• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marihuana users... read this, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter if it's a movie. Is it scientifically impossible for the drug cartel to make a more addictive drug? They could even producer other synthetic drugs.

Cartels will not suddenly lose power. They will adjust, I think.

Well ... I guess you can raise your demand amongst the already existing user base, but I don't think you're adding to the user base by simply making a more addictive and purer product. You're just shifting customers away from a competitor to your product.

In addition to this, countries who've tried decriminalization have seen usage rates go down. Money is spent in treatment and education programs. When you're caught you have to go in front of a panel and talk about your drug problem. It's a smarter approach than incarceration and it's had positive results. If what worked for portugal worked for the US, one would see usage rates drop hurting profits even more.

-Eddman-

And even if we legalized every known drug, there will always be a black market for a "dangerous, forbidden thing" because that shit brings excitement to the boring lives of a lot of pleople living in developed countries. It's human nature, sadly.

Anyway, i do find it funny how some people say that they don't care who gets fucked as long as they get their drugs/electronics/whatever fast and cheaply, but at the same time, they say the mexican government is to blame for everything because they don't care about people as long as they get money. What's the definition of corruption then?

While Mexico does indeed need to dig itself out of the hole, it's not like the honest people can do much about the situation right now, that's the worst thing of it.

Yeah but there is also good and bad meth. People want the best. This applies to all drugs with varying potency.
while this is true, 'pure meth' isn't going to take dedicated consumers from alcohol or marijuana. Cigarettes could be 10c a pack for the purest of the pure, but I'm not going to smoke them.

and like count says, the hardcore junkies are not going to care about 96% vs 99.99999% purity lol.

Asimov

Banned
I'm glad all you guys get a certificate of origin from your dealers. Enjoy.

I just hope one single person understand my message. Jus one will be enough.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Breaking Bad is bogus, because fiends don't really care about quality.

Still solid entertainment, though.

That's how I've always seen it. Pot smokers aim for quality because they aren't going to freak out and have horrible withdrawals if they don't get their "fix". The average junkie doesn't give a shit if new higher quality meth is out, especially if it costs more. Not to mention this is bad news for the dealers because they won't be buying as much.

Supply and command...

inky

It's weird that the call is on potheads to do the responsible thing by not buying dope instead asking officials to be responsible by not taking bribes.

Well, I don't think anyone is advocating for instead. Why can't both happen?

-Eddman-

Even if we could tell with 100% accuracy the origin of GAF weed, I doubt the mid-high class niche population of a videogame forum represents a large share of the US stoners...

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
My American friends. First, let me start with some background.

I'm from Mexico and I live in the border with Texas. I have a B1/B2 Visa, so I get to go Texas almost 3 times per week for shopping (it's like 10 minutes away from my house). I also work for a multi-national company and I get to travel a lot, specially to the USA (I will go to NY in May and LA in June). So, I'm very used to the American culture. I have tons of friends in the USA too and I have traveled to different states in the country (more than most Americans).

And I think the USA is a great country. I really do.

But there is one thing I don't like about it. Most people in the USA are really not aware of the problems of the rest world. The First World Problem meme is indeed real. And I don't blame you. You live in a great country with a lot of diversity and culture and sometimes is not really necessary for you to learn things from other countries, other languages, etc.

My country is facing one of their times in history. The drug war has killed thousands and thousands of people (mostly bad guys) but a lot of innocent people has died too. We always had problems with cartels, but innocent regular people was never worried about them. But everything changed a few years ago (around 2009) for two main reasons: our then President Felipe Calderon was the first one to truly declared war to the cartels and two cartels( the Z and Gulf Cartel) became enemies (they were allies before).

So, the violence increased. A lot. They started sending messages each other by killing gang rivals (behading, hanging them in bridges, etc). And a lot of innocent people has died since then (collateral damage).

The problem is not in all Mexico, but I would say around 40% or 50% of the country is in danger and the rest in safe. But the border is definitely the most dangerous zone. And you know why?

The border is extremely valuable for the drug cartels. They want easy access to the USA. They want control of the territory. All this killing, all this terror, is just for drugs and money. They want your dollars.

Look, Mexico is really not a big consumer. I don't think it is a lucrative market for them to sell small quantities to junkies in the country. They earn money by selling industrial quanitites to the USA.

Just read this:

It's a $50 billion dollar business and half of that money comes from cannabis.

Don't get me wrong. I really think that marihuana is way more safe than tobacco or alcohol. But it is illegal. And every time you buy marihuana, you are basically giving money to the cartels. Those dollars could have purchased a bullet that killed an innocent person.

Now, I obviously don't expect you guys to stop smoking pot, but read about the problems my country is facing just because of the drug cartels.

And don't get fooled by your dealers. 95% of the people I tell all this, they tell me the typical "I don't smoke that Mexican shit... blah blah... I just smoke this organic USA pot grown by friendly American hippies". More than 70% of all the drugs in the USA are from Mexico.

If only one person stops consuming pot because of this, it will be enough for me.

And when weed becomes legal in the future and it doesn't come from drug cartels, I will buy a kilo of it and I will smoke with you, guys. But until then, I will not.

Thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/04/01/are-mexicos-drug-cartels-behind-chicagos-insane-bloodbath/

I'm not American but that certainly was an interesting read. I shall be looking into this.

Thank you.

You get a certify of origin for your chocolate? iPod? Chic-Fil-A? Nikes? Cruelty free meat? Quinoa?

What about what he is saying is wrong? He's talking about a specific issue that effects him and where he lives. Maybe some people don't know what they are buying and will look a little closer. Most won't give a shit and some don't buy that weed regardless but there is nothing wrong with him letting people know.

Yeah but there is also good and bad meth. People want the best. This applies to all drugs with varying potency.

Yes this is true, I have seen many fiends wander the streets only picking up the highest of quality.

Sometimes they just can't get that high quality shit and they just have to do without it for the day!

Bombadil

Banned
Then argue using those instead. Breaking Bad is fictional; you can't use the things they do to prove anything.

I did. I said what if a drug cartel could maintain its business by engineering newer, more addictive drugs?

I also brought up the idea that cartels would go the legal route. They have the infrastructure set up.

Also, for those people saying that Mexican weed is inferior, I don't think that matters for many casual users and newer users.

Just as an anecdote, I remember my friends discussing how they smoked really shitty weed when they were in high school.

As they got older they developed a better taste in what to get. It was the same with alcohol. They started out with the watered down beers and then moved on to microbrews and hard liquor.

So a market still exists for Mexican drugs. People who lack experience in the matter will go for the cheap stuff the same way millions flock to McDonald's or Hardee's.

Switch Back 9

Even if we could tell with 100% accuracy the origin of GAF weed, I doubt the mid-high class niche population of a videogame forum represents a large share of the US stoners...

I think it's an excellent representation actually, especially for this discussion.

What about what he is saying is wrong? He's talking about a specific issue that effects him and where he lives. Maybe some people don't know what they are buying and will look a little closer. Most won't give a shit and some don't buy that weed regardless but there is nothing wrong with him letting people know.

Nothing, but calling for people to stop using a product because of the human toll while using multiple other products that likely have a far greater toll makes him a selfish, short sighted hypocrite

Seanspeed

Banned
Its not the same situation for a couple reasons.

First off, meth isn't popular with more well-off people like weed and cocaine and whatnot is. Its more on a level with crack in terms of the image it has, deserved or not. The target market doesn't have a lot of money and meth isn't cheap. So when addicts get an opportunity to buy some crap stuff at $30-40/gram instead of the more normal $60/gram for the pure stuff, they take it. Would they like the good stuff? Sure, but they're worried more about quantity than quality.

Breaking Bad was totally off when it came to this. Pure stuff is useful for selling to dealers, who can cut it down and make better profit margins, but in terms of 'demand on the street', its totally off the mark.

you realize that if marijuana were legalized, there would be plenty of companies making shitty, cheap, and legal, product, right? it's not as if legal weed would exclusively be the best shit out there.

I did. I said what if a drug cartel could maintain its business by engineering newer, more addictive drugs?

I also brought up the idea that cartels would go the legal route. They have the infrastructure set up.

Also, for those people saying that Mexican weed is inferior, I don't think that matters for many casual users and newer users.

Just as an anecdote, I remember my friends discussing how they smoked really shitty weed when they were in high school.

As they got older they developed a better taste in what to get. It was the same with alcohol. They started out with the watered down beers and then moved on to microbrews and hard liquor.

So a market still exists for Mexican drugs. People who lack experience in the matter will go for the cheap stuff the same way millions flock to McDonald's or Hardee's.

lol ... Hey I was following you:

Well ... I guess you can raise your demand amongst the already existing user base, but I don't think you're adding to the user base by simply making a more addictive and purer product. You're just shifting customers away from a competitor to your product.

In addition to this, countries who've tried decriminalization have seen usage rates go down. Money is spent in treatment and education programs. When you're caught you have to go in front of a panel and talk about your drug problem. It's a smarter approach than incarceration and it's had positive results. If what worked for portugal worked for the US, one would see usage rates drop hurting profits even more.

America has a long history of using trade tariffs and farming subsidies to protect their local agricultural produce. If weed were a thriving legal business you can bet your bottom dollar that buying American would be the cheaper option.

stufte

Pretty sure the cartels won't just magically go away if weed isn't profitable anymore, they'll just find something else to do and still be a huge problem for your country.

Breaking Bad was totally off when it came to this. Pure stuff is useful for selling to dealers, who can cut it down and make better profit margins, but in terms of 'demand on the street', its totally off the mark.

Yeah ... the only reason a dealer wants something pure is so he can cut it with more crap increasing his profit margins. End users don't see pure product.

Nothing, but calling for people to stop using a product because of the human toll while using multiple other products that likely have a far greater toll makes him a selfish, short sighted hypocrite

Focusing on those things does not make him or his points illegitimate and really have nothing to do with what's being said here.

glow

Banned
Yes this is true, I have seen many fiends wander the streets only picking up the highest of quality.

Sometimes they just can't get that high quality shit and they just have to do without it for the day!

Wow, you really twisted my words. Did I say they wouldn't buy anything if they couldn't have the best?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I live in Texas, but I think my weed is too good to be Mexico weed. People here use it as a derogatory term for weed.

Switch Back 9

Really? that's interesting. I was under the impression that weed was seen as a "poor people" drug, like in Mexico.

It's strictly a middle class affair where I come from. Well, I'm sure poor people smoke as well but the main demographic and target market for the majority of sales is definitely middle class.

J-Rod

Well, I don't think anyone is advocating for instead. Why can't both happen?

Well, the topic is addressed specifically to users and a lot of posts seem to insinuate that buyers are the core of the problem. Also, the post I replied to made note that less buyers would lead to less corruption, but you could just as easily point out that less corruption would mean less everything.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I'm glad all you guys get a certificate of origin from your dealers. Enjoy.

I just hope one single person understand my message. Jus one will be enough.
Just one will be enough? That goes against the entire point you made in the OP! What the fuck?

Izayoi

Banned
I don't smoke that Mexican shit... I just smoke this organic USA pot grown by friendly American hippies
Yeah, Mexican dirt weed isn't exactly a big thing when you've got tons of locally grown medical-grade ganja floating around. And boy is it some good shit.

Anyone who can't tell the difference between Mexican weed and medical-grade stuff is fucking retarded, by the way. I would imagine most can tell.

Zeke

Used to be real easy to find shitty brick weed here over the past couple of years its been a bit harder but high quality bud seems to be every where. Now with Colorado legalizing it, its going to have a bigger presence (I hope!). This is my experience based on connects here tho. I for one welcome the increased domestic supply.

Izayoi

Banned
Now with Colorado legalizing it, its going to have a bigger presence (I hope!). This is my experience based on connects here tho. I for one welcome the increased domestic supply.
Yeah, brick weed is almost completely gone from Washington state, as far as I can tell. Not that much cheaper than our now-legal medical stuff, and it tastes like fucking dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom