• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marihuana users... read this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

he typed all that on his cellphone? damn.

no, the problem isn't weed. The problem is politics and lawlessness and poverty. Address the problems, not the distractions.
People are afraid of the problem they can't control, so they want to get more aggressive with the things they think they CAN control. Marihuana isn't the problem. The Narcos are the problem. Get rid of the drug, you still have all those gangs of killers with military weapons and training. And they're still going to want power.

Hale-XF11

Someone forces you to buy dope? Ok. You have the power to subside murder by buying dope, or no by not buying dope. You chose the first one.

Huh? I never said that. Also, do you mean subsidize?

I don't think you understand how the legislative process works, otherwise you wouldn't be blaming me.

akira28

yes. you're subsidizing murder when you smoke dope. You're also helping fund al queda. Hope you're fucking happy.

I don't even want to think about all the murder I subsidize when I get in my car, or buy anything at a store.

h1nch

The US should fully legalize, tax, and regulate Marijuana.

The violence problems in Mexico are the responsibility of the Mexican government, and it's people. Solve your corruption problems and take control of your country.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, yes, subsidize.

I don't think you understand how the legislative process works, otherwise you wouldn't be blaming me.
Oh, dodging personal responsibility I see.

The US should fully legalize, tax, and regulate Marijuana.

The violence problems in Mexico are the responsibility of the Mexican government, and it's people. Solve your corruption problems and take control of your country.

We live in a globalized world. Not on insulated countries. To bad countries are not closed systems.

Hale-XF11

Oh, dodging personal responsibility I see.
If you read my original post in this thread, you'll see that I mentioned how I've already done everything in my power to get marijuana legalized and regulated. There's nothing more I can do other than to protest.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
If you read my original post in this thread, you'll see that I mentioned how I've already done everything in my power to get marijuana legalized and regulated. There's nothing more I can do other than to protest.

That's fine an all. But when you buy Mexican dope you are financially supporting murderous criminals, there's no other side to that. You have the choice of not to do it.

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
It's really hard to think about drug cartels and their influence when offered a kilo of weed for 3500 pesos.

Hale-XF11

That's fine an all. But when you buy Mexican dope you are financially supporting murderous criminals, there's no other side to that.

Like I already said, I don't even know where it comes from and I wish I did. Unfortunately, I don't have any say in that matter. It's completely out of my hands.

I don't know what makes you think that you can convince millions of people to just not buy something anymore that's in great demand, especially this country's largest cash crop. That's just not how things work.

Incidentally, Lonely1, if you're so concerned about it, what have YOU done about it?

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Like I already said, I don't even know where it comes from and I wish I did. Unfortunately, I don't have any say in that matter. It's completely out of my hands.

I don't know what makes you think that you can convince millions of people to just not buy something anymore that's in great demand, especially this country's largest cash crop. That's just not how things work.

The least we can do is to create conscience about the situation, which can't be done with deflecting blame.

Incidentally, Lonely1, if you're so concerned about it, what have YOU done about it?

I don't buy marihuana, for a start.

Ignore list doesn't work as well when someone quotes the dumb posts. :p

suoodS

Living 10 minutes from the border, calling attend to all marijuana users, giving statistics of the profit of smuggling drugs..

This thread did not go where I was expecting.

h1nch

Pretty sure if everyone stops smoking weed, Mexican Drug Cartels will close up shop and that's that.

They would shift to legal business ventures like tech start ups. Cloud computing is the future, and a potentially lucrative market.

railGUN

Banned
Probably not, but their financial power would be greatly diminished.

True, it's not like there's any other drugs that are really all that profitable, or easy to traffic. I doubt they'd switch their focus to other drugs anyways. Probably just go away.

Hale-XF11

The least we can do is to create conscience about the situation, which can't be done with deflecting blame.

And who's to blame for creating prohibition in the first place? Our government. Congress is the first to blame, then our state representatives next. They are the ones in control of legislation.

I don't buy heroin, but that's not going to have any effect whatsoever on the black market for that or do anything to treat people who are addicted to it.

What I'm asking is, what are you actively doing to change things? If all you're doing is not buying marijuana, then you haven't done ANYTHING.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
True, it's not like there's any other drugs that are really all that profitable, or easy to traffic. I doubt they'd switch their focus to other drugs anyways. Probably just go away.

Why not stopping doing illegal drugs altogether then? You can get high just fine with glue.

I don't buy heroin, but that's not going to have any effect whatsoever on the black market for that or do anything to treat people who are addicted to it.

What I'm asking is, what are you actively doing to change things? If all you're doing is not buying marijuana, then you haven't done ANYTHING.
Since I live in Mexico, what I can (and should) do is different from you. Attacking social deficiencies, voluntary work to help the development of sciences sounds good to you? Also, not engaging in the cycle of corruption and black market is very important. If people had conscience of the consequences of their actions the world would be a much better place. </3.

railGUN

Banned
Why not stopping doing illegal drugs altogether then? You can get high just fine with glue.

Good point. Wow. You'd think it would be more complicated than that but really... just have everyone stop doing illegal drugs and bam! no more drug cartels. Brilliant.

Hale-XF11

Since I live in Mexico, what I can (and should) do is different from you. Attacking social deficiencies, voluntary work to help the development of sciences sounds good to you?

I don't know what would be most effective, since I don't live over there and don't understand any of the logistics of your government's policies. I guess that's up to you to decide. I can really only speak for my own experiences here about what might work and what doesn't work in order to create change. Took me years just to get to the point where I could understand how things work in my own state.

Marijuana I buy is locally grown. I do apologize for the shit that is going down in Mexico and I cannot imagine the horror that your people are going through. I will be doing my part and vote for legalization when the time comes in Ohio. I know you are banned (not sure why) but I would try to find a way to stay in the US (legally of course). Mexico scares the shit out of me.

Cyan

Banned
So TC gets banned for no reason and this guy right here doesn't when he should be ?

I have no idea who "TC" is, but if you think someone's done something bannable, PM a mod to alert them instead of bitching about it in-thread (and bringing in unrelated shit).

Cyan

Banned
Ohhhhhh. I'm slow on the uptake sometimes. :p (and I take back the "unrelated shit" remark)

Don't worry, I promise Fernando Rocker wasn't banned for no reason.

commedieu

Banned

Ignore list doesn't work as well when someone quotes the dumb posts. :p

I don't think you're familiar with America's drug problems and poverty. Domestically. No one cares about mexico, when they can't care about their own citizens dying of drug abuse from prescription drugs.

Buying isn't the problem. Its the demand for drugs. People are always going to use drugs, for their own reasons. The usa could legalize mj, which would dent the cartels for sure. Theres no way to make that money back without weed.

But its a bit of fantasy to ignore the usas own drug problems, and think humans in the usa are different than any other human supporting the cartels. Isnt it? Usa isn't the only country buying illegal goods from mexico. No one cares, which is why the mexican people need to act on behalf of their country. Help isn't coming anywhere else.

Edit;

And the sad thing about mexico, is that the government is just as bad for the people. Sure everyone stops drugs... will the police actually be honorable citizens? Will everyone stop stealing money from the people?

Drugs are bad for mexico, yes, but mexico seems bad for mexico as well.

That's fine an all. But when you buy Mexican dope you are financially supporting murderous criminals, there's no other side to that. You have the choice of not to do it.

when you buy gasoline you're supporting criminals as well, and often times you're supporting insurgents in the middle east who are doing the exact same thing with their oil profits as the mexicans.

when you buy gasoline you're supporting criminals as well, and often times you're supporting insurgents in the middle east who are doing the exact same thing with their oil profits as the mexicans.

To add: Diamonds. Most rocks you see on ring fingers aren't exactly from pure sources. Everyone has probably been guilty of one thing or another at one point in their life.

Pau

As someone whose family has been the target of drug cartels and guerilla groups who finance themselves partly through the drug trade in Colombia and had to flee the country because of it, I understand where the OP is coming from.

Many of the products we consume finance some pretty shitty stuff. But illegal drugs have been close enough to home that I can't help but get angry when people say they don't care.

And damn are there some ignorant ass posts about Mexico and the Mexican people in this thread.

commedieu

Banned
As someone whose family has been the target of drug cartels and guerilla groups who finance themselves partly through the drug trade in Colombia and had to flee the country because of it, I understand where the OP is coming from.

Many of the products we consume finance some pretty shitty stuff. But illegal drugs have been close enough to home that I can't help but get angry when people say they don't care.

And damn are there some ignorant ass posts about Mexico and the Mexican people in this thread.
People don't care about their own fellow xountrymens drug and addiction problems, along with poverty. So why would you think it changes some how for mexico? It sucks, but people want drugs. The usa is at least on the road to legalize pot. In places, and most get their pot from local sources.

There are a myriad of problems with the mexican government and corruption. Mexico has a lot of problems Outside of cartels and pot.

All anyone can dDo is make an effort. And that's happening in the usa. More so than in the past.

Apath

I hope everyone bashing marijuana smokers for supporting the Mexican cartels also doesn't eat chocolate, wear child labor sweatshop clothing, etc.

Ultimately you're not doing anything other than making yourself feel better by scolding others online for buying weed/drugs. It's ridiculous to assume that some rant and guilt trip online is going to have any effect. Most of the people who do drugs don't care about the dangers that hang over their own heads. If users overlook the possibility of jail, addiction, loss of money, loss of job etc etc, they're definitely going to overlook where the source of their habit is coming from. It's silly to assume otherwise.

You want to make a difference? Donate to legalization efforts or something. Vilifying users isn't the way to go.

http://breakingthetaboo.info/

commedieu

Banned
I hope everyone bashing marijuana smokers for supporting the Mexican cartels also doesn't eat chocolate, wear child labor sweatshop clothing, etc.

Or use plastics.. but yes. Its definitely related to artels. But what's the point? As if guilt factors I'm to day to day lives. A lot of americans lived fine with blowing up a country that had nothing to with 911. Its just to stir emotion. But the world is pretty tough to live in. Whichnis why many use drugs. Legal, and illegal.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Two bad doesn't make a good. Also, here gas, oil, electricity, etc. are property of the state and are produced locally from the country own oil fields. But yes, thats a big problem that also needs to be addressed. How good for the world it would be if people had conscience of the consequences of their acts.

Or use plastics.. but yes. Its definitely related to artels. But what's the point? As if guilt factors I'm to day to day lives. A lot of americans lived fine with blowing up a country that had nothing to with 911. Its just to stir emotion. But the world is pretty tough to live in. Whichnis why many use drugs. Legal, and illegal.
That's not a good situation to be in.

Pau

People don't care about their own fellow xountrymens drug and addiction problems, along with poverty. So why would you think it changes some how for mexico? It sucks, but people want drugs. The usa is at least on the road to legalize pot. In places, and most get their pot from local sources.

There are a myriad of problems with the mexican government and corruption. Mexico has a lot of problems Outside of cartels and pot.

All anyone can dDo is make an effort. And that's happening in the usa. More so than in the past.
I never said it somehow magically changes. It's an emotional response brought out by being so close to what's being financed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom