• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jitsu Wa Watashi

my favorite part was the principal enjoying herself during all the building ordeals and more than happy to go be a tattle tale at the end of it all

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, you see, she's only acts aloof because she's nervous around other people. Fortunately, her heart was melted online by Yuu the Twitter Casanova.

That's a way of dancing around saying she's just a wish fulfillment fantasy character.

Quixzlizx

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 78

S3jfe4Z.png

I Thought It’d Be Tropical Paradise, But It Turned Out To Be Akane Hell

wonzo

Banned
Sangokushi v18-19

The relatively young Sun Ce could've had it all but he simply had to piss it all away by acting like a massive fedora. I haven't seen such a massive waste of potential since a gathering of marketing graduates.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Ken giving the go ahead for Mother/Son incest jokes

The floodgates have been opened.

There is no stopping it.

"I love my weird adoptive mom in a completely normal, non-romantic way."

*Everyone blushes madly*

Checks out.

Usobuko

Banned
Jitsu Wa Watashi

my favorite part was the principal enjoying herself during all the building ordeals and more than happy to go be a tattle tale at the end of it all

Sorry for the irrelevant quote but I was thinking you might like Kengan Asura. It's a blend between Baki and Aiki with several build up moments and side characters.

Quixzlizx

Fuuka 59

lol, what is this shit? This chapter read like the first chapter of a manga where the protagonist gets scammed and ends up 1 billion yen in debt to an evil businesswoman for the rest of the series.
And by that, I mean Velvet Kiss.

Fuuka 60

Sara's reactions this chapter would've been really cute if they were a couple. But it's just sad instead.

Noragami Vol.04

j83NVKSl.jpg

Now that we are finally done with the Yukine arc, it was pretty good to see the growth he has gain.

But I think the more interesting part is the relationship of shinki and humans, how shinkis are the ones left behind as humans grow. That tying in with Bishamon's family is really making this an interesting arc.

Angry Grimace

Yamada

I have no idea what is going on

Shiraishi hasn't shown up in like 50 chapters

Despair!

Yamada and the Seven has put me in despair!

Dresden

Say what you want about Miura but he's put in decades of effort on Berserk. The Breaker dudes are a joke; just end the goddamn thing if they don't want to continue working on it.

360pages

Hmm, well it's is good to take a break once in awhile if you want to work on other things. It sounds like they are just burnt out on it, which make sense since counting the first part it's over 300 chapters long.

I enjoy The Breaker & New Waves, but my problem with NWs is that the same story essentially betrayed its own premise, and was a 200 chapters prologue to what New Waves should've been in the first place.

I mean, remember the beginning of NW? There were many story hints towards new generation, younger Murim-ni members, Jinie, etc.

Practically almost all of that got discarded, and went full-on SUC, and every 50 chapters or so we'll be seeing nameless mooks of these so-called 'new generation' who's only there to remind us that the story was supposed to involve them.

I mean, just look at where we're at with the end of New Waves.

1. Shiwoon finally letting go of NAD's shadow.
2. Shiwoon healed, affirmed with conviction, to learn and improve his martial arts in proper.
3. New Generations entering the stage.
4. Tournament Arc SOOOOOOOOON.

If you told 180 chapters ago that we're only getting to this point by the end of New Waves, and that New Waves was going to be a prologue to New Waves... well, I would've believed you, but I really wouldn't want to.

360pages

I enjoy The Breaker & New Waves, but my problem with NWs is that the same story essentially betrayed its own premise, and was a 200 chapters prologue to what New Waves should've been in the first place.

I mean, remember the beginning of NW? There were many story hints towards new generation, younger Murim-ni members, Jinie, etc.

Practically almost all of that got discarded, and went full-on SUC, and every 50 chapters or so we'll be seeing nameless mooks of these so-called 'new generation' who's only there to remind us that the story was supposed to involve them.

I mean, just look at where we're at with the end of New Waves.

1. Shiwoon finally letting go of NAD's shadow.
2. Shiwoon healed, affirmed with conviction, to learn and improve his martial arts in proper.
3. New Generations entering the stage.
4. Tournament Arc SOOOOOOOOON.

If you told 180 chapters ago that we're only getting to this point by the end of New Waves, and that New Waves was going to be a prologue to New Waves... well, I would've believed you, but I really wouldn't want to.

It doesn't help that both parts start off dreadfully slow. Shiwoon's recovery arc took way too long

It doesn't help that both parts start off dreadfully slow. Shiwoon's recovery arc took way too long

This.

The series was trying way too hard for Shiwoon's recovery to not be some "omg plot device heals the unsalvageable", by constantly hammering the fact that it couldn't be healed that it wasted too much time on unnecessary shit.

Dude, if you're going to heal him, just bloody do it.

Usobuko

Banned
Read the breaker and some 150+ chapters of New Waves. I would rather t/hey work on something else, the art deserves a better story.

360pages

i think the breaking point for me in NW was when it turned out that 9AD's gf wasn't actually dead

No, but that was the best part though...

It's actually hilarious when you think about it considering her death actually moved the plot forward a hell of a lot.

Plus the recovery arc made so that Shiwoon's growth was stunted since he really couldn't learn much since he couldn't do anything.

Honestly the recover should have taken 20 chapters max

i think the breaking point for me in NW was when it turned out that 9AD's gf wasn't actually dead

My facepalm moment in NW was when NAD was revealed to have been taking 'painful memory suppressing drugs' which was why he didn't even remember Shiwoon at all until they actually met face-to-face and he got snapped out of it.

Honestly the recover should have taken 20 chapters max

The recovery arc should've been merged with the island arc, so that we got one combined "Shiwoon died, and evolved into super-human!" arc, instead of like three separate story arcs where the main purpose was about his recovery.

wonzo

Banned
My facepalm moment in NW was when NAD was revealed to have been taking 'painful memory suppressing drugs' which was why he didn't even remember Shiwoon at all until they actually met face-to-face and he got snapped out of it.
lmfao, glad i stop reading the series before that happened

kasane

Say what you want about Miura but he's put in decades of effort on Berserk. The Breaker dudes are a joke; just end the goddamn thing if they don't want to continue working on it.

from decent tier to god-tier art

idolm@ster might be keeping his attention but its undeniable that he created a great universe for his characters ;__;

we're never going to read the ending. ;|

lmfao, glad i stop reading the series before that happened

I always like to think/rationalise/imagine in my mind what the authors were thinking when they do stuff like that :

"Man, I really amped up NAD's evil-factor in the early few chapters of NW, making him don't care about Shiwoon at all, and does evil shit without blinking an eye. I regret my decision!"
"But dude, we already published that! For NAD to suddenly be concerned and care about Shiwoon again and make him closer to how he was at the end of the first story, that would be an obvious retcon!"
"... What if we gave him drugs that made him forget about Shiwoon? We'll explain that he took it to supress sad memories!"
"GENIUS!"

Arabesque

To be perfectly fair, the guys had been working on The Breaker (including New Waves) for nearly a decade now nonstop. They clearly want to continue with the series, but they want to do other things as well before they do so.

I mean, what if Part 3 took another 5 years to conclude? What if there is a Part 4? Are they going to spend 15~20 years working on this series before they move on to something else?

Hmm, well it's is good to take a break once in awhile if you want to work on other things. It sounds like they are just burnt out on it, which make sense since counting the first part it's over 300 chapters long.

That does sound like it, plus they seem to want to try and explore other themes before coming back to The Breaker.

Not that I disagree with you (I think New Waves in particular suffers from a lot of pacing problems and could've been more tightly told) but I think that the plot focusing so heavily on the SUC was a necessity instory in order to shake up the Alliance and force them to acknowledge and trust the "new generation" power.

Now this could've been told far better had it not also been entangled with the over completed plot of Shioon trying to discover somway to restore his Ki centre, which involved him running across 3 different side plots (and in turn devolved into further side plots) that the main plot of how the threat of the SUC forcing the new generation to take centre stage was delayed.

I think that the story that we ended up reading was good (in particular since it illustrated the generational divide plus the shift in power and responsibility well enough when it did) but it is disappointing to think that the new generation wouldn't be truly be permitted to truly shine until the 3rd arc in this story. but I suppose this isn't really a story about how the Old Guard finally decides to let the new generation take over so much as it is the continuous rise and fall (and rise) of Shioon and how "OMG how awesome he really is guys!" everyone learns in the end.

Arabesque

My facepalm moment in NW was when NAD was revealed to have been taking 'painful memory suppressing drugs' which was why he didn't even remember Shiwoon at all until they actually met face-to-face and he got snapped out of it

While those were bad, I don't think they compare with "Shioon decides to go back to school in order to draw the SUC out and faces his old bully for one climatic final match!" plot.

God that was stupid.

360pages

To be fair, the Bully character is another character that overstayed his welcome. Honestly I was hoping someone would kill him or beat him so badly he was permanently in the hospital or something so we could be done with him.

Arabesque

To be fair, the Bully character is another character that overstayed his welcome. Honestly I was hoping someone would kill him or beat him so badly he was permanently in the hospital or something so we could be done with him.

I still don't understand why he was brought back after getting his ass handed to him back in Part 1.

I mean, Shioon had already beaten him once before, and the whole "Shioon is the sort of mana who would think of his opponents wellbeing before himself" was something that was well established before and after that fight.

The very definition of a filler fight.

dani_dc

Fuuka

No, you dipshit don't sign a fucken contract without reading FFS. Of course, the fact that she did something evil like 2 pages later probably means its some kind of Seo manga bullshit where she's just testing them or some dumb shit.

This reactions are the other half of my enjoying of Seo mangas.

Fuuka 59

lol, what is this shit? This chapter read like the first chapter of a manga where the protagonist gets scammed and ends up 1 billion yen in debt to an evil businesswoman for the rest of the series.
And by that, I mean Velvet Kiss.

Fuuka 60

Sara's reactions this chapter would've been really cute if they were a couple. But it's just sad instead.

The best thing is that Yuu just had an arc about "evil adults" and then immediately jumps into a contract with an adult he doesn't know.

I'll try to, if there's any negative side of having gotten an internship is that I have way less time to check random titles people mention in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom