• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Not sure what everyone sees in this game. It looks like MK7, which is okay, but is there nothing new? I'm also tired of Nintendo having retro tracks from their last game. I just played those tracks to death, I'm tired of them.

Gravity sections and promise of branching tracks which is new, and a significant visual overhaul by the standards of Mario Kart.

Tracks in Mario Kart are like characters themselves. As with most racing games. All racers tend to include a selection of classic tracks from past entries, for those who still want to compete on them.

I think he means tracks from the most recent game, which I can sort of understand. But I think a new Mario Kart with new physics can completely change level dynamics. I think the N64 levels are a snooze on their home system, but great on MKWii. Also they have been adding things to the track, and zero-g sections could really change up some older ones.

100% a Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart Wii fan myself. Do love the course design in 7 though, and the inverted gravity in 8 looks fantastic. I do feel like these two games both added features that don't really mean much. Gliding and underwater sections are nice, but they don't feel very different at all. And the anti-grav sections look amazing, but I don't see them affecting the gameplay. Still, I'm all for em.

Underwater just changes the physics, so not much there. But I think gliding does a lot. It opens up nice shortcuts that are completely optional because you can ground your cart ASAP many times. It's also a big risk because if you get hit by a shell, you tumble all the way down to the ground.

Anyway, as for anti-grav, you're right. They haven't shown how it will effect gameplay, but there's a lot of interesting things they could do. For instance, normally when a course diverges into two separate paths, you actually have to separate the players. But with anti-grav, one player could be on the normal ground path and the other player could be on the wall. And because it's Mario Kart with items, the two could somehow interact with each other.

Maybe if you're upside down on a course, you could even lay a banana peel, but it falls to the track below you and lands on someone. So not only do you effect other players differently, certain parts of the track don't work with certain items.

We'll see if they go that far.

Roo

Not sure what everyone sees in this game. It looks like MK7, which is okay, but is there nothing new? I'm also tired of Nintendo having retro tracks from their last game. I just played those tracks to death, I'm tired of them.

It looks nothing like Mario Kart 7 tho

RobbieNick

Played this at E3 today/

Goddamn! Wii U is next gen confirmed. That lighting engine needs to be in EVERY game! Characters looked CGI. Gameplay was great too.

Hell, MK8 impressed me more graphically than the few PS4 games I played today. (Knack, Killzone and Octodad. Killzone 4 looks like 3 only a little sharper.)

big_z

retro tracks are fine but nintendo needs to step up the new content a ton. shitting out the game over and over with only gp, time trials and battle is lazy as hell.

they need to make 32 new tracks along with 16 retro re-imaginations. expand the single player, rip off diddy kong racings adventure mode or something so theres actual single player content. hell make collecting coins double as a way to unlock cosmetic junk. they really need to flesh out the series, it's been so bare bones for too long.

Maybe if you're upside down on a course, you could even lay a banana peel, but it falls to the track below you and lands on someone. So not only do you effect other players differently, certain parts of the track don't work with certain items.

We'll see if they go that far.

On Rainbow Road DS I think banana peels could be planted on the top of the loop, so that was already there. I guess you'll no longer fall to your death if you hit one though.
Curious about throwing a banana peel forward and firing shells, but I think they'll just follow the same rules as anti grav karts, or they'd be useless on half of Mario Circuit.

retro tracks are fine but nintendo needs to step up the new content a ton. shitting out the game over and over with only gp, time trials and battle is lazy as hell.

they need to make 32 new tracks along with 16 retro re-imaginations. expand the single player, rip off diddy kong racings adventure mode or something so theres actual single player content. hell make collecting coins double as a way to unlock cosmetic junk. they really need to flesh out the series, it's been so bare bones for too long.

Being back Mario Kart DS's bosses!

If there's not a Rainbow Cup in this game (64, DD, Wii, DS, 3DS - I guess leaving out SNES and prob GBA as well, maybe saved for the next game), it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

So yeah, in other words, don't expect it :p

I can see your argument if you are just talking about the gliders:
mario-kart-7-glider-DE.jpg

Other than that though, MK8 has Anti-Gravity for the first time in any MK game:

Bikes were not in MK7:

Not to mention it has the biggest leap in graphics in Mario Kart history. I'd say the game is worth getting excited about.

Tagg9

Leave it to Nintendo to somehow make Mario Kart one of the graphical highlights of E3 (even on severely underpowered hardware). I can't wait to play this bad boy in 1080p.

AmyS

I might've already said this here or in another thread, but it has to be said again.

IMO, in terms of visuals at least, not only is Kart 8 the new Mario Galaxy, it's also the new F-ZERO GX at the same time/

I said "holy shit" out loud when the footage for this game started playing.

And I said it again when they announced the Spring 2014 release date.

:(

On Rainbow Road DS I think banana peels could be planted on the top of the loop, so that was already there. I guess you'll no longer fall to your death if you hit one though.
Curious about throwing a banana peel forward and firing shells, but I think they'll just follow the same rules as anti grav karts, or they'd be useless on half of Mario Circuit.

Oh yeah. Good point about RR DS. But they could always rewrite the rules for this game. I do hope the anti-grav stuff has a substantial effect on the gameplay.

Kangi

'Tis okay by me if it's 720p, considering it needs to run at 60fps online, but it's so gorgeous I wouldn't be surprised if it is 1080p.

Roo

:(

Only good things can come out from a 2014 release date.
We have too many games scheduled for this year anyway

If there's not a Rainbow Cup in this game (64, DD, Wii, DS, 3DS - I guess leaving out SNES and prob GBA as well, maybe saved for the next game), it'll be a huge missed opportunity.

So yeah, in other words, don't expect it :p
So I actually think 4 cups x 5 new courses + 4 cups x 5 retro courses would be a great solution (20 of each, 40 in total instead of 32). Once you've played through each of the cups in traditional manner, you can play as many courses in one Custom Cup as you like (single/multi). So it would make little difference having an extra 3-4 minutes of gameplay per official cup.

And that would allow 15 retro tracks in addition to the 5 Rainbow Road tracks. So, 12 more in addition to 3DS Music Park, 3DS Piranha Plant Slide, GCN Dry Dry Desert:

DS Figure-8 Circuit
GBA Cheese Land
Wii Toad's Factory
3DS Piranha Plant Slide / Pipeway*
SNES Vanilla Lake 1

Wii Daisy Circuit
DS Shroom Ridge
GCN Dry Dry Desert*
3DS Music Park / Melody Motorway*
N64 Wario Raceway

SNES Mario Circuit 4
GCN Mushroom City
N64 Yoshi Valley
GBA Broken Pier
3DS Neo Bowser City / Koopa City

GCN Rainbow Road
DS Rainbow Road
Wii Rainbow Road
3DS Rainbow Road
N64 Rainbow Road

Roo

Really hope there is a TON of tracks in this game.

32 tracks is not enough?
But seriously, I think it's time to at least make it 40 tracks (two new cups)
Not holding my breath at all tho cuz I'm 99% sure they'll stick to 32.

By the way.. I've been watching the direct feed gameplay several times and there's not a single 2D background or barrier to be seen in this game. They either did a great job placing them or the game is fully 3D

whos the developer ? ead ?

Yup.
EAD Software Development Group No. 1
Hideki Konno's team.

Played this at E3 today/

Goddamn! Wii U is next gen confirmed. That lighting engine needs to be in EVERY game! Characters looked CGI. Gameplay was great too.

Hell, MK8 impressed me more graphically than the few PS4 games I played today. (Knack, Killzone and Octodad. Killzone 4 looks like 3 only a little sharper.)

Music to my ears.

Yeah, 32 tracks is never enough. I can blow through them all 3 times in a good session. Wish Nintendo would add a Nintendo cup after Retro cup, and make stages from different Nintendo games with one unlockable racer for each series. Would be such a great way to capitalize on their legacy.

Yeah, 32 tracks is never enough. I can blow through them all 3 times in a good session. Wish Nintendo would add a Nintendo cup after Retro cup, and make stages from different Nintendo games with one unlockable racer for each series. Would be such a great way to capitalize on their legacy.
That is actually a great idea, but I have a feeling it might be saved for some sort of "Nintendo Racing" game, possibly late in Wii U's life.

But anyway, some ideas - guess the franchises :p

Saffron City Circuit
Hyrule Field
Rolling Desert
Ylisstol Alleyways
Wild Crossing
Belinsk Opera House
Holosseum
Nowhere Islands
Miniature Garden
Himuro Mansion
Mute City Circuit
Celestial Valley
Labyrinth of Deceit
Norfair Ruins
Pufftop Palace
Lylat Loop

Nintendo Racing would just clutter up their game lineup, which seems like something they don't want to do if they're letting F-Zero die. No reason they couldn't just keep it as a small portion of the Mario Kart experience, we've already got Diddy Kong and Funky Kong, which is a tenuous link to Mario at best. I think it's better not to deviate from having a Mario-focused racer, but it would be great as a bunch of bonus tracks and characters.

Roo

Yeah... no

Honestly, my personal Game of the Show. Looks drop dead gorgeous, creative and after MK7 I have immensely high hopes for this.

Now if they add DLC cups it might be the last MK I ever need.

Penguin

Honestly, I thought the concept of anti-gravity was just silly.

If it just meant.. oh look you can drive on the other side of the track.. and then I played the Boo Mansion stage at Nintendo World.. and my heavens.. I can not wait to see what Rainbow Road is like in this game!

Berg

Wonder if they'll ever do a track editor. I would love to race on courses created by millions of other people

Sendou

Well you certainly didn't play Mario Kart 7 to death. Actually I doubt you hardly even touched it if you think 8 looks like 7.

leroidys

I showed my (mostly) non-gaming girlfriend the reveal trailer for this. Her response was "When do I get to play it??"

I guess I have to buy a wii u now :(

Well you certainly didn't play Mario Kart 7 to death. Actually I doubt you hardly even touched it if you think 8 looks like 7.

It does look like it plays like 7, if you ignore the anti-grav tracks. But you could say each successive Mario Kart looks like the last. The devil's in the details.

Davey Cakes

2014 hurts, but since the game has a chance to have the longest legs of any Wii U game, it's best that Nintendo puts it out when it's ready and fully cooked.

demolitio

I'm really excited for this game and it blew me away more than any other game thanks to the low expectations from the rumors. To me, it completely showed up the new Mario but there's several reasons for that... :p

I'm just worried about the online on this since most of my old Mario Kart buddies are stationed all over now. The online was fun in previous games if not a little basic, but the main issue had to be the big game-altering match glitches that basically ruined certain maps yet people always voted for it still. They need to make sure to fix those ASAP just like any other major bug in MP games.

Mario Kart is the one game throughout life that will always put a smile on my face and never go out of style. Other series come and go, but I remember going to my friends and playing it on the SNES, then buying it on N64 and playing with my friends and family at my house, then playing it on Gamecube at one of my newer friend's house at the time, and so on and so forth. It truly grew up alongside all of us and it's fun for all ages.

I'm really excited for this game and it blew me away more than any other game thanks to the low expectations from the rumors. To me, it completely showed up the new Mario but there's several reasons for that... :p

I'm just worried about the online on this since most of my old Mario Kart buddies are stationed all over now. The online was fun in previous games if not a little basic, but the main issue had to be the big game-altering match glitches that basically ruined certain maps yet people always voted for it still. They need to make sure to fix those ASAP just like any other major bug in MP games.

Mario Kart is the one game throughout life that will always put a smile on my face and never go out of style. Other series come and go, but I remember going to my friends and playing it on the SNES, then buying it on N64 and playing with my friends and family at my house, then playing it on Gamecube at one of my newer friend's house at the time, and so on and so forth. It truly grew up alongside all of us and it's fun for all ages.

They did eventually discover patching with MK7. I expect if there's any Maka Wuhu glitches again, they'll be quicker on it this time.

Other than that, the online portion of MK7 is pretty great.

Roo

They better bring back this dude to Mario Kart 8
Bowsitos_MarioKartWii.png

One of my main characters in Mario Kart Wii and definitely my favorite newcomer
DO IT NINTENDO OR HEADS WILL ROLL!!!

Top Bottom