been this excited to read One Piece in such a long time.

One Piece

- text -

Seems like most people who hate on Fishman Island watched the anime, which was ridiculously slow in this arc. Personally I rather like it too. I think it's a great arc over-all. The backstory with the queen was sad and the finale with the call from Big Mom was great. They biggest issue was the enormous fuss over the blood transfusion. This was never necessary in any past arc despite them getting much heavier injuries there. I know this is a big thing in Japan but it just comes off as ridiculous. The fight with Hody was of course nothing much, but I feel like this arc was also supposed to show how much stronger the Straw Hats had become.

Punk Hazard is better than Fishman Island in my opinion. I disagree about it only being fighting scenes, though there are definitely more of that here than in Fishman Island.

upandaway

Seems like most people who hate on Fishman Island watched the anime, which was ridiculously slow in this arc. Personally I rather like it too. I think it's a great arc over-all. The backstory with the queen was sad and the finale with the call from Big Mom was great. They biggest issue was the enormous fuss over the blood transfusion. This was never necessary in any past arc despite them getting much heavier injuries there. I know this is a big thing in Japan but it just comes off as ridiculous. The fight with Hody was of course nothing much, but I feel like this arc was also supposed to show how much stronger the Straw Hats had become.

Punk Hazard is better than Fishman Island in my opinion. I disagree about it only being fighting scenes, though there are definitely more of that here than in Fishman Island.
Wait wait what does this mean?

Reknoc

Log Horizon

Eh, not as fun to read as the anime is to watch. Seems rushed and a little all over the place.

Wait wait what does this mean?

Well it seems Japan care more about their bloodtype, something to do with personalities or fortune telling or whatever. I know when I had to make my tag in MGS2 and it asked me for my blood type I was like "man I don't know why are you asking"

That wasn't really the point of it in that arc though, it was just a racism thing.

bjork

Oricon Commic Rankings December 2nd - December 8th

01. Naruto #67 (653,624)
02. Bleach #61 (361,988)
03. Kuroko no Basket #25 (359,953)
04. Gintama #52 (202,666)
05. Shokugeki no Souma #5 (187,865)
06. One Punch-man #5 (186,087)
07. Kinou Nani Tabeta? #8 (162,179 / 162,382)
08. To Love-Ru Darkness #9 (159,071)
09. Worst #33 (144,729)
10. Claymore #25 (115,600)

I don't generally care about sales, but seeing Worst at least have some performance in the market makes me happy. Too bad it's over now. :0

Lolwut! I have read the manga and the arc was utter shit. Hody was a shit villain. The whole racism thing was a joke especially when it was started as a joke. The pacing was atrocious, the reunion of the SH was so unremarkable, the back story was yawn inducing. Everything about that arc is shit except the last couple of chapters.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yumeiro Patissiere

Reread this recently, and man, I forgot just how harem like it is, except that instead of targeting 14-30 year old males like most shounen harem its aimed solely at 10-14 year old girls.

Terrible story and characters but whatever, it is what it is (mary sue fic for young children), and the baking was fun enough.

I'm not the biggest fan of One Piece but I started to actually enjoy this arc after the last couple of chapters. I was really underwhelmed by Fishman Island and Punk Hazard was okay. Back when this arc started I wasn't liking it very much because of the tournament and the bunch of new characters that came out of nowhere.

After the focus was shifted more to Doflamingo everything got much better. And the latest chapter was awesome.

Yes, because Tadatoshi does not have anywhere to go from here. I think i read that there were not going to be international tournament iirc. The league has to be rebooted or he will end the manga, which i doubt since it´s selling a lot.
I really can't see them facing all of The GoM again.... If they lose there is going to have to be a new hook or swerve.

Goodnight PunPun

First three volumes read. Damn, this is going to be almost entirely depressing, right? Good, but depressing. I need something else more happy to balance it out.
Great drawing of course, and more surreal than I thought. I wonder if so many secondary adults are so weird/crazy because they are been seen from Pu nPun PoV, and for him they don't make any sense.

Oyasumi_Punpun_zpsd1caf48f.jpg

Hinamatsuri

And this is that other "happy" series to not depress me. A stupid girl with ESP, a loveable Yakuza with a heart of gold and some fine secondary characters (I loved the last chapter about Hitomi, poor girl, but she should be proud).

hinamatsu_zps6d8c1a99.jpg

Shokugeki no Soma 52

Medicines! I love the absurd abstractions.

Spirit Circle 18
Whoah D:
This page was awesome and I can't wait for the next chapter. More people should be reading this.

Antiwhippy

There aren't any watermarks, but I would rehost that image to a site like iminus or imgur rather than directly linking to the scan site.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

They're having a lesbian slapfight over a girl who is clearly straight. There has to be some kind of unhealthy message here.

(and haha at her starting to obsess over the secretary at the end, I called it, although I gave the secretary a lower shot to be the target than Tadokoro)

Kuroko no Basket 242

I'm happy Rakuzan has been getting more backstory as compared to other teams (that aren't Seirin), though it's most likely because a majority of the team is made up of Uncrowned Kings. Fujimaki probably feels obligated to give them more character. Enjoying this match up of Junpei and Reo. I wonder how long Fujimaki feels like stretching it out.
I'm actually happy Junpei considered Reo as a role model of sorts to inspire his shooting style as I enjoy when characters face off against those they once idolized. It's why I also enjoyed the face off between Kise and Aomine many, many chapters ago.

Ao no Exorcist 52

I'm glad Izumo has been getting some much-needed backstory. Doubt it'll end up quite as extensive as the Kyoto arc, but there's definitely some crazy stuff Kato most likely has up her sleeve.

Was debating on starting Oyasumi Punpun at some point. Maybe if I catch up with other things I can dedicate a part of my Sunday to reading through as much as I can.

upandaway

Shokugeki no Soma

They're having a lesbian slapfight over a girl who is clearly straight. There has to be some kind of unhealthy message here.

(and haha at her starting to obsess over the secretary at the end, I called it, although I gave the secretary a lower shot to be the target than Tadokoro)
Tadokoro is already taken by the chinese girl

4VzTD8h.png

mjontrix

Bleach

Visually, this chapter was stunning. The kill on the little guy was really good.

Then he tells his opponent what his ability does, and lets him counter it. What the fuck. If he would have figured out the ability and countered it, fine. But SERIOUSLY. SERIOUSLY.GIF

Rose was never shown to be an idiot. Maybe he was just cocky? Maybe just bad writing.

No one expects the human opponent to burst their ear drums...

NOBODY!

Antiwhippy

Reversible! 6

You know what, I'll say this much, at least this explores aspects of transvestism beyond just "boys doing cute things together in a slightly sexually suggestive way", such as reason and method, even though it's kind of shallow. Also at least they don't just make them girl surrogates like so many other manga do, but actual males who like crossdressing.

Other than that though, it's boys doing cute things together in a slightly sexually suggestive way. Not that I'm complaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom