• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTY| Creatively Bankrupt

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-Gray Man is one the most unique series from Jump that I've read. The way the author expresses dark moments is quite different than other series I've read from Jump. I don't know if the mid 19th century setting was the primary reason for this emotional response but I believe it has to do with her gothic and Lovecraftian artstyle. Plus the characters actually have me care for them every time they went through a hard obstacle as opposed to a series like Naruto or Bleach, where their characters didn't give me an incentive to care about them. Also the enemies she drew always looked threatening in some way.

Agreed. The expression of the dark side of D.Gray-Man in many of its things, be it the very concept of the Akuma, how they're created, designed, all the way to the dark seeds and politics within the Exorcist Order themselves, always had a sense of malevolence that other shonen series's 'dark tones' had.

I really hope Hoshino gets better and can at least give DGM the closure it deserves.

And I want to see Allen x Lenalee be real, damnit. /shipper

Nisekoi 169
2Uok34M.png
Marika confirmed as DR2's mastermind. RIP Raku.

Meanwhile, death flags flap feebly in the light breeze. Romcoms are pretty consistent at not killing off their
best
characters, and I don't think Komi wants Y-san's blood on his hands either.

Agreed. The expression of the dark side of D.Gray-Man in many of its things, be it the very concept of the Akuma, how they're created, designed, all the way to the dark seeds and politics within the Exorcist Order themselves, always had a sense of malevolence that other shonen series's 'dark tones' had.

I really hope Hoshino gets better and can at least give DGM the closure it deserves.

Your a Allen x Lenalee shipper, amen brother you have great taste. This is one the many things I want to happen in this series. They really have great chemistry.

Also how do you feel about the character designs in D-Gray Man?

rrc1594

Nisekoi 169

Marika confirmed as DR2's mastermind. RIP Raku.

Meanwhile, death flags flap feebly in the light breeze. Romcoms are pretty consistent at not killing off their
best
characters, and I don't think Komi wants Y-san's blood on his hands either.

Komi don't have the heart to pull the trigger

Arabesque

Can Komi stop pretending that he would ever kill off a character? Marika's supposed time limit is irrelevant because even if she is doomed she wouldn't die during the events of the series

Yeah, I mean look at what happened with Ruri's grandfath---

oh

(Marika having poor health was something that Komi had been hinting and pointing out for a while now, between Mikagi's visit and the hints pointing more towards her being the promised girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she does end up dying at some point or becomes incapacitated to the point where she is in a life threatening state)

It's always been real, there is nothing more to see /delusional

Boku no Hero Academia 1-41

I've seen enough talk about this to finally give it a shot and I've got to say I'm thoroughly impressed by the story, universe and characters. I'm not gonna go into a bunch of detail here I just gotta say I'm having a lot of fun reading this manga.

As for the most recent chapters, I've got to say Izuku losing to Shouto was the only sensible way for that fight to end story wise and towards Midoriya's growth as a hero. Not to mention the difference between their powers is just simply too immense for Izuku to pull off without it looking like the highest level of bullshit once Shouto went full power and Midoriya is killing himself each time he uses his.

Yeah, I mean look at what happened with Ruri's grandfath---

oh

(Marika having poor health was something that Komi had been hinting and pointing out for a while now, between Mikagi's visit and the hints pointing more towards her being the promised girl. I wouldn't be surprised if she does end up dying at some point or becomes incapacitated to the point where she is in a life threatening state)

It's always been real, there is nothing more to see /delusional

Y-san is gonna go mad if that were to occur.

Also how do you feel about the character designs in D-Gray Man?

The one thing I don't like about D-Gray Man designs is that they're almost too pretty. /jk

Design-wise, I really love the Ayami Kojima/Castlevania tones to her overall aesthetic. Excellent use of contrast all-around, amazing ability to make a very heavy black/white design stand-out in a black/white manga. I feel like the first Lvl 3 Akuma was the first time that I was legitimately wow-ed by her design aesthetic in just design, and colour design.

When it comes to characters, I find it difficult to describe it as anything other than... "pretty." She's great at a diverse cast of many ages, looks, etc, but I feel like across the board, for everyone, there's a touch of 'prettiness' that I get from otome-games, or josei manga.

Deathco 1
Lighthearted murderthon about a guild of assassins with a fixation for Halloween costumes. Combines traits from a gritty seinen gangland tale and a zany horror film, with amusing and oddly stylish consequences. Though I may be biased because of the super spooky outfits. Will definitely follow.

Arabesque

Y-san is gonna go mad if that were to occur.

In order to reach true divinity, one must first pass away from this world.

Once Marika dies, Y-san can stop destroying his hand and just pray to the Great Marika in the sky.

When it comes to characters, I find it difficult to describe it as anything other than... "pretty." She's great at a diverse cast of many ages, looks, etc, but I feel like across the board, for everyone, there's a touch of 'prettiness' that I get from otome-games, or josei manga.

I can see this the last time she came back and switched to Jump SQ. the designs were more bishonen than ever sadly but I suspect it might have been the easiest for her to draw at the time.

I hope the new art style when she returns to the magazine goes to a more goth-punk/Tim Burton-esq like she had back in the Level 4 (and earlier D Gray Man) arc.

In order to reach true divinity, one must first pass away from this world.

Once Marika dies, Y-san can stop destroying his hand and just pray to the Great Marika in the sky.

Honestly even though Y-San goes a bit too far I can see why he likes Marika so much. I mean if you compare her to the rest of the cast she's far superior in terms of personality and action. Chitoge and Onodera pale in comparison when one just has a terrible personality and the other is just boring and worthless. At this point I'd be happy if the Author made a spinoff about Marika.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are we finally gonna find out what's wrong with Tachibana?

Its been fucking forever and they're just now getting to this shit

Arabesque

Honestly even though Y-San goes a bit too far I can see why he likes Marika so much. I mean if you compare her to the rest of the cast she's far superior in terms of personality and action. Chitoge and Onodera pale in comparison when one just has a terrible personality and the other is just boring and worthless.

Personally, there isn't a character I dislike in Nisekoi. It's sort the thing that kept me coming to the manga Komi keeps on creating because he is so great at not only creating fascinating worlds and settings, but also in how make his central cast likeable and funny (much like in his older On Shots and Double Arts).

But yeah, Marika is a cut above the competition when compared to every other girl who is head-over-heels over Raku (Ruri doesn't count because she is immune to his harem BS power). I really love how insane she is over her determination to get Raku to get to fall in love with her, and it it played at such an extreme degree that the only reaction is to laugh. She is a rare type in romcom of someone who sees what they want and does everything in their power (and beyond) to get it.

I can understand why Y-san works so hard to vote for her, but I wish he'd have mercy on that poor hand of his. Walking on thorns to prove your devotion isn't healthy.

At this point I'd be happy if the Author made a spinoff about Marika.

Considering the current spin off about Onodera in Jump +, I think they are just waiting till the third year to announce the Marika spin off
as a way to appease her fans over her death

dani_dc

Dowman was the push Nintendo was missing to make Splatoon a success.
Are we finally gonna find out what's wrong with Tachibana?

Its been fucking forever and they're just now getting to this shit
I really doubt it, it is plot related information after all, better to keep it ambiguous as possible while the series ending is nowhere on sight.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Shokugeki no Soma

Seems like we're gonna finally see the Elite 10. And we got that HUGE revelation this chapter that the cutesy fliers announcing events at Totsuki are being designed by Headmaster Nakiri
KuGsj.gif

Dowman was the push Nintendo was missing to make Splatoon a success.

I really doubt it, it is plot related information after all, better to keep it ambiguous as possible while the series ending is nowhere on sight.

Here's how it goes down: Honda is like "Marika has always been frail, and her doctors said she wouldn't make this long." That's it. That's all you'll hear and it will never actually be of any consequence beyond being acknowledged in the penultimate arc of the manga (which could be next year or 10 years from now).

dani_dc

Nisekoi 169

Marika abducting Raku was amazing and all the more reason why she's up there.

Here's how it goes down: Honda is like "Marika has always been frail, and her doctors said she wouldn't make this long." That's it. That's all you'll hear and it will never actually be of any consequence beyond being acknowledged in the penultimate arc of the manga (which could be next year or 10 years from now).

Yeah, I just don't see much motivation for the Komi to reveal anything at this point, the audience seems fine with small hints of nothingness.

Marika was secretly a trained police agent whose mission is to infiltrate one organised crime unit, and her time around Raku and co. was training for her to acclimatize with how other crime organisations work. /s

Quixzlizx

Nana to Karou 130

Nana is so thirsty. I don't know why she won't just admit it to him. It makes sense that Kaoru doesn't think he's good enough for the goddess/idol of his school, but I don't know what her excuse is.

Honestly even though Y-San goes a bit too far I can see why he likes Marika so much. I mean if you compare her to the rest of the cast she's far superior in terms of personality and action. Chitoge and Onodera pale in comparison when one just has a terrible personality and the other is just boring and worthless. At this point I'd be happy if the Author made a spinoff about Marika.

I dropped Nisekoi around 10 chapters ago, but I would instantly be in for a Marika spinoff. Fuck that loser she's currently wasting her time on.

okay you guys are pushing it with this soma hype

he doesn't look that good

No I was actually asking that question to see if people actually believed that. I mean my personal choice is Allen Walker from D-Gray Man being the best looking male lead Jump has had. He has all the good qualities of being the best looking.

Soma is probably in the top 10 though.

No I was actually asking that question to see if people actually believed that. I mean my personal choice is Allen Walker from D-Gray Man being the best looking male lead Jump has had. He has all the good qualities of being the best looking.

Soma is probably in the top 10 though.

ah okay

it is opinionated but I just was surprised that maybe some of you people thought he was the best looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom