• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kingdom all caught up

Dat Seiyko (sp?) That reappearance of Seiyko with that amazing double panel art is brilliant.
Dat Ranpa
Dat Kanki
Dat KARIN.

So good, and now i have to wait for next chapter. I always catch up to manga at the worst time.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Obata's adaptation of All You Need is Kill will be in English Jump.
Even though it's running in Young Jump not Shonen Jump, making it a Seinen series.
If you're going to do that, why not add other YJ series like Kingdom, Liar Game or Terra Formars? Or Jojolion from Ultra Jump?

Here's the problem with Viz, instead of giving new series and creators a chance to get an international audience, they'd rather fall back on established creators no matter what they're making. Like Toriyama and Jaco, or Obata and this AYNIK adaptation.
Not to mention fans want to see certain series, and they refuse to license or translate them.

I have a bit of trouble supporting the official releases when Viz does so much to make me dislike them.

It is Viz's own naiveté and myopic view that limits the NA manga market. There are a lot of series out ghere that could explode in popularity if given the chance. Series whose audiences have not been galvanized by scanlators.

Here's the problem with Viz, instead of giving new series and creators a chance to get an international audience, they'd rather fall back on established creators no matter what they're making.

? But they just added Seraph of the End (unless those three with that had series in english) , and they also have One Punch Man for a seinen series so its not like All You Need Is Kill is a demographic that has not been tackled by their WSJ before.

bigkrev

Obata's adaptation of All You Need is Kill will be in English Jump.
Even though it's running in Young Jump not Shonen Jump, making it a Seinen series.
If you're going to do that, why not add other YJ series like Kingdom, Liar Game or Terra Formars? Or Jojolion from Ultra Jump?

Here's the problem with Viz, instead of giving new series and creators a chance to get an international audience, they'd rather fall back on established creators no matter what they're making. Like Toriyama and Jaco, or Obata and this AYNIK adaptation.
Not to mention fans want to see certain series, and they refuse to license or translate them.

I have a bit of trouble supporting the official releases when Viz does so much to make me dislike them.

The upside of picking up new titles by established names- very low odds they get canceled. At this point, they are pretty much only going to serialize something that is either just starting, or something that is still new enough that they can catch up in a reasonable amount of time (Seraph of the end, as an example).

World Trigger and Cross Manage are the 2 most recent series they put in without an established pedigree. World Trigger has been a success for the most part, while Cross Manage was a dismal failure.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The upside of picking up new titles by established names- very low odds they get canceled. At this point, they are pretty much only going to serialize something that is either just starting, or something that is still new enough that they can catch up in a reasonable amount of time (Seraph of the end, as an example).

World Trigger and Cross Manage are the 2 most recent series they put in without an established pedigree. World Trigger has been a success for the most part, while Cross Manage was a dismal failure.

Cancellation is probably the reason they don't pick up new stuff very fast. Why bother to get their audience invested in a story, and pump all that money into translating and promoting the story, if it's not going to last long enough for them to see the fruits of their labor?

Then again there are also a lot of long and complete manga that don't get brought over, like City Hunter.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Cancellation is probably the reason they don't pick up new stuff very fast. Why bother to get their audience invested in a story, and pump all that money into translating and promoting the story, if it's not going to last long enough for them to see the fruits of their labor?

Then again there are also a lot of long and complete manga that don't get brought over, like City Hunter.

Fair point...
The first two completely new series they translated bombed so badly in Japan they were cancelled in under 20 chapters.

Wiseblade

It is Viz's own naiveté and myopic view that limits the NA manga market. There are a lot of series out ghere that could explode in popularity if given the chance. Series whose audiences have not been galvanized by scanlators.
The issue is that many of these series would completely flopnthenway the market is now without a level of promotion Viz is both unable and unwilling to devote. I dont see Kinfdom really building and audience in the English Language manga market. Nothing new sells over here unless it had an overhyped anime to promote it. Kingom's anime was hideous, it doesn't stand a chance.

Actually, scratch that. Put Kingdom in Jump International. Put out two Chapters a week for the first arc. Do a digital promotion for buying the first few volumes in bulk. Basically, give something actually good Toriko levels of promotion. The ENG manga industry isninert compared to Europe, but seriously backing the right horses could put things in motion again.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fair point...
The first two completely new series they translated bombed so badly in Japan they were cancelled in under 20 chapters.

Yup, what works in one market doesn't exactly work in the other. One Piece is Harry Potter popular in Japan and yet it's only just starting to register here (how much can be blamed on 4kids is up for debate) and Cowboy Bebop wasn't nearly as popular in Japan as it was in the West if I am remembering correctly.

If they'd be willing to pick up the series after JUMP drops it then I could see them picking up random new stuff, but short of that their best bet is to wait a year and see how a new series fares.

Seraph of the End 8
BdUbl1JCMAAeENk.png

The Demon Arm Company uniform looks so great, or rather he looks so great in it, Kimizuki too. Mitsuba is alright but now with the full squad assembled think the series will finally take off. Looking forward to when or if Mika and Yu will meet up.

Action looked great and kind of demands to be animated.

One Punch Man 31 pt 2 From Outer Space

This also needs to be animated, all the massive pages and scale of attack. I would have wanted more on the specifics of headquarters and why its so strong, and Genos attacking at least, oh and my other favorite high ranker doing more than just eating candy.

Nordicus

Koe no Katachi 19-20

Love triangle formed and crushed in mere 2 chapters?

Imawabi no Dakini 8

Jesus, if Toume remembers any of this afterwards, she's going to have a mental breakdown

"Oh yes, that time when I had broken my everything"

A certain manga has left quite the impression on me ha ha.

Well I think the next new manga (as in haven't already read) I'll buy will be Scumbag Loser vol 3 and 3.3.7 Byooshi!! 9 and 10 in march :/

World Trigger 45

Interesting Neighbor design this chapter for Rabbit. The way the manga is setup at leasts suggests everyone will get a second chance since they can bail out instead of be captured. So I wonder what more can this Neighbor do and how it works to capture Trigger users.

Koala is a memorable nickname.

Koe no Katachi 19-20

It's interesting, I think all this is being done to
show the contrast between Ishida and Ueno, how one got better over time and the other... She is still a big uneducated bitch. He grew up, she is the same. It's also a contrast between her appearance, a cute girl that likes the MC! that makes her likeable to the readers, and her ugly personality.

To be honest, now she seems even worse!

Nisekoi 105 + SP (full colour chp)
tumblr_mz04djYt4p1qbxqfpo1_400.png

If I knew it was full colour I would have read much earlier, but Raku is exceptionally well done and had many good pages in both chapters. Shu ought to have been there instead of somewhere else :(.

Tanbata chapter was much better than I expected and pretty funny, especially the panic of Onodera and then Raku's wish.

LeleSocho

Banned
Koe no Katachi 19-20

It's interesting, I think all this is being done to
show the contrast between Ishida and Ueno, how one got better over time and the other... She is still a big uneducated bitch. He grew up, she is the same. It's also a contrast between her appearance, a cute girl that likes the MC! that makes her likeable to the readers, and her ugly personality.

To be honest, now she seems even worse!

Childish ok but a bitch? Dunno seems like an exaggeration.

BLue Exorcist 53 + JPN Popularity Poll.

Awful results, Renzo Shima should have been igher and Rin too, though I must commend them for having Kinzo Shima rank and they gave Bon a good outfit.

Chapter was intense once the truth was revealed finally feels like Kamiki/Illuminati plot is picking up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom