• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
At least she'll always be remembered unlike half of the other cast

People only remember her because they are pervs and tosh draws her with implausibly huge cans. The author never ended up doing anything terribly interesting with her (so far). It seemed like there would be more development at her entire branch family being perceived as inferior to Erina, but for the most part it seems like she doesn't care.

Numb

The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor 1-11

So many VR-MMO mangas. Can't wait to see how long this takes to get into full swing.
Dude has been taking his sweet ass time for a while

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's something about Soma himself that grates me. That whole "shonen obliviousness" thing bugs me, especially when they give him a bunch of deeper motivations for the stuff he does.

PK Gaming

I don't particularly care for what weird nicknames people come up for Soma characters, no matter how little sense they make, but

Really?

What we've seen from Kurokiba's childhood had him being verbally abused while working in his first kitchen an treated like shit, and looking scared out of his kind that he'll be thrown to the streets if he doesn't get better. This continued until eventually he became so hyper competitive that he became the best cook in that restaurant till Alice came along and they had their 2 year battle and he started to respect her.

Yes, really. I'll admit, that I was pretty vague with my comparisons, but i'm going to clarify them. To wit; they both come from a similar background of working in restaurants at a young age. Unlike most of the students, they're experienced with being on the battlefield. The difference you mentioned only highlights the fact that they're foils. Soma was in a loving environment where there was no real penalty to losing, whereas Ryou was in an abusive one where failure meant getting fired (and starving? it's implied he's an orphan).

Also, Kurokiba wears a bandana that switches him to his hyper-berserker mode (a gimmick Soma never had) and Soma wears a headband. That is where their aesthetic similarities begin and end.

The bandana / headband parallel is pretty blatant. Hell, they both tie their headbands on their wrist and immediately use them in a serious cooking match. Ryou going berserker doesn't preclude this from being a parallel. This one should go without saying.

As for wanting to win ... is there any character in this series that doesn't want that? If anything, Soma's character is more about accepting loss and learning from it in order to better himself and refine his lack of skill, while Kurokiba is all about wanting to have exciting, hot blooded matches.

I didn't say that. I said they both have an insatiable (hunger) desire to win, and losing upsets them greatly. I mean, everyone wants to win and nobody wants to lose, but it's much more pronounced with both of those characters.

I'm aware of the fact that they're ultimately their own characters, and Ryou shouldn't be defined by being Soma's "dark half", but at the same time, they're not completely different from each other. In the end, Dark Soma is just a fun nickname, not something I seriously want to push.

Where did all the Kurokiba Ryou hate come from. His firey personality is great as his one where he cares little for things, and he had such a huge sword in that AU even.
soma012-thumb-400x635-3069.jpg

People only remember her because they are pervs and tosh draws her with implausibly huge cans. The author never ended up doing anything terribly interesting with her (so far). It seemed like there would be more development at her entire branch family being perceived as inferior to Erina, but for the most part it seems like she doesn't care.
If people only cared about huge breasts then Erina wouldn't be universally recognized as trash.

I'm pleasantly pleased to see that since the time I've been away, you guys have ditched the monotonous Soma waifu discussion for the superior husbandos.

LeleSocho

Banned
Bronze Soma?

you mean spice dude?

if you want to compare similarities..... which is really a few if any, the only similarities he has to anyone is his sense of smelling being comparable to Erina's taste buds

Everyone is Soma.
Erina = Female Soma
Alice = Cousin Soma
Nikumi = Bronze Female Soma
Aldini brothers = Soma Brothers (Fat Soma and Blonde Soma)
Tadokoro = Countrygirl Soma
etc. etc.

Arabesque

Looking at the one shots for the upcoming new series, it makes me wonder if the next round of Jump Start in ESJ will either be skipped or will be the first time no series ends up getting picked up.

Then again they did publish E-robot and Gakkuy Hotei so I suppose it'll be fine?

Dark Soma is just a fun nickname, not something I seriously want to push.

That's perfectly fine. Like I said, I don't mind having silly nicknames for the characters, but my argument was that Soma and Kurokiba's aren't similar to the extent you were arguing. They can be called whatever anyone likes.

Yes, really. I'll admit, that I was pretty vague with my comparisons, but i'm going to clarify them. To wit; they both come from a similar background of working in restaurants at a young age. Unlike most of the students, they're experienced with being on the battlefield.

But so did Takumi and Miyoko. Are they meant to also be foils to Soma (Italian Soma and Chinese Genderbent Soma?), or just a way to show how wrong Soma was during his speech?

Coming from a background where you had real life cooking experience in this manga only gives you an edge in certain situations, but it doesn't mean it makes all of them relate to each other's circumstances.

The difference you mentioned only highlights the fact that they're foils. Soma was in a loving environment where there was no real penalty to losing, whereas Ryou was in an abusive one where failure meant getting fired (and starving? it's implied he's an orphan).

That would be a way in which they mirror each other, I'd agree.

Except the way their story end up makes that interpretation limited to where they grew up, and not how they developed since.

Soma eventually grew complacent and was content just staying in his father's kitchen, inhering their family restaurant and never expanding on his cooking. His father had to shut the restaurant down just in order to get him to realise he needed to discover what is his own cooking, and not follow in his father's foot steps.

Kurokiba's on the other hand took over the restaurant forcibly because the harsh conditions had forced him to either do so or end up on the street. After that, he meet Alice and she end up becoming his rival (and more?) over the years to the point where he left his restaurant to follow her.

It's the same with both how the reason why Miyoko left her restaurant and Takumi came to Totsuki being for different reasons and motivations. It how all the students are aiming to be the top chef, but each one independent of each other and for their goals.

The bandana / headband parallel is pretty blatant. Hell, they both tie their headbands on their wrist and immediately use them in a serious cooking match. Ryou going berserker doesn't preclude this from being a parallel. This one should go without saying.

Fair enough. It's the only piece of attire they share that might even come close to being similar, but yeah.

I didn't say that. I said they both have an insatiable (hunger) desire to win, and losing upsets them greatly. I mean, everyone wants to win and nobody wants to lose, but it's much more pronounced with both of those characters.

Thing is, those 2 losses are framed differently.

Soma's loss against Shinomiya was something he was upset about in private as being the first time he lost to anyone other than his father. It wasn't a direct loss like with Hayama, but he still felt bitter he wasn't able to come close to Shinomiya's dish. He didn't go out in public and scream in everyone's face about it either.

Kurokiba's loss on the other hand was closer to being a comedic scene than anything. He was furious that he lost, but at the same time when you compare it to how Hayama bested him in the preliminaries, you see that is something that Kurokiba cares about depending in which mode he is in.

If anything, Kurokiba's 200 losses against Alice compared with Soma's 500 losses againest his father would be the best indication why the two aren't similar despite the surface resemblances between the two. In Kurokiba's case, it was from the view that he finally found a rival he can contend with on even ground, while with Soma it was a figure he needed to defeat in order to accomplish his goal.

I guess I will read this someday

You should !

Twenty minutes into the future Japan, one social media service has overtaken all the rest : Real Account. It is like Facebook X Twitter X Snapchat X Video Games X Everything. It is even officially sanctionned by the government, so everyone in Japan has an account and uses it. Think Summer Wars, Eden of the East or Watch;Dogs levels of integration into daily lives.
Our protagonist, Kashiwagi Ataru, a typical NeoGAF user Japanese high school student, has no social life outside of Real Account. To the point he has loads of follower and is ranked nationally on of the proeminent freemium games.

One day, the ten thousand most popular users' minds of the social network are mysteriously taken away into Real Account's cyberspace, leaving their physical body behind. There, the local mascot, Marble, announces a survival game between all ten thousand participants, which is transmitted to all the country. And the audience can interact, like any social media would allow.

The catch ? If you die in Real Account, you die in the real world. And so do your followers.

So, why is Real Account great ? For several reasons :
- It is basically Dangan Ronpa with Social media, with some Battle Royale and Sword Art Online mixed in for good measure.
- The manga exploits every negative and dark side of today's social media in order to make awesomely designed and cruel survival games. For example the first game
is a free-for-all : for 10 minutes, everyone in Real Account and in the real world can follow or unfollow people, the twist being if you have 0 followers, you die. So amongst the 1500 people following it, who loves you enough to put their lives on the line for you ? Also, you can use your phone to call people and convince them to not unfollow you
. Every game is like this, there is
one game based on being self-centered on your physical image, one game based on being an attention whore, one game based on bumping and regretting very old status, one game based on your photos and other kinky shit, etc.
- Mindgames to win the games, for every games.
- The main characters are likeable.
- TWISTS
- While not being as awesome, Marble is a cool Monokuma-wannabe baddie.
- Multiple points of view of the story.
- The artstyle is serviceable.
- There is some light smut. (emphasis on light)
- It made fun of Fuuka :
1q6H9lp.png

I didn't get to reference, even after re-reading it...maybe some lost in translation joke ?

So. Read it !

Arabesque

My Hero Academia, Black Clover. Who wants to join them in the stratosphere as the new big three?
Are any of those "big"?

Okay, I concede. I didn't really want this to become a drawn out argument, but I guess I didn't do myself any favors with the words I used, heh.

Hey, it's cool. Having an actual discussion about the characters in Soma and how they relate to each other is honestly better than who's waifu is better to be honest. Not that I wanted to make it a full on out argument either lol.

And it's not like I was saying you cant have fun nicknames for the characters.

Arabesque

Big enough to not get cancelled immediately in Jump.

Lowered expectations~

By that criteria, Isobe Isobee must be a smashing success since it will never get cancelled.

Who are we kidding, nothing is too big to be cancelled in Jump. its just a matter of time and everything will be axed in the end.

Rainy

Banned
Think I might start reading the Shokugeki no Soma, saw the second episode and liked it. Too impatient to wait for more episodes!

360pages

I'm waiting for the ultimate troll where One Piece isn't a physical treasure, but the treasure you found by adventuring with your friend and crew around the WORLD.

I'm waiting for the ultimate troll where One Piece isn't a physical treasure, but the treasure you found by adventuring with your friend and crew around the WORLD.

Momoko Sakura (of Chibi Maruko-chan) wondered exactly that when they talked to each other

Oda: Yes, I already decided on how it’s going to end. Should I tell you now?

Sakura: …. Well, I want to know, but I probably shouldn’t. BUT, the One Piece, it’s not something like “the growth your heart went through”, right?

Oda: Hahaha, no no, I won’t be pulling off some kind of Wizard of Oz thing like that. After having gone through an adventure like that, it wouldn’t be fair to not actually give them a reward.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Real Account 18 - omake

This manga is amazing.

Let it be known that the scenario writer for this chapter is MangaGAF favorite author, Seo Kouji

You should !

- It made fun of Fuuka :
1q6H9lp.png

I didn't get to reference, even after re-reading it...maybe some lost in translation joke ?

So. Read it !

The joke is
Real Account spoiled a certain character dead

Stretch 34

My lady stretching.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Which will end first: One Piece, Bleach or Kochikame?

One Piece has more than 10 years in it knowing how Oda writes his stories lol, he keeps on adding stuff in between. He's had the ending set out ever since he's started one piece in the 90's. Never heard of Kochikame and Bleach won't end, it'll die a horrible death at the hands of Kubo. He will alienate every single person in the fanbase, I guarantee it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom