• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has changed my mind about HD Rumble

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It definitely adds to the pleasure. Try playing with the sound off, and you'll see all it adds, distinctly.

Now it's still under exploited : with it's ability to give insights to left and right hands, why not use it as a gameplay element? ie give information to whether a danger is coming from behind, left or right. I'm not sure MK8 is the best game for such use, but the potential to enhance gameplay is definitely there, like a surround sound.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm seriously surprised by all of the people saying it feels just like normal rumble. I can feel tons of variations. The revving at the start line, the different surfaces you drive on (e.g. smooth vs. bumpy), even collecting coins and using boosts feels totally different. Sure if you think it's going to feel just like you're actually flying along at 100 km/hour you'll be disappointed, but it's nothing like normal rumble found in Zelda or other games.

Regular old rumble can do all that too. The main difference is that HD rumble feels more defined and detailed​, but also weaker. I'd describe the difference like having two pairs​ of speakers, where one produces heavy but a bit muddy bass whereas the other gives you snappier but not as deep bass.

Regular rumble just feels like your controller shaking because something is going on in the game. HD Rumble feels like an attempt to actually signify what that something going on is. A bit like the difference between proper sound effects and beeps and bloops.

Regular rumble just feels like your controller shaking because something is going on in the game. HD Rumble feels like an attempt to actually signify what that something going on is. A bit like the difference between proper sound effects and beeps and bloops.

It's still just beeps and bloops, only the beeps and bloops have a few difference tones now

TZchassis

I like collecting coins with HD rumble. Feedback is satisfying. However, I think it is underutilized as it doesn't signify position the way 1 2 Switch does

playXray

Fuck, been playing Mario Kart all day (including full and half Joy Con) and haven't noticed anything special - am I missing something here?

1,2 Switch changed my mind about HD Rumble... or rather.. it was set then.. amazing tech. Im really expecting games like mario odyssey to use it in an amazing way (for example if you carry around a block with coins in it you will feel the "weight" and the "coins" in the box)

Poppyseed

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me. Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.

I've read some people say that they don't really feel it or notice it. I grant it's a little weak. That's why split joy-con no straps and a semi tight grip are the best.

The rumbles and the motions are very thoughtful and make the game feel visceral.
Add some weed for even more of that feeling.

I agree. I own pretty much every even half decent game on the Switch, and the only one I leave rumble on for is MK8. The spinning of the tires as you hold down the accelerator at the start of the race feels sublime, and the general subtlety of rumble throughout is perfect. This is how you do it. Take note, developers: if you can HEAR the rumble, you're doing it wrong!

It's still just beeps and bloops, only the beeps and bloops have a few difference tones now
Well I did say a bit.

How do you set up the poyu poyu tetris to rumble? Mine didn't shake at all
What triggers it?
It's in the settings/options menu.

I was going to post "I don't feel shit" lol

Now I know. I bet a lot of people think it's not working well

Maybe they wanted to save battery life
It is in handheld mode. He's wrong.

The Hermit

Play MK8 with no sound.

I was also impressed by it in Splatoon 2.

It's similar to the Steam Controller however i don't know if any devs are really applying anything other than regular rumble in steam games.

I noticed in blaster master zero. It's a very cool addition.

hatchx

Banned
Not available in handled mode for no reason

That's not true.

I agree OP, loving the HD rumble. I can feel the difference between power slide rumbling and grabbing a coin or ramming the wall. I love how each side of the controller rumbles if you hit that side of your cart, even in single joycon mode. I always liked rumble and really liking the subtleties of HD rumble.

Firebrand

Tried playing without sound. Well, I get that there's different things happening, the coin thing is more heard from the motors than felt though, haha. Maybe, you can call that "high definition", the subtle effect? Bumping into walls, sure, you can feel left or right, though the left motor seems to dominate when hitting something head on.

Again, I'm mostly surprised they didn't add effects for driving over rougher terrain like wooden bridges etc.

HD Rumble is incredibly overrated and Mario Kart has done nothing to change my mind so far. It's still an incredibly crude form of feedback that's only slightly more nuanced than before

People will just call anything they're not crazy about overrated regardless of whether or not people make a big deal out of it.

The HD Rumble in Splatoon 2 is the most impressive one. It's subtle but very appropriate. For example, you can feel the launch of missiles when firing them.

Have you not been reading this thread? Someone literally said it changed their life

That's up for them to decide, not you. And changed my life doesn't mean greatest thing ever. The Switch changed how I decided to approach all video games going forward, that's not me saying it's the best console or handheld of all time.

Lucifon

I fucking love my Switch. But I don't get HD rumble at all. Don't feel a difference while playing and it's nothing worth even mentioning.
My thoughts exactly. If anything I actually think it's worse than normal rumble. Feels like a weak buzz in every game I've tried so far. Granted still not tried 1-2 Switch.

I was on the fence about the game because I had all DLC and played a lot of online so I didn't know if I wanted to double dip. I finally gave in...

Holy shit. HD Rumble in this instantly made this the best racing game ever for me. Seriously guys. If you haven't already, take the joy con out of the grip and hold them bare (no strap) one in each hand. That's next gen.

I've read some people say that they don't really feel it or notice it. I grant it's a little weak. That's why split joy-con no straps and a semi tight grip are the best.

The rumbles and the motions are very thoughtful and make the game feel visceral.
Add some weed for even more of that feeling.
Must've been some really good weed to feel that passionate about rumble

I've tried myself, sober, I didn't even notice any difference unless I really tried to pay attention to it

That's up for them to decide, not you.

By your metric, nothing could ever be deemed overhyped.

Why even bother disagreeing or arguing anyway about anything, right? After all, everyone's opinion is equally valid--everything has just the exact right amount of hype, clearly. Nothing ever over or under delivers!

Kyzer

Banned
whats crazy is every game that has HD rumble I forget to pay attention and then I find out afterward and think I didnt notice it. Then I play, pay attention, love it, and think its definitely a part of why I like the game so much. Even little stuff like the brakes in MK and the explosions in Graceful Explosion Machine just make the games more satisfying

gogojira

I honestly don't even notice it unless I think about it. I love my Switch, but I seriously don't care about HD rumble so far.

Ammogeddon

I guess I have pig trotters for hands because I can't notice any other than the rumble feedback being generally faint. It's not even something that I'm bothered about anyway. Love my pro controller and the joy cons.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
HD rumble feels nice, and I think it's definitely better than regular rumble. I'm just not sold on the added cost it brings to the system.

By your metric, nothings could ever be deemed overhyped.

Why even bother disagreeing or arguing anyway about anything, right? After all, everyone's opinion is equally valid--everything has just the exact right amount of hype, clearly. Nothing ever over or under delivers!

What? I said it's up for someone to decide if something changed their life.

NFreak

Like... it feels different, and I like it but it doesn't really add much at all. Other than the ball count mini game in 1-2 Switch it's just a different form of rumble to me. Like I said I enjoy it in Mario Kart and Puyo Puyo Tetris but I've yet to see a game that truly uses the feature to enhance gameplay in any way and I'm not sure we ever will even though I could think of a few examples for already released games (not necessarily on Switch).

And I never said it wasn't... It was a micro example as part of the macro point I had already made, since you seemed confused as to how I could arrive to the conclusion of it being overhyped

Person: I enjoy a thing.
You: OVERRATED
Me: Well that's a dumb thing to say.

And we're done here.

Maengun1

Speaking as someone who played literally hundreds of hours on MK8 on WiiU, the new rumble on the Switch version is sooooo much better and it's honestly the thing I'm enjoying the most with the Deluxe version so far. So much more satisfying than before and it's bringing the novelty factor to playing that much of the game wouldn't have for me otherwise.

All these "it's just normal rumble"/"I don't get it" posts are already reminding me of the years of people saying 3D on the 3DS doesn't work or is awful lol.

I apparently like "gimmicks" I guess.

daakusedo

And contrary to splatoon testfire, I didn't have to focus to feel it, was accelerating and got surprised, "what is that", like a liquid moving forward inside the controllers.

Person: I enjoy a thing.
You: OVERRATED
Me: Well that's a dumb thing to say.

And we're done here.

Well, I'm certainly glad you alone are the arbiter of when we're done here. I hope you remain true to your word

Since you've clearly had trouble following the sequence of events, I said "overrated" before most everyone weighed in. You then dismissed my comment by trying to undermine literally everyone ever commented "overrated," at which point I provided an example from this very thread illustrating where I was coming from with my initial comment in a general sense. Which you then started attacking in isolation for equally pedantic and irrelevant reasons, while completely missing the bigger picture.

I noticed it was more interesting in this than zelda or snake pass.

Well to be fair those games aren't designed to take advantage of HD Rumble, they just have regular rumble. It'd be cool as hell if the Snake Pass devs could patch in HD Rumble to the game to make it feel like the snake is slithering in your hand.

Lkr

So the rumble in these games are better than Zelda. Zelda doesn't have hd rumble. Therefore I must notice something. But it doesn't add anything to puyo or Mario kart imo...

ngower

I play primarily with the Pro Controller so I gave the Joy Cons—both split and attached to the grip—a shot, and while I can appreciate what HD Rumble brings, I play like dog shit with them. Pro Controller just feels like regular rumble, but I can actually play without having an aneurism.

Top Bottom