• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 has the best online matchmaking in a non-PC game ever?

There's something kinda similar on GT5, where you don't need to have the people you race with on your friend list at all, you just need one user ID (that acts as a community) and you just join it through your community tab :) It's a virtual space where the first person that joins will be the actual host.

We do every race on GAF using that system.

It's an improvement but in no way up to par with or even better than PSN, let alone XBL.
The very idea is laughable, as long as we need a cryptic code.

It's a single code that you need to enter once to play with a community of up to 100,000 members. Not seeing whats so laughable about it.

Do you know how to play on GAF's TF2 server? You need to type a "code" called "IP address"

Want to play on GAF MW3/GoW3/UC3 server? Add *everyone* to you friends list because those games don't have such feature.

The top 100 most active communities are listed in game. Not much different than the server browser in TF2 or Counter Strike.

Said it better than I did.

mclem

The problem is that this is limited to Mario Kart 7 only. They need to go back to their original plan and make this Communities a part of the OS with a System Update.

Except, if the ruleset is linked to a community, that then becomes a meaningless concept out of the context of the original game.

I think possibly the ideal option would be to have communities within communities; a community of players (which is system-wide), and a subcommunity of rulesets (which is per-game).

It's a single code that you need to enter once to play with a community of up to 100,000 members. Not seeing whats so laughable about it.

It's an 8-player room. You can't fill the room with more than eight players. I'm not sure how it handles the leaderboards when more than eight people has been in the room, though.

It's an 8-player room. You can't fill the room with more than eight players. I'm not sure how it handles the leaderboards when more than eight people has been in the room, though.

You're not limited to one room per community though right? I was assuming it would just create new rooms when one is full.

Chuckpebble

Do you know how to play on GAF's TF2 server? You need to type a "code" called "IP address"

Want to play on GAF MW3/GoW3/UC3 server? Add *everyone* to you friends list because those games don't have such feature.

The top 100 most active communities are listed in game. Not much different than the server browser in TF2 or Counter Strike.

I was skeptical about the OP's praise, but you've gone and made it all crystal clear now. Thank you. This is very promising.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just realised it was out this Friday. Damn. That snuck up on me. Just placed my Amazon order. Will probably get it on Saturday because I was a bit tardy with my order.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nice, joined the gaf channel and favourited. look forward to seeing you all online at some point! shame I don't get a chance to play for most of the day :(

You're not limited to one room per community though right? I was assuming it would just create new rooms when one is full.

Community = Room.

There is no "Community" option where you get a list of all the people and then make a room, inviting the people from such a list.

You join or create the community/room and then race the people that are in the room. If the room is full you have to make another one and spread the new code to the people you want to race with.

Community = Room.

There is no "Community" option where you get a list of all the people and then make a room, inviting the people from such a list.

You join or create the community/room and then race the people that are in the room. If the room is full you have to make another one and spread the new code to the people you want to race with.

Ugh. Well thats dampened my enthusiasm quite a bit. I was assuming it would be like the friends option in MK:DS where you just click friends and it sets you up in a game with people on your list.

Azure J

Wow, I mean I knew bits and pieces about this Communities feature and saw the positivity for it already on GAF, but reading everything laid out like that... Jeez Nintendo, now you want to be good at online? :lol

At the same time, this shit needs to be at an OS level. I hope they don't reserve it to being a feature of specific games when every multiplayer game on the system could benefit from it. Also, this is a must for Wii U.

Is such a thing even possible?

I dunno, therefore Pikmin...

M3d10n

Community = Room.

Given the current limitations, it's a good thing it isn't a OS-wide feature (yet). This way its easier for Nintendo to improve and expand the system before they have it solid enough to be added to OS (or at least on the Wii U).

Mechazawa

Thread title took me for a spin.

That's not matchmaking(or at least how I define it) and PC isn't even particularly known for doing it well. Sounds like an awesome feature, though.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Right from the get-go, you'll be able to join Nintendo-created Communities with their own unique rules- such as speed class or items available. Communities come in all sizes—from two players up to 100,000, and every Community has a leaderboard, giving the best players bragging rights.

iQuqJoCraxZJu.gif

It may be only for one game, but goodness gracious Nintendo got it right!

Community = Room.

Wait wait wait.

So when they say a community can have 100,000 people in it, what they mean is a community can have 8 racers and 99,992 spectators at any given time?

Or can any number of people be in a community room at once and have multiple races going according to that single rule set?

I would've assumed the latter given that Nintendo has said they'll have Nintendo-sponsored communities. What good is that if hundreds of people will be trying to race there at any given time?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Right from the get-go, you'll be able to join Nintendo-created Communities with their own unique rules- such as speed class or items available. Communities come in all sizes—from two players up to 100,000, and every Community has a leaderboard, giving the best players bragging rights.

Okay I said wow

Agent X

Gold Member
This is a very good idea from Nintendo. While it seems to be more like a password-protected "room" as some have mentioned, it is more than what was previously offered, and I'd have to say it is certainly a step in the right direction.

If each community has the ability to maintain its own leaderboard, then how extensive will it be? I'd guess that the user statistics are maintained on a central leaderboard, and the community leaderboard essentially filters most or all of its information from the central leaderboard.

Wait wait wait.

So when they say a community can have 100,000 people in it, what they mean is a community can have 8 racers and 99,992 spectators at any given time?

Or can any number of people be in a community room at once and have multiple races going according to that single rule set?

I would've assumed the latter given that Nintendo has said they'll have Nintendo-sponsored communities. What good is that if hundreds of people will be trying to race there at any given time?

I actually haven't been in a room that has had more than eight people, but you can probably have 100000 people on the leaderboard - however there is only room for eight people to race at a given time.

Mafro

Got the game this morning. After you create a community the rules can't be changed without deleting it and making another one with a different set of rules. A bit annoying.

Yeah, it's a step in the right direction, and it's still utterly shitty. "Best online matchmaking"?? Are you just trolling people who've played any non-Nintendo online games in the last 10 years? Ridiculous. This fucking sucks.

While I won't be playing this game. I've gotta say this is exactly the way console/handheld online infrastructure needs to be heading.

Props to Nintendo for doing something that should have been done by everyone at the beginning of this generation.

I hope this sets a standard for the future.

Resistance 2, GT5 did this too, kinda. It was great, not sure why every game don't do this.

If it has leaderboards, ability to race against others (not just inside your own Community) that would be amazing.

This was first supposed to be a OS level system right? That would have been awesome.

Kyoufu

Can you choose which Community room you want to join from a list in the game or do you need to be invited to one? I'm a little confused.

Michan

We have to decide which item and which speed class NeoGAF will use now.

Shells are the best tactical items, aside from that fucking blue one... so that pretty much rules out any fun there.

Perhaps there should be communities for all items, no items, and the various item sets. Depending on our mood, we could have a race of our choice of type with fellow Gaffers at any given moment.

Whichever way, I can't wait to start having seasoned races against fellow members of my favourite community beginning this Friday <3

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ugh. Well thats dampened my enthusiasm quite a bit. I was assuming it would be like the friends option in MK:DS where you just click friends and it sets you up in a game with people on your list.

At first glance it looks pretty shitty, but its yet another point that makes it similar to dedicated servers on PC: if the server is full, you're out of luck.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have done something better though :/

Javier

So let me get this straight.

- Each community is essentially a room.
- 100,000 can join, but only 8 can race at a given time.
- Rules (Kart speed and item selection) are set from the get-go and can't be changed.
- There are going to be several Nintendo-created communities, in addition to user-created ones.
- Between popular communities and the ones you're part of, you can select from a wide list of communities to play depending on your mood.

So essentially, this is like Zynga Poker on Facebook. You pick a room/community based on rules, and if it's not full, you start playing.

OBIJ1.png

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Communities sound better every time I hear about them. I wish the concept could be applied to the system for all games, like Iwata Ask referenced. But alas.

Leaderboards for each community sounds great as well.

We have to decide which item and which speed class NeoGAF will use now.

Anything less than 150cc will be terrible.

At first glance it looks pretty shitty, but its yet another point that makes it similar to dedicated servers on PC: if the server is full, you're out of luck.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have done something better though :/

Right, it's just disappointing because it would have been perfect for gaf use. We're either going to need multiple "communities" or it's going to be hard to get in a game. It is better, just not by as much as I thought.

SykoTech

If they haven't implemented the option to turn off certain items (or at least the Blue Shell), then they get no praise from me.

*pouts*

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
But if i understand this right now, on release day there is just going to be a dozen of community codes being posted on GAF, instead of just one where everyone can join and create their own room where you can simply click "join".

Oh well, better than before at least.

Top Bottom