• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manshion (Menswear and Mens Fashion) Thread |OT| Fashion Fades; Style is Eternal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Hey Fashion-GAF, what should I as a chunky man be wearing? I'm not overspill-obese but my waist is about 40" (and I'm 6ft tall). The problem is that going to shops is incredibly demoralising. From the pictures of skinny boys to the constant problem of not being able to find stuff in my size, it's just not fun at all (and I'm not even that big! I don't know where really fat people go...)

So what's a good kinda look for a chunky dude? Usually I'm just t-shirt and jeans/combats but I'm feeling like I need a new look, having sported this one for the best part of a decade.

oh, and in before "lose weight fatty!" :p

Desi

Boken said:
What do you guys think of chelsea boots? I was really looking for casual black shoes but at 240$ these seem a steal! Chelsea boots (especially tall ones like this) dont seem as versatile though - grunge or smart casual.
I don't like the boots you selected but I am interested in getting me a pair this season. I have three* on my lists already just have to see which ones I feel like paying for.

edit: make that two pairs.

bjscott05 said:
Ok fashion GAF. I am thinking about buying some Wayfarers in tortoise but I need to know if it is ok for men to wear them. I like black as well, but I mainly wear brown shoes and I feel tortoise might work better with those.

Any thoughts guys?
Tortoiseshell is classic, especially in Wayfarers. These are the sunglasses I wear:

x10zt.jpg

The top pair are my reading sunglasses, because I am an old man. They aren't Ray-Bans, just Wayfarer-style. The lenses are blue.

The middle pair I've had for at least 20 years, old-style Wayfarers before the redesign. I have an identical pair, but I broke them right in the middle of the nose bridge. One day I'll find a way/someone to repair them. The lenses are dark gray/green.

The bottom pair are folding Wayfarers I bought a few weeks ago. I love the darker tortoise color, which are reminiscent of the pair my father wore since the 1960's. I hate all the Ray-Ban branding on the lens and temples. The lenses are brown. You can see the slightly-opened folding line at the bridge and the arms folded back behind the lenses. Or, here:

shGvr.jpg

I also used to have a pair of black Wayfarers, but they were stolen from my unconscious face when I passed out drunk at a football game in college.

Enron

Banned
The "classic" wayfarers sit up too high and are VERY uncomfy (on my face, at least). The "new" wayfarer fit a lot better (and looked a lot better)

Enron

Banned
Jedeye Sniv said:
Hey Fashion-GAF, what should I as a chunky man be wearing? I'm not overspill-obese but my waist is about 40" (and I'm 6ft tall). The problem is that going to shops is incredibly demoralising. From the pictures of skinny boys to the constant problem of not being able to find stuff in my size, it's just not fun at all (and I'm not even that big! I don't know where really fat people go...)

So what's a good kinda look for a chunky dude? Usually I'm just t-shirt and jeans/combats but I'm feeling like I need a new look, having sported this one for the best part of a decade.

A proper men's store. Not a mall/department store. Unless you live in a city of some size, you might not have one of these. A proper men's store will be more expensive, but will have classic stuff and will actually carry things that will fit you. This is NOT the avenue to go if you wish to be trendy or fashion-forward, but if you want to look sharp and put-together more than likely they'll be able to help.

For example, J.Press in NY/CT/Boston/DC, HStockton in Atlanta, or O'Connels in Buffalo

Managed to score a suit for about 80 yesterday but the chest is about two inches too roomy. Is this something that can be fixed easily by a decent tailor?

RJNavarrete said:
Managed to score a suit for about 80 yesterday but the chest is about two inches too roomy. Is this something that can be fixed easily by a decent tailor?
If the shoulders are good you can tighten it up, yeah (probably $40-$50?). Just about any dedicated alteration shop can do it.

Enron

Banned
RJNavarrete said:

with suits, all things can be adjusted except for the shoulders. The shoulders frame the rest of the jacket, and if they are wrong the whole damn thing is wrong.

macuser1of5 said:
If the shoulders are good you can tighten it up, yeah (probably $40-$50?). Just about any dedicated alteration shop can do it.
Yea the shoulders fit fine... Stomach area is fine too. It's just the chest. I'll try to get some tailors to look at it tomorrow. Thanks guys.

SUPREME1

Banned
threenote said:
got my wallet/keychain today. It looks amazing.

6046130317_0127e632dc.jpg

(I got different reins, though).

I like that very much.

I gotta admit though that I feel really out of place in this thread. Don't really fancy some of the stuff posted, and the stuff I do like seems to be pretty pricey.

mblitek

Alright Gents you have a challenge.

I love clothes and I'm not afraid to spend. Well, within reason.

I'm 6'6" with size 15/16 feet sometimes 14 depending on fit. But I'm a modest build so XL clothes fit. My biggest problem are pants. I'm in a wheelchair so since I'm sitting down my pant legs hike up.

That said my style is well, here are some of my favourite brands:

Paul & Shark
Ralph Lauren
Robert Graham
Hugo Boss
Lacoste
etc

So sort of a reserved/prep look. So guys, if you want to help a brother out let me know!

ps I love those Alden boots!

Edit: I have a gala I'm going to on September 24th, help me wear something! Also, for shoes etc Uggs (the company) are great as they go to sz 16.

I'll post it here instead!

Guys, I don't normally come short when it comes to dressing ideas but I am almost stumped here. I've just won this Ralph Lauren blazer on eBay for $10.50, but I need to know the colour trousers.

I plan to wear the red polka dot t-shirt pictures with a skinny black tie

BUt coloured trousers? Something like these

Or

Thanks!

Minamu

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.topstreetwear.com/se/byxor

I've been thinking of buying a couple of jeans (maybe shorts too but no sweats pants) from this site for a while. It's mostly for dressing up for parties/clubs. Bit worried about it being a bit too gangstah though :lol The prices are incredible though, and I'm really tired of the same old blue jeans that don't stand out. This might be a bit much, I suppose xD

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Just went into a Nautical Store following a Tommy Hilfinger store. All of that shit looks like what lumberjacks wear on a night on the town to me.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Jedeye Sniv said:

As a fellow fat guy, my main advice is to buy shit that fits. Buying big to hide it makes it look worse.

Also, join us in weight loss GAF if you haven't already. I just bought a pair of 34-inch pants for the first time in at least 15 years (was in 40-inch at my heaviest). It's amazing how much fun clothes shopping is now.

On my phone, sorry for the double post.

Eric WK

Minamu said:
Any thoughts on this?

http://www.topstreetwear.com/se/byxor

I've been thinking of buying a couple of jeans (maybe shorts too but no sweats pants) from this site for a while. It's mostly for dressing up for parties/clubs. Bit worried about it being a bit too gangstah though :lol The prices are incredible though, and I'm really tired of the same old blue jeans that don't stand out. This might be a bit much, I suppose xD

The only item there that isn't horribly offensive and gross are the white chinos on the bottom of the page and I wouldn't even recommend them.

Seam

Banned
adamsappel said:
Tortoiseshell is classic, especially in Wayfarers. These are the sunglasses I wear:

http://i.imgur.com/x10zt.jpg[/MG]

The top pair are my reading sunglasses, because I am an old man. They aren't Ray-Bans, just Wayfarer-style. The lenses are blue.

The middle pair I've had for at least 20 years, old-style Wayfarers before the redesign. I have an identical pair, but I broke them right in the middle of the nose bridge. One day I'll find a way/someone to repair them. The lenses are dark gray/green.

The bottom pair are folding Wayfarers I bought a few weeks ago. I love the darker tortoise color, which are reminiscent of the pair my father wore since the 1960's. I hate all the Ray-Ban branding on the lens and temples. The lenses are brown. You can see the slightly-opened folding line at the bridge and the arms folded back behind the lenses. Or, here:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/shGvr.jpg[/IG]

I also used to have a pair of black Wayfarers, but they were stolen from my unconscious face when I passed out drunk at a football game in college.[/QUOTE]

I love you man <3, I was thinking about posting my rayban collection but you beat me to the seccond.

I sincirely dont like the new raybans, the one I got squeeks and feels cheap compared to the real stuff! Those old wayfere are hard to find tough, aviators are easier.

Chiave

This thread is awesome! I dress like a bum atm and my biggest problem right now are the shirts that I wear. Hope I can go shopping on labour day weekend. I really need a new wardrobe

D:

Minamu

Eric WK said:
The only item there that isn't horribly offensive and gross are the white chinos on the bottom of the page and I wouldn't even recommend them.
Haha xD Well, it is streeeetzzz after all ;) Some of their crazier stuff seem to have gone awol as well :S

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
macuser1of5 said:
cribbed from Epaulet.

Gitman makes the best novelty prints out there. So tempting.
I was considering picking one of those up. I'm still kicking myself for skipping on the Gitman camo print shirt from earlier this year when I saw it for $100. The dragonfly print one that they have out now is pretty cool too.

My most recent pickup is a pair of 70s wash Our Legacy jeans that I got for under $100. Summer's ending soon, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I'll wear them hard for the next month or so at least. Tee + Our Legacy jeanz + summer Achilles ALL DAY until I'm forced to break out the fall gear.

Next up on the cop list is the new TOJ1 varsity as soon as it drops: http://templeofjawnz.com/?p=776

Dr. Strangelove said:
I was considering picking one of those up. I'm still kicking myself for skipping on the Gitman camo print shirt from earlier this year when I saw it for $100. The dragonfly print one that they have out now is pretty cool too.
I have the ecru cheetah and a plain grey oxford so far, but I'll probably just stick to their more unusual offerings. Will probably end up getting the light stars version of that shirt at OC. As cool as the blue stars shirt is I just don't need dark shirts.

Next up on the cop list is the new TOJ1 varsity as soon as it drops: http://templeofjawnz.com/?p=776
I've been waffling on a leather from them for a long time; but this is something else.. I want a cracked pepper body and brown or black leather.

Ark

Man-fashion-GAF!

College is starting up again in a few weeks and I'm in dire need of a decent bag. My old bad is pretty much torn to crap and has found a new home in the trash. Bag needs to be comfortable to walk around in for long periods of time and space for a decent amount of books/folders, any suggestions?

Should also mention I'm in the UK and the cheaper the better at the moment.

Enron

Banned
Seam said:
I sincirely dont like the new raybans, the one I got squeeks and feels cheap compared to the real stuff! Those old wayfere are hard to find tough, aviators are easier.

Yeah. My wayfarers are cracky as hell.

mblitek

Is there a better place to buy those Alden's than their website? What's the general consensus on colour? The 403's or 405's?

GiJoccin said:
I've been looking for some nice fitting gray dress pants, i think i settled on http://www.express.com/stretch-wool...rapher/control/page/3/show/3/index.pro#jsLink

any suggestions i should check out before giving those a shot?

I hope I'm not too late because I personally hate those pants (eww polyester), but I recommend these pants by Land's End. At full price and the cost of tailoring, you will get better quality pants for around the same price as those. Hell, you can even wait for a crazy discount Land's End always seems to have before you cop.

entremet

Anyone know where I can get a good sub 200 buck navy blazer? I tried Uniqlo, but I have broad shoulders and ever the Large size felt tight on the shoulders.

Enron

Banned
entrement said:
Anyone know where I can get a good sub 200 buck navy blazer? I tried Uniqlo, but I have broad shoulders and ever the Large size felt tight on the shoulders.

Anderson-Little. All they do are blue blazers. People on askandy speak highly of them, and the owner/operator of Anderson-Little has an official thread in the askandy forums where he interacts with posters. 179 for the blazer.

Enron

Banned
Hahaha, i wouldnt say that. The depth of my knowledge is very limited. If it's something your Dad or grandfather might wear/might have worn, these are things I know. Expensive denim, slim-fit shirts, basically anything "stylish" for teenagers or 20-somethings, this is a world I know nothing of.

Enron

Banned
mblitek said:
Is there a better place to buy those Alden's than their website? What's the general consensus on colour? The 403's or 405's?

The most popular place to order Aldens from online seems to be Shoemart.

403's all the way. The 403s are the chromexcel ones. The 405s are a bit on the redder side - stick with the brown of the 403s.

If you want 403s, it might be worth it to wait for a jcrew coupon. The JCrew Indys are essentially the 403s with some different stitching, and sometimes the JCrew coupons can be applied to Aldens (usually collab merchandise is off-limits for coupon codes).

GeneralIroh said:
More slick video game clothes
Online fashion retailer Musterbrand is offering a number of items inspired by Deus Ex: Human Revolution

[/URL]
The garment silhouettes look good enough I just don't see the purpose of detail seaming/etc that doesn't do anything to the garment's drape or fit. Seems unnecessary and distracting. Granted a lot of expensive designers do the same thing so I guess I'm probably in the minority on that...

...So the call of the white suit has built up inside me... if the one i'm scoping is available in a month it will be myyynnneee. Not sure what to wear it with though, but I can figure it out later.

Anyone here ever have their dress pants hemmed/altered? I think I want to tapered with a single break, but I don't know how much that SHOULD cost and how it would really look. Can anyone help me here?

entremet

RJNavarrete said:
Anyone here ever have their dress pants hemmed/altered? I think I want to tapered with a single break, but I don't know how much that SHOULD cost and how it would really look. Can anyone help me here?
Hemming can done at most dry cleaners, usually the family owned variety. Not the big chain dry cleaners. Not too expensive--like 10-15 bucks. Tapering can vary around 20 to 30 bucks.

RJNavarrete said:
Yeah it can be done, I just caution going overboard and messing up the cut and silhouette of the pants.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
For fellow budget-conscious folks:

Macy's is selling coupons for $5 that get you 25% off pretty much everything this Saturday. The $5 goes to charity.

Visceir

Been looking for new shoes and these caught my eye:
645e09bba672d6c90739b9e8383dfaad.jpg

Thoughts? I'm usually wearing dark-blue and black jeans. Obviously I'd have to get rid of the label on he inside.

noire said:
For fellow budget-conscious folks:

Macy's is selling coupons for $5 that get you 25% off pretty much everything this Saturday. The $5 goes to charity.
What? That sounds amazing because I have been looking for a new affordable suit for work and an alfani red / dkny / calvin klein would be perfect. Where can I buy this thing?

noire

Unconfirmed Member
RJNavarrete said:
What? That sounds amazing because I have been looking for a new affordable suit for work and an alfani red / dkny / calvin klein would be perfect. Where can I buy this thing?
At any register. There's a thread about it over at SlickDeals.

It's part of Shop-for-a-Cause.
http://www.macysinc.com/shopforacause/

Pretty cool because a lot of stuff is on end-of-season clearance and I think you get 25% off of those discounted prices.

I'm hoping to grab brown and navy suits.

Doytch

RJNavarrete said:
You might also want to check the JCrew factory stuff. They've got a marled charcoal suit that I've read good things about for under $200 if you use the MUSTSHOP code for 30% off.

e: Dug out the link for ya.

Question: So I just got a couple pairs of pants from Bonobos (red washed chinos and sand cords) and they're running long, even after a 20minute run through the dryer. I got 30/32, but I'm reading that 30/30s would be the same length, only the inseam would be different. Is that right? I really like the cords, and kind of ambivalent about the chinos. I'll be returning the polo I got (small is way too big) and hemming the cords so I'm not sure whether to return the chinos too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom