• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 has the best online matchmaking in a non-PC game ever?

Got the game this morning. After you create a community the rules can't be changed without deleting it and making another one with a different set of rules. A bit annoying.
Really, Nintendo. Really.

I mean come on. I mean really. I am not reading this.

:|

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Got the game this morning. After you create a community the rules can't be changed without deleting it and making another one with a different set of rules. A bit annoying.

Could you outline the options when creating a community? What item limits can be applied (is it like the Wii selecting off, balanced, and all?), are there course restrictions, etc?

You can, but not without turning off the other shell items too.
This seems so silly.

I hope they take the community concept and run with it on the Wii U. It sounds like a blast and it'd be fun with proper naming systems, a normal account, custom options and a decent UI.

Cipherr

I dunno, that seems useful in its own right. You can set up a couple communities with different settings, kind of like how PC groups will have multiple servers with different map rotations and so on.

2Fort finally meets its end?

For.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So let me get this straight.

- Each community is essentially a room.
- 100,000 can join, but only 8 can race at a given time.
- Rules (Kart speed and item selection) are set from the get-go and can't be changed.
- There are going to be several Nintendo-created communities, in addition to user-created ones.
- Between popular communities and the ones you're part of, you can select from a wide list of communities to play depending on your mood.

So essentially, this is like Zynga Poker on Facebook. You pick a room/community based on rules, and if it's not full, you start playing.

As others have pointed out, except for the "can't change settings" thing its pretty much identical to PC servers.

rpmurphy

So let me get this straight.

- Each community is essentially a room.
- 100,000 can join, but only 8 can race at a given time.
- Rules (Kart speed and item selection) are set from the get-go and can't be changed.
- There are going to be several Nintendo-created communities, in addition to user-created ones.
- Between popular communities and the ones you're part of, you can select from a wide list of communities to play depending on your mood.

So essentially, this is like Zynga Poker on Facebook. You pick a room/community based on rules, and if it's not full, you start playing.
Multiple groups within a community can be playing at the same time.

muu

This was the kind of feature I was expecting out of Call of Duty Elite. As in, if the tags feature were in-game, and the damn thing worked. Steam had things like this working years ago, but hopefully this will be the wakeup call for everyone else to get their shit together on the next-gen releases. Couldn't have taken 5,6 years for them to finally figure out that no one gives two shits about a worldwide leaderboard that can be exploited/hacked/whatever to become completely irrelevant.

Meanwhile I am left figuring out how to play on the 3DS with a sprained thumb.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, it's neat. Has some great plus sides for people like me who are tired of adding "friends".

On iOS there's a game called 1000 Heroez.
I liked that I simply had to join the "NeoGAF" community, and there was I was among the hundreds of other NeoGAF scores on the leaderboards.

Chris R

I've been saying that PSN and XBLA should have groups for the longest time now. Cool to see Mario Kart have it (I might have to check the game out more, since a friend said it was pretty retro, and I'm in the camp that thinks that Mario Kart on the SNES was the best Mario Kart). Maybe that means the WiiU will also support something similar.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's an improvement but in no way up to par with or even better than PSN, let alone XBL.
The very idea is laughable, as long as we need a cryptic code.

There is no system that is even comparable to this on those services.
EDIT: Well, that maybe a stretch, but it is certainly better than those services at this feature. As a whole PSN and XBLA are still much better, of course.

PSN has chatroom where you can invite the whole room to play SSFIV or UMVC3, but the rooms only limited to 25 :/

Can't see what they are playing, but I assume if they are in the room, they are playing the game.

King_Moc

Banned
I'm all over this tomorrow night. That online setup actually sounds pretty excellant. What do the leaderboards actually track? Wins/losses, time trials?

You can, but not without turning off the other shell items too.

Urrrrrgggghhhh. That is insanely stupid. I KNEW having a simple option to turn off ONLY blue shells was too good to be true and would be too hard for the the dev team to wrap their heads around.

Top Bottom