• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marihuana users... read this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I don't want to belittle the horrors going on south of the border, but save me the guilt trip. The stuff circulating around here is almost entirely "medical" and/or locally grown. I'm not supporting cartels, I'm supporting local businesses.

commedieu

Banned
MexicoGAF represent.

It's my main issue with drugs really. I don't give a shit if someone likes weed or proclaims to be a stoner and whatnot, it's the fact that the earning of buying drugs go exactly to the economy of drug cartels that have harmed my country and people near me.

Heck, I know guys who complain about narcos and not being able to drive at night because of the fear of being killed, kidnapped or beheaded, but still go on and on that they enjoy their weed. Seriously?

I even cut ties from a workgroup I had because two or three of them smoked pot kinda regularly, and you don't want to be associated with people who buy drugs that often and in big quantities.

I'm up for legalization and cutting the money to those motherfuckers. Alcohol and tobacco are already legal and I barely touch one and never do the latter anyway. Just be responsible to where you get your weed, GAF. If you grow your own plant and smoke it, by all means, enjoy it. Just don't hand over your money to some shady guy who is financing death for people over the border.

Honest Q. Whats the difference, for americans, in buying drugs or spending on military actions around the world, financing death for people over the border? I think you're missing a fundamental fact here. Amercan's don't think their actions through the end. Because we are focused on our life quality, and makin the american dream happen.

People have no problem here with OUR OWN poverty and drugproblems. Why do you think people will second guess their back alley pickup on friday night? With that said.

We have no problem going into a 10 year war killing hundreds of thousands and walking away because it was a lie. You have to consider your audience here.And by no problem I mean, no legal action, no committees, no petitions.. etc.

MormaPope

Banned
Plenty of stuff I use is manufactured by children, in factories. A lot of organic food is made and shipped from poor farmers in China. I assume you use and buy some of these same products OP, moving to the United States and all.

There has to be more done in this country than just skipping something or not participating. There been blood on American bought goods since the conception of this country.

Hunter S.

I can guarantee you in states with looser Marijuana laws, mostly in the West, Mexico does not supply most of the Marijuana as that is dirt, cheap weed.. We leave that to peasent states in the South and East. That stated, the drug prohibition does create a saddening amount of violence in Mexico. MJ needs universal legalization for sure.

They can't replace it. There is no demand for non-weed that will bring in the profit that weed is bringing in. Either they will participate legally, with legal streins that can compete with american quality, or they will just sit around missing the glory days.

Its like when I did web design back in 2000. You could do websites for 4500/weekened with just static pages. THose days are gone, we all still make money. Just different ways, and not as luxurious as before.

That's what I thought but I don't really have any information to back it up. On a purely anecdotal level, it does not seem like they would have as many users of harder drugs if marijuana were legalized.

Even if the profit margins on harder drugs were higher I'm not sure they would be able to make up the lost revenue. Although that might beg the question - would the violence intensify because cartels would be fighting over a smaller amount of money?

glow

Banned
I don't smoke reggie, that's that shit I don't like.

Seriously though, I know where mine comes from and it isn't Mexico. I do feel really bad about innocents getting caught up in cartel violence. It's really horrible what's happening down there.

In all seriousness, I love to smoke but I'm not going to risk losing my visa here over it so I'm not smoking in the US. Back home all our weed is grown locally, so I can punch bongs without any guilt.

I don't care. I honestly don't care. I figure somewhere down the line people suffered to manufacture my smartphone, people suffered in some sweatshop to stitch my Air Max together, people suffered to source the diamonds my girlfriend wears. I feel with every desirable consumer product there is someone, somewhere who has been fucked over to get it to me. And I have become nihilistically numb to it. I don't care where my drugs come from, or what harm they have wrought on their journey to my mirror or bowl, as long as they are of decent quality, and readily & cheaply available to me.

commedieu

Banned
That's what I thought but I don't really have any information to back it up. On a purely anecdotal level, it does not seem like they would have as many users of harder drugs if marijuana were legalized.

Even if the profit margins on harder drugs were higher I'm not sure they would be able to make up the lost revenue. Although that might beg the question - would the violence intensify because cartels would be fighting over a smaller amount of money?

Anecdotal is one thing, the DEMAND isn't there for harder drugs that are just as profitable. It doesn't exist in the drug world. Im not familiar with crime family actions, but they are a business. I'm sure they would implode going into war over the loss of weed. They lose men, they lose money, and there is nothing that will replace it. Weed is a wonder drug for them. Dirt cheap to grow, with a remarkable markup. Nothing wll replace that. They will have to adapt, shrink in size, or go to war with eachother. Either way, its just a symptom of what it will take to make mexico low on the list for getting weed $$$.

I don't care what the cartels do, after they have no weed. They can't get that $ anywhere. and money is the only power they have ultimately. Best men, best weapons, etc. None of that will continue, in the massive way it is now, without pot.

I don't care. I honestly don't care. I figure somewhere down the line people suffered to manufacture my smartphone, people suffered in some sweatshop to stitch my Air Max together, people suffered to source the diamonds my girlfriend wears. I feel with every desirable consumer product there is someone, somewhere who has been fucked over to get it to me. And I have become nihilistically numb to it. I don't care where my drugs come from, or what harm they have wrought on their journey to my mirror or bowl, as long as they are of decent quality, and readily & cheaply available to me.
Good and honest post. Its not just drugs, its a mentality OP. And remember, this mentality applies to OUR OWN PEOPLE IN THE USA. We are poor and starving here. We would have to address that before addressing anything else in the world. Wouldn't you think OP?

MormaPope

Banned

Yup.

Simply being American does make us Americans guilty, whether or not people can acknowledge that or accept that is the issue.

Seeds and stems - Mexican weed is horribly low grade and grown with zero attention. Not my market.

This too. Brick weed or ditch weed is usually the shit that's smuggled across the southern border.

FStop7

Banned
I think about this a lot. Juarez and other border cities are suffering terribly.

You can't wish away the demand.

This is why prohibition is a failure.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
OP is saying grow your own basically and I agree.
I did, it's pretty grand. Also being in California, I make sure any dispensary I visit can give me evidence of where their stuff is grown. I've met quite a few growers that way and know my shops I frequent only buy homegrown bud.

inky

You wrote all that from your cell phone? That's fucking commitment.

Also, I think most are aware of the ongoing cartel issues. That awareness won't stop people from wanting to get high, and they really don't care who their weedman is getting his supply from.

But I'm sure their dealers hand them a certificate of authenticity and do guided visits to the growing sites on Sundays too.

They don't care OP, don't bother.

That will nevera happen.
Never say never. Gay marriage, decriminalization of marijuana, all happening for real despite decades of people saying never.
Drugs are much more profitable being illegal.
Or patented. Either way, it's really a federal thing that keeps the violence high because the money is there as long as it relies upon an uncontrolled underground market inflating its value, increasing the money and distribution for cartels to fight over. Prohibition of something widely available and popular for thousands of years is never going to work without major downsides.

Never say never. Gay marriage, decriminalization of marijuana, all happening for real despite decades of people saying never.

Or patented. Either way, it's really a federal thing that keeps the violence high because the money is there as long as it relies upon an uncontrolled underground market inflating its value, increasing the funds and giving cartels things to fight over.

Damn I'd love to try me some Monsanto buds

I did, it's pretty grand. Also being in California, I make sure any dispensary I visit can give me evidence of where their stuff is grown. I've met quite a few growers that way and know my shops I frequent only buy homegrown bud.

It's like Fair Trade Coffee. LoL

i cant remember the last time i bought pot, but i will continue not to, OP. and if it comes up with my friends i'll advise them the same.

this is pretty much the main reason it should be legal in the US. also, when i was in high school weed was much easier to get than alcohol, so there is probably something to be said for our applying our current alcohol policy to weed. i have heard that THC can cause some problems with brain development in teenagers and that we would have to be careful about that should we move towards legalization. its not an impediment, but something we should keep in mind.

AlexBasch

Honest Q. Whats the difference, for americans, in buying drugs or spending on military actions around the world, financing death for people over the border? I think you're missing a fundamental fact here. Amercan's don't think their actions through the end. Because we are focused on our life quality, and makin the american dream happen.

People have no problem here with OUR OWN poverty and drugproblems. Why do you think people will second guess their back alley pickup on friday night? With that said.
That's why I would like to see legalization happen, support to local economies like some other posters have said, instead of going the shady and unsafe way to get your fix.

I recall reading in the newspaper that Zetas and Sinaloa Cartel had a strong influence in some zones of Texas lately (possibly on gangs, I'll search for more details), and I would hate to see the violence spreading to other zones, financed by the drug money.

That said, I would like to add that I'm not blaming Americans for "killing people over here" or whatnot, it's just that I would like to see the violence wave to cease before it reaches the US. I know your police force will do a better effort to stop it, before it causes any big damage on your soil.

EDIT: So Mexican weed is bad and awful? Holy shit, we can't even do that right. Way to go Mexico!

Bombadil

Banned
When marijuana is legalized in the United States, will those drug cartels lose money or will they just be able to continue their operations in a legal manner?

They're stationed in Mexico and they have the resources, the land, and the low-cost labor to produce marijuana cheaply.

I wonder if major American corporations will be able to undercut them on this. It would be a real shame if the only difference between now and the future is that those cartels would basically become legal corporations. The drug lords would become CEOs and continue to be richer than we can possibly imagine. That's my fear. That's not justice. These guys order their imps to cut off the heads of rival gangs but they also wear tailored suits and drive prestigious cars and travel the world as respected businessmen.

Another poster said that even the most stringent laws with terrible consequences for violators hasn't stopped people from buying and smoking weed.

If weed isn't addicted, what possesses many of these individuals to behave this way? I can understand people with illnesses breaking the law but why do regular people do that? Elliot Ness thought Prohibition was bullshit, too. But he followed the law. The day it was repealed, he went out and got a drink (in the movie). All the people I know who smoke weed have no medical reason to do it.

I do kind of wish it would be legal federally so I could try it. Can't until then though. Although ignorance is bliss right? Don't know what I'm missing.

This reads like an episode of Portlandia.

diunxx

As long as weed remains awesome I will keep smoking it, the blood is in the hand of the governments that want to keep it illegal just to make their pockets fatter.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's like Fair Trade Coffee. LoL
It really is also most if not all marijuana from Mexico is dirt weed and Schwag, barely good enough to be vaped. I can easily say that if you're in a major California city with shops you're looking for a bit better than shreddings of grass.

This reads like an episode of Portlandia.
Did you know, bat guano is an amazing way to treat growing plants? Smells horrid, but the plants are beautiful when they bloom.

When marijuana is legalized in the United States, will those drug cartels lose money or will they just be able to continue their operations in a legal manner?

They're stationed in Mexico and they have the resources, the land, and the low-cost labor to produce marijuana cheaply.

That... is something I didn't consider. If it were legalized I assumed it would be grown in the US and effectively stop coming from Mexico. But you're right. If it's perfectly competitive, and they already have the infrastructure, why wouldn't they stop selling?

I guess the difference would be the price, competition would keep it down. However, that wouldn't stop them from making money still.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That... is something I didn't consider. If it were legalized I assumed it would be grown in the US and effectively stop coming from Mexico. But you're right. If it's perfectly competitive, and they already have the infrastructure, why wouldn't they stop selling?

I guess the difference would be the price, competition would keep it down. However, that wouldn't stop them from making money still.

And buying bullets with that money!

Or patented. Either way, it's really a federal thing that keeps the violence high because the money is there as long as it relies upon an uncontrolled underground market inflating its value, increasing the funds and giving cartels things to fight over.

Gay marriage is not the second most profitable bussines in the planet.

Illegal drugs will remain illegal. Most of them were before until them realized what a loss of money that was.

They even tried whith booze but given the results they had to allowed it again...

That will never happen.

Drugs are much more profitable being illegal.
Washington and Colorado say hi.

I'm from Washington and all the weed I've had in recent years was way too fresh and structurally intact to have been smuggled from Mexico. I feel for you but most users here go for the locally grown stuff and by next year we will be able to buy it in stores.

I feel bad, OP, but the sad fact is that for most people, their opportunity to get high is more important than the lives of the people their buying may impact.

FStop7

Banned

That's one of the big hurdles toward legalization. You can't legitimize a bunch of gangs of cutthroat murderers with vast fortunes.

Saying the US doesn't look outside of its borders is true, but this violence is spreading well inside of our borders. And it may only get worse, particularly in cities like El Paso, San Diego, and LA. It's also conceivable that there could be a full blown refugee crisis if things were to escalate to the point of open, armed conflict between the cartels and the Mexican government.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

There weed is shit. They'd have to learn how to grow it properly to even compete in a normal market.

There can still be a ban on importation of Marijuana as well.

Seeds and stems - Mexican weed is horribly low grade and grown with zero attention. Not my market.

I'm sorry, we can't hear you.

It's actually not horrible or low grade. It's just grown with zero attention allowing polination of the buds. They also don't cure / dry correctly and then they smash and tightly pack it for transportation over the border.

Honestly, living in So Cal, I don't know a person who burn Mexican weed.

I wonder if major American corporations will be able to undercut them on this. It would be a real shame if the only difference between now and the future is that those cartels would basically become legal corporations. The drug lords would become CEOs and continue to be richer than we can possibly imagine. That's my fear. That's not justice. These guys order their imps to cut off the heads of rival gangs but they also wear tailored suits and drive prestigious cars and travel the world as respected businessmen.

Another poster said that even the most stringent laws with terrible consequences for violators hasn't stopped people from buying and smoking weed.

If weed isn't addicted, what possesses many of these individuals to behave this way? I can understand people with illnesses breaking the law but why do regular people do that? Elliot Ness thought Prohibition was bullshit, too. But he followed the law. The day it was repealed, he went out and got a drink (in the movie). All the people I know who smoke weed have no medical reason to do it.

There's an article in the NYT today about Colorado trying to find the right balance between reaping that sweet sweet tax revenue and not charging so much that people go back to the black market.

Assuming they and other eventual state laws aren't that dumb, I don't see why this wouldn't seriously hurt the marijuana black market. Your Prohibition analogy proves the point, in fact: there's no significant alcohol black market anymore. People prefer to buy things legally.

Phreaker

I don't know many that smoke pot from Mexico, so I don't know what to say really. It seems you don't believe this when people tell you that.

It's actually not horrible or low grade. It's just grown with zero attention allowing polination of the buds. They also don't cure / dry correctly and then they smash and tightly pack it for transportation over the border.

Honestly, living in So Cal, I don't know a person who burn Mexican weed.

Yeah, certainly connoisseurs of pot wouldn't touch Mexican weed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom