• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

March Wrasslin' |OT2| The God-King Reigns, Baby

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

kiguel182

From the sound of the report, they got a decent show aside from the main event. Anyone who bought a ticket expecting 3 hours+ of exactly everything they would love, hasn't been following things very long.

As far as I go, I don't watch the show because I don't care for the bloated approach. If there's an interesting match or segment, I'll look it up on their site. If the show underwent a format change, I'd likely watch regularly. But I know that the company isn't worrying about catering to my specific wants, see.

A company whose main focus is a live show should cater to the needs of the live audience. Wrestling lives and dies on it's crowd and it should know how to work them and keep them entertained.

WWE would be wise to learn from these reactions and, you know, do better next time. If they don't people will either be quiet or have fun chanting other shit.

And this has nothing to do with the misoginistics bullshit that happened earilier. Chanting NXT guys names or doing the wave isn't rude. Booing also isn't rude, specially at a wrestling show.

Ithil

They were bored and needed to create their own entertainment. Apparently that's a free pass to be a fuckhead at wrasslin shows.
Don't twist my words. I was only talking about the goofy chanting in the main event that no one wanted to see, or the booing Show, Kane and Reigns got. The crude chants at the women were unacceptable.

bjork

A company whose main focus is a live show should cater to the needs of the live audience. Wrestling lives and dies on it's crowd and it should know how to work them and keep them entertained.

WWE would be wise to learn from these reactions and, you know, do better next time. If they don't people will either be quiet or have fun chanting other shit.

And this has nothing to do with the misoginistics bullshit that happened earilier. Chanting NXT guys names or doing the wave isn't rude. Booing also isn't rude, specially at a wrestling show.

Booing is a-ok, it's kind of a universal thing. I don't even mind the occasional bullshit chant, or a so and so sucks chant. They play up to that kind of stuff anyway. I don't get chanting some other dude's name during a match, and I think it is rude to whoever is out there. It's not like Big Show or whoever went "hey Vince, I want to piss off these people tonight," he's just doing his job. The wave is better than a boring chant, I must admit.

Ithil

All debate aside, let's say you're booking the show. What could you have done to pop the crowd? Who can you debut that makes a big splash that would make the crowd happy? Sting's likely done, UT works one day a year, Rock did his thing at WM, and even the most mega-over NXT guy won't draw the kind of cheers that one of those guys would get. Maybe should've had the Brock rampage thing end the show? People went apeshit for that, and rightly so. I don't even like him and that shit was entertaining.

I would have debuted Finn Bálor in the main event. That crowd knew every NXT guy, every NXT chant (as the actual main event proved). That guy would have been a massive hit with the crowd, and it would have marked him as a big deal immediately.

bjork

I would have debuted Finn Bálor in the main event. That crowd knew every NXT guy, every NXT chant (as the actual main event proved). That guy would have been a massive hit with the crowd, and it would have marked him as a big deal immediately.

It would've popped that crowd, but I wonder what you do with him week two. If he wound up fighting Show and Kane for weeks after that, does that help him or hinder him?

Ithil

It would've popped that crowd, but I wonder what you do with him week two. If he wound up fighting Show and Kane for weeks after that, does that help him or hinder him?

Well, now you're getting into fantasy booking, and if I was running WWE Kane and Show would be nowhere near the main event. But if you were bringing up Finn Bálor, right into the upper card, you would have a feud in place when he comes in.

bjork

Well, now you're getting into fantasy booking, and if I was running WWE Kane and Show would be nowhere near the main event. But if you were bringing up Finn Bálor, right into the upper card, you would have a feud in place when he comes in.

Ha, all of that is fair enough. I don't know that I'd even have Kane and Show at all, tbh.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
There's a difference between rejecting something and acting like a bunch of idiots. I know when I'm unhappy with a product, the first thing I do is buy a ticket so I can go see it live and try to actively ruin the experience for people who might enjoy what's going on, either live or at home, with a bunch of dumb ass smarky hockey chant garbage and saying 'what' at everything like that wasn't tired in about 2002. It's stupid and accomplishes nothing. The lone shining example of it potentially working is Bryan at WM30, and look where he was the next night: getting ready to job for Kane.

The company doesn't care if they like the show, because they know they're always going to come back to the show. And they know the most they are willing to do is chant bullshit or send snide tweets or any other infinitely ignorable wastes of energy as they continue to buy and buy and buy.

It's not like the old road stories of old ladies trying to stab Terry Funk and shit. You think that old lady was content to stand there during a Funk match and chant some unrelated like RICKY MORTON clap clap clapclapclap shit because that's sure gonna show him and the promoter? Hell no, she believed and she wanted him hurt for real because she believed.

Wrestling fans are the worst thing about wrestling today. But as long as I have people who will watch it and post results so I don't have to, at least I don't have to hear it 99% of the time. But even reading about it is such a drag.

Between the commentators being terrible and certain crowds marking out for themselves, I just leave the audio off in many cases. The chants at the divas more or less summed up that crowd and many of those fans' true motivations and beliefs, and then starting a "we are awesome" chant pretty much disabused anyone of the notion that they were "bored". They just wanted to be talked about. They wanted their 15 minutes of fame. If they had JUST done the ME chants; it would have been another awesome post WM crowd. But...in light of the earlier chants - that speaks to their mentality and their intent.

I'd rather save Balor for WM 32. Doing a full blown entrance for the first time in front of 100k fans? THAT will make a star. Plus; he is looking at taking the spot of a Ziggler or Bryan. I don't want that yet. Despite everyone's please; you can't turn WWE into ROH with bigger production values - the ROH style doesn't draw on a large scale. You need some giants and such to be the hateable bad guy bodyguards (Get Reigns to the Authority, stat)

Ithil

Bálor is 33, already more than ready-made for the main roster, and you want him to just hang around in developmental for another year?

Sephzilla

Bálor is 33, already more than ready-made for the main roster, and you want him to just hang around in developmental for another year?

My ideal debut for Balor is to have him show up around SummerSlam or Survivor Series and wrestle as normal Finn Balor for a while, no paint/Demon Form. Then for the Royal Rumble we find out Balor draws either the #1 or #2 spot and then Balor says he needs to bring something extra to the table for the Royal Rumble. Balor debuts the Demon Form at the Royal Rumble and then wins the event to go to Mania.

kiguel182

lol at "you need big guys to draw". You need guys that look cool. UFC has plenty of small guys that draw money because they are legit. WWE's problem is that it book smaller guys like they are crap.

My ideal debut for Balor is to have him show up around SummerSlam or Survivor Series and wrestle as normal Finn Balor for a while, no paint/Demon Form. Then for the Royal Rumble we find out Balor draws either the #1 or #2 spot and then Balor says he needs to bring something extra to the table for the Royal Rumble. Balor debuts the Demon Form at the Royal Rumble and then wins the event to go to Mania.

They need to do it like NXT where the Demon only appears at PPVs and at Raw is just normal Balor.

Lum1n3s

They paid money to be entertained, nothing wrong with creating your own entertainment when the show isn't providing. The losers that were chanting things I won't quote during the women's match can stick it, however.
The heck was being said during the divas match? I don't remember hearing any bad chants towards them.

MC Safety

I watched Raw in its entirety for, I think, the very first time last night.

There were too many flashbacks and recaps for the opening segment. It became intrusive, and they could have easily fit an extra match into the time they used to fill viewers in on what happened.

Something happens in the first hour, you can recap it once. If you need to further review the event, you can have the commentators do it without taking away from the in-ring action.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Between the commentators being terrible and certain crowds marking out for themselves, I just leave the audio off in many cases. The chants at the divas more or less summed up that crowd and many of those fans' true motivations and beliefs, and then starting a "we are awesome" chant pretty much disabused anyone of the notion that they were "bored". They just wanted to be talked about. They wanted their 15 minutes of fame. If they had JUST done the ME chants; it would have been another awesome post WM crowd. But...in light of the earlier chants - that speaks to their mentality and their intent.

I'd rather save Balor for WM 32. Doing a full blown entrance for the first time in front of 100k fans? THAT will make a star. Plus; he is looking at taking the spot of a Ziggler or Bryan. I don't want that yet. Despite everyone's please; you can't turn WWE into ROH with bigger production values - the ROH style doesn't draw on a large scale. You need some giants and such to be The hateable bad guy bodyguards (Get Reigns to the Authority, stat)

The exaggeration of the We Are Awesome chant lasted maybe 10 seconds until boos drowned it out. There was a section that kept starting shitty chants and arguing with security who kept telling them to sit down. Same section where the Brock plant was.

Crowd was hot all night and had 5-6 bad chants out of 30+.

This is getting further and further away from being about hijacking. I'll just say ok.
I was there. There was no intention of hijacking. Basically once that backstage segment happened where it was obvious Randy's partners would be Ryback and Reigns against Kane and Big Show, everyone around me started just feeling deflated. It was such a hot show up to that point, and to get that crummy main event after the beginning of the show promised a title rematch with Lesnar felt horrible. So the crowd started rotating through NXT wrestler chants and "same old shit" to make it clear what the audience wants to see. Not that we necessarily expected NXT guys in the main event, but that we like younger talent who are fresh, agile, and interesting.

Alucard

Banned
The Raw crowd was fine. Trying to call them out for 2-3 minutes of questionable chants out of a 180-minute show just seems like it misrepresents how much that crowd added to the vast majority of segments on the show. Were they perfect? No. But I'll take this type of crowd any day of the week over the usual.

alstein

Best place to debut him is as the payoff to Cena's open challenges. Have him fight jobbers from NXT like CJ Parker and guys who haven't been on TV yet and squash them. then Balor shows up and slaps in the face and beats him for the belt. Go Full Circle with Cena's career.

Heroman

Banned
Finn is one of those guy who just screams main eventer and I think HHH and to lesser extent Vince know that. So when ever he debut on raw he gonna be pretty big.

Finn is one of those guy who just screams main eventer and I think HHH and to lesser extent Vince know that. So when ever he debut on raw he gonna be pretty big.

hahahano

qpcQWJQ.jpg

Top Bottom