• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes April 14th

RexNovis

Banned
~500k -Gap as of Jan 3rd 2015
~540k -Gap as of Jan 31st 2015
~605k -Gap as of Feb 28th 2015

*Numbers are rounded up to nearest 5k.

NPD%20CUMULATIVE_zpsgjddhbob.jpg

NPD%20Month_zps2gmuevcd.jpg

He thinks I make stuff up.... sad really.

Welp I stand corrected then. There it is. Cheers for the clarification.

edit: For the record I know you don't make things up but I saw the exchange between you and Rymuth and then didnt see a conclusion to it so I figured I'd ask.

RexNovis

Banned
It's crazy how slow this thread is. Aqua is dearly missed. She always had a knack for prompting and facilitating interesting sales discussion in these threads.

They can't do that.

Microsoft would already be doing it.

That got a hardy guffaw out of me. A+/10

Rymuth

Wait but Rymuth also said

then stated he would PM Zhuge the details. Did we ever get confirmation on whether or not 680k was accurate?

I was going off the gap number given by our dearly departed member and added the gap we extrapolated during February.

Zhuge helpfully pointed out that the numbers were actually rounded. I was off by a bit. :p

I'll remove my previous post if it's causing confusion.

RexNovis

Banned
I was going off the gap number given by our dearly departed member and added the gap we extrapolated during February.

Zhuge helpfully pointed out that the numbers were actually rounded. I was off by a bit. :p

I'll remove my previous post if it's causing confusion.

No worries. Figured it was something along those lines but I didn't see any resolution saying as much in the thread so I thought I'd ask.

Death2494

[3DS] 240K
[PS4] 350k
[WIU] 92K
[XB1] 190K

PS4 could be higher due the review of Bloodborne.

FYI: The Arkham Knight Bundle might do same for ps4 like Destiny did.

DieH@rd

Banned
FYI: The Arkham Knight Bundle might do same for ps4 like Destiny did.

Destiny had much larger and longer marketing campaign, and two pre-release MP tests that gathered over 6.5 milion players.

AK will give bump to PS4, but not nearly as much as Destiny.

Destiny had much larger and longer marketing campaign, and two pre-release MP tests that gathered over 6.5 milion players.

I think the Silver Bundle is more attractive than the White Bundle but I can't tell for sure. Did Destiny Bundle Pre-Orders Sold Out like Batman Bundle did, Amazon-wise?

DieH@rd

Banned
I think the Silver Bundle is more attractive than the White Bundle but I can't tell for sure. Did Destiny Bundle Pre-Orders Sold Out like Batman Bundle did, Amazon-wise?

Silver AK bundle is marketed as "Limited Edition". White Destiny console was marketed just as white SKU, and I think there were more of them made.

frizby

Established franchises don't need that kind of push.

Also, Batman.

Javin98

Banned
~500k -Gap as of Jan 3rd 2015
~540k -Gap as of Jan 31st 2015
~605k -Gap as of Feb 28th 2015

*Numbers are rounded up to nearest 5k.

NPD%20CUMULATIVE_zpsgjddhbob.jpg

NPD%20Month_zps2gmuevcd.jpg
Thanks, Zhuge. I always appreciate your graphs. Tried to apply for Patcher's job yet? XD
On a more serious note, I expect the gap to have increased to at least 700K in March. The PS4 should be able to regain the lead it had before last year's holidays at the very end of August.

It would be hilarious if ACU bundles are still available by Oct/Nov.

A whole year's worth of shipment in two months. Truly treating holidays as the only months that matter.:p
LOL, I would die laughing if this happens

Endo Punk

I was certain that XB1 would be on top for Feb since no significent release, The Order bomb and the XB1 price cut already in effect again. The fact it wasn't probably means March is going to be an even bigger disparity due to BB critical reception and Hardline marketing.

Javin98

Banned

While I agree that Batman Arkham Knight alone will not push as many units as Destiny, don't forget that Sony also has MGSV in September. If they announce bundles for both games (there is already one for AK), then I'm quite confident that both combined will push more units than Destiny.

Boke1879

While I agree that Batman Arkham Knight alone will not push as many units as Destiny, don't forget that Sony also has MGSV in September. If they announce bundles for both games (there is already one for AK), then I'm quite confident that both combined will push more units than Destiny.

Waiting to see how much the PS4 sells this month but I'm going to guess the ps4 will sell about 400k in June due to the AK bundle

Javin98

Banned
Waiting to see how much the PS4 sells this month but I'm going to guess the ps4 will sell about 400k in June due to the AK bundle
Sounds reasonable, although I wouldn't be surprised if it sold even better than that. 500K for September if there is a price drop, anyone?

Stanng243

Did we ever figure out what was going on with the Mortal Kombat sales numbers? I'd be really curious to see if the PS3/Ps4 fight pad compatibility is having an effect.

Purest 78

You're not looking at the full picture, the Destiny bundle attracted gamers. The Batman bundle will attract gamers and collectors.

Conduit

Banned
I was certain that XB1 would be on top for Feb since no significent release, The Order bomb and the XB1 price cut already in effect again.

Well, i don't think so.

It came out on the 20th Feb. Slayed by gaming journalist! In the end 9th place is NOT THAT BAD!

I think WW sales were good.

Like ZHuge said, this doesn't take into account R&D and other stuff. Either way, this further proves my point that a price drop to $299 is good for Sony and the PS4.

wow people actually think ps4 will be slashed $100 while they're outselling their closest competitor by 2:1 worldwide?

we've been hearing about the ps4's price cut multiple times ever since it has been announced, for some reason.

yes, i get it. people want everything to be cheaper and they are wishing every year for a price cut, but let's not get crazy and say a price cut is necessary or it will only be better for sony. playstation knows more about their financials than anyone.

at the same time, this is how they profit off hardware. they sell during the first year with little to no profit, even a loss. when materials get cheaper, that's when they make a profit on the hardware by not scaling down the price as the cost decreases. isn't that why shu was saying last year that they might be selling a lot of ps4s too quickly.

Javin98

Banned
wow people actually think ps4 will be slashed $100 while they're outselling their closest competitor by 2:1 worldwide?

we've been hearing about the ps4's price cut multiple times ever since it has been announced, for some reason.

yes, i get it. people want everything to be cheaper and they are wishing every year for a price cut, but let's not get crazy and say a price cut is necessary or it will only be better for sony. playstation knows more about their financials than anyone.

at the same time, this is how they profit off hardware. they sell during the first year with little to no profit, even a loss. when materials get cheaper, that's when they make a profit on the hardware by not scaling down the price as the cost decreases. isn't that why shu was saying last year that they might be selling a lot of ps4s too quickly.
Can we put aside console wars when it comes to the PS4's price cuts? Yes, even if it stays at $399 for the rest of the year, it will destroy the XB1 in places which isn't the US and UK. The main reason Sony will slash the price isn't because they want the PS4 to further increase the gap, but rather, to increase the install base. When the install base grows larger, they will make even bigger profits from software licensing and PS Plus subscriptions. Price cuts will benefit the long term business. I'm not sure why people who think the PS4 doesn't need a price cut keep forgetting/ignoring this. Furthermore, Sony has been making profits off each PS4 sold since early 2014 IIRC. In September this year, the PS4 could easily cost only slightly more than $299 or perhaps even less to manufacture .

Can we put aside console wars when it comes to the PS4's price cuts? Yes, even if it stays at $399 for the rest of the year, it will destroy the XB1 in places which isn't the US and UK. The main reason Sony will slash the price isn't because they want the PS4 to further increase the gap, but rather, to increase the install base. When the install base grows larger, they will make even bigger profits from software licensing and PS Plus subscriptions. Price cuts will benefit the long term business. I'm not sure why people who think the PS4 doesn't need a price cut keep forgetting/ignoring this. Furthermore, Sony has been making profits off each PS4 sold since early 2014 IIRC. In September this year, the PS4 could easily cost only slightly more than $299 or perhaps even less to manufacture .

they are selling...tons.

let me put it clearly: no one is selling better than them.

this isn't about console wars. your logic seems to be the more the better. if that were the case then why didn't the ps4 sell that $299 from the get-go for "maximum damage"?

why take a loss to gain market share, when you are gaining market share every month and your momentum has not slowed down and stopped?

price cut is also permanent, which means you throw away price flexibility options out the window. don't you notice how palystation has been adding value instead of lowering price? that way, they can potentially increase sales volume (with bundles, increased advertising, exclusive deals, etc.) without taking a loss at face value.

Wouldn't a price drop coincide with a big release like GT7 or UC4? Batman and MGS are big partners to bundle with, but I don't think the official price drop comes unless its attached with a big exclusive and more importantly, its not being sold at a loss at $299.

I think Sony is done with that business model

Top Bottom