• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe |OT| Deluxe Salt

muteki

I probably know the answer already based of the Wii U version but are there any custom control options for accelerate/brake?

Ponn

Banned
Haha,WOW. Looks like i'm never using Amazon again. Chatted to finally complain about having a game not get release date delivery for the second time in a month (first was Persona 5 TYH edition). They cancelled my Prime membership and refunded me half of the sub fee. Their customer service has really taken the shitter.

How are the wheel attachments and single joycon controls in general?

Single joycon control is serviceable

can't stand the shoulder buttons but everything else works fine

I honestly prefer using the motion controls over the analog stick in single joycon mode because the motion controls in this game are perfect and way better than they ever were in other games

I bought the game!

How can I play with you guys? Is there a discord server for the game?

edit: lol nevermind. It's in the OP. I missed it.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I think my favorite thing about this game is how fucking good it is.

I think my favorite thing about this game is how fucking good it is.

giphy.gif

schopaia

OK so Nintendo's online infrastructure is 2000% better than it ever was during MK8's original release. Almost no lag and not a single disconnect yet. Back in the day I'd be lucky to get 3-4 races tops before being thrown out. Bodes extremely well for Splatoon and Smash.

It may be a combination of the two, but it sounds more like YOUR online infrastructure has improved. I don't remember ever being thrown out of a MK8 lobby, and I'm only now getting occasional disconnects on Splatoon after selling my ethernet adapter and just using wifi.

Neiteio

I want Nintendo's theme park to be real-life replicas of every track in this game.

I want to walk around Piranha Plant Slide.

Owensboro

It's been a while since I've played Mario Kart 8 (like, since release of the Wii U version) and even then I never played a ton. I got a couple of questions for you veterans (didn't see anything in the OP):

1. Anyone got a good crash-course on Kart and Part choices? I understand weight class, but have no idea when I'm screwing myself over with kart & part choices. Is it better to shoot for middle of the road? Acceleration? Grip? Speed? I'm having a serious paradox of choice here and it's stressing me out.

2. What do the star rankings on cups mean exactly? I finished first in the Mushroom cup but only got 1-Star (got 2nd on the 3rd race, 1st on the other 3). How do you get 2 stars? 3?

3. Is the drifting spark just based on time spent drifting, or do you get extra for pumping it like Mario Kart 64 (that's the last MK I played a TON of).

4. Is it better to go for coins up to 10 as soon as possible during a race (meaning: adjust your lines to get coins instead of the optimal corner), or is it better to just get them as you go?

5. Are the heavy weight classes at a major disadvantage online because of their acceleration and (I assume) always being hit by items (shells and such).

Single joycon control is serviceable

can't stand the shoulder buttons but everything else works fine

I honestly prefer using the motion controls over the analog stick in single joycon mode because the motion controls in this game are perfect and way better than they ever were in other games

Thanks. Hopefully Best Buy will have some wheels in stock when I get there.

Which reminds me that I still need to buy Snipperclips to have some multiplayer options.

It's been a while since I've played Mario Kart 8 (like, since release of the Wii U version) and even then I never played a ton. I got a couple of questions for you veterans (didn't see anything in the OP):

1. Anyone got a good crash-course on Kart and Part choices? I understand weight class, but have no idea when I'm screwing myself over with kart & part choices. Is it better to shoot for middle of the road? Acceleration? Grip? Speed? I'm having a serious paradox of choice here and it's stressing me out.

2. What do the star rankings on cups mean exactly? I finished first in the Mushroom cup but only got 1-Star (got 2nd on the 3rd race, 1st on the other 3). How do you get 2 stars? 3?

3. Is the drifting spark just based on time spent drifting, or do you get extra for pumping it like Mario Kart 64 (that's the last MK I played a TON of).

4. Is it better to go for coins up to 10 as soon as possible during a race (meaning: adjust your lines to get coins instead of the optimal corner), or is it better to just get them as you go?

5. Are the heavy weight classes at a major disadvantage online because of their acceleration and (I assume) always being hit by items (shells and such).

1. I'm sure these will surface fairly soon. We got guides and charts and stuff not long after the original release. The stats have slightly changed now.

2. Finish 1st in all 4 races to get 3 stars.

3. It's the duration of the drift.

4. 10 = top speed. I'd go for them quickly.

5. Not really as they have the fastest top speed, and don't get shoved around as much. Plus you can balance them out depending on the vehicle you pick.

It's 3am and I did a stream that lasted six hours. Switch Pro Controller feels great and no problems with it. Double items helps me personally and adds to the fun. Battle Mode is truly back and it's going to be interesting how people tackle it.

Here's my stream of success, getting smashed at times and some F bombs when needed - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk_om3Mt2lg

mazillion

Any Mario Kart experts know the answer to this question?

Item box rarity- is the item outcome calculated when you pick up the box or when it finishes rolling?

Say if I hit an item box in 1st place and the immediately fall back to 4th before it's done rolling, do I get a 1st place item or 4th place item?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
This game is the ultimate proof-of-concept of what the Switch can offer as a platform. It's checking all the freaking boxes. Whew.

Top Bottom