• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbyugi

I seriously can't wait until I get my copy. D:

Is it normal for mangaka to clean up or improve their art for the tankouban aside from cases like Hunter X Hunter chicken scratchings?

It's pretty common. Sometimes it's just little changes that are almost unnoticeable and other times it's big improvements, like in Hunter X Hunter.

Pimpwerx

I don't even read this, but I love these. Except for that dumb looking protag. Dude kills every piece like this.

That's what's so great about Saitama. He's drawn completely different from everyone else. He's drawn so simply, but then ends up being the real badass in the group. PEACE.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Naruto's childhood was filled with loneliness but it shouldn't be as bad as it's hyped up to be.

Sasuke's childhood did suck, but since Kishimoto doesn't know how to write human beings it results in teenage angst...rather than insanity, suicidal tendencies, narcissism, traits associated with terrible events like what happened to the Uchiha clan. Sasuke's reaction to getting his whole clan slaughtered? Shrug it off and just keep my mouth shut and be rude to everyone cause I have better skills than everyone else, so I can align myself with the forces of evil even though I could get just as powerful training under Konoha teachers as I would under Orochimaru (and in the long run, Konoha teachers are better cause look at how fucking hax Naruto is.) Makes perfect sense.

Gaara's childhood I don't really buy too much either. But the character arc between him and Naruto was solid so I'm generally ok with it.

It wouldn't be a major issue if Naruto was a comedy series that tries to insert realism. Naruto is the inverse, it's a series where Kishimoto specifically writes everything to be as realistic as possible when it comes to how characters interact with each other and the storylines themselves with some comedy inserted there sometimes. This is why I'm so hard on series like Naruto and Bleach, yet I'm ok if One Piece fucks up. Naruto and Bleach are two series made to be taken as seriously as possible, while One Piece is mainly formatted like a gag manga like Dragonball but has serious edges that happens more rarely than they do in Naruto and Bleach. This makes a lot of the more exaggerative leaps in One Piece a lot more believable to me, cause the whole manga itself is exaggerative. In Naruto and Bleach, you have "real" moments like characters tragically dying or getting traumatized somehow, but it's so badly written and poorly developed outside of some cases that it might as well not be there in the first place.

Also the amount of filler chapters in Naruto and Bleach is insufferable. So much so you can literally read volumes worth of material of Bleach, for example, and be done with them in about 5 minutes when it should take you an hour or thirty minutes to read the average volume of manga (unless you're an ungodly fast reader like I used to be). Naruto does something even worse: It adds dialogue. So much dialogue that there's sometimes important plot progression in the midst of filler material so you pretty much HAVE to read everything to make sure you know what's going on outside of the constant slow lingering of characters chatting about stuff like how great Naruto, Kakashi, Sasuke, whatever are. And Bleach and Naruto are both guilty of this: Training arcs. Issue isn't the concept itself, but rather the fact that there's so many of them and they serve the same exact purpose of explaining shit that no one gives a shit about. Imagine if you were reading a Superman comic and all of a sudden Superman is being told by Martian Manhunter WHY he can fly in large bubbles of dialogue that take up half of the issue of the comic you're reading. That's what Naruto and Bleach does, and honestly who gives a shit?

Filler material that has important plot material in it isn't filler material. I think you're a wee bit confused if you think anything about Naruto is supposed to be realistic, including the character interaction.

bigkrev

I seriously can't wait until I get my copy. D:

Is it normal for mangaka to clean up or improve their art for the tankouban aside from cases like Hunter X Hunter chicken scratchings?

In general, stuff that really isn't important (like characters in the background of a market scene, trees in the distance) to the story is stuff that gets cleaned up for the volume releases. Making a weekly series seems like torture- hell, there is a 5 page thing in Magi vol 1 about the authors weekly schedule!- so some stuff gets rushed. The weekly magazines is more of a first draft, while the volume version is the final product.

Filler material that has important plot material in it isn't filler material. I think you're a wee bit confused if you think anything about Naruto is supposed to be realistic, including the character interaction.

Honestly, outside of very few works are ANY works of fiction realistic in character interaction?

Conversations in real life are so fucking different from scripts and acting's dialogue in movies and tv shows it's baffling.

You don't have people in real life doing things like in the movies for SYMBOLISM and what not!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd like to point out that, although I have no opinion on this conversation specifically, believable character interaction is not the same thing as realistic character interaction.

Naruto's childhood was filled with loneliness but it shouldn't be as bad as it's hyped up to be.

As a kid who was bullied and isolated for a year, I will just disagree with this one. Those memories just follows you around like a fucking dark cloud. I can't imagine having to face that for 6, 7 years.

You can say that it was badly written, but don't ever think that loneliness can't fuck you up. It will.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya-chan Vol.07

D4ogIrZl.jpg

I do find it amusing at all these events that end up pairing Kyon and Haruhi together. At this point, everything feels like they are getting crazier and that makes it more enjoyable to read.

wonzo

Banned
Kingdom 232-234
Yeah, that was a pretty obvious bait and switch. Still, that old guy is soooooooooo fucked.

OPM 29

Aww yusss, they're finally here!! My only real issue is how large King's chin is. Looks weird.

Ran and the Gray World 29-30

Holy shit, did Outarou just rip out his fucking spine? omfg

Still, I can't help but feel there's more bad stuff to come given the ominous end of chapter 30.

Kingdom 232-234

Yeah, that was a pretty obvious bait and switch. Still, that old guy is soooooooooo fucked.

OPM 29

Aww yusss, they're finally here!! My only real issue is how large King's chin is. Looks weird.

Ran and the Gray World 29-30

Holy shit, did Outarou just rip out his fucking spine? omfg

Still, I can't help but feel there's more bad stuff to come given the ominous end of chapter 30.
The Chingine is roaring

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'd like to point out that, although I have no opinion on this conversation specifically, believable character interaction is not the same thing as realistic character interaction.

He said "as realistic as possible." *shrug*

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Silly grimace I don't read his posts. Thanks for the sparknotes tho.

While I agree that everyone tripping over themselves to become Naruto's bff is getting old I don't think Naruto has been anywhere near as bad as this thread would have me otherwise believe were I not reading it myself, all that's going on here is just a logical continuation of what Naruto has been since day one, its only just that it has been repeated so many times over the course of the series that I can't blame people for becoming resentful because of it.

Draxal

Man, just burned through of Murata's one punch man, then read through the original. I love the original just as much.

Man, just burned through of Murata's one punch man, then read through the original. I love the original just as much.

Good man! how do you see the series proceeding from here?
Now that Garaou is on his last leg and the limiter reveal some chapters back Ia m not sure how they are gonna get any other Villain even remotely as powerful ever again unless more people starts to remove their limiter which would only diminish the series imo

wonzo

Banned
Koe no Katachi 2
Now I remember why Screaming Lessons was sitting at the bottom of my MU list unread. The male teacher's a real piece of shit too, I hope he gets reprimanded by the end of this and the girl that wanted to learn sign language shows up again.

For reals though don't they have ethics lessons the teachers have to go through or something???

Magi 199

Bring on the Mor & Toto harem threesome with King Alibaba.

Kusagari

Now that Garaou is on his last leg and the limiter reveal some chapters back Ia m not sure how they are gonna get any other Villain even remotely as powerful ever again unless more people starts to remove their limiter which would only diminish the series imo

Well they already have that "God" that's been mentioned throughout this arc.

Gundam The Origin v3 chps 3 -4
tumblr_mu4juzZMGk1qbxqfpo1_500.jpg

Poor Amuro being talked about right in front of his face and even at risk of being taken from Gundam. I would have fled too if they had said such things. Though the writing was pretty awkward for him, that is, why does he, one with Newtype abilities in a powerful Gundam lose now twice against a Gouf. How are Gouf's more powerful than Gundams. Diner scene with Hamon, Ramba Ral, and Amuro before Frau arrived was good.

Draxal

In all honesty, I'm not here for serious analysis and just enjoying the ride.

I really have no clue where's he going and it's one of the reasons I'm enjoying it, I love the pacing of it.

Are you referring to the vision by that oracle?
In all honesty, I'm not here for serious analysis and just enjoying the ride.

I really have no clue where's he going and it's one of the reasons I'm enjoying it, I love the pacing of it.
Yeah I agree as well the unpredictable nature of this series is what makes it fun I honestly thought I would be bored of it already

Korosenai

Are you referring to the vision by that oracle?

Yeah I agree as well the unpredictable nature of this series is what makes it fun I honestly thought I would be bored of it already
The hobo who saw God to obtain his powers... I think. He could play a role later on.

daoster

There is also the S Class Metal Knight. Engine Knight, another S Class hero, told Genos that not to trust him. And we haven't even seen the rank 1 S class hero yet! There's so much left to tell!

Big One

Banned
Explain to me how Naruto isn't written to be taken seriously. There's absolutely nothing that suggests it isn't especially since the whole manga has a very broody and emotional tone. One of Kishimoto's influences is Akira which also deals with similar themes like loneliness and friendship, the whole setup is modeled to where we're supposed to seriously sympathize with the Naruto characters when something bad happens.

Big One

Banned
Speaking of filler material, One Piece is just as guilty as Naruto and Bleach, in my opinion, if not even more :p
List examples. Only thing that comes to mind is Davy Back Fight but everything else always has different things happening more or less throughout the series. In Naruto there are so many chapters discussing the same subject over and over again to fill up time without developing said subject. In One Piece when a subject is discussed, it picks up from where it was previously in the story.

If One Piece was anything like Naruto we'd spend 100 chapters of Admirals talking about how badass and ruthless Akainu is. But instead we constantly get word that Akainu beat this guy, Akainu rules over the Marines now, Akainu beat Aokiji, etc. It's progression rather than just filling up pages with stagnant material.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
List examples. Only thing that comes to mind is Davy Back Fight but everything else always has different things happening more or less throughout the series. In Naruto there are so many chapters discussing the same subject over and over again to fill up time without developing said subject. In One Piece when a subject is discussed, it picks up from where it was previously in the story.

If One Piece was anything like Naruto we'd spend 100 chapters of Admirals talking about how badass and ruthless Akainu is. But instead we constantly get word that Akainu beat this guy, Akainu rules over the Marines now, Akainu beat Aokiji, etc. It's progression rather than just filling up pages with stagnant material.

Maybe later, I am at the office right now, hahaha, but one thing that immediately came to mind is Skypiea/Enel's arc. Sure, they find a missing Lost History tablet in the end, but even if you excise all of the things leading up to that scene (the fights with Enel etc etc) nothing really changes, imo.

But I can imagine Oda perhaps mentioning Enel 200 chapters later and people would say "See, it amounts to SOMETHING" even if in-between those 200 chapters Enel not being mentioned even just once :p

Aizo

Banned
Whoa you went off the deep end there, calm down. I said "as much as possible", not "more than is possible", okay!

Conan passed that point about half the series ago

I was just thinking about picking Conan back up today... Should I not?
I just really like detective fiction, so I can accept that the Black Organization stuff isn't gonna be wrapped up any time soon. Are the details about the organization just too small to even make a difference in the plot?

Speaking of Conan, I started reading it again after watching the anime Years ago (like 5 or six, maybe even more). Or at least I'm trying to: I'm skimming through the chapters so see whenre I left off and as of that one the translation/cleanup is HORRIBLE. Does it get better later on?

LeleSocho

Banned
The thing that pisses me off about Conan is that time essentially froze in that manga.
Let's say that every murder case lasts 4 chapter then let's say that he's unlucky enough that a new case happens every week (please never come near me, i don't want to die) since the beginning of the manga should've passed at least 4 years but Conan is still a brat and Ran an high school girl.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Speaking of Conan, I started reading it again after watching the anime Years ago (like 5 or six, maybe even more). Or at least I'm trying to: I'm skimming through the chapters so see whenre I left off and as of that one the translation/cleanup is HORRIBLE. Does it get better later on?

Oddly enough, it went horrible --> decent --> horrible. At least up to the point where I stopped reading it because I am *just* *tired* of it.

upandaway

I was just thinking about picking Conan back up today... Should I not?
I just really like detective fiction, so I can accept that the Black Organization stuff isn't gonna be wrapped up any time soon. Are the details about the organization just too small to even make a difference in the plot?
You should probably ask KuwabaraTheMan since he's the only one still posting about it.

I'm also planning on starting it again sometime in the future, but only with some kind of list that has all of the cases that relate to the overarching point in some way. Pretty sure that list exists, and even that kind of list will be a huge lengthy read.

Aizo

Banned
The thing that pisses me off about Conan is that time essentially froze in that manga.
Let's say that every murder case lasts 4 chapter then let's say that he's unlucky enough that a new case happens every week (please never come near me, i don't want to die) since the beginning of the manga should've passed at least 4 years but Conan is still a brat and Ran an high school girl.

I was talking to my friend about that the other week. Hahahah.

Most authors have a horrible sense on the passage of time.

dumbyugi

Kase-san 7

I forgot this was still going. I imagine there will be some kind of drama coming up soon, like there always is in these types of yuri series. I would guess that the rumours of Kase-san having dated girls from her club will come back up again. I hope not though, yuri drama is almost always exactly the same and it's kind of boring.

Glass Rebel

It is extremely weird... Studying in those fields must be tough, though, so one needs an outlet for their stress!
Are you one of the lawmen of ManGAF?

Nah, I used to be one of the medicinemen of ManGAF but I quickly realized that it wasn't the right line of work for me. I still work part-time at my local hospital but I switched to English Studies and Computer Sciences about two years ago. Much better :lol

The Breaker 121
SHION'S BECOMING MANLY
Now for the ultimate showdown against the Nine-Arts Dragons ! Student vs Teacher ! Korea's going down ! Hell yeah !

Nisekoi
Girls who eat are cuter
1364167329905.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom