• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

Grinchy

Banned
After watching the 60fps footage of this game, damn does it look good. Seeing that the Wii U is capable of this makes it such a shame that its current (and mostly upcoming) library is full of such sloppy bullshit.

JordanN

Banned
The game definitely has a nice budget but I'm not so sure why its visuals were being praised beyond what they actually are (especially all the CG claims).

The bloom seems to be overdone at times (Nintendo sure has an affinity for it lately) some of the environments are definitely blocky (trees seem like the ones you find in run of the mill PS3/360 games). I think Peach has some specular maps on her boots which is nice but nothing new. Overall, I'm conflicted where it actually stands nexts to PS3/360. Maybe some of the textures look better but in some screenshots they look very bad (the grass for example). Perhaps it's the lighting that gives it an edge.
ZEFpyX7.jpg

Mithos

The game definitely has a nice budget but I'm not so sure why its visuals were being praised beyond what they actually are (especially all the CG claims).

Because we don't look on crappy bad screenshots, we're actually looking on the TV showing the game?

Screenshots look CRAPPY INDEED, compared to what we've been seeing on the actual TV's.

DaBoss

I don't really care about the technicality of how the games are actually good looking. They are doing well with hiding flaws and attempting to make something look really nice. Games don't need to be technically impressive in order to be graphically impressive. That is some shitty logic.

Roo

I think the surprise and praise come from the fact that the franchise as a whole stopped being a graphical showcase when Double Dash!! launched.
All the entries prior to DD looked amazing for their time but then they stopped that to focus on gameplay, more content and online functions

In retrospect.. DD, DS, Wii and 7 look pretty much the same with minor differences here and there.

It's not about where this game stands next to PS360 or PS4O it's about where it stands next to its previous entries and that my friend, is a massive jump.
People really should stop comparing Nintendo games with the competition. It has been proven that Nintendo games are their own thing, they follow their own path.
It's just silly.

DaBoss

I think the surprise and praise come from the fact that the franchise as a whole stopped being a graphical showcase when Double Dash!! launched.
All the entries prior to DD looked amazing for their time but then they stopped that to focus on gameplay, more content and online functions

In retrospect.. DD, DS, Wii and 7 look pretty much the same with minor differences here and there.

It's not about where this game stands next to PS360 or PS4O it's about where it stands next to its previos entries and that my friend, is a massive jump.
People really should stop comparing Nintendo games with the competition. It has been proven that Nintendo games are their own thing, they follow their own path.
It's just silly.

Well I wouldn't call Mario Kart 7 a graphical showcase, I felt it looked MUCH better than MKWii.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
It's the best looking WiiU game I've seen so far. This is how I hoped 3D Mario on WiiU would look. Such a disappointment that they went for a cheap 3DS up port.

Roo

Well I wouldn't call Mario Kart 7 a graphical showcase, I felt it looked MUCH better than MKWii.

Mario Kart 7 is a souped-up Mario Kart Wii with shaders :p

Yeah I totally agree.
It was a surprise because I expected the art style to be like MK Wii/7.

I think all of us were expecting Mario Kart Wii on dolphin at best.
Sometimes it feels so good to be wrong heh

Wiimote and nunchuck is easily the best control scheme Mario Kart has ever had. I see people online frequently dismissing MKWii's controls as garbage, but then when I ask them they've never even tried those controls.

"yeah they're so bad, you have to press up on the dpad to wheelie!"

Makes me facepalm every time.

I think the game looks like a ton of fun, and I'm definitely anticipating it. But is anyone else getting a vibe that these levels aren't particularly Mario-ey, though? Except for the ghost house and Mushroom Kingdom levels, they look like they could be from any kart racer. The desert and village levels in particular look uninspired. I'm sure Nintendo will pick it up and add a lot of thematics (or maybe there's a ton there that I'm just not seeing?), but for right now a couple of stages look like the Modnation Racers devs getting their act together rather than anything particularly Mario-inspired.

Roo

I think the game looks like a ton of fun, and I'm definitely anticipating it. But is anyone else getting a vibe that these levels aren't particularly Mario-ey, though? Except for the ghost house and Mushroom Kingdom levels, they look like they could be from any kart racer. The desert and village levels in particular look uninspired. I'm sure Nintendo will pick it up and add a lot of thematics (or maybe there's a ton there that I'm just not seeing?), but for right now a couple of stages look like the Modnation Racers devs getting their act together rather than anything particularly Mario-inspired.

They definitely made Dry Dry Desert waaaayy to wide imo and it's too barren so maybe that's why it looks uninspired but again, we saw like 3 seconds of it.
Not sure what village track you're talking about tho

Well, I feel like those houses in particular are nothing like what we've seen in any Mario game. But it is what it is, and it's not like Mario Kart has to stick precisely with established setpieces.

Up port? Da heck? It's a brand new game.

When they revealed the game I thought it was a 3DS game for the first few seconds. It's basically Mario 3D land Wii U edition. Galaxy was revolutionary, this is simply a let down fr many of us Nintendo fans. It's the first 3D Mario on the Wii U and folks were expecting a Mario 64 or Galaxy reveal, not a Mario Sunshine one.

Chibits12

Banned
Saw this thing running at Best Buy today with a Nintendo rep stopping by to get gamers a chance to try it. Visually, it's stunning. I only got the chance to play the new Donkey Kong game though. Time to get a WiiU and a PS4 lol.

They all look like established Mario settings to me. The trolley course looks to be set on Isle Delfino, or possibly Wuhu Island. At least that would be my guess.

No, thats probably a parody of america with a mushroom kingdom setting. Something like little USA in Pilotwings 64.
And I think the joke works and looks great.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Well, I feel like those houses in particular are nothing like what we've seen in any Mario game. But it is what it is, and it's not like Mario Kart has to stick precisely with established setpieces.

a Gaffer with good catch abilities(cant remember the name sorry!) already called it, it's a Lego City Undercover inspired level

a game every WiiU owner should buy, by the way

a Gaffer with good catch abilities(cant remember the name sorry!) already called it, it's a Lego City Undercover inspired level

a game every WiiU owner should buy, by the way

Here is some footage of the entire level with all the houses and the trolleys: Mario Kart 8: Course 2 The Village Single Player Gameplay Footage (E3 2013)

It doesn't appear to be inspired by Lego City Undercover.

edit: You know, I wonder if this is a new Daisy track. Daisy Circuit took place in a seaside resort type setting, and there is a Statue of Liberty style statue in the water that I assumed was Peach, but might in fact be Daisy.

When they revealed the game I thought it was a 3DS game for the first few seconds. It's basically Mario 3D land Wii U edition. Galaxy was revolutionary, this is simply a let down fr many of us Nintendo fans. It's the first 3D Mario on the Wii U and folks were expecting a Mario 64 or Galaxy reveal, not a Mario Sunshine one.

Are you joking? You realise this is an MK thread right?

Azure J

Yeah, 32 tracks is never enough. I can blow through them all 3 times in a good session. Wish Nintendo would add a Nintendo cup after Retro cup, and make stages from different Nintendo games with one unlockable racer for each series. Would be such a great way to capitalize on their legacy.

I don't want to see Super Smash Kart but I do agree that the 32 track limit needs to scram. I hope they explore DLC old courses and put them out at a regular clip. Would be great to see what they'd come up with for N64 courses. Anti Gravity Mirror Mode Toad's Turnpike with its theme intact is the stuff dreams are made of. N64 Wario Stadium would also be nuts.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned

The bloom seems to be overdone at times (Nintendo sure has an affinity for it lately) some of the environments are definitely blocky (trees seem like the ones you find in run of the mill PS3/360 games). I think Peach has some specular maps on her boots which is nice but nothing new. Overall, I'm conflicted where it actually stands nexts to PS3/360. Maybe some of the textures look better but in some screenshots they look very bad (the grass for example). Perhaps it's the lighting that gives it an edge.

Dude it says mario kart on his wheels! Deal done. Game looks incredible :D

Kurt

I do understand ghe comments about the next 3d mario. However we only haven seen a few levels. We do know only a little from it. What about the worldmap? What about the 3d building we saw in the trailer? Trowing snowballs? And so on... I do think that this game will be way more creativity than mario 3d land.

Peru

I do understand ghe comments about the next 3d mario. However we only haven seen a few levels. We do know only a little from it. What about the worldmap? What about the 3d building we saw in the trailer? Trowing snowballs? And so on... I do think that this game will be way more creativity than mario 3d land.

Mario 3D land had a hell of a lot of creativity. It majorly experimented with the 3D Mario formula in form and gameplay and pulled it off- delivered a lot of content, a lot of challenge, endless amount of creative pure platforming and the greatest Bowser boss fight ever. Pay respect.

wrowa

I really wish the game would be a little faster. Love the graphics, love the anti-gravity idea, but the karts are so slow.

Top Bottom