• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marihuana users... read this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

commedieu

Banned
I never said it somehow magically changes. It's an emotional response brought out by being so close to what's being financed.

I'm sorry if my post came off with any tone to it. This thread seems to have 2 camps. I'm on the side of legalizing a drug that gives cartels so much power. I understand the emotional arguments, but as far as speaking to what the reality of the world is, I think legalization is the right way to go. There will still be a lot of work to do for mexico, and it really is an unfortunate situation.

Pau

I'm sorry if my post came off with any tone to it. This thread seems to have 2 camps. I'm on the side of legalizing a drug that gives cartels so much power. I understand the emotional arguments, but as far as speaking to what the reality of the world is, I think legalization is the right way to go. There will still be a lot of work to do for mexico, and it really is an unfortunate situation.
No worries. A lot of this thread can feel like posters speaking down to the very people affected by this stuff, so I kind of came into it already on edge. :p

Definitely agree that the best possible solution is legalizing drugs like weed. Having it be grown locally and legally will probably be the most effective way of putting a dent in the cartel's power. I'm not sure what they'd do in response to it though.

How Mexico is right now reminds me a lot of Colombia in the early 90's, and we managed to improve from that so I know it's not an impossible situation. Just a very difficult and heartbreaking one.

Two bad doesn't make a good. Also, here gas, oil, electricity, etc. are property of the state and are produced locally from the country own oil fields. But yes, thats a big problem that also needs to be addressed. How good for the world it would be if people had conscience of the consequences of their acts.

That's not a good situation to be in.

you're missing the point. There externalities of commerce has the same consequences of the drug market. There are enviromental impacts from manufacturing, starvation from farming, pesticide use that causes cancer.

Stopping people from buying weed isn't going to change anything, margins will go up and more people will die. The top dogs will always earn the same amount regardless of how much product is sold, it will only lead to more fighting between gangs because the market will shrink and competition will become more fierce.

Dont blame the States because your country is a shithole.
Sure, the States never had not one single piece of influence on Mexico history and affairs at all. Right noob?

About potheads. I hate them. They influenced the crime here a lot too buying this shit. There are drug dealers at my fucking university. But I'm glad the governament is not stupid enough to legalize some drug because some junkies want they fix. I hope the war against those drug dealers goes until the end.

VASPER

Banned
I don't think you're familiar with America's drug problems and poverty. Domestically. No one cares about mexico, when they can't care about their own citizens dying of drug abuse from prescription drugs.

Buying isn't the problem. Its the demand for drugs. People are always going to use drugs, for their own reasons. The usa could legalize mj, which would dent the cartels for sure. Theres no way to make that money back without weed.

But its a bit of fantasy to ignore the usas own drug problems, and think humans in the usa are different than any other human supporting the cartels. Isnt it? Usa isn't the only country buying illegal goods from mexico. No one cares, which is why the mexican people need to act on behalf of their country. Help isn't coming anywhere else.

Edit;

And the sad thing about mexico, is that the government is just as bad for the people. Sure everyone stops drugs... will the police actually be honorable citizens? Will everyone stop stealing money from the people?

Drugs are bad for mexico, yes, but mexico seems bad for mexico as well.

I like this guy. I think MCdonalds should be banned cause it kills people, this thread is just dumb now and should be locked.

commedieu

Banned
you're missing the point. There externalities of commerce has the same consequences of the drug market. There are enviromental impacts from manufacturing, starvation from farming, pesticide use that causes cancer.

Stopping people from buying weed isn't going to change anything, margins will go up and more people will die. The top dogs will always earn the same amount regardless of how much product is sold, it will only lead to more fighting between gangs because the market will shrink and competition will become more fierce.

How are you factoring in the abysmal costs of producing weed, and selling a highly marked up product? They have a wonder product right now, that makes the cartels quite a lot of money, more so than the rest of their products. None of the products are as easy as weed to make.

If people stop buying mexican weed(due to legalization and having access to better quality weed) A cartel literally couldn't make up that money. There is no other source besides weed. Either they would get into the legal weed game, actually compete with a product invested into(raising the cost of producing the weed, cutting into their profits), or settle with making less money. Nothing will replace weed for Cartels simply because weed is a unique product. They can't up the demand of heroin or human trafficking... and they can't up the demand for mexican weed, once their consumers have a surplus of quality weed across the street. They will srhink, and they will kill eachother off, however, weed will not be replaced, no matter how many bodies build up. Less money from weed means less influence. Let the mexican government deal with the aftermath of cartel inner fighting. But the biggest blow, with the least ramifications from cartels, is removing weed from the equation. It just takes the flick of a pen. No military action, no war - to hit the cartels where it hurts.

How are you factoring in the abysmal costs of producing weed, and selling a highly marked up product? They have a wonder product right now, that makes the cartels quite a lot of money, more so than the rest of their products. None of the products are as easy as weed to make.

If people stop buying mexican weed(due to legalization and having access to better quality weed) A cartel literally couldn't make up that money. There is no other source besides weed. Either they would get into the legal weed game, actually compete with a product invested into(raising the cost of producing the weed, cutting into their profits), or settle with making less money. Nothing will replace weed for Cartels simply because weed is a unique product. They can't up the demand of heroin or human trafficking... and they can't up the demand for mexican weed, once their consumers have a surplus of quality weed across the street. They will srhink, and they will kill eachother off, however, weed will not be replaced, no matter how many bodies build up. Less money from weed means less influence. Let the mexican government deal with the aftermath of cartel inner fighting. But the biggest blow, with the least ramifications from cartels, is removing weed from the equation. It just takes the flick of a pen. No military action, no war - to hit the cartels where it hurts.

Cartel A makes X amount of money on their market and Cartel B makes X amount of money. They fight because they each want more market share.

The market shrinks

Cartel A is not making Y amount of money, but requires X amount of money, so they start to attack Cartel B with more force and in kind Cartel B does the same.

If the market shrinks, the fighting will go up, regardless of what happens fighting will occur until the markets become stable.

Advocating the legalization of weed in the US will help significantly because it's now a saturated market which no longer require dirty drugs from the mexican cartels, however it will only shift the focus to drugs like heroin or coke.

Hale-XF11

Sure, the States never had not one single piece of influence on Mexico history and affairs at all. Right noob?

About potheads. I hate them. They influenced the crime here a lot too buying this shit. There are drug dealers at my fucking university. But I'm glad the governament is not stupid enough to legalize some drug because some junkies want they fix. I hope the war against those drug dealers goes until the end.

What end? There is no end. The war on drugs has been going on for over 40 years now and guess who's still winning? People who want drugs and the people who sell them, that's who. Nothing has changed other than that drug cartels are more powerful than ever simply because they own the drug market. Prohibition of drugs allows them to continue to operate forever. Take down one gang leader, another takes his place.

If you want to see real change, stop living the fantasy that one day we will live in a drug-free world. There is no such thing as a drug-free world and there never has been and never will be. People will always want to alter their consciousness, whether it's with beer or weed or some other drug. Once you accept that, then you can look for alternatives to end the war, that is unless you want to continue a futile battle with no end in sight.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, fuck personal responsibility. ;/

Cartel A makes X amount of money on their market and Cartel B makes X amount of money. They fight because they each want more market share.

The market shrinks

Cartel A is not making Y amount of money, but requires X amount of money, so they start to attack Cartel B with more force and in kind Cartel B does the same.

If the market shrinks, the fighting will go up, regardless of what happens fighting will occur until the markets become stable.
They need money in order to finance their foot soldiers. Violence would go up short term, but mid to long term? I don't think so.

commedieu

Banned

You realize that the country, the USA, is full of people who have drug problems, along with mental health problems, and healthcare in general? You realize that out of the first world nations, Americans are dying younger than anyone else?

The USA's #1 killer right now as far as drug related overdoses, comes from prescription drugs. I know you have disdain for potheads and junkies, but your disdain shouldn't block you from making good judgement.

Would drug dealers be on your campus if people could obtain the drug legally? Nope. And that applies to the rest. Does marijuana kill people in droves, Nope. Prescription drugs do. Are those people, with prescription drugs, all junkies as well? If they are, then you can't help but see that there is a problem in this country larger than just labeling people, and trying to ban a substance that has no logical reason to be banned compared to prescription drugs that are killing people, as well as alcohol.

All your mindset does, is waste my taxes, and keep cartels in power. The war on drugs has been a waste for my country since its inception. The population sees no benefit outside of record drug abuse deaths from legal sources. Marijuana brings income to states that need the money during our horrible economy. But no, lets keep throwing people in jail, ruining their lives, and offering them no options besides crime when they get out.

There is no positive course of action that can be found anywhere in your words. I hope you can understand any of this one day, as people like you are definitely part of the problem. Billions of dollars could be running through our economy right now, people could have better qualities of life. People would have more opportunity to accelerate in life, rather than be thrown in jail for smoking weed. You have a gigantic loss of my taxes going towards a drug that is no harm(as described by other drugs side effects and addiction rates of legal substances) and you wan't this to continue because of your personal feelings towards it.

The market shrinks

Advocating the legalization of weed in the US will help significantly because it's now a saturated market which no longer require dirty drugs from the mexican cartels, however it will only shift the focus to drugs like heroin or coke.

They need money in order to finance their foot soldiers. Violence would go up short term, but mid to long term? I don't think so.

^^^ Sums up what the reality is. They can fight over money, but the pile of money is srhinking. Inherently there will be violence, but as I've said time and time again, weed will not be replaced. That income will not be replaced by anything, which will drive down the cartels influences over time.

les papillons sexuels. Weed, once removed, from drug cartels income, will be a significant blow and it will be more effective than any other option to reduce their influence on the world, and mexico. There will be violence afterward, its all these animals know. But the income from weed will not be there.

And again. Cartels can not influence DEMAND. The demand for weed is greater than heroin or coke, and those are products that are more expensive to create than weed. Cartels can't ship more heroin to people that don't want it. They have an income from heroin, but whenever one of their ships is busted off the coast of california.

Its weed.

Heroin and cocaine is labor intensive to make. Weed is not. It costs them X amount to make these drugs. That X is greater than the Y for weed. Which is why weed is so profitable. Increasing shipments of heroin and coke, increases your manufacturing costs. They don't have that problem with weed, which is why it does wonders for their bottom line. They technically, and mathematically, can't replace weed's profit margins.

Dude Abides

Banned
Is there a user named Ms. or Mrs. Asimov?

Also, I was under the impression most of cartel revenue came from harder drugs rather than weed.

commedieu

Banned
Is there a user named Ms. or Mrs. Asimov?

Also, I was under the impression most of cartel revenue came from harder drugs rather than weed.

High demand for marijuana in the United States encourages the drug’s production in Mexico, as well as its subsequent trafficking. Most of the drugs produced in Mexico are exported to the United States, since its narcotics market is 60 times bigger than Mexico’s, according to Luis de la Barreda Solórzano, director of the University Program for Human Rights in the Universidad Autónoma de México. The American population is 2.5 times bigger than the Mexican population, and yet Americans consume five times more drugs. Additionally, selling drugs in the United States is much more profitable than in Mexico because one gram of marijuana is 10 times more expensive in America.

http://www.wellesleynewsonline.com/...l-mexican-drug-cartels-1.2984250#.UXrQAcp96Vo

I think the main reason weed thrives with the cartels, is the markup. They don't have that markup for the rest of their product due to the costs of creating heroin and cocaine.

neoism

I will never understand why humans have made such a big deal with a plant... I love weed, and know it makes you amazingly happy, but to kill, and murder over it because it makes a fuck ton of money... SMMFH... The day this retarded country makes it legal is the day it stops being stupid... mostly... They will be amazed at how much crime will go down, but sadly they make to much money for it to me illegal... makes me sick...smh..smh. While the other smokable is legal only because it can kill you, which puts money in Doctors hands... If weed gave you Cancer it would probably be legal already...

Being Human makes me sad sometimes... the stupid shit we do...

ihalVTujo2HLS.gif

You sound like such a sanctimonious dick. I hope you personally check the source of each item you consume/purchase before departing with your money. Otherwise you're a sanctimonious dick who's also a giant hypocrite.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
You sound like such a sanctimonious dick. I hope you personally check the source of each item you consume/purchase before departing with your money. Otherwise you're a sanctimonious dick who's also a giant hypocrite.

I legitimately can't understand this position. So, fuck all that don't affect me directly? I really don't get it. I can't really see how having conscience of the ways of the world can ever be painted as something bad. But yeah, I'm a dick, huh? For a place like GAF, which many of its population is self declared progressive, that such idea is so rejected... it blows my mind. Fuck them, I got mine. I guess in the end we are all the same. :/

Dai101

Banned
I legitimately can't understand this position. So, fuck all that don't affect me directly? I really don't get it. I can't really see how having conscience of the ways of the world can ever be painted as something bad. But yeah, I'm a dick, huh? For a place like GAF, which many of its population is self declared progressive, that such idea is so rejected... it blows my mind. Fuck them, I got mine. I guess in the end we are all the same. :/

The USA motto should be "FUCK YOU, I GOT MINE" is really depressing that as you say, people that say they're progressive and all that think this way.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Having a conscience of the world is fantastic but if you (I'm using the figurative you here and not the literal you since I literally don't know you, lol) don't actually act on it and all you do is nag people about it, then you deserve a negative response. Put your money where your mouth is.

edited for clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom