• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Community Thread: Anything and everything Super Mario

Ninja Dom

Craziest Mario collaboration game? Could it be: NBA Street V3 Gamecube (2005)

Mario, Luigi, Princess playing basketball against NBA Pro's.

nba-street-v3-20050110104511244-1019890.jpg

nba-street-v3-20050110104513478-1019893.jpg

nba-street-v3-20050110104512666-1019892.jpg

game_boy

Banned

Those screenshots look so weird without the "built-in" AA of a fuzzy CRT TV connected with a composite video cable. Amazing how far games have come.

Ninja Dom

I was rather tempted to buy that game back in the day simply because of the Mario stuff…

While I don't own it myself, I absolutely love this. It looks absolutely ridiculous and its amazing!

I know next to nothing about this game and only saw it yesterday while browsing Amazon. I can't remember it releasing and I was a big GameCube fan. Strange. I remember the Soul Calibur 2 with Link but can't at all remember this NBA Street.

I played the free demo of 'Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympics' last night on Wii U. It includes Football (Soccer) on the demo. Not bad at all, really. It's no Mario Strikers Charged but it's definitely fun for a while. The sports that require button mashing (like swimming) are not so good.

luchadork

currently doing a playthrough of all the mario games. up to yoshi's island. i never played it as a kid. but i heard its really good. but for some reason i cant really get into it. what am i missing? maybe its because im playing it straight after the perfection that is mario world. this one just seems a bit all over the place. the levels are a bit more sprawling/exploratory as opposed to platforming. secrets are replaced with collect a thoning. the yoshi double jump thing feels very imprecise. and the shooting mechanic just seems a bit ham fisted.

Ninja Dom

currently doing a playthrough of all the mario games. up to yoshi's island. i never played it as a kid. but i heard its really good. but for some reason i cant really get into it. what am i missing? maybe its because im playing it straight after the perfection that is mario world. this one just seems a bit all over the place. the levels are a bit more sprawling/exploratory as opposed to platforming. secrets are replaced with collect a thoning. the yoshi double jump thing feels very imprecise. and the shooting mechanic just seems a bit ham fisted.

I played through Yoshi's Island on SNES, a year or so after it first came out. I was almost locked in my room for a week and 100%'ed the whole game.

I haven't played it since but I remember it being an absolute joy to play. The Yoshi jump takes a little to get used to but they nailed it. He's initially dragged down by his weight but eventually gains height after kicking his legs. So when you double jump there's a brief split second moment where you're falling before you gain that height.

Stick with it. Yoshi's Island is also gaming perfection too.
How about this for the GameCube. Always wanted one.. (Known as Mario Dance Mix in the UK)

61JS9RJ2TXL.jpg

dance-dance-revolution-mario-mix-20051026044520202.jpg

Yes I was definitely aware of this one. It wasn't a game I wanted but it's probably a collectors item now.

Does anybody remember the Mario & Yoshi dolls in Metal Gear Solid - The Twin Snakes on GameCube?

That was kind of a weird period for Mario. Between Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy he was basically stuck in spinoff/cameo hell there.

The Gamecube era was when Nintendo really started licensing their characters out more, right? Mario gang in NBA Street, "Little Mac" (AKA the blonde dude from Super Punch-Out!! SNES) in Fight Night, Link in Soul Calibur 2, stuff like DDR Mario Mix, etc

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
That was kind of a weird period for Mario. Between Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy he was basically stuck in spinoff/cameo hell there.

The Gamecube era was when Nintendo really started licensing their characters out more, right? Mario gang in NBA Street, "Little Mac" (AKA the blonde dude from Super Punch-Out!! SNES) in Fight Night, Link in Soul Calibur 2, stuff like DDR Mario Mix, etc

Yeah, 2005 was a particularly sad year for Mario, and really Nintendo in general. Yes, by this point they did start whoring off their characters way more than they did in the past.

As if Mario hadn't gone through enough embarrassment that year, it was around the same time that Nintendo decided to put all their good assets into working on a goddamned peripheral required Donkey Kong game instead of a main line Mario platformer. Nintendo was really, really dumb back then.

Oblivion

I had an annual tradition where I'd play Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Wii in December after finals. But I can't find my copy of SMG anywhere. :(

Zero83

Mario was in several third party games during the last few years of the GameCube. NBA Street, SSX 4, Dance Dance Revolution and probably others as well. There was also a new Mario Party coming out in time for Christmas every year. To me it seemed like they desperately tried to shoe-horn Mario into every game possible for the GameCube to pick up in sales.

Oblivion

Do you prefer New Super Mario Bros Wii to the Wii U version?

I actually haven't really played the U version all the way sadly. I was hoping to get on that this year. But from what I hear, the general consensus seems to be that the U version is superior. If so, then I'm in for a treat cause I loved NSMBW.

Ninja Dom

tempted to buy NSMB2. I played nearly all the 2D Marios and tbh, it does seem like a fun game at least...

Of the mainline Mario platforming games there are two thatI have never played before, and one that I never completed.

Super Mario Galaxy, never completed.
Super Mario Galaxy 2, never played and don't own
New Super Mario Bros 2, never played and don't own.

The Wii was a strange gaming time for me. My first daughter was born during Wii launch and I had another daughter in 2008, so I really didn't dedicate too much time to gaming.

Ninja Dom

Screenshots I took from unboxing videos and gif I made of the faceplates that come with the Black Friday 3DS Black Edition:

Looks superb!!!

I was asking in the $99 3DS thread about the cover plates on their own, cos they look so good, as I already have a New 3DS (white).

I'm having a lot of fun making these Mario Pokemon. It would be really cool if someone mad a hack with mario enemies.

mechakoopa.gif

Mecha Koopa (Genderless species)
Steel/Fairy
Ability: Aftermath

HP: 60 ATK: 70 DEF: 85 SP ATK: 90 SP DEF: 100

Movelist via level up
Tackle
Defense Curl
Spark
Self-Destruct
Chatter
Flatter
Confuse Ray
Flame Burst
Work Up
Play Rough
Charm
Gear Up
Metal Claw
Explosion
Charge Beam
Iron Defense
Mirror Shot
Flamethrower
Metal Sound
Hyper Beam

TMs
Thunder Wave
Flash
Trick Room
Dragon Claw
Taunt
Return
Frustration
Torment
Taunt
Rest
False Swipe
Volt Switch
Hyper Beam
Substitute

NathanS

tempted to buy NSMB2. I played nearly all the 2D Marios and tbh, it does seem like a fun game at least...

What do you want out of a Mario game? If you're looking for a game where playing through the normal single player will be very challenging and very obviously distinctly different from other 2d Mario normal single player games. You'll probably feel its a weaker entry.

If on the other hand you can enjoy twist already existing elements in new often subtly creative ways, and would enjoy playing the Coin rush; finding the ways you can wring every coin out of each level and keep playing a set of levels over and over to get the max of 30,000 coins in a run then it is amazing.

Does anyone else like the much-maligned Mario and Sonic at the such-and-such Olympics games, or is it just me?

Can't believe that the Sochi game didn't come out on the 3DS, although I love the Wii U version.

Ninja Dom

Does anyone else like the much-maligned Mario and Sonic at the such-and-such Olympics games, or is it just me?

Can't believe that the Sochi game didn't come out on the 3DS, although I love the Wii U version.

Are these games fun? Cos I had a ball with the Soccer event that's in the demo for Rio Olympics 2016.

If nothing else the demo for the recent one had me performing some slick evasive flips in Rugby and Soccer with Eggman which looked hilarious, he was the real MVP.

tolkir

I got first volume of Super Mario-kun. It just released in Spain.

Super Mario Adventures came two days ago too. Casually it has the same name than Super Mario-kun in Spain but in English.

dsc_0113j0sau.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun making these Mario Pokemon. It would be really cool if someone mad a hack with mario enemies.

mechakoopa.gif

Mecha Koopa (Genderless species)
Steel/Fairy
Ability: Aftermath

HP: 60 ATK: 70 DEF: 85 SP ATK: 90 SP DEF: 100

Movelist via level up
Tackle
Defense Curl
Spark
Self-Destruct
Chatter
Flatter
Confuse Ray
Flame Burst
Work Up
Play Rough
Charm
Gear Up
Metal Claw
Explosion
Charge Beam
Iron Defense
Mirror Shot
Flamethrower
Metal Sound
Hyper Beam

TMs
Thunder Wave
Flash
Trick Room
Dragon Claw
Taunt
Return
Frustration
Torment
Taunt
Rest
False Swipe
Volt Switch
Hyper Beam
Substitute

What we really need is someone to come up with absurd and depressing pokedex entries for these Mario Pokemon.

Mecha Koopa: "This automated facsimile lives only if it's gear is turned by a trainer. If the gear ever stops spinning it can never move again."

The second game entry: "Despite appearing artificial, this creature is highly emotional and longs to be a real Koopa, even going so far as to collapse into a throwable object when jumped on, though its hard metal exterior prevents any real damage. In this way, the Mecha Koopa often sacrifices itself due to its overwhelming desire to be a real creature."

Are these games fun? Cos I had a ball with the Soccer event that's in the demo for Rio Olympics 2016.

I thought the London one on 3DS was disappointing - the events were over too soon. The Rio one is much better - as you say, the soccer event is great fun.

I love them for a quick pick-up-and-play. Not bothered about the Sonic characters, though.

Ninja Dom

I completed Luigi's Mansion 2 today. It took me 20 hours to play through, and exactly one calendar month.

Great game, I loved it. So much charm and the levels do get quite tough as you get deeper into the game. I really like the cutscenes as you rarely get cutscenes in a 'Mario' game. And there's plenty of them.

As for Mario,
he makes a big appearance at the ending.
I bought this game during the Halloween Nintendo sale and it was definitely worth it. Great game (again).

Peltz

Its better than the stuff in SMM.

It's clearly made by professionals is what I mean. But don't expect that magical warm fuzzy feeling you got from playing SMW as a kid. It's not that great of a game.

Lazaro

Exactly 2 weeks away:
super-mario-run.jpg

Super Mario Run with Creator Shigeru Miyamoto
at Apple Store SoHo

Apple Store said:
Join the video game designer and creator famously known for Super Mario Bros. and other iconic Nintendo games for an insightful chat on the making of Super Mario Run. He’ll be in conversation with TV personality Katie Linendoll to share the importance of fun and the inspiration behind the gameplay. Then you’ll get an exclusive look at Super Mario Run before it’s released.

https://concierge.apple.com/events/R032/super-mario-run/6210238122077620744/en_US

FireFox516

Neo Member
Oh man, I remember seeing that NBA Street crossover in Nintendo Power way back when and wanting to get it just for that (despite having no interest in most non-Mario sports games). I actually picked it up for a couple of bucks a last year at a flea market, but haven't sat down to give it a go yet.

I finished Color Splash today at around 30 hours, give or take. Enjoyable game, and I enjoyed it, despite its combat-system feeling like it was caught between two worlds. Much like Sticker Star before it, the level design of the worlds was the real star for me, as I had a blast just making my way through all the little vignettes that each world revolved around (
crossing the sea and exploring the two islands being my favorites
). The old-school, vaudeville-esque style of the soundtrack was wonderful, and I absolutely loved the paper-meets-cardboard aesthetic of the levels, themselves. I know that's been a point of contention for a lot of people, but for me, it gives the series a lot more personality.

The battle system was easily my least favorite aspect of the game, though. It felt tedious always cycling through the line of 99 cards for each fight (why they didn't keep the same page layout from Sticker Star baffles me), and some of the "clever" battles drove me up all the wall with how many cards I wasted in one turn because the game decided they wouldn't work at this moment (
that freaking circus-top, man
). I felt like Jump and Hammer should have just been set abilities you always have to use, ala the first two games, with the more special attacks being relegated to cards.

It sort of felt like this series has been having a bit of an identity crisis with these last few entries, as opposed to the Mario & Luigi series, which is far more consistent in its mission statement. I hope they either double-down on the RPG route and expand and evolve on the systems laid out in the first two, or just lose the turn-based combat altogether and make a action-RPG like Super Paper Mario, since the story and world are the most interesting things.

Speaking of which, Prisma Island was the most idealized world a Mario game has had since Super Mario Sunshine and TTYD. Everything felt organic, and levels connected seamlessly together. I loved it.

As for all the Toads, well... can we just have some other NPCs inhabiting these places? I know this has been beaten to death, but having played through this, Paper Jam and Sticker Star within the last 3 months, I'd love it they stopped emphasizing them so much, especially when there's so many different stories you could tell with other character types. I played through Dream Team earlier this year, and to me, that game feels more refreshing than these last three RPGs mostly because it has different races inhabiting Pillo Isle.

I just finished up getting all the Town Flags a moment ago (
I guess there's a secret ending you unlock by doing so?
) and I'm debating on whether or not I want to finish up grabbing the last 25 or so Enemy Cards I need for the museum before going back and beating the last boss again for full 100% completion.

Anywhoo, good game, and I hope this game's lackluster sales doesn't prevent them from developing more. Mario RPGs are consistently some of the most enjoyable games for me, and glaring flaws aside, this one was no different.

b3b0p

I got first volume of Super Mario-kun. It just released in Spain.

Super Mario Adventures came two days ago too. Casually it has the same name than Super Mario-kun in Spain but in English.

dsc_0113j0sau.jpg

I also got this, I preordered it. I also have the original. Cover is different, but from what I looked at quick glance, the content is the same.

Same for the Zelda, but this is a Mario thread.

maxcriden

Anywhoo, good game, and I hope this game's lackluster sales doesn't prevent them from developing more. Mario RPGs are consistently some of the most enjoyable games for me, and glaring flaws aside, this one was no different.

Glad to hear you dug it! Please post your thoughts in the OT as well, I'm sure people would be pleased to read them.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1290446

BTW, if you're going for enemy cards definitely use a guide. Even with the increased drop rate post-final boss they can still be tricky to get. And if you need any specific card, especially Sombrero Guy, and are having trouble, use a Shy Bandit card for the finishing blow and you'll be guaranteed a card. There are guides on GameFAQs and I think on Reddit also. Oh, and if you haven't already, definitely check out the manual's secrets page for some awesome behind the scenes stuff.

Top Bottom