• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

This game is fun, could see it being a multiplayer mainstay for years. The powerups seemed kind of nerfed in the demo though, didn't see a single instance of lightning or blue shells.
I think lightning may be gone cos of the gravity, but I'm sure blue shells were out of the demo to make the races seem cleaner and less chance of swearing.

Roo

I think lightning may be gone cos of the gravity, but I'm sure blue shells were out of the demo to make the races seem cleaner and less chance of swearing.

I don't see the relation between lightning and the gravity thing. When you're on a wall or the ceiling for that matter, they act like if you were on the floor. You can't fall and land over the "real floor" because you need to cross the line/area to change your tires.
Technically the game would crash since it doesn't know what to do when the anti-gravity tires are activated but you're racing in a normal area.

Unless they change to normal tires when a lightning strikes I don't see how it would affect the player that is on a wall sice the anti-gravity change is automatic and we can't control that.

And about the Blue shell they probably wanted to keep the items as Basic as possible. Even starman, fake item Box, leaf, bullet Bill or bomb- omb weren't there.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I hope all the FZero references they read will make them go the extra mile, add a 200cc mode with futuristic cars. Do it Nintendo. As soon as miiverse allows free topic creations, I'll launch a movement asking devs for this :)

FNSKmiE.jpg

Not a lot of high res images online of the actual end-of-movie race. Anyone able to get some good shots and compare them to this track?

GamerJM

Banned
I actually said HOLY FUCK at how the visuals looked. They did NOT look LAZY at ALLL. Damnnnn. The first time I was really impressed by Mario Kart visuals, and it looks trippy on top of it. Weeping. Hope I'm not alone :(

Just a reminder, but Super Mario Kart was very impressive for its time.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I have to imagine it's 720p if they aim for 60fps.

It seemed like it was 720p at the Best Buy event yesterday, but I could very well be wrong. It was a pretty big TV, and we stood literally two feet away from it.

That's what I was afraid of. I thought someone was saying it was 1080p. Oh well, I guess we can't expect it to look this nice at 1080p and have 60 FPS on Wii U.

Thanks.

Shahadan

Too bad antigrav appears to be useless. It doesn't change anything during the race. I was hoping for upside-down karts or even inverted controls. Fuck.

Coolwhip

Banned
This is what I imagined what Gamecube Mario Kart would look like as a kid. Since I was a huge fan of SNES and N64 Mario Kart. I actually had dreams about it.

Anyone else as dorky as me?

Too bad antigrav appears to be useless. It doesn't change anything during the race. I was hoping for upside-down karts or even inverted controls. Fuck.

It's a racer, there's not so much that can change. Inverted controls would be dumb, confusing and hurt the game (specially if the controls just flip in the middle of a race). But you're wrong because it does shake things up. The games are about choosing different paths, the best and fastest to win the race, and with anti-gravity (besides flying and going underwater) there can be lots of tricks and faster routes. Look at the city stage in the demo, you can choose to go through the wall for speed boosts or in the normal road. Besides, it makes the game look prettier and crazier (design wise).

Shahadan

It's a racer, there's not so much that can change. Inverted controls would be dumb, confusing and hurt the game (specially if the controls just flip in the middle of a race). But you're wrong because it does shake things up. The games are about choosing different paths, the best and fastest to win the race, and with anti-gravity (besides flying and going underwater) there can be lots of tricks and faster routes. Look at the city stage in the demo, you can choose to go through the wall for speed boosts or in the normal road. Besides, it makes the game look prettier and crazier (design wise).

I agree, I just wished it would add something control-wise, like the flying mechanic. BTW when you're flying controls do change a bit (and I loved seeing people not getting you could adjust your height), and even while I agree that inverted controls would be a bit much for mario kart, there should be something done like more adherence or whatever.

Galang

Banned
That's what I was afraid of. I thought someone was saying it was 1080p. Oh well, I guess we can't expect it to look this nice at 1080p and have 60 FPS on Wii U.

Thanks.

Hmm I swear that was said too. Pretty sure watching the Developer's Direct they said they were aiming for the final build with 1080p and 60 FPS even with 2 players. Going to rewatch and see :S. Maybe it was another game

EDIT: I guess it was just 60 FPS. No confirmation on resolution

Roo

Hmm I swear that was said too. Pretty sure watching the Developer's Direct they said they were aiming for the final build with 1080p and 60 FPS even with 2 players. Going to rewatch and see :S. Maybe it was another game

EDIT: I guess it was just 60 FPS. No confirmation on resolution

If the target is 60fps even with 2 players, 720p is pretty much the resolution this game runs at.

Xun

I'm still amazed this game looks as good as it does, especially after Mario Kart Wii.

Visually it looks beautiful (aside from the lack of anti-aliasing).

I agree, I just wished it would add something control-wise, like the flying mechanic. BTW when you're flying controls do change a bit (and I loved seeing people not getting you could adjust your height), and even while I agree that inverted controls would be a bit much for mario kart, there should be something done like more adherence or whatever.

I'm not sure, but I think I noticed that with anti-gravity going off the road doesn't slow you down. That might be a change.

Pineconn

Just wait until we see more tracks. I'm sure that Rainbow Road and the other final tracks will be absolutely nuts.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how many consoles this + 3D Mario together would have sold during the holidays. Hope it's early spring at the least!

DaBoss

Just wait until we see more tracks. I'm sure that Rainbow Road and the other final tracks will be absolutely nuts.

All it really does it change the course design to accomodate it, it doesn't seem like it changes gameplay dramatically other than racers spinning out if they touch each other.

ugoo18

All it really does it change the course design to accomodate it, it doesn't seem like it changes gameplay dramatically other than racers spinning out if they touch each other.

So i wasn't imagining the spinning out thing then.

That's possibly going to make close finishes a lot more tense.

FlyFaster

I think 720p will be fine. I want a 60fps to be locked down.

Also, when using the anti grav, the game won't upside down will it? I hope the camera turns over so I'm not looking at this upside down.

Baron van Dedem

Neo Member
I think 720p will be fine. I want a 60fps to be locked down.

Also, when using the anti grav, the game won't upside down will it? I hope the camera turns over so I'm not looking at this upside down.
Cam just turns with you. It's not a real new gameplay feature, it's just track design. Many arcade racers have done this for years.

Mory Dunz

I think the lack of AA is to keep 60 fps during multiplayer.

They are probably hoping that it becomes unnoticeable in motion, which it does imo.

Davey Cakes

I think the lack of AA is to keep 60 fps during multiplayer.

They are probably hoping that it becomes unnoticeable in motion, which it does imo.
I love AA, but it's a worthy sacrifice for smooth multiplayer.

Has there been any mention that this game supports 4 player split-screen online (or 5 even, considering the Gamepad) or is it looking like another Mario Kart Wii?

Roo

Surprised to see so many people hating on MKWii's graphics. I think they look fantastic, tbh. Very clean and stylish.
To be honest, the game wasn't even pushing the hardware. They definitely could do a better job regarding the game's graphics.
I love AA, but it's a worthy sacrifice for smooth multiplayer.

Has there been any mention that this game supports 4 player split-screen online (or 5 even, considering the Gamepad) or is it looking like another Mario Kart Wii?

Hope they get the 4 player split screen plus gamepad user multiplayer mode to work flawlessly.
They can't let Sega beat them in their own game right?
I'm a little bit concerned though, The multiplayer mode had a huge framerate impact. 20 fps or something like that.
Here I am hoping that was because it was a multiplatform game and all the versions weren't as polished as an exclusive first party game but we'll see.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I still hope they bring in some WarioWare characters to spice up the roster.

And maybe Dixie now that she's back in DKCTF?

Playing Mario Kart 7 because of how hyped I am to play 8, and I gotta say that this is probably the worst Mario Kart since 64. I think reviewers got this one totally wrong: they praised it for being a return to form, a more skill-based Mario Kart than those preceding it. But to me it feels completely dumbed down from Mario Kart Wii, and I hate how slow online races are. The track designs are really good, but other than that, I can't find a lot to like. I think the only reason they praised it for being skill-based is because Nintendo nerfed the blue shell, but that doesn't make up the skill gap from lack of wheelieing at all. I hope Mario Kart 8 is fast as hell, adds some nuance, and defaults online to 150cc. Because this just isn't doing it for me.

Playing Mario Kart 7 because of how hyped I am to play 8, and I gotta say that this is probably the worst Mario Kart since 64. I think reviewers got this one totally wrong: they praised it for being a return to form, a more skill-based Mario Kart than those preceding it. But to me it feels completely dumbed down from Mario Kart Wii, and I hate how slow online races are. The track designs are really good, but other than that, I can't find a lot to like. I think the only reason they praised it for being skill-based is because Nintendo nerfed the blue shell, but that doesn't make up the skill gap from lack of wheelieing at all. I hope Mario Kart 8 is fast as hell, adds some nuance, and defaults online to 150cc. Because this just isn't doing it for me.

Couldn't disagree more. Online races in MK7 are fun. The best player usually wins. The weapons are well balanced. Wheelies made all the karts useless in MKWii. And between courses, coins, custom karts, gliders, and underwater, there's a lot to MK7. It's mechanically the best (even if Double Dash is my personal favorite).

RetroGreg

Wow, I love 7 and can't get enough of it.

ffdgh

Wheelies are not all that and when you hit 10k vr it's always 150 or mirror =/

And I must say I greatly prefer Mario Kart 7 online if only for the character variety online instead of seeing daisy and Mach bike and funky with flame runner constantly.

Wheelies are not all that and when you hit 10k vr it's always 150 or mirror =/

And I must say I greatly prefer Mario Kart 7 online if only for the character variety online instead of seeing daisy and Mach bike and funky with flame runner constantly.

Ah, okay. Maybe I just didn't play online enough before. To be fair, I never really liked online in MKWii either, so maybe it's a lack of human opponents getting me down. That being said, I do think wheelies are all that. But I'll probably try and grind out some games to unlock 150cc.

Roo

It's your opinion and I respect that but Mario Kart 7 is definitely the best MK game. They took the best from previous entries, added new non-intrusive feature and tweaked mechanics and items here and there.

Online races on the other hand are a love or hate thing. If you're playing against pro racers, full room, even 100cc races can turn into a chaotic mess. Sometimes you even feel 3 laps are not enough but if you're playing against new players and at that speed it certainly can be a boring thing.
They definitely need to fix how random online matches are selected and 150cc should be the lowest speed.

Veal

Anyone reminded of Nintendo ON (lolz) with this game visually?

You know what would be neat for Mario Kart 8? Lakitu mode. Multiplayer only.

The player with the Gamepad can control Lakitu and gets the ability to fly around the map freely (think Metroid Blast controls) and can throw items that could either help or sabotage other players. The player earns the ability to throw items after responding to racers going off course and saving them charging two coins in the process (ha!). The more coins Lakitu earns before spending them, the bigger the item/effect will be.

It's your opinion and I respect that but Mario Kart 7 is definitely the best MK game. They took the best from previews entries, added new non-intrusive feature and tweaked mechanics and items here and there.

100% a Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Wii fan myself. Do love the course design in 7 though, and the inverted gravity in 8 looks fantastic. I do feel like these two games both added features that don't really mean much. Gliding and underwater sections are nice, but they don't feel very different at all. And the anti-grav sections look amazing, but I don't see them affecting the gameplay. Still, I'm all for em.

Teppic

Not sure what everyone sees in this game. It looks like MK7, which is okay, but is there nothing new? I'm also tired of Nintendo having retro tracks from their last game. I just played those tracks to death, I'm tired of them.

Top Bottom