• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Announced For Wii U

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Yes I think so. Did they mention whether the first person view for MK7 will be back?

not yet, but I think that for all the games shown at E3 we will discover more details in the incoming months.
I hope they'll detail how you use the gamepad: Sonic all star racing transformed did a great job under that point of view.

Neiteio

So I recognized 3DS Music Park and 3DS Piranha Plant Slide, but apparently GCN Dry Dry Desert is also in the game? I see the screen shots with the desert course, but can we really tell from the brief glimpse that it's Dry Dry Desert? I mean, desert-themed levels tend to look more alike than not...

(For the record, I'd be totally cool with GCN Dry Dry Desert; I just want to know if people can tell from the course layout as seen in the media that it matches up)

And of course the video shows how broken wheelies are in MK Wii.

I never get the wheelies hate, they are great for competition. If anything they are needed, specially with all the shit thrown at you in 150cc. It
would be almost unplayable without wheelies. Getting hit by like 5 different things next to the finish line most of the time is not fun, at least with wheelies you can get some lead to recover.

It's not like only a select number of people can use them to make them broken, or that they are difficult to use.

Hackers that use extra speed or unlimited items online, now that's broken and they can go to hell.

Roo

So I recognized 3DS Music Park and 3DS Piranha Plant Slide, but apparently GCN Dry Dry Desert is also in the game? I see the screen shots with the desert course, but can we really tell from the brief glimpse that it's Dry Dry Desert? I mean, desert-themed levels tend to look more alike than not...

(For the record, I'd be totally cool with GCN Dry Dry Desert; I just want to know if people can tell from the course layout as seen in the media that it matches up)

It's definitely Dry Dry Desert
Here, I tried my best to explain it but the trailer from Nintendo's YouTube channel looks shitty, even in HD so a shot from the eShop version could be way more helpful.

j6p7a5c1gZfsH.jpg

The "racing area" is brigther than the limits or fence. If you look carefully, you'll notice both tracks have the same design in the background
jb0kt0SV3ZM3Cm.jpg

jonezer4

Or even the map like in DS and 7. I'm really surprised that isn't there, but the placing is. :/

It was always so jarring to click into rear view mode on a single screen that I seldom did it. But with the gamepad's gyro, you could even just manipulate the controller as if it were a mirror while keeping the forward view in your periphery vision. Hopefully Nintendo gives the option to choose what's on it. (I'd be fine even with a map most of the time, but ZL switches to rearview.) If Nintendo can't even innovate on this damn controller, I'm really curious what the hell the point of its existence is.

vladdamad

Game of the Show for me, no doubt. I've put 70 hours into the multiplayer of Mario Kart 7, and I don't even want to know how long I've played the Wii version for. Game looks absolutely gorgeous, plus 60 fps is amazing news. I'm seriously considering buying a WiiU for this.

A bit disappointed about the choice of the retro tracks from the 3DS version - I feel that something like Rock Rock Mountain would showcase the graphics of the WiiU better. The new tracks look awesome though, and I can't wait to see what other retro tracks they'll pick this time - they'll be hard pressed for the N64 ones, that's for sure, they were already hard pressed for choosing good ones in the previous installment

Hey, someone tell me about this game's gamepad control scheme and what button you have to hold to accelerate.

Because if it's the A button yet again with no option to change it, that's fucking stupid. (I'd much rather hold Y so that I can still actually have some grip.)

Hey, someone tell me about this game's gamepad control scheme and what button you have to hold to accelerate.

Because if it's the A button yet again with no option to change it, that's fucking stupid. (I'd much rather hold Y so that I can still actually have some grip.)

When I played the demo at BBY, It was the A button. The attendant said she didn't know if there would be an option to change it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looking at the Dry Dry Dessert image from MK8, I wonder if this is the beginning of an art style evolution for Nintendo's core Mario universe titles. Mario Kart would be an interesting place to test it out. Big enough to count as a core Mario title, but not committing it to an action-adventure game yet.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's definitely Dry Dry Desert
Here, I tried my best to explain it but the trailer from Nintendo's YouTube channel looks shitty, even in HD so a shot from the eShop version could be way more helpful.

j6p7a5c1gZfsH.jpg

The "racing area" is brigther than the limits or fence. If you look carefully, you'll notice both tracks have the same design in the background
jb0kt0SV3ZM3Cm.jpg

No happy little clouds! :(

Beth Cyra

I'm honestly surprised how good this game looks.

I really wish the Deluxe would be down to 250$ by the time this ships, I would totally buy one just for this game.

FyreWulff

Is the touch screen seriously a horn instead of the obvious rear view mirror?

A lot of the touchscreen stuff at E3 was obvious placeholder. For example, I don't think the final Wind Waker HD is going to have the buttons that quickjump you out to the 'dungeon or island' choice section.

Gleethor

I'm honestly surprised how good this game looks.

I really wish the Deluxe would be down to 250$ by the time this ships, I would totally buy one just for this game.

It'll almost certainly be down to at least $300, which is a little closer to the sweet spot.

bomma_man

Game of the Show for me, no doubt. I've put 70 hours into the multiplayer of Mario Kart 7, and I don't even want to know how long I've played the Wii version for. Game looks absolutely gorgeous, plus 60 fps is amazing news. I'm seriously considering buying a WiiU for this.

A bit disappointed about the choice of the retro tracks from the 3DS version - I feel that something like Rock Rock Mountain would showcase the graphics of the WiiU better. The new tracks look awesome though, and I can't wait to see what other retro tracks they'll pick this time - they'll be hard pressed for the N64 ones, that's for sure, they were already hard pressed for choosing good ones in the previous installment

The N64 tracks are all awful. Should crib old tracks mainly from SMK, SC and DS.

Roo

The N64 tracks are all awful. Should crib old tracks mainly from SMK, SC and DS.

Are you serious?
I'm so glad they left available to pick the best tracks from N64 for this game. I REALLY hope Toad's Turnpike, Royal Raceway, Warios Stadium and Yoshi Valley make the final cut. Those are like my all-time favorite tracks. Couldn't care less about Rainbow Road tho.

Seeing that desert comparison is...something. Is there any other graphic/track comparisons between the older games and this one?
I don't think so. The only retro tracks revealed in the trailer besides Dry Dry Desert were Piranha Plant Slide and Music Park, both from 3DS.

Hey! Royal raceway and yoshi valley are fun.
This man knows what's up.

ffdgh

Oh almost forgot about toad turnpike and wario stadium. I wonder would they keep the former's opposite driving cars in mirror mode

I want royal raceway mostly to see and imagine what a HD Mario 64 would look like when driving to the castle.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I see toad Turnpike has been mentioned; good boy

also, Moonview Highway from MKWII needs to come back. It's got to look glorious with them graphics

Moonviewhighway.png

Roo

They're running out of old tracks to revamp but Royal Raceway would be a good fit.

When they run out of tracks from Double Dash!! and N64, Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 will take their places for Mario Kart 9

Tracks left from each game:
Super Mario Kart: 12
Super Circuit: 13
Mario Kart 64: 5
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: 6 (counting Dry Dry Desert)
Mario Kart DS: 8
Mario Kart Wii: 12
Mario Kart 7: 16 (counting Piranha Plant Slide and Music Park)

Total: 72

DjRoomba

Banned
Good God the graphics are phenomenal.
Are we finally at that "Toy Story level graphics"?
I honestly think we are with this

Ragnarok

My god the delusions. No. You're not at Toy Story graphics with Mario Kart 8. It is the best looking Wii-U game though. Well maybe a tie between this and X.

I made a chart for this when MK7 came out...

Here it is! Not much left from MK64 if they don't start repeating tracks...

When they run out of tracks from Double Dash!! and N64, Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 will take their places for Mario Kart 9

Tracks left from each game:
Super Mario Kart: 12
Super Circuit: 13
Mario Kart 64: 5
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!: 6 (counting Dry Dry Desert)
Mario Kart DS: 8
Mario Kart Wii: 12
Mario Kart 7: 16 (counting Piranha Plant Slide and Music Park)

Total: 72

Ah yeah I'd forgotten there were 20 tracks in SMK and Super Circuit. I guess they're just skimping on those by choice then.

Not to derail the track talk, but what do you guys think will happen with the roster? Mario Kart Wii had the biggest roster at 25 characters, but it got knocked down to 17 with Mario Kart 7.

I'm hoping for a big roster. I'd like to see them keep Shy Guy from 7 and maybe add a few characters from the "New" or "3D Land" series, since those seem to be the current Mario focus. Personally, my picks would be Lemmy or Roy Koopa and Nabbit.

Galang

Banned
Not to derail the track talk, but what do you guys think will happen with the roster? Mario Kart Wii had the biggest roster at 25 characters, but it got knocked down to 17 with Mario Kart 7.

I'm hoping for a big roster. I'd like to see them keep Shy Guy from 7 and maybe add a few characters from the "New" or "3D Land" series, since those seem to be the current Mario focus. Personally, my picks would be Lemmy or Roy Koopa and Nabbit.

The reason the roster was big was because of the 12 players I'm guessing, so no reason for it to get downsized for this version. I can see there being at least 30 characters this time. Not sure who they'll add though..

Is there any statement that they've made stating that Retro Tracks that have already been 'brought back' won't be brought back again?

I ask, because between the graphical update and the anti-gravity stuff, some of the tracks they've already done could be exciting enough to bring back, no?

Amir0x

Banned
Man they really nailed it with the visuals, finally a Wii U game i could be proud of on display. I don't even like Mario Kart games anymore and I meant get it for that alone... decisions, decisions :<

Beth Cyra

They better bring back some characters. I'm pissed they keep dropping Boo for the handheld games damn it.

The King better be in MK8 or I will totally be disappointed.

Is there any statement that they've made stating that Retro Tracks that have already been 'brought back' won't be brought back again?

I ask, because between the graphical update and the anti-gravity stuff, some of the tracks they've already done could be exciting enough to bring back, no?

Maybe, I don't think there's any official word, just they haven't done it yet.

The King better be in MK8 or I will totally be disappointed.

King Waluigi is in, yes.

Have you rewatched Toy Story in the last 5 years? I'd say there were games last gen that were prettier... Not that that should be TOO unexpected, Toy Story is nigh on 20 years old at this point.

Azure J

My god the delusions. No. You're not at Toy Story graphics with Mario Kart 8. It is the best looking Wii-U game though. Well maybe a tie between this and X.

Not that the comparison to Toy Story isn't lofty, but perhaps that's what he was using as a frame of reference for the clean, very well lit and colorful style of Mario Kart 8?

On another note, I would really appreciate a final confirmation on whether or not this game is 720p or 1080p native. Watching all the off screen and recorded stuff has me thinking this game could really be the latter, but the former is a waaaay safer bet.

^Koji, way to make me feel like a fossil at 23.

...................... you can use Y in Mario Kart 7

Galang said:
The reason the roster was big was because of the 12 players I'm guessing, so no reason for it to get downsized for this version.

Ah, good point. I'm going to hope that's the case, too.

My total outside character contender would be Chargin' Chuck. Looks like he's coming back in 3D World. Not an iceberg's chance in hell for Kart 8, but the pickins are a little slim as far as current Mario characters go.

Top Bottom