• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour - Final Character Roster Revealed (spoilers)

Lijik

Super into being able to play as Kamek
Dudes been getting the short shrift ever since he was replaced by Wario in Mario Kart 64

Mory Dunz

Um.....You should actually be more likely to know who Kamek is if you're 30+.

It reminds me of when people say "DBZ? Don't know what that is because I'm not 12."

(Kamek was in the latest "Paper Mario" though.)

Kinsei

Banned
I'm a bit disappointed that there is no regular koopa, Rosalina, or a shy guy , but Kamek more than makes up for it. Hopefully he is unlockable in MK8 as well, and becomes a mainstay in the Mario spin-offs.

Timeaisis

KAMEK! Get hyped!

I hope his shots have a cool magic trail attached to them. Y'know the multi-colored triangle, circle, square thing. Y'all know what I'm talking about.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
JUST GIVE IT TO ME ALREADY

ibwX8sbblGP0pt.gif

It's a travesty anytime Birdo gets a slot over anyone. Especially the best Mario 2 enemy.

I'm going to have to push back on that. Birdo is always, always an awesome addition to any Nintendo roster. She has one of the most interesting backstories in all of videogames: she's a transgender woman, from a time when this was nowhere near achieving societal acceptance. I remember in my Super Mario Bros 2 manual, Birdo was given a description that spelled out her transgender status (but from an ignorant perspective) and I immediately identified with her, at 8 years old..

Like the transgender community, Birdo isn't always included (I missed her in Mario Tennis Open and Mario Kart 7 a lot), but when she is, some of us are happy that someone like us is actually in a videogame and being treated respectfully, while many others loathe her and wish she'd stop showing up ever. However, Nintendo love her. They went into her story a bit more deeply in Captain Rainbow on Wii, as well. They even gave her the dignity of a long-term relationship with another of Nintendo's trans* characters, the male-identified, asexually-reproducing, romantically-inclined Yoshi. She is one of my favorite trans* characters in gaming, due to her introduction during my early childhood and persistent growth in character.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm going to have to push back on that. Birdo is always, always an awesome addition to any Nintendo roster. She has one of the most interesting backstories in all of videogames: she's a transgender woman, from a time when this was nowhere near achieving societal acceptance. I remember in my Super Mario Bros 2 manual, Birdo was given a description that spelled out her transgender status (but from an ignorant perspective) and I immediately identified with her, at 8 years old..

Like the transgender community, Birdo isn't always included (I missed her in Mario Tennis Open and Mario Kart 7 a lot), but when she is, some of us are happy that someone like us is actually in a videogame and being treated respectfully, while many others loathe her and wish she'd stop showing up ever. However, Nintendo love her. They went into her story a bit more deeply in Captain Rainbow on Wii, as well. They even gave her the dignity of a long-term relationship with Nintendo's other trans* character, the gender-neutral and (literally) asexual(ly producing), romantic Yoshi. She may be the best transgender character in gaming--if only because there are so precious few.

I love Birdo, and I'm glad she's back, but she's not even the best trans Mario character, let alone in gaming as a whole. Vivian will probably always be my favorite trans character in gaming, she is awesome. I really wish Nintendo hadn't censored her in NA.

They even gave her the dignity of a long-term relationship with Nintendo's other trans* character, the gender-neutral and (literally) asexual(ly producing), romantic Yoshi.
The main green Yoshi is male. Camelot likes making Yoshi shoot rainbows, though, which continues in this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi's not 100% straight. :p

Like the transgender community, Birdo isn't always included (I missed her in Mario Tennis Open and Mario Kart 7 a lot), but when she is, some of us are happy that someone like us is actually in a videogame and being treated respectfully, while many others loathe her and wish she'd stop showing up ever. However, Nintendo love her. They went into her story a bit more deeply in Captain Rainbow on Wii, as well. They even gave her the dignity of a long-term relationship with Nintendo's other trans* character, the gender-neutral and (literally) asexual(ly producing), romantic Yoshi. She may be the best transgender character in gaming--if only because there are so precious few.
The only thing that's good about her is that she's transgender. My problem with her is that she's just an ugly Yoshi design wise.

Kouriozan

No Metal Mario is also weird.
He was in a past Mario Golf and now in Mario Kart 7 & 8, are we sure there is no more secret character?

Could be, I'm pretty sure he was a secret character in the latest 3DS mario tennis game.
He was a QR Code character. QR Codes are what secretly turned the game into Yoshi Tennis Open. Not sure if this character select screen can accommodate QR codes, though.

The main green Yoshi is male. Camelot likes making Yoshi shoot rainbows, though, which continues in this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshi's not 100% straight. :p

You're correct. Yoshi identifies as male. I'd made the assumption that because he reproduces asexually, that he would identify as gender-neutral, and didn't verify with other sources after reading a forum post that a google search had turned up. I'll correct my original post.

:) Haha, that's cute. I believe the rainbow could be a symbol of allyship, queer self-identification, or both. He's romantically involved with Birdo, whose gender identity has been portrayed a variety of different ways across the trans*feminine expression spectrum, and we don't know about any other romantic/sexual attractions he may or may not have had.

I love Birdo, and I'm glad she's back, but she's not even the best trans Mario character, let alone in gaming as a whole. Vivian will probably always be my favorite trans character in gaming, she is awesome. I really wish Nintendo hadn't censored her in NA.

I won't disagree with your expression of that opinion--that is a respectable opinion to have, and we should all be more aware of the different trans* characters in all of gaming.

One thing I really appreciate about Nintendo is that they have always had several characters with transgender and gender non-conforming/variant identities and experiences. Birdo, Vivian, and Little Mac are not the only ones--and the
gender-bending
teased in a certain segment of StarTropics was appreciated. They haven't always handled it the best, and their policy of allowing different regions to handle it their own way is disappointing, but the fact stands that they have regularly introduced non-binary, non-cis characters with their own stories and aspirations, beginning decades before that was even openly discussed in the context of gaming, and are far more likely to explore the difficulties, experiences, struggles, and triumphs that trans* people experience than use them as a one-faceted plot device or ill-conceived punchline. I hope that as time goes on, they continue to do so in a timeless way.

bumpkin

What time does the eShop usually update?

Can't wait to get my hands on the demo. The game is pretty much already an insta-buy for me, but being able to sample it before is always a bonus.

Kinsei

Banned
What time does the eShop usually update?

Can't wait to get my hands on the demo. The game is pretty much already an insta-buy for me, but being able to sample it before is always a bonus.

In the US I'm pretty sure it updates at 12 PM EDT, but it might be 1PM EDT and I'm just remembering incorrectly. No clue for EU.

Top Bottom