• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTX| Attack on Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swagamoto 1-6

Wow I can't believe I waited so long to read this. So far though chapter 6 and the girls chapter was the weakest ones so far. Can't wait for more though.

Articalys

Nisekoi 94

Yay! New chapt--

*Haru chapter*

ur6ACh1.gif

Setsuna

You're confusing the issue of Urahara teleporting in with the solution to all of their problems to one about plot consistency. We never had a reason to believe Urahara was just going to figure it all out and save them, and certainly not that he could reduce it down to pill form.

he was trying to figrue it out for 3 days straight

the same guy who found a way to:
  1. shift a town between dimensions
  2. open up a garganta from one dimension to another by analyzing something he saw once
  3. and create anti armor boots
in less than a month

do you really think he wouldn't be able to analyze a medallion to see how it works within 3 days

Assassination Classroom 51
I love the continuation of showing off what new skills the class has now and how well they fare against human opponents.

Swagmoto 6
Creepy moms are creepy like overzealous fangirls.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Attack on Titan 50

Eren...isn't useless anymore...he sacked the fuck up and now he can command the other titans of all things. Whatever's going on humanity has some hope now. Also Eren needs to tap dat Misaka ass when they get back behind the wall, she was throwing herself at him before he grew his pair. Holy shit.

Attack on Titan 50

Eren...isn't useless anymore...he sacked the fuck up and now he can command the other titans of all things. Whatever's going on humanity has some hope now. Also Eren needs to tap dat Misaka ass when they get back behind the wall, she was throwing herself at him before he grew his pair. Holy shit.

For sure, we knew she was thirsty but DAMN middle of a battle ground she would have done it right then and there regardless of who saw

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
he was trying to figrue it out for 3 days straight

the same guy who found a way to:
  1. shift a town between dimensions
  2. open up a garganta from one dimension to another by analyzing something he saw once
  3. and create anti armor boots
in less than a month

do you really think he wouldn't be able to analyze a medallion to see how it works within 3 days
That goes to plausibility. Its not the same thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
For sure, we knew she was thirsty but DAMN middle of a battle ground she would have done it right then and there regardless of who saw

For real, she is damn thirsty. Right there in the middle of everyone they've ever known getting killed and she's hot for him. If he doesn't hit that later...man...worse than Minamoto if he doesn't...

For real, she is damn thirsty. Right there in the middle of everyone they've ever known getting killed and she's hot for him. If he doesn't hit that later...man...worse than Minamoto if he doesn't...

To be fair, what happens if in the throws of passion Eren goes Titan on her?

God Jean's reaction if he ever finds Mikasa and Eren in the throes of passion..... LOL.

Armin would be like... About time! Speaking of Armin, I can see the new Commander of the Scouting Legion as most of us have guessed.

Erwin won't last long with one arm.

Dresden

It's a given that Erwin will have to stay in the capital now, but I'm not sure if they'll even have time to assemble the scouting legion. Bert and Ernie are going to have two pieces of incredibly terrible news for their home village:

1. Eren's titan commandar powah has awoken
2. HOLY SHIT ANNIE IS BEING TORCHURED

We better see a large-scale human titan invasion.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Mikasa is so cute <3333333333333333

Hopefully this chapter will shut up the bafflingly stupid assessment that she's not in love with Eren. I mean, WTF.

I haven't posted a single gif in this thread. I like how you don't actually try to refute what I said and just go straight for the ad hominen.
Refute what? I already refuted what they said, with what presented in the manga. I like how you try to attack people about a manga you don´t read so you can spread your fanboyism and hubris across.
If you ask someone "why do you think _________" and they say "you're a tool I hate you," you can rest assured you probably won.

Except i have proven my point, so you have no ground to stand on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Refute what? I already refuted what they said, with what presented in the manga. I like how you try to attack people about a manga you don´t read so you can spread your fanboyism and hybris across.

A new word!

Huh... wikipedia told me it's alternative transliteration of the original ancient Greek word &#8021;&#946;&#961;&#953;&#962;.... basically the same as Hubris.

Learning something new even if I have to dodge all the bullets shot around by you guys, hahaha.

Wiseblade

Refute what? I already refuted what they said, with what presented in the manga. I like how you try to attack people about a manga you don´t read so you can spread your fanboyism and hubris across.

Refute what? You still haven't shown that you know what a deus ex machina is. The issue is that a third party came along and solved an issue the protagonists made for themselves. Nobody cares that Urahara has been established as more than intelligent enough to solve the issue, the captains should have solved it for themselves.

You're right, I don't read Bleach. But I don't need to read it to see that you either completely fail to understand what people are actually complaining about, or you're deliberately twisting posts to try and win an argument on a videogame forum.

Actually you totally ignored my last post, which I thought had some pretty salient points in it.

You can't just tell people that you've won an argument. That is not how arguments work.

You presented your dissatisfaction with the chapter as a Deus Ex Machina. Sorry but it´s not how it works. You went all around saying that the shinigami need to earn their bankai back. Well, here´s the thing. Urahara has invented plenty of things before, so this is a precedent for what he did in this chapter. So how is him moving between worlds, which he has done before, and inventing weapons/stuff, which he has done before as well, be considered as DEM when Urahara has already invented stuff already? Not to mention that Urahara showed up in places that´s suppose to be a secret(remember Uryuu´s training with his father, and Urahara showed up at their secret training ground) be considered a DEM?

Refute what? You still haven't shown that you know what a deus ex machina is. The issue is that a third party came along and solved an issue the protagonists made for themselves. Nobody cares that Urahara has been established as more than intelligent enough to solve the issue, the captains should have solved it for themselves.

That´s not what Deus Ex Machina means, it seems like you don´t know what it means. When there´s a precedent about a character doing similar stuff in the manga then it´s not a Deus Ex Machina. It does not matter if captains have solved it themselves or not.

Wiseblade

You presented your dissatisfaction with the chapter as a Deus Ex Machina. Sorry but it´s not how it works. You went all around saying that the shinigami need to earn their bankai back. Well, here´s the thing. Urahara has invented plenty of things before, so this is a precedent for what he did in this chapter. So how is him moving between worlds, which he has done before, and inventing weapons/stuff, which he has done before as well, be considered as DEM when Urahara has already invented stuff already? Not to mention that Urahara showed up in places that´s suppose to be a secret(remember Uryuu´s training with his father, and Urahara showed up at their secret training ground) be considered a DEM?

So you REALLY don't understand what a deus ex machina is, do you?

So you REALLY don't understand what a deus ex machina is, do you?

It´s you who don´t understand it.

A deus ex machina (/&#712;de&#618;.&#601;s &#603;ks &#712;m&#593;&#720;ki&#720;n&#601;/ or /&#712;di&#720;&#601;s &#603;ks &#712;mæk&#616;n&#601;/;[1] Latin: "god from the machine" pronounced [&#712;deus eks &#712;ma&#720;.k&#688;i.na]; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.

Not one of this can be attributed to Urahara, as he has done these kind of things before.

Kusagari

A deus ex machina (/&#712;de&#618;.&#601;s &#603;ks &#712;m&#593;&#720;ki&#720;n&#601;/ or /&#712;di&#720;&#601;s &#603;ks &#712;mæk&#616;n&#601;/;[1] Latin: "god from the machine" pronounced [&#712;deus eks &#712;ma&#720;.k&#688;i.na]; plural: dei ex machina) is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the contrived and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability, or object.

Not one of this can be attributed to Urahara, as he has done these kind of things before.

Do you even understand what you're reading? Urahara having a history of unexpected interventions does not change the fact that it's still DEM when it happens. The problem was unsolvable and Urahara showing up with an instant way to negate the problem was clearly unexpected, even by the readers.

Batman has a history of pulling random shit out of his ass but it doesn't change the fact that if he randomly shows up in an X-Men comic with "anti-mutant repellent" it's still DEM.

Do you even understand what you're reading? Urahara having a history of unexpected interventions does not change the fact that it's still DEM when it happens. The problem was unsolvable and Urahara showing up with an instant way to negate the problem was clearly unexpected, even by the readers.

Batman has a history of pulling random shit out of his ass but it doesn't change the fact that if he randomly shows up in an X-Men comic with "anti-mutant repellent" it's still DEM.

Do you? No it´s not a DEM when there is a clear precedent of Urahara´s actions and inventions throughout the series. And talk about yourself! A lot of people knew that Urahara will show up and solve the problem, especially when he stated that he will solve the problem.

Can you even read? Especially when it´s clearly stated that DEM is done by new characters, new abilities, something we have not seen a character do before. Urahara has done plenty of the the same thing before, and he is well established as the smartest character in the manga who has done all kind of inventions.

Wiseblade

Do you? No it´s not a DEM when there is a clear precedent of Urahara´s actions and inventions throughout the series. And talk about yourself! A lot of people knew that Urahara will show up and solve the problem, especially when he stated that he will solve the problem.

Can you even read? Especially when it´s clearly stated that DEM is done by new characters, new abilities, something we have not seen a character do before. Urahara has done plenty of the the same thing before, and he is well established as the smartest character in the manga who has done all kind of inventions.

"It's okay that this third party who tries to distance himself from the main conflict came up with a easy solution to a major crisis for the protagonists, because he does it all the time! What, you think characters should figure out issues of their own creation without outside intervention? That's ridiculous!"

upandaway

As upandaway isn't doing his job, we need a top 5 manga list from you, you can also do a top 5 each for ongoing and complete series of that helps.
Also welcome.
I already asked 3 new guys in a row and all of them ignored me, so I'm taking a self-searching vacation

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Okay. I legitimately spit out my own spit reading this post. Did you read your own post and try to actually implement it into the latest Bleach chapter. Cuz that's exactly what it is. If you don't see it then please lay out in and explicit and concise manner as to what detail makes it not a DEM.

OPM

I stopped right after the Sea King crushed the dome wall. I was a bit disappointed to see how few chapters were released since my break. Is Murata busy doing other things these days or was he sick?

Anyway, it was an interesting choice by Saitama to play along with the accusations. I thought he'd lose it and yell around again. The fan letters were fantastic and I saw them more like Internet comments. Saitama's reaction was wonderful and most people could learn something from this. It makes me wonder if Murata gets any hate letters. On one hand, why would he, but then again, it's the Internet, so you never know. I bet DTL wrote him a strong worded letter, after Genos was beaten to a pulp by the sea king and had to get his ass saved again.

The S-Class meeting is hilarious. I wonder how One's designs for them looked like.

Kusagari

It's not that Urahara solved the problem. I think everyone expected that. It's that he solved it with some instant solution that leads to no growth for the heroes and with no real struggle. It makes every single thing that happened prior worthless.

And you seem caught up in that definition, not realizing that a character themselves can basically be defined by DEM. And Urahara is a character defined by DEM. His place in Bleach is almost literally to always show up with a way to solve an unsolvable problem.

Ichigo needs to get stronger? Hey Urahara has a secret training place to speed it along. Ichigo needs to get to Soul Society? Well sure Urahara can do that. Aizen seems impossible to stop because of the Hogyoku? Well Urahara planted some gambit technique in him that would only activate if Ichigo did enough damage. Masaki needs some way to survive the hollow in the flashback? Well of course Urahara's there to save the day.

Urahara IS Deus Ex Machina in Bleach. He is the God in the Machine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
OPM

I stopped right after the Sea King crushed the dome wall. I was a bit disappointed to see how few chapters were released since my break. Is Murata busy doing other things these days or was he sick?

Anyway, it was an interesting choice by Saitama to play along with the accusations. I thought he'd lose it and yell around again. The fan letters were fantastic and I saw them more like Internet comments. Saitama's reaction was wonderful and most people could learn something from this. It makes me wonder if Murata gets any hate letters. On one hand, why would he, but then again, it's the Internet, so you never know. I bet DTL wrote him a strong worded letter, after Genos was beaten to a pulp by the sea king and had to get his ass saved again.

The S-Class meeting is hilarious. I wonder how One's designs for them looked like.

They were a lot rougher, but Murata's cleaned them up and added a lot of little detail that One didn't. If you know where to look you can find the next two Onepunch-Man arcs translated already, they're One's free versions though.

It's not that Urahara solved the problem. I think everyone expected that. It's that he solved it with some instant solution that leads to no growth for the heroes and with no real struggle. It makes every single thing that happened prior worthless.

And you seem caught up in that definition, not realizing that a character themselves can basically be defined by DEM. And Urahara is a character defined by DEM. His place in Bleach is almost literally to always show up with a way to solve an unsolvable problem.

Ichigo needs to get stronger? Hey Urahara has a secret training place to speed it along. Ichigo needs to get to Soul Society? Well sure Urahara can do that. Aizen seems impossible to stop because of the Hogyoku? Well Urahara planted some gambit technique in him that would only activate if Ichigo did enough damage. Masaki needs some way to survive the hollow in the flashback? Well of course Urahara's there to save the day.

Pretty much, Urahara is there to get Kubo out of tight spots in his plotting. If Kubo needs something done for plot reasons odds are Urahara is going to do it.

Wiseblade

Hopefully he gets it now that someone actually spelled it out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom