• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm nearly triple-posting here so sorry but I'm pretty disappointed that the annual Steven Alan sample sale is all online instead of in-store. Can't imagine all the flyover state plebs who are gonna cop my shirts in my sizes. :(

Don't worry, I'll put them on the classififeds for a decent price ;)

And will be almost as expensive as mainline margiela on eBay.

I don't see the point of this unless I can get disco trousers on the cheap.

True, I stopped caring long ago, but I'm married and stuff.

I'll probably try to get something since the area where I'm going to school has a lot of H&Ms. I like the Opening Ceremony X Adidas collection a lot too.

Maybe you guys just shouldn't worry what people think. I mean, being gay isn't a bad thing as far as I know.

Its not said as an insult, atleast as far as I know.. it just seems to be implied that if you know slightly more than nothing about fashion or how to dress you are "acting Gay" because apparently only Gay men know how to dress which is some bullshit stereotype.

I was just curious if other people that posted in here got the same kind of comments from time to time.

Its not said as an insult, atleast as far as I know.. it just seems to be implied that if you know slightly more than nothing about fashion or how to dress you are "acting Gay" because apparently only Gay men know how to dress which is some bullshit stereotype.

I was just curious if other people that posted in here got the same kind of comments from time to time.

I take my grooming and clothing pretty seriously and often wear purple/pink dress shirts or oxfords and no one has ever assumed I was gay. I guess I'm just so macho it doesn't matter what I do.

I take my grooming and clothing pretty seriously and often wear purple/pink dress shirts or oxfords and no one has ever assumed I was gay. I guess I'm just so macho it doesn't matter what I do.

w2ZkX.gif

Magnus

GAF, I'd never really bought a suit before, much less had one tailored. A friend helped me do both recently, but this tailored job just isn't sitting right. Being a novice, I smiled and nodded as a whole host of adjustments were being made by this 'master tailor', from hemming, to taking the jacket in, to shortening the sleeves a bit, to tucking in the butt, etc. to the tune of $120! I assume that's a lot, it's a lot to me.

After returning twice to see that further adjustments were needed, I thought I was happy with it and finally took the suit home. Wore it to a wedding this weekend and man, the jacket's just too tight, been taken in too much, to the point that people remarked on it (nice suit they said, but it looks tight - and feels it).

How does tailoring work? It's been less than a week; should i be able to take it back for further alterations at no extra cost? Can a jacket being taken in be reversed or is the stiching permanent?

I fucking hate formal wear. I can't believe I paid so much for personalized tailoring and the shit still doesn't even fit right. What a hassle.

Any and all advice welcome.

Anyone? Please help a fashion neophyte out. :(

I have a bunch as well, and i just tell people its not purple its "Manly Lavendar". Seems to ensure there is no confusion, though I have yet to get a GF so i guess i cant be sure.....

*usually* you can get a coat waist taken out a bit, so if it's just a little too snug it should be fixable. is it snug everywhere or just in the places adjusted?

can you post pics? it will help in the long run. formal stuff isn't hard once you nail down what you want, it's a short learning curve but kind of a steep one.

I cant tell you with 100% certainty, but you should be able to easily let the jacket out (usually taking a jacket in doesnt actually remove any fabric) and I would think it would be at no extra cost seeing as its not right yet (I guess depends on the store though).

hey Manshion-GAF. I'm looking to buy a pair of chukkas/desert boots for the first time.

Was thinking something like these http://www.zappos.com/clarks-desert-boot-taupe-distressed-suede?zfcTest=fw:1

Yes/no?

Would also appreciate some tips on which color/material to get them in, I'm leaning toward the taupe or oakwood suede, or the olive or beeswax leather.
Yeah, you can't really miss on the Clark's desert boots. I'll probably be picking these up this weekend actually.

Really hard to tell what your suit needs without pictures. If you have any you could post I'm sure we could help you out.

From what I've heard, most tailors are capable of taking out the coat waist but it's generally advised against. I've never had to do it myself though.

Kind of an odd question (and born pretty much out of just never looking), but is it possible to find vests on their own (im talking like fancier ones for a 3 piece suit)? I have never really looked and I would love to pick up a couple to pair with some older suits.

Also, what is the consensus on length of a vest to go with a suit? I was told it shouldn't really pass the belt (kind of like tie length), but I'm not a fan of seeing the shirt when there is a gap if i don't have the jacket on.

zam

Can't really go wrong with Clarks as they're the standard... I'm wearing a beeswaxed pair right now (with these laces since the default Clarks laces are a little boring).

Also, Lands End Canvas is having a 60% off footwear sale until tomorrow and you could cop a pair of their chukkas on the cheap: http://canvas.landsend.com/canvas/index.html
Ooh, thanks for the tip on Lands End, 38 bucks is a steal, gonna grab me a pair of those in dark chocolate asap.

Do you guys have any suggestions for casual shoes that look good on a size 12-13? Converse look too clownish, Vans are good but I got enough of them, and Tom's don't look very good if you ask me. I like something that has a good form-fitting minimal design.

freshair

Do you guys have any suggestions for casual shoes that look good on a size 12-13? Converse look too clownish, Vans are good but I got enough of them, and Tom's don't look very good if you ask me. I like something that has a good form-fitting minimal design.

Clarks desert boot?

Magnus

Thanks for all the replies guys. My problem isn't really that I'm worried anymore about taking the jacket out.

My concern is, is it standard practice for me to be able to take the jacket that I've determined doesn't fit well, and have them continue to work on it at no extra cost? I picked it up last week, and only finally wore to an event this past weekend. I guess it took one night of wearing it to realize it's too tight, and I'd like to take it back.

Just not sure what's customary.

what kind of casual are you looking for? are you looking for a sneaker/tennis shoe or like some suede bucks?

i don't think all toms are bad looking. have you tried on a pair of cordones?

_6637355.jpg

adidas campus 2s are pretty classic sneakers:
adidas-mens-campus-2-shoes-19440.jpg

zchen

Thanks for all the replies guys. My problem isn't really that I'm worried anymore about taking the jacket out.

My concern is, is it standard practice for me to be able to take the jacket that I've determined doesn't fit well, and have them continue to work on it at no extra cost? I picked it up last week, and only finally wore to an event this past weekend. I guess it took one night of wearing it to realize it's too tight, and I'd like to take it back.

Just not sure what's customary.

That depends on your tailor's policies, just call up and ask. My local one has a date range for satisfaction guarantee, but I don't recall the exact number of days. Whether they redo for free or not may also depend on if the original alterations were decided by you or them.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
what kind of casual are you looking for? are you looking for a sneaker/tennis shoe or like some suede bucks?

adidas campus 2s are pretty classic sneakers:
adidas-mens-campus-2-shoes-19440.jpg

Those are some nice sneakers

Clarks desert boot?

Already got Clarks

_6637355.jpg

I got a pair of Tom's that happen to be cordones but in black waxed twill. I think that was a mistake, the lighter gray ones seem to look better.

As an example of what I'm looking for here is a picture, too bad the insignia completely kills it for me. But it's very light, streamlined, pointed tip, and minimal.

shoes_iaec1287318.jpg

So I have this one shirt from express that was, for whatever reason, a little bit smaller than all the others. I've also been working out recently so that I'm a good bit broader in the chest. The end result is that I can't do up any buttons across the chest anymore without the fabric stretching way the hell out and making me look like Chris Farley in a little coat.

But I tried it on over a red H&M v-neck I was wearing and I thought the end result looked interesting, if not all that appealing. I wanted to share to see what other people thought about the colored undershirt.

My apologies for the bathroom shot, it was late and the lighting in this apartment is lousy in front of the other mirrors.
83Ofw.jpg

Boken

Banned
Makes me think of superman.

Like you're about to tear back your shirt and reveal a stunning super hero outfit

actually maybe youre spiderman now

I got a pair of Tom's that happen to be cordones but in black waxed twill. I think that was a mistake, the lighter gray ones seem to look better.

heh, i was the exact opposite. i wanted a pair of black waxed twill but ended up ordering the ash color pictured, and liked those more than black.

the ones you pictured, i feel like you can cop a cheap pair at like h&m or urban outfitters. im not sure of what high end brands offer up a shoe like that.

Magnus

That depends on your tailor's policies, just call up and ask. My local one has a date range for satisfaction guarantee, but I don't recall the exact number of days. Whether they redo for free or not may also depend on if the original alterations were decided by you or them.

Thanks

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Gap khakis just might be the most easily wrinkled article of clothing ever. I love the way they fit, but I can iron them and by time I get to work they look wrinkled.

Do they sell products to remove wrinkles or make pants more anti-wrinkle? Do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom