• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 has the best online matchmaking in a non-PC game ever?

Wait, every "community" comes with its own distinct, set rules? So "NeoGAF - Bananas all the time" and "NeoGAF - No blue shells," etc? What is the point of that?

-KRS-

So what should be the super-elite-tournament rules for this game. I assume we can immediately tick the "No items allowed" at least :p

:lol can you imagine how boring that would be?
Battle-mode with no items!

So what should be the super-elite-tournament rules for this game. I assume we can immediately tick the "No items allowed" at least :p

Everyone is Mario, green shells only, final destination rainbow road.

mdtauk

Balloon stealing and stage knockouts via turbo boosts only!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I didn't know you can turn off certain items. Best Mario Kart confirmed.

As far as I'm aware you can only select from pre-set item selection that is grouped, so you can't, for example, turn off a specific item. EG: You can't turn off the blue shell, but instead every shell based item.

Which is typical Nintendo stupid infecting an otherwise good idea.

-KRS-

As far as I'm aware you can only select from pre-set item selection that is grouped, so you can't, for example, turn off a specific item. EG: You can't turn off the blue shell, but instead every shell based item.

Aaww. All my hopes and dreams, crushed. :(

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
It'll be nice to play against GAFers regularly. I was always too lazy to add a bunch of people so I usually didn't bother and just played against random people.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
nintendo's really weird

like, they'll be super behind in some areas for a long time, and then come up with something different that's brilliant and different from what other companies are doing and you go "wow that's really cool and smart I'm on board!"

and it takes you a minute before you realize they still will not actually give you what you asked for in the first place

it's like their brains work differently than ours

nintendo's really weird

like, they'll be super behind in some areas for a long time, and then come up with something different that's brilliant and different from what other companies are doing and you go "wow that's really cool and smart I'm on board!"

and it takes you a minute before you realize they still will not actually give you what you asked for in the first place

I think it's just because getting something like this in one piece of software and tailoring it to that software is an awful lot easier than integrating at a system level and having it work with all games.

It sounds like a neat idea. Let us hope they run with it.
The problem is that this is limited to Mario Kart 7 only. They need to go back to their original plan and make this Communities a part of the OS with a System Update.
They really should. Adding these online functions improves my chances of buying a 3DS and sticking with it.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
More shocking: a positive Nintendo thread on GAF by a mod. Will wonders never cease?

What is this thread?

You still have to share a 14 digit room code to people so that they can join the "Community".
You cannot browse rooms and randomly join one (other than "recommended" rooms).
The leaderboards are reset once every month.
You can't customize the items other than choosing All items, Bananas only, Bob-Ombs only, Shells only, Mushrooms only or no items at all.

Good things though: You have a recently played list and you can quick join people from the game or friends from the system menu.

Also, people that you meet online in Mario Kart 7 will show up in Super Mario 3D Land with gifts (I got a fire flower, yay).

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Does someone know if blue shell appears in the serious modes that are mushroom only & banana only?

Medalion

Banned
nintendo's really weird

I think that is a good thing, I don't want competitors to all think alike, some uniqueness goes a long way... perhaps it's not what you personally wanted, but it's still a good thing.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
My mariokart arrived today. shame I can't play it yet. but is there a GAF community yet?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
What is this thread?

You still have to share a 14 digit room code to people so that they can join the "Community".
You cannot browse rooms and randomly join one (other than "recommended" rooms).
The leaderboards are reset once every month.
You can't customize the items other than choosing All items, Bananas only, Bob-Ombs only, Shells only, Mushrooms only or no items at all.

Good things though: You have a recently played list and you can quick join people from the game or friends from the system menu.

Also, people that you meet online in Mario Kart 7 will show up in Super Mario 3D Land with gifts (I got a fire flower, yay).

It's like when people say the new Zelda has 'great characterization'. In a vacuum of their respective series and or developer, they're a big step up, but in the larger context of the industry they're still woefully behind.

But, see, that's the kind of neat thing about Nintendo. Even though they introduce things that are "good for Nintendo", signs that they're starting to move forward are so encouraging that I usually don't care about any of the prior mentioned cynicism. I'm just so damn happy they're finally moving forward, you know?

nintendo's really weird

I just checked the thread where they said it could have been an OS feature.

Goddamn they are dense...

WTF. No turning off only blue shells? Time to cancel those pre-orders.

I keed.

Mistle

The thought of a portable Mario Kart that I can play whenever, which is supposedly better than the DS version and has an even better online system that the Wii (which worked great) is awesome. It comes out in 3 days in Australia. I wasn't going to buy it straight away, but I think I will be now.
3DS is shaping up to be a worthy purchase. And with the 2012 titles coming up, it's going to be a great system all round.

Having a gaf MK community will be really fun.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
3DS is shaping up to be a worthy purchase. And with the 2012 titles coming up, it's going to be a great system all round.

while i mostly agree as I got mine bundled with 3dland, the battery is so bad that it makes me want to punch things.

every damn time that little red light.

Mistle

while i mostly agree as I got mine bundled with 3dland, the battery is so bad that it makes me want to punch things.

Well... great system all round in terms of games :p

While I'm a bit more tolerant with the 3DS compared to some others, if a revision does greatly improve the hardware I'll probably be getting one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Turn off 3D to save power. It doesn't add anything any way. ;)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

3D RULES.

you know what though, I thought I was crazy, but after playing that thing, my computer screen keeps trying to turn 3d on me. I thought I was just dreaming it. But then my girlfriend who is also hooked on mario started messaging me saying 'my computer keeps trying to go 3d'

what the hell is that about?! It's eye cancer isn't it? I knew it was.

Anilusion

3D RULES.

you know what though, I thought I was crazy, but after playing that thing, my computer screen keeps trying to turn 3d on me. I thought I was just dreaming it. But then my girlfriend who is also hooked on mario started messaging me saying 'my computer keeps trying to go 3d'

Haha that happens to me too when I watch something 3d for a long time. Every screen turns "3d", text popping out of web browsers and shit.

Community CODE?
NO. Just no.
I want to be able to tell someone my community name (e.g. euro-gaf), not a cryptic 24-digit-code (e.g. FU9C-8K124-Y2OU-N1NT-3ND0-2M8P)
Nintendo continues sucking at online. ugh.

Community CODE?
NO. Just no.
I want to be able to tell someone my community name (e.g. euro-gaf), not a cryptic 24-digit-code (e.g. FU9C-8K124-Y2OU-N1NT-3ND0-2M8P)

It's a big improvement. I used to play Mario Kart DS with a forum community and it was such a pain in the ass having to add everyone individually and make sure they added you. And then there was a limit to deal with as well.

Mistle

3D RULES.

haha, this happened to me the first week or so after getting my 3DS... but now, not at all.

-KRS-

Or at least turn off the wireless if you're not using it at the moment. Seriously, this adds another hour or two to the battery. It's also amazing how much longer the battery lasts while in sleep mode with wi-fi turned off compared to having wi-fi on.

Edit: And yeah I also get that weird effect on 2D monitors after watching 3D content for a while. It's normal :p

SmokyDave

3D RULES.

I get the same thing if I watch TV after playing long periods on the 3DS.

Really makes me wish someone would make a TV using the same tech.

It's a big improvement. I used to play Mario Kart DS with a forum community and it was such a pain in the ass having to add everyone individually and make sure they added you. And then there was a limit to deal with as well.

A big improvement indeed, but it's a far cry away from "the best online matchmaking in a non-PC game ever".

M3d10n

Community CODE?
NO. Just no.
Do you know how to play on GAF's TF2 server? You need to type a "code" called "IP address"

Want to play on GAF MW3/GoW3/UC3 server? Add *everyone* to you friends list because those games don't have such feature.

The top 100 most active communities are listed in game. Not much different than the server browser in TF2 or Counter Strike.

It's an improvement but in no way up to par with or even better than PSN, let alone XBL.
The very idea is laughable, as long as we need a cryptic code.

Top Bottom