• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

505zoom

Circuit/League's started: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=820399

That and we managed to break the Handicap Tournaments. :3

Haha. Don't tell me ya'll are resorting to some dirty sandbaggin trickery now. :p

League sounds interesting. Wish we could eliminate the lurkers playing altogether though.

I'll definitely be playing some this week... was flustered trying to get out the door with all my gear I needed for the tourney and forgot my 3DS charger in the process. Oh well, real golf is more fun anyway and my eyes/thumbs probably needed the break. :)

cube444

I nailed a 76 foot putt in one of my matches. What's the longest that you guys have hit?

Still no hole in one but have come close on some par 3 courses with super back spins just narrowly missing the cup.

EDIT: Just got a Hole in One on the second hole of Sky Island "One-on, One-Putt" but I don't really count that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Oh, that's good to know. Don't have everything unlocked (do on the right side, but the left side is maybe 30-40% unlocked), but have ~240Y, straight, with tons of sweet spot and control. Probably don't need as much sweet spot or control, but I don't want to hamstring myself if I'm stuck in a bunker or something and need to get out without having to be *perfect* on the shot.

Can't you just pop it into 'auto' mode in that situation? Does auto ever completely fluff a shot?

Can't you just pop it into 'auto' mode in that situation? Does auto ever completely fluff a shot?
Auto won't let you select clubs that you have to be absolutely perfect on. So having more sweet spot increases the number of clubs you can select from when using Auto if he was going to go that route.

Clownboat

Banned
Does this game have a campaign mode as fleshed out as the old mario golf for GBC?

No. But it's like halfway in between that and having no campaign system. You can run around the Castle Club and talk with NPCs, take lessons and do shot/approach/putt challenges, and do the one-on/one-putt challenge. You have to do the tournaments in order, and challenges unlock progressively harder courses and Star characters. Meanwhile, you earn new gear for your Mii throughout all this, which increases your drive a bit and has a minimal impact on other stats.

The ability to jump into multiplayer anytime makes up for most of the shortcomings. I can see this game lasting a long time for Mario Golf enthusiasts.

Anustart

Fuck putting challenge extra. Shit is so inconsistent. You can be wide left first try, move over one notch right, go 50 ft off to the right side. Sometimes a certain power gets you up a hill, sometimes it sends you flying 100 ft past the hole.

octopiggy

What are the rules for swapping world flag outfits? Do I need to be wearing all my flag gear to give it to others? Do my opponents have to be wearing theirs and using their Mii?

octopiggy

So where is the next batch of DLC?!?!?!?!

Somebody mentioned it is due to be released in "May". My guess is that it will arrive once the second DLC trial finishes, which is... in one day.

What are the rules for swapping world flag outfits? Do I need to be wearing all my flag gear to give it to others? Do my opponents have to be wearing theirs and using their Mii?

So I just played a match where nobody used their Mii but still got some gear. But I still don't know if it needs to be equipped on their Mii (which they didn't use).

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Oh wow, I was just playing the Gaf Tour Tourney in Peach Gardens and discovered that in Hole 1 if you hit the ball into the big sucken pipe off to the right, it pops up and shoots the ball onto the green... Awesome.

Oh wow, I was just playing the Gaf Tour Tourney in Peach Gardens and discovered that in Hole 1 if you hit the ball into the big sucken pipe off to the right, it pops up and shoots the ball onto the green... Awesome.
That's why the Adjusted Par is -12 instead of -11. :p

Hole 7 on DK Jungle has something similar and is why I went -12 there, too. Just wait for Jascii's ghost or something to do it.

There seems to be a Par 4 on DK Jungle that has something like that too so I might have to put the AP at -13 for that course. I can't wait until we get to the courses that don't have much of this nonsense.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

Hole 7 on DK Jungle has something similar and is why I went -12 there, too. Just wait for Jascii's ghost or something to do it.

There seems to be a Par 4 on DK Jungle that has something like that too so I might have to put the AP at -13 for that course. I can't wait until we get to the courses that don't have much of this nonsense.

Oh, so that's what AP means... Wow, that's rough though. Even some people in the top 10 haven't reached -12.

I expect only a small amount of players to actually reach the Adjusted Par. The AP indicates what I consider to be a flawless run, assuming no chip-ins or putting in the ball from off the green.

My expectations for making the cut are pretty much -9 for Par 9's and -18 for most Par 18's. Going above that is still good, though, because you'll have a higher seed in Top Cut.

Please don't. I worked so, so hard for my -12 in DK Jungle. ;__;

Kouriozan

I need nabbit, please be this week!
And no way I'm getting gold trophies this time, f*cked up handicap tournament, unpredictable double peoria and impossible world tournament, -16 isn't enough, this'll be fun x)

Owensboro

I still really hate that you can replay tournaments over and over to get better and better scores. If quitting out of the costume challenges locks you out, then quitting out of tourneys should lock you out too :(

AEREC

I still really hate that you can replay tournament's over and over to get better and better scores. If quitting out of the costume challenges locks you out, then quitting out of tourneys should lock you out too :(

Ya...that is a little annoying. Would make the higher scores more meaningful knowing that the top players probably didn't retry their game tons of times. It should at least be one of the options when creating a tournament...number of restarts allowed.

Owensboro

Ya...that is a little annoying. Would make the higher scores more meaningful knowing that the top players probably didn't retry their game tons of times. It should at least be one of the options when creating a tournament...number of restarts allowed.

I'd be up for a Gentlemen's agreement in the GAF tourneys to only try once! It would be in the spirit of the game too since each player in major tournaments is supposed to keep their own scorecard and self-report errors (like accidentally hitting the ball when lining up a shot).

octopiggy

I need nabbit, please be this week!
And no way I'm getting gold trophies this time, f*cked up handicap tournament, unpredictable double peoria and impossible world tournament, -16 isn't enough, this'll be fun x)

Yeah, I've decided not to bother trying too hard with the handicap tournaments and I got 16 on the world tournaments too.

Anyone know what I need for a gold? I guess the more people that enter, the more you are likely to get pushed up the table percentage-wise.

AEREC

I'd be up for a Gentlemen's agreement in the GAF tourneys to only try once! It would be in the spirit of the game too since each player in major tournaments is supposed to keep their own scorecard and self-report errors (like accidentally hitting the ball when lining up a shot).

I like this idea...These should have a tag in their name to indicate that.

Salsa

i'd be up for it too, and then I wouldnt follow it and screw everyone over

patan.gif

Kouriozan

I only restarted NeoGAF tournament n°2, so no problem for me :)

Robin64

Anyone get a download happen just now?

Edit: Must've fixed something.

"An update is required for online play. Do you want to download this update? (This may take some time.)"

More edit: Layer-Cake Desert and Sparkling Waters now appear in the tournament schedule. Layer-Cake is dated for tomorrow. So there we go, Flower Pack is releasing tomorrow.

daydream

Banned

"An update is required for online play. Do you want to download this update? (This may take some time.)"

More edit: Layer-Cake Desert and Sparkling Waters now appear in the tournament schedule. Layer-Cake is date for tomorrow. So there we go, Flower Pack is releasing tomorrow.

Nice! So June 12 for Rosalina, potentially?

octopiggy

More edit: Layer-Cake Desert and Sparkling Waters now appear in the tournament schedule. Layer-Cake is date for tomorrow. So there we go, Flower Pack is releasing tomorrow.

Called it!

Just upgraded my -16 to -17 on the world tourney and now I'm due to get a gold trophy!

daydream

Banned
The trial tours seem to last 2 weeks.

Layer-Cake Desert is on 22nd May.
Sparkling Waters is on 5th June.

So I guess Star Pack will release on 19th June.

Hm, weird. So the first trial tour lasted 2 weeks, but the second one (which is currently going on) only one week, right? Maybe they wanted to push out that second DLC pack before more season pass buyers got anxious.

Robin64

Hm, weird. So the first trial tour lasted 2 weeks, but the second one (which is currently going on) only one week, right? Maybe they wanted to push out that second DLC pack before more season pass buyers got anxious.

You're right, that's odd. Two weeks for Toad Highlands but only one week for Koopa Park. So it might be that Sparkling Waters only gets one week too. I guess Star Pack could be either June 12th or June 19th, then.

Yep, it seems that the patch was for the Callaway Tournaments and to prepare for the next round of DLC.

I have to give Camelot props for actually making their own patch system, too. It's really smooth.

Their "update days" for tournaments are Thursdays, so if they planned 3 weeks between packs then they have to make one of them 2 weeks and the other 1. I think that's all there is to it.

At least we're getting a couple more courses tomorrow. Hyyyyyyyyype!

daydream

Banned
Their "update days" for tournaments are Thursdays, so if they planned 3 weeks between packs then they have to make one of them 2 weeks and the other 1. I think that's all there is to it.

At least we're getting a couple more courses tomorrow. Hyyyyyyyyype!

Yeah, makes sense. :) HYPE!

Kouriozan

Alright, -18 in the World tournament.
6th in the low handicap and 1st in the medium one.
Only the double peoria scare me now, but I'm getting 3 gold trophies so whatever :p

Edit : Nabbit soon, I'm excited!!

Top Bottom