• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yen Press owns the NA rights to SAO so it can't be that.

They also said it might not be a series that's in Weekly Jump, so possibly Jump Square or Young Jump?

I thought Yen Press only licensed the light novels and not the manga. Not like this new series can't possibly be it, right...

The tease for the new manga joining viz's shonen jump
tumblr_mty64z7LOX1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Is there a manga based upon Onimusha?

Was my gut reaction when I saw it

upandaway

What is it upandaway, tell us!
haly calm down dunno

look at this part

uAkHs6v.png

I'm looking and no series in WSJ or Square has a protagonist with this thing in their uniform. Plenty have the double ziggy part of it but none have the teeth.

It could be that it's not even part of the jacket but whatever, I can't even access this magazine man

edit: whoa

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It looks like Attack on Titans meets Dance in the Vampire Bund.

It sounds like everyone in that series is a shota or a loli, orz.

As it kind of should with it's story premise

One day, a mysterious virus appeared on Earth which killed every infected human over the age of 13. At the same time, vampires emerged from the world's dark recesses and enslaved mankind. Enter Hyakuya Yuuichirou, a young boy, who along with the rest of the children from his orphanage, are treated as livestock by the vampires. Even in captivity, Yuuichirou dreams big. He dreams of killing vampires. He dreams of killing them all.

bigkrev

It sounds like everyone in that series is a shota or a loli, orz.

You say that like its a bad thing!

The switch to day and date with Japan makes it impossible to start series that are more than 1 volume old (the most you can expect to sell to people) you are never seeing something like Soma or HQ start because they would need to dump all of the chapters before starting.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
As it kind of should with it's story premise

Oh for fuck's sake!

The switch to day and date with Japan makes it impossible to start series that are more than 1 volume old (the most you can expect to sell to people) you are never seeing something like Soma or HQ start because they would need to dump all of the chapters before starting.

They didn't do that with Nisekoi.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
One day, a mysterious virus appeared on Earth which killed every infected human over the age of 13. At the same time, vampires emerged from the world's dark recesses and enslaved mankind. Enter Hyakuya Yuuichirou, a young boy, who along with the rest of the children from his orphanage, are treated as livestock by the vampires. Even in captivity, Yuuichirou dreams big. He dreams of killing vampires. He dreams of killing them all.

It looks like Attack on Titans meets Dance in the Vampire Bund.

WHAT DID I SAY? WHAT DID I SAY?

They could easily do two chapters a week to until they catch up

mhs004

While I am very disappointed with their choice. At least make it a weekly dammit! I am slightly happy that they are getting a new series and hopefully a new one in the near future.

upandaway

Maybe they're reaching their manpower limit or something.

Which is weird since they're using these for the volume releases, it's not like it adds more work, just changes the pace.

While I am very disappointed with their choice. At least make it a weekly dammit! I am slightly happy that they are getting a new series and hopefully a new one in the near future.

Nothing in the lineup currently is ending [after Jaco today] or even at risk of ending, so unless HxH returns, I cant imagine any new series will be joining the lineup for awhile.(unless that jump plus thing is pursued).

bigkrev

They could easily do two chapters a week to until they catch up

At 2 chapters a week, it's going to take you a number of weeks equal to the current chapter to catch up. So it would be 40ish weeks for Soma, and over a year for each of HQ and AssClass. Doesn't seem feasable.

Nothing in the lineup currently is ending [after Jaco today] or even at risk of ending, so unless HxH returns, I cant imagine any new series will be joining the lineup for awhile.(unless that jump plus thing is pursued).

I would be SHOCKED if HxH wasn't in US jump if it comes back from Hiatus. I'm actually surprised we didn't get the specials.

Erotic Fairy Tales: Snow White 1
This is rather dark compared to the past couple EFT. Also lots of lewdness

Upotte 46
What the hell was that thing

bigkrev

They could do like they did with world trigger. Start a new series the same time as Japanese Jump.

That's pretty much the only thing they can do.

I honestly thought that US Jump was dead when they decided to switch to digital only. When it was a magazine, it wasn't competing against scan websites. As a digital item, unless they were adding a ton of editorial content, it is in competition with scans, and if they were only publishing old content, it isn't even much of a fight. Transitioning to day and date with Japan in theory would give them an advantage, but we get english scans before Japan gets it- leading to things like creators wondering how people are tweeting at them about stuff that hasn't been published yet!

Viz cannot compete with scanners. Wednesday becomes a "avoid Mangaf" day for me, because all anyone talks about is stuff that US Jump can't publish for another 5 days. And what about series like HQ and Assassination Classroom that don't have early translations? They need to find a way to get all of that content out instantly. If next week comes, and the new series is Soma starting at chapter 42, that would be GREAT for us. However, for the vast majority of people who are just discovering Soma, they would be confused. They would need to google Soma, and probably read early stuff on scan websites. Driving people to scans is the LAST thing that Viz wants! And unless they were willing to give away at least the first volume free of charge to subscribers, they aren't going to be able to get away with just posting all the volumes for sale on day 1, because asking people to shell out money for more than a volume or 2 sight unseen is gross.

With World Trigger (and Cross Manage IIRC), they decided to start publishing a long term series from chapter 1 concurrently with Japan. And for the most part, it has successfully stayed ahead of translators. The site I read most of my stuff on doesn't even host english versions of World Trigger, and a few months ago, someone posted asking DTL and I where we were finding World Trigger so early! The main problem with this process is that you can't predict the JPN audience reactions (Cross Manage), and you need to start from Chapter 1- even a week late and your probably conceding to scanners. There are probably also publishing issues associated with this, but I won't pretend to know anything about how the Japanese side views the US side.

If Viz had unlimited manpower and money, EVERY SINGLE new series starting in Jump should be debuting in both publications day and date. Unfortunately, we don't live in Magical Christmasland, so we need to settle for whatever new series is starting when they have an open slot and staff. You are competing against scans otherwise, and scans have the advantage of being free. You aren't beating free.

Conan-san

Sword Art Online - Girls Ops 2

That was pretty odd, why would one want a genderbended Kirito character. Dont know why Im still reading anymore, maybe real Kirito will show up.

Eh, I think it's an interesting area to look into. Quite how she knows about Kirito is a good question (for the most part SAO player IDs were not divulged to protect the innocent) so It's an interesting little puzzler.

How much it's mired in love triangle bullshit, is another matter.

Dayum, you two nailed it. A Jump SQ series too.
No complaints here, I remember that not being too bad from what I read. Played it's hand about the whole
LOL, the vampires were lying
stitch a little too quickly but it had promise.

Assassination Classroom 60

Well I didnt think an assault against the students by unknown forces would be happening so soon (though thankfully Karma kun is spared...), it did help to make things not too depressing since they failed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I don't see the issue with putting in currently running Jump series. They brought in Nisekoi in the middle and did a big recap page.

Also, Owari no Seraph isn't new, it started up last year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Does US Jump actually make money? I mean, how do they compete with free and faster? I mean, if you type in basically any series, the first or second result is illegal piracy shit of it.

Conan-san

I don't see the issue with putting in currently running Jump series. They brought in Nisekoi in the middle and did a big recap page.

Rough guess from it's baka updates page it's about 9 chapters in and it's monthly so if they did a chapter a week they'd be current and running monthly by December or so.

Does US Jump actually make money? I mean, how do they compete with free and faster? I mean, if you type in basically any series, the first or second result is illegal piracy shit of it.
I imagine the YGO cards help.

bigkrev

Also, Nisekoi is a series where nothing ever happens, and you could skip a month or two and be none the worse off

Rough guess from it's baka updates page it's about 9 chapters in and it's monthly so if they did a chapter a week they'd be current and running monthly by December or so.

I imagine the YGO cards help.

Especially since no one does the yugioh mangas except viz and I dont think we should assume that just because people can access stuff via alternative means that people wouldnt support the endeavour enough so to have viz keep this going now to its third year of being with us come January...

Conan-san

Especially since no one does the yugioh mangas except viz and I dont think we should assume that just because people can access stuff via alternative means that people wouldnt support the endeavour enough so to have viz keep this going now to its third year of being with us come January...
I was actauly meaning the physical YGO cards but ok.

Also, I don't think the color DBZ manga's around anywhere online. OK it's dragonball but the point stands, right?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

I bet it's making more money than the magazine was at the very least. Plus the largest cost in making it is paying people to translate chapters that would inevitable end up needing translations anyway for the volume releases.

And the entire existence of Alpha is just to provide an answer to the rhetorical excuse that pirating only exists in the absence of a legal version. And since it's creation, Shueisha has been pretty effective in shutting down/limiting a lot of pirate sites. They just can't touch the chinese ones.

Conan-san

I'd say half of their subscribers just want the YGO cards
And why not? Between YGO players who find use with them and Grodnards who'd buy them and second copys for silly cash I say it's a good deal.

Now if they would make that deal such that UK players could get those cards, moreso the better.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'd say half of their subscribers just want the YGO cards
And the other half are probably fans who want to support Alpha but don't actually bother reading from there.

As it stands, Viz is in a good position to capitalize should Shueisha ever solve their early leaks problem. But I'm not really convinced they want to. The US manga market is super weak and the amount of people willing to pay for manga would probably be the same as now... aka almost nothing. So they probably have more to benefit by allowing free online manga in hopes that it builds fanbases and allows them to make money via merchandising, volume releases and anime. And the proof of that, I'd say, is the continued existence of the slightly better illegal online reader, who is allowed to exist despite being western based and having been scared into submission previously.

mhs004

That's pretty much the only thing they can do.

I honestly thought that US Jump was dead when they decided to switch to digital only. When it was a magazine, it wasn't competing against scan websites. As a digital item, unless they were adding a ton of editorial content, it is in competition with scans, and if they were only publishing old content, it isn't even much of a fight. Transitioning to day and date with Japan in theory would give them an advantage, but we get english scans before Japan gets it- leading to things like creators wondering how people are tweeting at them about stuff that hasn't been published yet!

Viz cannot compete with scanners. Wednesday becomes a "avoid Mangaf" day for me, because all anyone talks about is stuff that US Jump can't publish for another 5 days. And what about series like HQ and Assassination Classroom that don't have early translations? They need to find a way to get all of that content out instantly. If next week comes, and the new series is Soma starting at chapter 42, that would be GREAT for us. However, for the vast majority of people who are just discovering Soma, they would be confused. They would need to google Soma, and probably read early stuff on scan websites. Driving people to scans is the LAST thing that Viz wants! And unless they were willing to give away at least the first volume free of charge to subscribers, they aren't going to be able to get away with just posting all the volumes for sale on day 1, because asking people to shell out money for more than a volume or 2 sight unseen is gross.

With World Trigger (and Cross Manage IIRC), they decided to start publishing a long term series from chapter 1 concurrently with Japan. And for the most part, it has successfully stayed ahead of translators. The site I read most of my stuff on doesn't even host english versions of World Trigger, and a few months ago, someone posted asking DTL and I where we were finding World Trigger so early! The main problem with this process is that you can't predict the JPN audience reactions (Cross Manage), and you need to start from Chapter 1- even a week late and your probably conceding to scanners. There are probably also publishing issues associated with this, but I won't pretend to know anything about how the Japanese side views the US side.

If Viz had unlimited manpower and money, EVERY SINGLE new series starting in Jump should be debuting in both publications day and date. Unfortunately, we don't live in Magical Christmasland, so we need to settle for whatever new series is starting when they have an open slot and staff. You are competing against scans otherwise, and scans have the advantage of being free. You aren't beating free.

It's the same with me I prefer reading the series on Jump when it's released Mondays so when it's Wednesday I try to stay away.

I wish it went back to physical but I can see why they switched as it would cost them quite a bit of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom