• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Golf: World Tour |OT| Bring Cursing to the Fore with Mario and Friends!

The Legacy Black Club, gotten only through the Callaway event, is the only +18Y club that you can use with a Fade character without any penalty.

Oh, and it doesn't add draw or fade. So, it's the best club in the game for power builds.

RoadDogg

The Legacy Black Club, gotten only through the Callaway event, is the only +18Y club that you can use with a Fade character without any penalty.

Oh, and it doesn't add draw or fade. So, it's the best club in the game for power builds.

Can you explain what the "doesn't add draw or fade" means? It definitely makes my character draw.

Can you explain what the "doesn't add draw or fade" means? It definitely makes my character draw.
It means exactly what I say. It does not add any draw or fade points. The reason you're drawing is because the more power you have the more draw/fade points you get. EDIT: Because of this you need to check an item's actual stats (Press X) to determine them instead of trying to calculate them in your head.

Robin64

It means exactly what I say. It does not add any draw or fade points. The reason you're drawing is because the more power you have the more draw/fade points you get. EDIT: Because of this you need to check an item's actual stats (Press X) to determine them instead of trying to calculate them in your head.

So I can't cancel out the Fade I have on right now, it just comes naturally for having a 260yd drive?

donny2112

Yeah, you can't go past 250Y while maintaining a straight drive.

I'm at 248Y now, so at least I know not to expect more w/o having to fight draws/fades again. Got real good at compensating for those in Mario Golf 64, but I don't want to have to go to that level of detail again, if I can help it here.

Also, Double Peoria ruined my gold streak and can go die. :mad:

Got a silver for that, and I'm pretty satisifed with it. Was also glad to see someone with a +2 regular round end up near the top after the adjustment!

Anustart

I'm at 248Y now, so at least I know not to expect more w/o having to fight draws/fades again. Got real good at compensating for those in Mario Golf 64, but I don't want to have to go to that level of detail again, if I can help it here.

Got a silver for that, and I'm pretty satisifed with it. Was also glad to see someone with a +2 regular round end up near the top after the adjustment!

I got 6th with a +2. Of course I bombed like 4 holes on purpose to gamble, and all the holes I bombed on were Peoria holes, so woot woo!.

maxcriden

Okay, I finally got to try the demo a bit more and actually played through the tutorial this time, as well as the first 3 hole demo course. I played on Manual since I'm guessing that's what I should be doing. I definitely enjoyed it more than I previously had when I just jumped in and pushed buttons without much thought. I can see how it would be addictive. I want to play the rest of the demo courses and hopefully if I'm into it find a good price.

BTW, I got -2 par on that 3 hole demo course with Yoshi. It's probably considered ridiculously easy, but I was pretty proud to see Yoshi do his flutter jump.

daydream

Banned
Okay, I finally got to try the demo a bit more and actually played through the tutorial this time, as well as the first 3 hole demo course. I played on Manual since I'm guessing that's what I should be doing. I definitely enjoyed it more than I previously had when I just jumped in and pushed buttons without much thought. I can see how it would be addictive. I want to play the rest of the demo courses and hopefully if I'm into it find a good price.

BTW, I got -2 par on that 3 hole demo course with Yoshi. It's probably considered ridiculously easy, but I was pretty proud to see Yoshi do his flutter jump.

It begins. :D

Manual is the way to play for sure, btw. Gotta add those spins!

I absolutely love this game but like so many other golf games its silly easy. Im actually a PGA Teaching Professional and was talking to a few other pros I work with and we were trying to think of any golf game that produced realistic scoring. I couldn't think of any but if there are any Gaf would know,

daydream

Banned
I absolutely love this game but like so many other golf games its silly easy. Im actually a PGA Teaching Professional and was talking to a few other pros I work with and we were trying to think of any golf game that produced realistic scoring. I couldn't think of any but if there are any Gaf would know,

Have you tried The Golf Club? That one's got its own learning curve, at least, since you have no bar or anything to directly control your shot.

I just need to find it sub-$20 and I think I can justify it to myself! Haha. And I'm glad to hear Manual was the right way to go. Seems like it would be too simplistic otherwise.

Yup. I'm not sure if the tutorial covers this, but don't forget that you can add top spin (AA), super top spin (AB), backspin (BB) and super backspin (BA) by pressing those button combinations on the second click. :) Absolutely crucial!

maxcriden

Yup. I'm not sure if the tutorial covers this, but don't forget that you can add top spin (AA), super top spin (BA), backspin (BB) and super backspin (BA) by pressing those button combinations on the second click. :) Absolutely crucial!

Whoa, I had no idea! I assume I press those buttons consecutively? Or do I press them at the same time? Thanks, the tutorial didn't mention that at all!

Consecutively. Note that for BB and BA you need to have your button press for accuracy be B. So A to start the bar, A to set the power, and B to set the accuracy and then B or A for backspin.

daydream

Banned
That feels like something they should cover in a tutorial. Nintendo is really trimming the fat off of those, haha. Good for them. Actually, it's smartly handled in the full game where that stuff is on the screen with the mini-games. For a demo that's potentially influencing a purchasing decision, they should make core mechanics transparent, though, I feel like.

(Super Top Spin is AB btw, made a typo above.)

cube444

11 under on the Callaway tournament. I'm used to playing with my Mii who shoots straight, but this tournament forces you to curve the ball, not that thats any excuse for not getting a betting score mind !

I shot a -8 on it. Could have done better though. :(

daydream

Banned
Touch for the spin is actually the superior option because you can more accurately react to the RNG, which is useful when you have a shitty lie.

That and I find setting my 3DS XL on the table and playing with this nice, big stylus really comfortable.

Well, colour me surprised. I actually forgot about the touch controls, that's how little I expected someone to use them.

donny2112

Touch for the spin is actually the superior option because you can more accurately react to the RNG

Touch for the spin is best, since it kept seeming to misread my button presses early on. Started using touch instead, and haven't looked back. Use the D-pad for location to hit the ball, which leaves out the subtlety of going only part-way in a direction, but it hasn't been too bad so far. :)

Honestly don't know how the series sipped on the Wii, it would've been a blast.

Buy We Love Golf. It's Mario Golf without Mario, but it's the same game, since it's by Camelot.

Finished all of the challenges for the new courses. Some of them are completely ridiculous.

For example, for one of the Moon Coin challenges in Layer-Cake Desert, you need to grab the coin that is directly over an out-of-bounds field, facing away from the course. To do this, you need to grab the music block power-up, then shoot the ball with the power-up in a way that the music block will bounce your ball into the coin, grab it, then deflect off of a ledge overhead so that it will travel backwards and land in an non-out-of-bounds area. It's insane.

Another dumb one was one of the Sparkling Waters Moon Coin challenges. For this one, you need to land on a small island near the beginning, then Bullet Bill over to the island near the green while grabbing the Firework... thing (what is that called, anyways?). Then you need to use the Firework power-up to grab the Moon Coin high up on a mountain directly behind the green, but you need to also make sure to hit the wall behind the coin or else you'll be out-of-bounds (so simply falling into the coin won't work; trust me, I tried). THEN you can finally use your last two strokes to aim for the hole. However, the window you have for the Bullet Bill shot is ridiculously small. When landing on the first island, you need to make sure you land on the far left edge of the fairway. If you land in the rough, you won't have enough power to reach the second island (even with Star Bowser). If you land just a tiny bit to the right, you won't even have a clear shot for the second island because the cliffs on both sides will be blocking the path. Good luck landing in this little spot with the strong wind, by the way.

And for the love of all that's good, don't miss the putt!

Where do you buy mulligans? They aren't in the regular shop with the clothing. Do they get unlocked at a certain point?

In the outdoor area that leads to the special courses, go all the way to the left and down; there should be a black space ball thingy that Kamek pops out of.

SHarris78

In the outdoor area that leads to the special courses, go all the way to the left and down; there should be a black space ball thingy that Kamek pops out of.

Thanks for that, maybe i stand a remote chance of completing the one putt challenege now!

Edit : one on one putt 9 hole challenge completed!! (Had to use 2 mulligans on the 8th hole though). Great prize it gives you :p

Just got round to buying this. Waiting for the download to complete. Sleep mode download gets very finicky when you can't leave it in sleep mode due to impatience.

honestly i wasnt too sold on the demo but im thinking about getting the game again maybe the retail version. what you guys say the meat of the game really is? online mp or a certain game mode? thanks

Salsa

is it weird that I still like this more than the later hot shots but I have 0 interest in items?

im not even participating in items tourneys

also still not getting the DLC. trying to be smart about it and get it if I still have interest by the time im 100 percent done with what the vanilla game has to offer

Dunbar

Is there any reason playing this game would cause my Mii Plaza to balloon in size? I haven't used my 3DS for anything but Mario Golf in months and all of a sudden today I had over 1100 Miis in my plaza. My 3DS hasn't even left my house.

Anustart

Is there any reason playing this game would cause my Mii Plaza to balloon in size? I haven't used my 3DS for anything but Mario Golf in months and all of a sudden today I had over 1100 Miis in my plaza. My 3DS hasn't even left my house.

Yeah I dunno. I went into my plaza today and got the 1000 mii achievement as well.

daydream

Banned

Oh yeah, that totally happened to me. Didn't think of attributing it to Mario Golf. Maybe every Mii you play against online counts toward your plaza population?

Kouriozan

Oh yeah, that totally happened to me. Didn't think of attributing it to Mario Golf. Maybe every Mii you play against online counts toward your plaza population?
I'd say everyone you see in the tournaments are added to the plaza, jumped from 300 to 1500 and it was one week ago x)

Anustart

Anyone got a great time yet in speed golf? Wish there was more tourney talk in here :(

Edit: Just got a 4:18.97 with an 11 second mess up on a hole :( Can also improve by another 5 seconds once I figure out another hole as well. I'd say with some luck a sub-4 minute run is possible.

Top Bottom