• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The anime and manga fandom exists more on message boards than it does in real life, however, so the population not using message boards argument doesn't really apply here. Anime and manga are dead markets outside of Japan right now and the majority of people who are viewing these products are pirating them aka we have absolutely no real measure on how many people are actually anime and manga fans in the West. This is why you absolutely cannot use buyrates and sales as an argument cause it's missing more than half of the fandom's opinion that exists on the internet. This also applies to the piracy that happens in Eastern countries too.

When it comes to opinions on anime/manga, message boards is all you got as a weight. There's positive opinions too, but going to the average message board when bringing up a series like Naruto and Bleach in a topic will just get critical lashings about how much the series suck.

Like I said, if there was a legitimate site that criticized anime and manga properly, both of these series would be the lowest on the totem pole when it comes to popular shonen series.

You're confusing "people with internet access" with "people who post on message boards."

Just look at the comment section after every chapter, dude. Its not all people complaining, that's just what you go looking for.

Wait....Bleach and Naruto are only popular on the internet?
TadkV.gif

Holy shit! My sides!

Big One

Banned
You're confusing "people with internet access" with "people who post on message boards."

Just look at the comment section after every chapter, dude. Its not all people complaining, that's just what you go looking for.
However message boards are the only way to weigh what people's opinions actually are on the internet more or less. There isn't some huge website that posts anime/manga reviews as it's emphasis that actually has some credibility.

Wait....Bleach and Naruto are only popular on the internet?
TadkV.gif

Holy shit! My sides!
No? Where'd you get that from?

The majority of anime fans post actively on the internet, yes. Primarily because anime and manga are most popularly viewed on the computer more than anything else.

Series like Naruto and Bleach are more popular on the internet than in real life.

wonzo

Banned
Personality, Gender, and Age in the Language of Social Media: The Open-Vocabulary Approach
Our open-vocabulary analysis yields further insights into the behavioral residue of personality types beyond those from a priori word-category based approaches, giving unanticipated results (correlations between language and personality, gender, or age). For example, we make the novel discoveries that mentions of an assortment of social sports and life activities (such as basketball, snowboarding, church, meetings) correlate with emotional stability, and that introverts show an interest in Japanese media (such as anime, pokemon, manga and Japanese emoticons: ˆ_ˆ).
78zd9.png

buncha shonen obsessed loners itt

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
However message boards are the only way to weigh what people's opinions actually are on the internet more or less. There isn't some huge website that posts anime/manga reviews as it's emphasis that actually has some credibility.

Statistics how do they work

The majority of anime fans post actively on the internet, yes. Primarily because anime and manga are most popularly viewed on the computer more than anything else.

Can you even tell when you're completely making shit up?

Nisekoi 92
Well I've seen eye color changes with babies, but all the three years-old I had to deal with had their definite eye color. Ah well, I'm reading too far into it.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Series like Naruto and Bleach are more popular on the internet than in real life.

I just kind of find the separation of "real life" and "Internet" as kind of funny somewhat in this discussion. Is people posting "I like Naruto/Bleach" in Internet will not also hold the same opinion in the "real life"? :p

Anyways, if you are using message board to gauge the popularity or how people critically review works like Naruto or Bleach, for every 10 people criticizing them and calling them trash or whatever I can also point another 10 or perhaps even 15 who viewed both of them as accomplished works. Or... maybe for you only negative opinion in the message board counts and every opinion contrary to that--or say, opinions that are not aligned with yours--is not counted (for some reason)?

Azure J

One Piece

*Its_Happening.gif*

Oh man, I like that I'm so easy to please that talking about some of the events that led to the foundation of the social structure in their world was enough to make me this excited.

Shokugeki no Soma 41

Was totally expecting the dad to show up then leave before Soma could see him for "intrigue's" sake, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how that turned out. This author is good at keeping things playful. And yeah, we need to see grown up Soma asap.

dumbyugi

Nisekoi 92

My eye colour changed from light blue to a darker blue as I got older but brown to blue seems incredibly unlikley. I wonder if the 4th key holder will be a new girl or someone we already know?

Une Histoire d'Un Amateur de Friandises 2

Jean-Louis doesn't care what your gender is as long as you love chocolate.

Kusagari

Yes, you're right that manga and anime is largely consumed by people on the Internet - at least in the west.

But that does not mean they actively post on message boards. I think you're vastly overestimating the correlation between the two.

Aizo

Banned
Slam Dunk - Vol. 23-26
I'm mostly posting to show this picture. Sakuragi's head shot is incredible.

There isn't as much character development anymore; it's all about the basketball. I'm missing the character interactions from the earlier part of the series, but besides that, I'm still diggin' it.

Kusagari

One important thing to take away from that cloud is that Bleach is more slanted toward extroversion than Pokemon, Final Fantasy and Doctor Who.

Dudebros reading Bleach confirmed.

Big One

Banned
Yes, you're right that manga and anime is largely consumed by people on the Internet - at least in the west.

But that does not mean they actively post on message boards. I think you're vastly overestimating the correlation between the two.
I never said they did. What I am suggesting, however, is that message boards are the only real way to figure out what opinions are popular on the internet on a statistic level. Comment sections apply too which imo are just glorified forums anyway. I'm not here to say that there isn't Naruto and Bleach fans because there is, but there's always a large negative reception on pretty much any message board where you post anything about Naruto and Bleach. If it can happen on GAF, where someone gets banned for saying homosexual slurs, what makes you think it isn't just as bad, if not worse in other places?

Gokukoku no Brynhildr 51
Holy fucking shit. She actually went and did it. How can Ryouta's plans possibly survive this? I could see him anticipating (and possibly even encouraging through the instructions he gave her) Kazumi's emotional state, but it's stretching belief that he could foresee her being willing to sacrifice Neko (and by this method / process).

I suppose, given Mizuka's last words, there's a chance she actually did hack the world one final time, told Ryouta about Kazumi's actions etc and he was able to plan accordingly. Otherwise, outside of Kazumi having a major change of heart or * Kana, it seems like someone has to suffer a BAD END here.

Nisekoi 92

If the 4th keyblade wielder somehow turns out to be Tsugumi I quit manga forever. Or until the next Screaming Lessons chapter comes out.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Vinland saga

Huh, thorfinn probably won't throw down and give up, which would make the whole "getting his face pummeled into a blob" thing kind of pointless.

I never said they did. What I am suggesting, however, is that message boards are the only real way to figure out what opinions are popular on the internet on a statistic level. Comment sections apply too which imo are just glorified forums anyway. I'm not here to say that there isn't Naruto and Bleach fans because there is, but there's always a large negative reception on pretty much any message board where you post anything about Naruto and Bleach. If it can happen on GAF, where someone gets banned for saying homosexual slurs, what makes you think it isn't just as bad, if not worse in other places?

No, the people who tend to post their opinions on the internet in the form of message boards tend to be the types to have extreme opinion one way or another. You go to the toonami discussion, and you have tons of people complaining about Bleach. Yet, Bleach continually gets the highest ratings. That wouldn't be happening if people didn't like it.

I have tons of friends who read western and Japanese comics who have never posted to a message board about either topics.

I know tons of gamers who never post to message boards about games they enjoy or did not enjoy.

You know how these people spread their opinions? They send text messages, send messages over google talk, have phone conversations, or talk about it when they hangout.

Shengar

Vinland Saga 97
Not actually bad, but still too preachy

One Piece 722
Welp, things escalated quickly. Come on Oda! Deliver it like you do pre-time skip!

Fairy Tail

I would have liked to hear more about God slayers, like who are the gods that they are slaying to be called that. And now we are introduced to a new kind of slayers, demon slayers. At least Tartarus look good. BTW Silver has the face of Gildartz, and the hair of Laxus.

Lol about majority of anime and manga fans post online.

House Backers 2 [end]

Could have been longer, as more time with the house maid and the writer would have been funny since they never did officially become lovers and just ended with the teast through miscommunication about the widow. Still had a funny premise.

Kare no Tokubetsu na Kare 3
tumblr_mtsc7dbXWj1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Yuuichi finally gets a potential pair but is so clueless since Louis seems to speak French to voice his true feelings and no one else understands. Artist also makes Yuuichi look easily first best in the series, but why so girl obsessed. :(

Tripon

Given the way Mashima writes his plots, this is pretty much obvious.

Originally Posted by TheRealTalker

Fairy Tail

calling it now... Silver is Gray's Dad

you heard it here first folks
Originally Posted by Phoenician_Viking

More like Ultear´s dad ;)

You're all wrong. Its really Juvia's father, and he's the next arc is about forcing Gray and Juvia into a shotgun wedding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom