• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: I'll try and be less of a dick and more constructive with my help. A velvet jacket like that doesn't have much flexibility. I'd say if you were going to get one get it in black or a dark blue and only wear it on evenings out.
Black velvet is sad. Blue, green or burgundy. I say get it and live out your Lestat fantasies.

But pls don't pair it with such tragic accessories.

Re: monkstraps, you must first decide which side of the battle you are on, one buckle or two. Only then can you proceed.

Black velvet is sad. Blue, green or burgundy. I say get it and live out your Lestat fantasies.

Re: monkstraps, you must first decide which side of the battle you are on, one buckle or two. Only then can you proceed.
Personally one buckle looks weird to me, almost incomplete. Two buckle all day

Im not a monk person, though I kind of agree. I remember lots of haterade being thrown at double monks back in the day, usually cuz they're too ostentatious or ott. Which is weird, cuz your shoes have buckles in 2012, might as well go all in.

Stuck

Yeah. I'm hoping for some nice black back or side zips from attachment. Otherwise it's some reverse calf from guidu. Maybe I'll allay Macs fears and just grab some more mmm lol

At least you have nothing to fear in the summer. Too hot for black

I picked up the CPxRG side zips on sale last year and ended up returning them since I wasn't overly impressed with the quality and didn't like that middle seam. I later scored a used pair of Guidi 995s in reverse stag that are great. You probably already know this, but size up like crazy if you're looking into Guidi.

MegalonJJ

Banned

I won't pair it with those accessories. More than likely everything else will be black. (I won't get the matching trousers).

@Alucrid

Of course I'd only wear it during the evening. Also I didn't see your pre-edit post so it's all cool. (Out of interest, what did you post?)

--

Not many fans of velvet here(?)

Alucrid

Banned

two, but leave on unbuckled for ultimate #menswear

I picked up the CPxRG side zips on sale last year and ended up returning them since I wasn't overly impressed with the quality and didn't like that middle seam. I later scored a used pair of Guidi 995s in reverse stag that are great. You probably already know this, but size up like crazy if you're looking into Guidi.

Thanks for the heads up. Love the profile of the shoe but if the quality doesn't match then nah.

I won't pair it with those accessories. More than likely everything else will be black. (I won't get the matching trousers).

@Alucrid

Of course I'd only wear it during the evening. Also I didn't see your pre-edit post so it's all cool. (Out of interest, what did you post?)

--

Not many fans of velvet here(?)

I asked if you were attending hogwarts. The cane, gloves, scarf and matching pants were too much for me. Personally I'm not a huge velvet fan, but I also don't like a lot of things on the more MC side so I'm biased.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I asked if you were attending hogwarts. The cane, gloves, scarf and matching pants were too much for me. Personally I'm not a huge velvet fan, but I also don't like a lot of things on the more MC side so I'm biased.

Ah I see. I suppose I ought to have said ignore everything except the jacket.

I really like it, in dark lighting it looks almost black with a very deep/dark indigo green sheen/highlight where the light catches the creases.

What does MC mean?

EDIT: I should add that it's not a cane. It's an umbrella, and the handle features a duck's head (wood material).

Alucrid

Banned
Ah I see. I suppose I ought to have said ignore everything except the jacket.

I really like it, in dark lighting it looks almost black with a very deep/dark indigo green sheen/highlight where the light catches the creases.

What does MC mean?

EDIT: I should add that it's not a cane. It's an umbrella, and the handle features a duck's head (wood material).

Oh, gotcha. Still looks ridiculous. MC = Men's Clothing

MegalonJJ

Banned
Oh, gotcha. Still looks ridiculous. MC = Men's Clothing

Cool, cheers fella.

Here's a better photograph of the umbrella.

e3a392e11af25368cc710f9ecd14f5621b79f3f0

lenovox1

If you're looking for a fancy evening jacket and gonna go velvet, I'd go all the way and get one with a shawl collar, if possible.

You could wear that jacket with chocolate tweed pants, stark white shirt, and dark tie and that would be appropriate for a child fall day. Maybe put it with wool charcoal or navy pants, and dark paisley scarf for a more casual look. You could possibly pair dark wash jeans with it.

The trick with velvet (and other out there things) is to keep it subdued and simple everywhere else. Velvet is fine for the fall/winter.

MegalonJJ

Banned
If you're looking for a fancy evening jacket and gonna go velvet, I'd go all the way and get one with a shawl collar, if possible.

Do you have an examples of a velvet jacket with shawl collar?

@lenovox1

I agree with you, I'd like to wear it (as I posted earlier) with all black, but also with very dark browns and dark blues.

It'll look great with a black shirt or black rollneck underneath, I think.

I know they exist. I have this awesome image in my head that definitely wasn't created without reference. Whether or not you'll be able to find one is another story, but if you do let me know cause I'd wear the shit out of it.

On another note, shawl collars are awesome. I wish I had a reason to buy a shawl collar blazer other than just buying it.

I know band of outsiders made one but I don't like the shortness of their jackets. Weirdly there are a good number of velvet jackets on yoox right now.

I'm kind of digging this, speaking of shawl collars

Viktor & Rolf.

Only problem is I live in the boonies so getting a functional cuff sleeve adjusted will have to wait till I go to Seattle. :/

_Isaac

Could any of you guys suggest some leather bi-fold wallets for around $50-$100? I've been eyeing out one of these http://shop.herschelsupply.com/shop.html?cat=66&price=6,10 or http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/smallleathergoods/PRDOVR~51762/51762.jsp

I don't have any suggestions, but I do like those herschel ones. Any of those really. They are a bit on the expensive side though. All my wallets have been gifts. I don't even know how much they're supposed to cost. :eek:

Antagon

Working cuffs eh? Hopefully you are in a city or near one, cuz the average alterations shop will balk at pulling from the shoulder.

Had that as well, my tailor instead closed the buttonholes and made new ones. Don't know how he did it, as it's almost unnoticeable, did a really good job on it.

G_Berry

Banned
Going to the UK / Paris in about two months. Probably going to be cold and as I have a shaved dome, will need something fashionable to keep it toasty warm.

Any ideas? Would rather not have to wear beanies.

Salazar

Working cuffs eh? Hopefully you are in a city or near one, cuz the average alterations shop will balk at pulling from the shoulder.

I left it with them. Asked them to do what they could. Even if their solution does turn out to be somewhat crudely visible, it's not the most delicately constructed blazer in the first place.

Interim daily jacket is this Gant thing.

http://www.mrporter.com/product/174614

http://www.abload.de/img/capsbbsmr.jpg

Which is good - more substantial and rougher fabric than the store pics would lead you to believe. You'd have to live outdoors to wear it as a shirt rather than a jacket.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I must be in some crazy in-between zone for jeans. I found some nice Levi straight leg jeans and they fit well, but the waist is a bit too big (36's). Tried 34's and they were too tight. Not sure 35's exist.

You guys have any good belt recommendations for jeans? Just a plain brown? Black?

Here's my general Friday (jean day) work getup with the new stuff I bought. I like the shirt (AE, yeah I know) but it does feel a bit baggy. Hard to see here. Also are the shoes alright? Not sure what brown shoes to get to wear with jeans.

bob page

I must be in some crazy in-between zone for jeans. I found some nice Levi straight leg jeans and they fit well, but the waist is a bit too big (36's). Tried 34's and they were too tight. Not sure 35's exist.

You guys have any good belt recommendations for jeans? Just a plain brown? Black?

Here's my general Friday (jean day) work getup with the new stuff I bought. I like the shirt (AE, yeah I know) but it does feel a bit baggy. Hard to see here. Also are the shoes alright? Not sure what brown shoes to get to wear with jeans.

Get the 34's- pants break in with time and usually loosen up a bit.

As for the belt- anything usually works. I usually prefer white/beige/brown with jeans- if it's for a dressier occassion, choose leather. Otherwise, I go with canvas ones like these:

img_2366_1.jpg
img_2368_1.jpg

Nicer canvas belts usually have red/blue/walnut accents that add a bit of color.

Shoes: go with some brown/tan bucks or suede oxford/wingtip laceups. The one's you're currently wearing are kind of clunky and bad. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.valetmag.com/style/trends/2012/spring-essential-sandy-suede-oxfords-050812.php

MegalonJJ

Banned
Has anyone here had their jeans tapered slightly?

I have a pair of slim fit jeans that need to be shortened (hemmed?) a little but I'm thinking of having them tapered so that they work better with shoes (derbys, loafers, slim profile type shoes).

Is it worth it and are there any downsides or anything unsavoury as a result of altering them?

Alucrid

Banned
It's a pretty simple procedure. If you're dealing with higher end denim it might be more complicated if you're a stickler for details otherwise no

MegalonJJ

Banned
It's a pretty simple procedure. If you're dealing with higher end denim it might be more complicated if you're a stickler for details otherwise no

Details?

I would say they're mid-high end denim. Is better to have worn the jeans for a while first? Do you know if it's possible to have them shortened at the waist slightly?

GorillaJu

Felled inseams and selvedge could make it difficult but otherwise its easy.

The quality of denim doesn't matter, the seam stitching does.

Alucrid

Banned
Details?

I would say they're mid-high end denim. Is better to have worn the jeans for a while first? Do you know if it's possible to have them shortened at the waist slightly?

Selvage line, chain stitch etc. Mostly small cosmetic issues that higher end denim has. You can get the waist taken in but that's more complex than just a taper.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Selvage line, chain stitch etc. Mostly small cosmetic issues that higher end denim has. You can get the waist taken in but that's more complex than just a taper.

I see. I'll stick to just hemming and tapering. When you say cosmetic issues, are you referring to the colour of the stitch too? (I'm not sure if my jeans are hand or chain stitched).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom