• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
***Question***

The WSJ double issue means that next week (or officially next, next Monday) there won't be any chapters correct?

or is it the other way around..... As in there will be chapters next week (or next, next Monday) but the week after that will be on break

Arabesque

***Question***

The WSJ double issue means that next week (or officially next, next Monday) there won't be any chapters correct?

or is it the other way around..... As in there will be chapters next week (or next, next Monday) but the week after that will be on break

Official dates:

Issue 21 comes out next week on the 20th, regular issue.

Issue 22/23 comes out on the 27th, the start of Golden Week. Double Issue.

2 weeks break.

Then Issue 24 come out on May 11th, and then it's every Monday till the next holiday.

So officially, we are getting chapters next week, the week after, but not the week after that.

Edit: got some of he dates wrong, since Golden Week does count as a week also.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That actually makes a lot more sense. I don't know how to feel about new Fuuka taking over old Fuuka's role. You're right, probably is going to happen though.

I think they'll change their tune at some point after a bunch of agonizing thoughts about replacing Akitsuki. They really didn't even think about it to this point.

Full Rankings are now out.

1. Boku no Hero Academia
2. Assassination Classroom
3. Toriko
4. Shokugeki no Soma
5. Black Clover
6. Gintama
7. World Trigger
8. Hinomaru Zumou
9. PSI Kusuo Saiki
10. Kochikame
11. Ultra Battle Satellite*
12. Gakkyuu Houtei
13. Kaizou Ningen Roggy
14. Takujou no Ageha

I'm guessing they will just kill off the bottom four during the same axing.

Official dates:

Issue 21 comes out next week on the 20th, regular issue.

Issue 22/23 comes out on the 27th, the start of Golden Week. Double Issue.

2 weeks break.

Then Issue 24 come out on either May 18th or 19th, and then it's every Monday till the next holiday.

So officially, we are getting chapters next week, the week after, but not the week after that.
thanks

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

1. Boku no Hero Academia
3. Toriko
4. Shokugeki no Soma
5. Black Clover
6. Gintama
7. World Trigger
8. Hinomaru Zumou
9. PSI Kusuo Saiki
10. Kochikame
12. Gakkyuu Houtei
13. Kaizou Ningen Roggy
14. Takujou no Ageha

Seems too early to kill off Roggy and Satellite. Especially since this issue is the latter's first ranking (but yeah I don't see it lasting long).

PK Gaming

OqF0OLk.png

Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking manga (lol)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So we're all under the agreement that Dark Soma > Soma, right?

He's just a completely ridiculous character, I love it

He's nothing like Soma and doesn't even look like him

horrible nickname

1. Boku no Hero Academia
3. Toriko
4. Shokugeki no Soma
5. Black Clover
6. Gintama
7. World Trigger
8. Hinomaru Zumou
9. PSI Kusuo Saiki
10. Kochikame
12. Gakkyuu Houtei
13. Kaizou Ningen Roggy
14. Takujou no Ageha

BLack Clover doing wonders, hope we truly are getting two consecutive weeks of color pages for it.

PK Gaming

He's nothing like Soma and doesn't even look like him

horrible nickname

I used to think it was a pretty dumb nickname myself. Like, i'd see some MangaGAF members mention that, and I figured they were trolling, or something (Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking man!!). But, no they weren't trolling. I get it now.

The thing is, they are similar. They're pretty obvious parallels of each other. (Similar upbringings, similar aesthetic, and they're both incredible hungry for the win). Of course, there are plenty of differences between the 2 characters, but not enough to preclude them from being intentional parallels of each other.

The nickname makes sense.

Angry Grimace

All these while and coming from someone eho hasn't read the manga, I thought there was an alter ego in Soma similar to Yugi.

No. Its just a guy who is nothing like him and doesn't look like him. People just latch onto weird epithets even when they don't make any sense. Soma comes from a small local restaurant and has no specialty beyond shonen hot-bloodedness. Kurokiba (the guy they're calling Dark Soma) is a random foreigner who specializes in seafood who only gets hot-blooded when he's cooking.

They aren't similar in any way, shape or form. They're not even opposites.

Angry Grimace

Inside Mari

Obviously Mari is and has been crazy, but this shit again, got weird as fuck. Not that I expected differently from the author, fuck. There's only two options here: Mari's nuts (likely) or dude gave his clone(?) a handy-J. I don't know if that counts as masturbation or what.

Arabesque

I don't particularly care for what weird nicknames people come up for Soma characters, no matter how little sense they make, but

The thing is, they are similar. They're pretty obvious parallels of each other. (Similar upbringings, similar aesthetic, and they're both incredible hungry for the win). Of course, there are plenty of differences between the 2 characters, but not enough to preclude them from being intentional parallels of each other.

Really?

What we've seen from Kurokiba's childhood had him being verbally abused while working in his first kitchen an treated like shit, and looking scared out of his kind that he'll be thrown to the streets if he doesn't get better. This continued until eventually he became so hyper competitive that he became the best cook in that restaurant till Alice came along and they had their 2 year battle and he started to respect her.

Soma on the other hand went to his dad and told him he wanted to become a cook one day, and his dad treated it nonchalantly at first, but began to take him seriously the more growth Soma displayed over the years.

In what way are their upbringing similar?

Also, Kurokiba wears a bandana that switches him to his hyper-berserker mode (a gimmick Soma never had) and Soma wears a headband. That is where their aesthetic similarities begin and end.

As for wanting to win ... is there any character in this series that doesn't want that? If anything, Soma's character is more about accepting loss and learning from it in order to better himself and refine his lack of skill, while Kurokiba is all about wanting to have exciting, hot blooded matches.

They aren't even remotely similar.

Angry Grimace

I used to think it was a pretty dumb nickname myself. Like, i'd see some MangaGAF members mention that, and I figured they were trolling, or something (Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking man!!). But, no they weren't trolling. I get it now.

The nickname makes sense.

There's literally nothing similar about them beyond being competitive chefs, which is everyone at the entire school. Its like saying Orochimaru is Evil Naruto just because they are ninjas with dead parents even though virtually everyone in Naruto is a ninja with dead parents.

bobohoro

I read both within the last 12 months (KNIM as well too), so I'm fine so far!

You should do a one-man book read club on KNIM and report here as you go, or convince someone else to do so with you.

That's actually a pretty good idea. Might tackle it next, but first:

Pandora Hearts 1-10

This stuff is pretty great. The beginning was kinda confusing and a bit unfocused in terms of storytelling, but the manga manages to turn the setting around and establishes a pretty interesting foundation. It's also refreshing having a MC that is called out for his creepy cheeriness and the hints of madness he has shown so far seem intriguing. So although the first few chapters were kinda messy, I'm definitely keeping with it now.

And

Prison School 173-174

Damn. The dialogue between Medusahead and the PBR was awesome.
And Kyoshi saying I'm not that big a pervert. was also pretty hilarious.
And this standoff is reaching DB levels. This is almost like Freeze vs. Goku on Namek, only more intense.

which one is dark soma? Kurokiba or Hayama?

I like Kurokiba but I really don't like Hayama lol

edit: nvm saw the post above. I don't really think Dark Soma makes sense, they're really nothing alike. He's still better than Hayama though.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
You probably enjoyed the Onizuka bits, then. Author was nearly straight liftin'.
Otherwise it was pretty bog-standard shounen "gotta git moar powahhh + im totally oblivious to the harem forming around me" stuff.

Onizuka is by far my favorite anime ever. I wish they would finish translating the in between chapters ;_;

OTP OTP.

Starting like "one sided love" but where one of the side knew that they are in love

Which manga is this? I forget the name lol

Yoko is doing the dancing manga!!!!

Now everyone wants to pay attention since Yoko-sama is doing it, tried preaching it when the first chapter came out but no one cared about it ;_;. Stuff is made out of gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom